News:

<+Clu> im 100% nigga

Main Menu

In Between Dreams

Started by Macawmoses, February 09, 2009, 06:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macawmoses

For someone like me, that "Old Time Rock N Roll" and country hits by legends in their own right, like Garth Brooks, make up most of my library. In fact, I rarely listen to anything else. So when something that is different comes along, I tend not to take notice. Unfortunately, this was the case in 2005, when I blatantly ignored "In Between Dreams".

Simply put, Jack Johnson is fantastic. The Hawaiian surfer offers an acoustic rock that is unrivaled anywhere. It's so deep, yet the melodies are oh so thin. His raggedy voice cuts through the vibrant tunes, yet complements it perfectly. Acoustic sounds are hardly used effectively these days, but Johnson pushes that stereotype away with ease.

Unique sums up most of these tracks, but that is only one appeal Jack composes. The other - simplicity. Rather than going crazy with effects and utter nonsense (like one Kanye West), Johnson sticks to the fundamentals, and this does him well. Lyrically, he speaks of issues we all do; love, longing, and life.

His brilliance is unrivaled. "Better Together" is not only rhythmic, but it is incredibly deep. Speaking of deep, "Breakdown" really fits the bill, as he speaks of his journey on a train, watching people move on with their lives, and his longing for something more. Escape humanity, get back to the basics.

These two tracks really stand out, but every one is passable. I'm yet to be disappointed, and I'm hardly a fan of alternative music. Not all of the songs have the mastery the prior two do, though. I found "Banana Pancakes" particularly weird, failing to complement Johnson like his other tracks. Not bad, but not stellar.

However, I highly recommend those of you that are after "light" music to see why Barack Obama had Johnson perform at party in Hawaii, and why I sit here praising him. Even those of you that aren't fans of this style of music, such as myself, should find some enjoyment out of "In Between Dreams". Of course, only those of you "Good People".

Rating:

9/10

Eizweir

I'm usually into the heavier stuff, like the best band ever Sonata Arctica, but I was seriously impressed when I looked this album up on project playlist.  It has the paradisaical (sp?), emotional feeling that's really enjoyable.  His voice is amazing, and the instrumentals keep a constant rhythm that's easy to keep track of.

It's definetly not a new favorite or anything, but I'm moderately interested.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/xluxaeternax

formerly: Marth Xero, Xero, Roy Khan, Diego Armando, Lux Aeterna, and more I forget it was like 11 years ago jeeze

Java

Jack Johnson is AMAZING.
I absolutely loved "In Between Dreams".
He has an amazing voice, the lyrics are fun, and his guitar is great.

"In Between Dreams" is unique in that pretty much every single song on the album is great.
I can't think of a bad song on the CD.
My personal favorites include: "Better Together", "Do You Remember?", "Banana Pancakes", "Good People", "Sitting, Waiting, Wishing", and "Breakdown", which is practically half the album.

I'm just glad Jack Johnson is getting some recognition. ;D

Macawmoses

Yeah, he's pretty intercourse ing awesome.

I really don't understand why people like Banana Pancakes though. Pah!

SWW, Better Together, and Breakdown are all in my top 50 most played songs, though. Considering only three artists (AC/DC, Garth Brooks, and the Beatles) have more in there :O