News:

<+Clu> have you tried barbecuing the computer

Main Menu

Games of the Year 2008

Started by Macawmoses, January 13, 2009, 05:13:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ridley

I still say brawl is very good if you just play versus with friends. They shouldn't have added anything else unless they intended to put some effort into it though. Why is the online so horrible?
...Friend codes were probably implemented by the same people who wanted tripping in Brawl...
...It's quite obvious...

Shujinco2

Quote from: mackormoses on January 13, 2009, 11:24:58 PM
Quote from: Shujinco on January 13, 2009, 08:19:07 PM
I don't know if this would have gone in any specific catagory, but I gotta say Mother 3 translation should have gotten something.

Then again, it really wasn't a release, and the game itself is old, so... IDK, but still.
It really didn't count.
Didn't think it would. :(

Doodle

Quote from: Ridley on January 14, 2009, 10:00:07 AM
I still say brawl is very good if you just play versus with friends. They shouldn't have added anything else unless they intended to put some effort into it though. Why is the online so horrible?
The online isn't even that bad. There's some lag on the With Anyone Matches and possibly the With Friends matches. But that's nothing that you can't fix. I used to have TONS of lag, but I used HTA's guide to fix it. ^_^
YEAH

L10

You people keep saying NMH for GotY, don't get me wrong, it was a good game, but it was WAY too short.
MKWii for GotY, No. I personally think it was the worst MK so far(Well, maybe the GBA one was worse, I don't know)
And Brawl doesn't deserve GotY either, like everyone said, it had too much hype and the online sucked. And tripping was the dumbest thing on earth!
0o!f

Nayrman

Quote from: Lichig0 on January 14, 2009, 01:26:40 PM
You people keep saying NMH for GotY, don't get me wrong, it was a good game, but it was WAY too short.
MKWii for GotY, No. I personally think it was the worst MK so far(Well, maybe the GBA one was worse, I don't know)
And Brawl doesn't deserve GotY either, like everyone said, it had too much hype and the online sucked. And tripping was the dumbest thing on earth!
MKWii isn't really game of the year. Sure the bikes were neat, but they didn't add much to gameplay.
Trick system made the game broken (not as broken as Snaking, but at least that took skill...)
Online was also rather shallow. I'm sorry anything short of text chat is auto-fail in my book.

The thing about NMH is that it was an enjoyable experience all the way through, from start to finish. I'd rather have a short, yet completely satisfying game than a longer game with annoying parts. Another example of this is God of War 2. Sure it was short, but it was a thoroughly enjoyable game.

L10

Quote from: Nayrman on January 14, 2009, 02:08:00 PM
MKWii isn't really game of the year. Sure the bikes were neat, but they didn't add much to gameplay.
Trick system made the game broken (not as broken as Snaking, but at least that took skill...)
Online was also rather shallow. I'm sorry anything short of text chat is auto-fail in my book.

The thing about NMH is that it was an enjoyable experience all the way through, from start to finish. I'd rather have a short, yet completely satisfying game than a longer game with annoying parts. Another example of this is God of War 2. Sure it was short, but it was a thoroughly enjoyable game.
Okami is completely enjoyable throughout and that's Really long.

NMH could have had some sort of plot twist to make it longer. NMh had much room for improvement.
0o!f

Triforceman22

can't wait for GoW3

QuoteRobotnik: GET A LOAD OF THIS!!!!!!!!

Nayrman

Quote from: Lichig0 on January 14, 2009, 02:11:38 PM

NMH could have had some sort of plot twist to make it longer. NMh had much room for improvement.
Okami was released on the PS2 in 2006 though X_X;;

I never said it wasn't possible to be long and completely enjoyable. Just few games can pull that off.
It had room for improvement, but all games do. Also, many of the problems stem from the fact that Suda51 isn't Nintendo or SEGA, meaning they dont have the cash flow to spend a long time on a game and make everything great.
Finally...did you not see the final "real" ending of NMH? There was so a plot twist! XD

L10

Quote from: Nayrman on January 14, 2009, 02:19:07 PM
Quote from: Lichig0 on January 14, 2009, 02:11:38 PM

Okami was released on the PS2 in 2006 though X_X;;

I never said it wasn't possible to be long and completely enjoyable. Just few games can pull that off.
It had room for improvement, but all games do. Also, many of the problems stem from the fact that Suda51 isn't Nintendo or SEGA, meaning they dont have the cash flow to spend a long time on a game and make everything great.
Finally...did you not see the final "real" ending of NMH? There was so a plot twist! XD
Yes I did, and the plot twist didn't make the game longer...
0o!f

Eizweir

Here is Cheat Code Central's
http://www.cheatcc.com/extra/2008codyawards/
It's a lot different than that one.  Best game of the year was Little Big Planet
http://steamcommunity.com/id/xluxaeternax

formerly: Marth Xero, Xero, Roy Khan, Diego Armando, Lux Aeterna, and more I forget it was like 11 years ago jeeze

Jono2

Quote from: LinkXLR on January 30, 2008, 09:10:54 PM
Quote from: famy on January 30, 2008, 08:36:30 PM
is big willy unleashed a will smith game

...I'm not even gonna touch this one.

SteamID: Lazylen

Nayrman

Quote from: Jono2 on January 14, 2009, 04:38:49 PM
http://schlaghund.wordpress.com/2008/03/11/no-more-heroes-is-not-punk/

best NMH plot analysis i've ever read.
That was brilliant.
Although I think he went a little deep into some bosses (particularly the first boss), the rest was quite good.
What I think the author fails to remember though is that videogames are just like movies, music, books, etc. They're all escapes for pleasure. Nothing is really considered "art", just what one enjoys and what one doesn't. In that regard I think he's putting games too far below other forms of media.

Jono2

Quote from: Nayrman on January 14, 2009, 04:59:20 PM

That was brilliant.
Although I think he went a little deep into some bosses (particularly the first boss), the rest was quite good.
What I think the author fails to remember though is that videogames are just like movies, music, books, etc. They're all escapes for pleasure. Nothing is really considered "art", just what one enjoys and what one doesn't. In that regard I think he's putting games too far below other forms of media.

it goes majorly with this game though, and it just fits so perfectly.

Quote from: LinkXLR on January 30, 2008, 09:10:54 PM
Quote from: famy on January 30, 2008, 08:36:30 PM
is big willy unleashed a will smith game

...I'm not even gonna touch this one.

SteamID: Lazylen

Nayrman

Quote from: Jono2 on January 14, 2009, 05:09:40 PM
Quote from: Nayrman on January 14, 2009, 04:59:20 PM

That was brilliant.

it goes majorly with this game though, and it just fits so perfectly.
I have to agree with that.
I think more than anything this game was just a big "F U!" to Nintendo (and subsequently all 3rd party developers not named SEGA and Capcom) for making more than 90% of the games kiddy/old people shovelware crap.

HTA!