<+Clu> im 100% nigga

Main Menu

New Pokémon Stuff Ideas

Started by JrDude, December 30, 2009, 04:24:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thirdkoopa

Quote from: JrDude ½ on January 04, 2010, 01:48:55 AM
I like gyms D=
They should stay, but I also think it's just something you have to do, but nothing to do with the storyline, kinda like that one part in Platinum where your rival is up there, and to continue the "story," you have to get the badge so you can use the HM.
You mean Gym's stay but just to be like the Trouble Quest in TTYD?

If so, you have my support.

As for plot: Think FH's idea is pretty neat. It altogether doesn't seem overdone in plot twists, yet it doesn't feel half assed.
[21:11] <mackormoses> let's take a look at today's stats
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> stats today are high
[21:11] <mackormoses> holy intercourse ing poop
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> you adding all these standards
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> is really pushing us [/quote]
Quote from: JrDude φ on May 31, 2010, 08:32:13 PM
3 of my friends smoke weed. Why? Well I asked one time, and this is what they said: "Because I can blow out smoke and it makes me feel like a intercourse ing dragon"

So_So_Man

Maybe if they hired another team from within Nintendo to write the plot? (Assuming there are people in Nintendo that are good at that.)

Zero

Quote from: So_So_Man on January 04, 2010, 07:51:10 PM
Maybe if they hired another team from within Nintendo to write the plot? (Assuming there are people in Nintendo that are good at that.)

Intelligent Systems and Camelot are all Nintendo have in that department if you're posing restrictions on them.

Triple typing for combat would be a very bad move, and the balance they've established between the types would be thrown off completely. The most they could get away with is a "Sub-type" which is just there to explain the obvious(i.e. Charizard's sub-type would be Dragon) and would have no effect on combat. This doesn't seem likely and would be useless anyways.

I'm all for new plot elements. Keep the gyms, but don't have the game revolve around them, etc.

As far as new pokemon, I'm not sure I even want any. With each gen the designs are looking more and more...unappealing. There are only a few among the 3rd and 4th gens I can look at and say "that looks like a pokemon". Drapion looks like a freakin' Digimon. Besides, they're having obvious problems coming up with new ideas and it seems like they've exhausted every possible source for a pokemon idea.

RX-78-2

I wish I could, but I'm not going to take time and space by quoting like 10 posts. The post is long enough anyway.

AHH WALL OF TEXT D: ^_^

Concerning triple-typing, I've always wanted this. However, I also realize that it would create many difficulties in determining resistances, weaknesses, and damage multiplication. My solution to this is to have up to two main types (which has been normal in every game), and then have a third type that doesn't give a resistance or weakness, only the Same Type Attack Bonus. For instance; Charizard is a Fire-Flying-Type (most likely not Dragon because it's a starter), but it could also be the Dragon-Type. Because the third would be confusing, it would not count for any resistances or weaknesses, therefore, Charizard would still be treated as a Fire-Flying-Type, but gain the 1.5 damage multiplier that its Dragon-Type gives when using Dragon-Type moves.

The same goes for move types. If double type moves were introduced, to avoid confusion, one type would determine the type that is used in terms of effectiveness against the foe and the other type would just get STAB. For instance; Blaze Kick could be a Fire-Type attack, but have the Fighting-Type that wouldn't be counted for effectiveness as well. The move would just gain another bonus if it were used by a Fighting-Type Pokémon. I'd really like to see what would happen if dual type attacks were added and both types were counted for effectiveness though. That'd be interesting.

As for story mode, I agree with Friendly Hostile. There should definitely be a party mode; I've always wanted that. It'd be great to travel with Brock and Misty, Max and May, or Dawn in each region. Maybe you could somehow travel with all of them at once, or maybe the region would determine your traveling companions. Or even another way to completely customize your party would be to pick up/drop off people at their house in their region. If you want Brock to travel with you, pick him up at his Gym (or his house, if it's added in and he's not a Gym Leader). If you don't want him in your party anymore, just take him back home, and if want him again, pick him up anytime. The same goes for everyone else. You should also be able to have at least one Pokémon outside its Pokéball. Also, you could decide if you want to have double battles with a partner on your team all the time or not. With double battles, it'd be easier facing Trainers and wild Pokémon and all Pokémon used would recover 1/8 HP or something. However, you wouldn't be able to catch any Pokémon using this, unless maybe one of the two foes is fainted.

Also, the games could have more (but shorter) side quests and post-game quests. In addition, the ability to really talk would be revolutionary for Pokémon. It’d be fun to really talk with your traveling companions and make relationships with them; it’d work just like Friendship. This might get too complicated though.

Concerning made-up Abilities and moves, here are some of mine:
- Moves:
   * "Snipe Shot": Steel-Type/Physical? undecided/80 Basic Attack Power/-- Accuracy/5 PP (Always hits--unlike Swift--no matter what the circumstances)
   * "Last Effort": Normal-Type/Physical?/150 Basic Attack Power/100 Accuracy/5 PP (Can be unfailingly used even when Frozen, Asleep, Paralyzed, Confused, or any other move restriction, but Pokémon must have less than half HP to use plus one of these conditions or have less than 1/6 HP. Takes away 1/2 remaining HP if less than 1/6 HP condition is met without another condition.)
- Abilities:
   * "Brush Off"/"Neat Keeper": If the Pokémon has more than 3/4 HP at the end of a turn, it gains 1/8 HP (maybe 1/16). Brush Off would be more for Fighting-Types and Neat Keeper would be more for Normal-Types.

Dang it; I had more, but none come to mind right now. Also, I’d list my made-up Pokémon, but, seeing as I made them a while ago, I can’t remember exactly what they were like.

As for type combinations I’d like to see, here are some (some have been posted already):
- Electric-Dark: WHY WAS LUXRAY NOT THIS
- Ghost-Fire
- Ghost-Grass
- Ghost-Fighting
- Fire-Grass
- Ghost-Rock
- Ground-Dark
- Psychic-Dark
- Psychic-Fire
- Bug-Fire
- Fire-Poison
- AND PUT IN A LIGHT-TYPE
I dunno hao 2 put imgs heer :(

****************Mack was here******************

bluaki

Dual-type attacks and triple-type pokemon are a silly idea, in my opinion, that I don't want to see. Double-type attacks would be reason to create a ton of nonsensical attacks just for the sake of having some, and it would also make many more moves that are likely to be restricted to very few pokemon. The only attack I can think of right now that could be called dual-type is Muddy Water. Similar idea against triple-type pokemon: I'd rather not see a ton of pokemon created for the sole reason of taking advantage of triple types. They both would of course heavily screw up the battle mechanics.

Ghost/Fire is a type combination I'm surprised doesn't exist yet. Especially considering how much Will-O-Wisp is associated with Ghost-types.

RX-78-2

Quote from: bluaki on January 12, 2010, 10:30:56 PM
Dual-type attacks and triple-type pokemon are a silly idea, in my opinion, that I don't want to see. Double-type attacks would be reason to create a ton of nonsensical attacks just for the sake of having some, and it would also make many more moves that are likely to be restricted to very few pokemon. The only attack I can think of right now that could be called dual-type is Muddy Water. Similar idea against triple-type pokemon: I'd rather not see a ton of pokemon created for the sole reason of taking advantage of triple types. They both would of course heavily screw up the battle mechanics.

Ghost/Fire is a type combination I'm surprised doesn't exist yet. Especially considering how much Will-O-Wisp is associated with Ghost-types.
Don't you trust the developers? Obviously these problems could arise with trying to take advantage of a "fresh," new idea, but if a Pokémon is created and its stats and types are assigned later, I think that could work out. For instance, if Charizard had never been a Pokémon, and is going through the creation process right now, the developers could make it and then assign it the types of Fire-Flying-Dragon (with Dragon being the type that doesn't count for weaknesses/resistances, probably because it's a Starter). I hope you read about my solution (I know it's long but you'll see what I mean), because it solves the problem of battle mechanics (unless you think that more attacks with STAB for more Pokémon is a problem).

As for dual-type attacks, I also thought of Muddy Water. Here's a list of moves that I think could work for dual-types (an example of how they could work is in my long, previous post):

• Sandstorm: Rock-Ground
  • Fire/Ice/Thunder Punch: Fire/Ice/Electric-Fighting
  • Poison Jab: Poison-Fighting
  • Will-O-Wisp: Ghost-Fire
  • Dream Eater: Ghost-Psychic
I dunno hao 2 put imgs heer :(

****************Mack was here******************

bluaki

Quote from: TerribleFrog 39 on January 15, 2010, 08:26:39 PM
Don't you trust the developers? Obviously these problems could arise with trying to take advantage of a "fresh," new idea, but if a Pokémon is created and its stats and types are assigned later, I think that could work out.
Don't I trust the developers to do what, make a huge mechanic change that would completely change the game but without implementing that mechanic for more than a very small number of pokemon that it might kinda work with? Not at all, not to mention that seems pointless.

Oh, and you want Fire-Flying-Dragon Charizard? Then be prepared for it being: weak to ice (2x), not at all weak to water (1x), and not weak to electricity (1x)
Does that sound at all like Charizard? No, you've effectively completely broken him.
Also, it would be 8x resistant to grass, 4x resistant to fire, 4x resistant to bug, 2x resistant to steel, and completely resistant to ground. That's a rather insane amount of resistance, with only three weaknesses (4x rock, 2x dragon, 2x ice)
Charizard is a dragon-like pokemon, not a dragon-type pokemon. There's a good reason for that distinction. Same goes for any other Pokemon you might want to become triple-type like Lugia. Making a type that affects only STAB sounds silly, confusing to new players, and essentially pointless.

JrDude

Though it's retarded, he means the 3rd type would have no effect on his weaknesses/resistances, just for STAB. Or that's how I read it anyway.

It will never happen. I can promise and guarantee it will never happen. Yes it's possible for it to happen, but it won't, understand?
[move][/move]
Dude .

Rius

Umm, you didn't read the post correctly. In the Charizard example, Dragon type had no effect on weakness or resistances, it just meant Charizard could use moves like Dragon Claw and get STAB. I think it's a fairly novel idea. Whether this would break the game or not is wholly up to the developers. Yeah, there will be a bunch of gimmick Pokemon if this comes about, but there are gimmick Pokemon for every new battle mechanic introduced. Personally, I don't think the third type proposed here would affect the game nearly as much as the Steel/Dark types, abilities, or the physical/special change.

Dual moves, on the other hand, I can't get behind; the aforementioned physical/special change took care of that, I feel. Yeah, Hitmonlee won't get STAB from Blaze Kick, but now the move is reliant on it's Attack instead of its SpAttack, which is good enough.

As for things I would like to see in the next gen...

A better storyline, yes. The ultimate goal of the games is to become the Champion, of course, but a plot like the ones in the manga would be more appealing...

HMs that are less intrusive, kind of like abilities. Certain Pokemon can learn certain moves, but instead of it taking up a valuable move slot, a tutor who you must prove your worthiness to through badge presentation will unlock you Pokemon's hidden potential and that Pokemon can now remove those obstacles. And just to be fun, you can still receive the HM and Pokemon that learn it through the HM will learn the move and the ability.

Pokemon seasons would be a pain in the ass, which is exactly why I want it; I think giving Pokemon a more Animal Crossing feel in terms of adventuring would raise the replay value. There's a legendary Pokemon that only appears on the winter solstice? Cool, one less Nintendo event to go to. Different quests and stuff during different parts of the year would be cool. At least, give it a month cycle if year takes too long.

3D. I mean, Pokemon Colosseum did a pretty good job with it. Also, why are Pokemon still making beeps and bloops? Especially when they say their names in every other media.

I would really like to see a permanent partner in the games. I mean, they don't even have to battle, but they could drive the main plot while you're an aspiring trainer who's journeying with them. Again, Colosseum did it, so why can't the main games?

As for battle mechanics, I like the idea of combo moves in double battles; say you have Dialga and Palkia and both use their signature moves; the resulting move could be something like Big Bang from Tales of the Abyss (with awesome anime cut-in, too). But yeah, mostly more interaction between your Pokemon in double battles. Also, this isn't a battle mechanic, but better portrayals of moves; the ones in Battle Revolution weren't half bad.

Um, customize your character was cool; they did it in PBR, so why not. It's easier to pull of if the game is 3D. Personally I'd like to see something Phantasy Star Online. Heck, maybe the accessories you as a trainer wear can effect your ability to train certain Pokemon types (get more exp).

I like Rob's idea for the end-game tournament, then the Elite Four run. It's assumed that's how the anime does it, so why not. Also, maybe an arena of sorts where you can battle trainers for exp like... Colosseum. Oh, and just because I love a challenge, Gym Leader's Pokemon are always a certain level higher than yours; the level difference is the same as the numerical order of the badges, such as Brock's highest Pokemon is 1 level higher than yours, Giovanni's is 8. 9 for the Elite Four, and 10 for the Champion. It would encourage trainers to train all of their Pokemon equally, too.

And, that's all I have for now.

Quote from: JrDude ½ on January 16, 2010, 12:41:34 AM
It will never happen. I can promise and guarantee it will never happen. Yes it's possible for it to happen, but it won't, understand?

"Well new Pokémon gen is coming eventually, and we all like to say our ideas and hope they will come into play and then get crushed when they obviously don't, but let's say them anyway!"

You established the theme of things that we would like to see in the beginning, not whether something was possible or not. If you just wanted new type combinations and moves, remove the "Other" section.

JrDude

1. Will never happen.
2. Maybe (stolen from Bluaki) it can be items, like instead of Flash, it could be a lantern?
3. Seasons sound cool, but something seems wrong with it.
4. 3D = no thanks
5. Combo moves sound cool, but it would be hard to make them make sense.
6. Actually, custom appearance would be easier on a DS game due to the fact that it's not as complicated to create. But cheating to get more Exp is dumb, work for it.
7. I'm just stating a fact, I never said you couldn't do more ideas, these threads aren't meant for you to say something then everyone showers your idea with praise because how awesome it isn't, the thread is for opinions, then someone else responds to that opinion with an opinion of their own. Learn to accept that everyone's opinion isn't the same as your opinion.
[move][/move]
Dude .

Rius

Quote from: JrDude ½ on January 16, 2010, 01:07:33 AM
7. I'm just stating a fact, I never said you couldn't do more ideas, these threads aren't meant for you to say something then everyone showers your idea with praise because how awesome it isn't, the thread is for opinions, then someone else responds to that opinion with an opinion of their own. Learn to accept that everyone's opinion isn't the same as your opinion.
So please provide me the evidence of the fact that things we are discussing in this thread will never happen. And my comment had nothing to do with opinion; you yourself just said, illogically I must add, "I'm just stating a fact." You didn't say you didn't like the idea in the post, you said it was impossible and would never happen. I was merely pointing out that in your introduction you told asked us for ideas, even though we know the chances of them happening are very unlikely; to say something is impossible, won't happen is unneeded. Especially when it's something you previously indicated that you didn't like. Seems you should learn that everyone's opinion isn't the same as your opinion.

Also, the accessories idea was merely an extension of currently existing items for Pokemon to hold. Lucky Egg gives an exp bonus to the Pokemon holding it, but you still have to go out and train to get that exp in the first place. It was the same idea, only the trainer can "hold an item" that gives the same kind of exp bonus to Pokemon types. Exempli gratia, a Trainer holding a CRYSTAL BALL would garner an exp bonus for his Psychic Pokemon after winning a battle.

JrDude

Quote from: Rius on January 16, 2010, 01:20:34 AM
So please provide me the evidence of the fact that things we are discussing in this thread will never happen. And my comment had nothing to do with opinion; you yourself just said, illogically I must add, "I'm just stating a fact." You didn't say you didn't like the idea in the post, you said it was impossible and would never happen. I was merely pointing out that in your introduction you told asked us for ideas, even though we know the chances of them happening are very unlikely; to say something is impossible, won't happen is unneeded. Especially when it's something you previously indicated that you didn't like. Seems you should learn that everyone's opinion isn't the same as your opinion.
Impossible =/= won't.
I'm not saying it's impossible, because it is possible, it just won't happen. I can't think of a good example, so I'll give you a bad one. It's like, it's possible that Nintendo buy Rare back, but will they? No.
And I didn't say I didn't like the idea, though I don't, it doesn't matter if I like the idea or not because it won't happen.
Yes it is unneeded, but many things are unneeded, like midnight snacks, or a fast food place on every block, and eating at that fast food place is unneeded, but it still happens.
I also know everyone's opinion is different, you just seem to be butthurt because I disagree with you, which is why I told you that.
[move][/move]
Dude .

Rius

Quote from: JrDude ½ on January 16, 2010, 01:32:33 AM
Impossible =/= won't.
I'm not saying it's impossible, because it is possible, it just won't happen. I can't think of a good example, so I'll give you a bad one. It's like, it's possible that Nintendo buy Rare back, but will they? No.
And I didn't say I didn't like the idea, though I don't, it doesn't matter if I like the idea or not because it won't happen.
Yes it is unneeded, but many things are unneeded, like midnight snacks, or a fast food place on every block, and eating at that fast food place is unneeded, but it still happens.
I also know everyone's opinion is different, you just seem to be butthurt because I disagree with you, which is why I told you that.
Again, you pointed out at the beginning that most of these things won't happen, and when you don't like an idea you make a point of, rather obnoxiously, declaring how such an idea won't happen. To use your unintuitive definitions of won't and impossible, GameFreak won't remove HMs from the main series; they are an integral part of the gameplay. The trend to this date has been adding features to Pokemon games, not taking them away. The only notable exception was the Day/Night system of Gen 2, and that was because of the inability to play the game correctly when the battery died. Time remained, and Day/Night was brought back when it was technically reasonable. However, you have shown no animosity towards the idea of removing HMs, so you did not point out that it won't happen. Your previous posts suggest you say such things when you don't like the idea, so you, whether intend to or not, demean others' opinions on the idea at hand. Again, I have no problem accepting it when someone doesn't like an idea, but to go on and on about something that won't happen because you don't like it when that was the premise of the thread is immature.

bluaki

Quote from: Rius on January 16, 2010, 01:53:25 AM
GameFreak won't remove HMs from the main series; they are an integral part of the gameplay. The trend to this date has been adding features to Pokemon games, not taking them away.
Actually, the sort of HM suggestions here are about retaining their original functions (clearing an obstacle in the overworld only after meeting some criteria like gym badge) and only changing the method for which it's available away from using up good move slots, which would keep the feature.

JrDude

Quote from: Rius on January 16, 2010, 01:53:25 AM
Again, you pointed out at the beginning that most of these things won't happen, and when you don't like an idea you make a point of, rather obnoxiously, declaring how such an idea won't happen. To use your unintuitive definitions of won't and impossible, GameFreak won't remove HMs from the main series; they are an integral part of the gameplay. The trend to this date has been adding features to Pokemon games, not taking them away. The only notable exception was the Day/Night system of Gen 2, and that was because of the inability to play the game correctly when the battery died. Time remained, and Day/Night was brought back when it was technically reasonable. However, you have shown no animosity towards the idea of removing HMs, so you did not point out that it won't happen. Your previous posts suggest you say such things when you don't like the idea, so you, whether intend to or not, demean others' opinions on the idea at hand. Again, I have no problem accepting it when someone doesn't like an idea, but to go on and on about something that won't happen because you don't like it when that was the premise of the thread is immature.
I'm almost positive that HMs will stay, I just like the idea of taking them away.
And I'm not saying it won't happen because I don't like the idea, I'm saying it won't happen because it won't happen.
I'm not forcing an opinion, I'm saying a fact, if you want to disagree then go ahead. In this case, it's like this: I know God exists, there's no opinion or "think" about it, though some people don't think he exists, but I know for a fact that he does.
[move][/move]
Dude .