News:

<+Clu> have you tried barbecuing the computer

Main Menu

New Pokémon Stuff Ideas

Started by JrDude, December 30, 2009, 04:24:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluaki

Quote from: JrDude ½ on January 16, 2010, 03:05:17 AM
In this case, it's like this: I know God exists, there's no opinion or "think" about it, though some people don't think he exists, but I know for a fact that he does.
You manage to get this discussion from desired pokemon features to a mention of God?

Screw Godwin's law, where's one regarding religion.

Rius

Quote from: JrDude ½ on January 16, 2010, 03:05:17 AM
I'm almost positive that HMs will stay, I just like the idea of taking them away.
So why didn't you point out it won't happen like you did the idea you didn't like?

And I'm not saying it won't happen because I don't like the idea, I'm saying it won't happen because it won't happen.
Whether it could happen or not, you went through all of the trouble of pointing out the impossibility of it in two different posts, not counting these with me. Why would you bother in the first place? Not to mention you disregarded the idea as retarded before the second occurrence, so yes, it was because you didn't like the idea.
I'm not forcing an opinion, I'm saying a fact, if you want to disagree then go ahead. In this case, it's like this: I know God exists, there's no opinion or "think" about it, though some people don't think he exists, but I know for a fact that he does.
This was the reason I wasn't going to bother replying in the first place, but why not.
Firstly, a fact is something that can be proved true or false. In casual conversation, a fact is something that has been proven to be true. So indulge me, prove the existence of God (or disprove the notion that the idea previously in discussion can occur). Since you know for a fact he exists, it should be easy to provide the evidence that's the foundation of this undeniable truth. Quantitative is preferred, as well as several trials that show this existence is consistent. I do not wish to downplay your religious beliefs like you inadvertently (or maybe intentionally, I don't know) have to others in your statement, but if you cannot prove God exists but still think he does, congratulations you have a belief; synonyms for belief include faith, credence, and opinion.You believe God exists, and you just forced your opinion in the form of stating it as fact. Those who deny facts are, by definition, ignorant of the matter, so your implication is that those of us who deny your fact are ignorant. Less extreme but kind of resembles the ideas of those people going around picketing fallen soldiers' funerals, doesn't it?

You may go ahead and apply everything I said to the original point of discussion, saves me the trouble of typing it. And please, if you must respond, do so without involving religion; it's very detrimental to an argument. I doubt I'll reply back since these posts take too much of my time, but if it makes you feel better I'll read it and maybe laugh.

jnfs2014

Y so serious?

But really, triple typing would mess up the game. Maybe put it in like a side game, but NOT the main series.

The Riddler

Quote from: PokemasterJ on January 16, 2010, 11:26:48 AM
Y so serious?

But really, triple typing would mess up the game. Maybe put it in like a side game, but NOT the main series.
No. It should not exist. Period.

Put it in a side game and encourage whining that it's not in the main games, followed by fanservice of putting it in the main games.

RX-78-2

Quote from: bluaki on January 15, 2010, 11:44:41 PM
Oh, and you want Fire-Flying-Dragon Charizard? Then be prepared for it being: weak to ice (2x), not at all weak to water (1x), and not weak to electricity (1x)
Does that sound at all like Charizard? No, you've effectively completely broken him.
Also, it would be 8x resistant to grass, 4x resistant to fire, 4x resistant to bug, 2x resistant to steel, and completely resistant to ground. That's a rather insane amount of resistance, with only three weaknesses (4x rock, 2x dragon, 2x ice)
Charizard is a dragon-like pokemon, not a dragon-type pokemon. There's a good reason for that distinction. Same goes for any other Pokemon you might want to become triple-type like Lugia. Making a type that affects only STAB sounds silly, confusing to new players, and essentially pointless.
I'm sorry. Your opinion is wanted, but in this case, irrelevant. You're obviously not reading what I said in the first place. Allow me to reproduce the paragraph in context.

QuoteConcerning triple-typing, I've always wanted this. However, I also realize that it would create many difficulties in determining resistances, weaknesses, and damage multiplication. My solution to this is to have up to two main types (which has been normal in every game), and then have a third type that doesn't give a resistance or weakness, only the Same Type Attack Bonus. For instance; Charizard is a Fire-Flying-Type (most likely not Dragon because it's a starter), but it could also be the Dragon-Type. Because the third [type] would be confusing, it would not count for any resistances or weaknesses, therefore, Charizard would still be treated as a Fire-Flying-Type, but gain the 1.5 damage multiplier that its Dragon-Type gives when using Dragon-Type moves.

Quote from: bluaki on January 15, 2010, 11:44:41 PMDon't I trust the developers to do what, make a huge mechanic change that would completely change the game but without implementing that mechanic for more than a very small number of pokemon that it might kinda work with? Not at all, not to mention that seems pointless.
With this solution, it's not a huge mechanic change at all. It's just a little more to consider during gameplay. Also, it wouldn't be for only a very small number of Pokémon, it could work with many Pokémon, actually. Because it only affects what moves the Pokémon can use well, it doesn't have to apply to the Pokémon's appearance or traits. Two examples are Nosepass and Probopass; I'll focus on Probopass (a Rock-Steel-Type) to avoid confusion.

By leveling alone, Probopass can learn four Electric-Type moves. In order, they are: Magnet Rise, Thunder Wave, Discharge, and Zap Cannon. By using TM's, Probopass can learn four Electric-Type moves (one of which it can learn normally). They are Thunderbolt (TM24), Thunder (TM25), Shock Wave (TM34), and Thunder Wave (TM73). One may ask, "how can a Rock-Steel-Type Pokémon learn Electric-Type moves?" This is because Probopass is a "Compass Pokémon," thereby explaining this phenomenon (because compasses involve magnetism, which the Electric-Type attacks relate to). However, compasses are not made of electricity, nor do they emit electricity, just as Probopass is not made of, nor does it emit electricity.

But let's get to the point. A Probopass with one damaging Electric-Type move is a good idea to most, as it will be able to counter its Water-Type weakness. An Electric-Type move would only do as much as Probopass's Special Attack (the damaging Electric-Type moves that it can learn are all classified as being in the "Special" category) and the Basic Attack Power of the attack would allow, even though the move suits Probopass very well. The move would not get a bonus. Of course, many other Pokémon have a move or two that bring about this same situation, but Probopass has four moves that pertain to this; too many to be ignored. With this being said, Probopass being given Electric as a "hidden" type used only for STAB is acceptable and appropriate--in my opinion--to take the Electric-Type moves into account.
I dunno hao 2 put imgs heer :(

****************Mack was here******************

jnfs2014

That will still jack up STAB. What if a Pokemon such as Gyarados learns Muddy Water, which would be Water/Ground? That means that it would be 2x plus 1.5 on an electric type.

RX-78-2

Quote from: PokemasterJ on January 16, 2010, 08:55:39 PM
That will still jack up STAB. What if a Pokemon such as Gyarados learns Muddy Water, which would be Water/Ground? That means that it would be 2x plus 1.5 on an electric type.
I didn't mean that the STAB Type would be any amount more effective against the foe, just that its power is increased my the Pokémon using it. So (if it were implemented), Muddy Water would not be affected by this change, even if it were used against an Electric-Type.

Kayo

I've noticed that with Probopass, along with a few others. Like how Mawile is Steel typed, yet it learns AT LEAST 4 Dark moves leveling up. (Bite, Faint Attack, Fake Tears, Crunch) ..would you want a hidden type to apply here too? Even though Mawile is a single-type? Your reasoning didn't account for this.

Also, i noticed that EVERY water type can learn Hail, Ice Beam, and Blizzard (actually, maybe not Hail so much). Would it work here? No. Because if you think about it, if a pokemon can attack with water, can't it do the same with the same stuf, just frozen? But it doesn't work the other way around. Why can't Ice-types learn Surf? Are they too frigid to melt the stuff they attack with? I mean, some Ice-types have gotten Water Pulse, but come on. That's it?

Before I finish, I want thoughts so far on this. What do you think?
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

RX-78-2

Quote from: JrDude ½ on January 16, 2010, 12:41:34 AM
Though it's retarded, he means the 3rd type would have no effect on his weaknesses/resistances, just for STAB. Or that's how I read it anyway.

It will never happen. I can promise and guarantee it will never happen. Yes it's possible for it to happen, but it won't, understand?
You could try to make a promise about it (a shallow one at that), but you can't guarantee it without mathematical proof.

Quote from: Rius on January 16, 2010, 12:50:44 AM
Umm, you didn't read the post correctly. In the Charizard example, Dragon type had no effect on weakness or resistances, it just meant Charizard could use moves like Dragon Claw and get STAB. I think it's a fairly novel idea. Whether this would break the game or not is wholly up to the developers. Yeah, there will be a bunch of gimmick Pokemon if this comes about, but there are gimmick Pokemon for every new battle mechanic introduced. Personally, I don't think the third type proposed here would affect the game nearly as much as the Steel/Dark types, abilities, or the physical/special change.
THANK YOU. I also agree with everything else you said (even though I didn't quote the whole thing).

Quote from: JrDude ½ on January 16, 2010, 01:32:33 AM
Impossible =/= won't.
I'm not saying it's impossible, because it is possible, it just won't happen. I can't think of a good example, so I'll give you a bad one. It's like, it's possible that Nintendo buy Rare back, but will they? No.
And I didn't say I didn't like the idea, though I don't, it doesn't matter if I like the idea or not because it won't happen.
Yes it is unneeded, but many things are unneeded, like midnight snacks, or a fast food place on every block, and eating at that fast food place is unneeded, but it still happens.
I also know everyone's opinion is different, you just seem to be butthurt because I disagree with you, which is why I told you that.
I don't like butting in, but this is weak reasoning; I hope you improve it. Your examples and logic lack continuity in the sense that their source does not cover them equally or in the same way.

bluaki

Quote from: TerribleFrog 39 on January 16, 2010, 08:34:26 PM
I'm sorry. Your opinion is wanted, but in this case, irrelevant. You're obviously not reading what I said in the first place.
And you didn't seem to read the whole thing.
QuoteCharizard is a dragon-like pokemon, not a dragon-type pokemon. There's a good reason for that distinction. Same goes for any other Pokemon you might want to become triple-type like Lugia. Making a type that affects only STAB sounds silly, confusing to new players, and essentially pointless.
Though I did include a bunch about adding a complete third type for earlier suggestions, I also included this.
Making STAB cover all moves that the pokemon can learn, which seems somewhat close to your argument of giving Charizard STAB for things like Dragon Claw and Dragonbreath just because it can learn them, goes close to nullifying the point of STAB in the first place.

RX-78-2

Quote from: K on January 16, 2010, 09:41:20 PM
I've noticed that with Probopass, along with a few others. Like how Mawile is Steel typed, yet it learns AT LEAST 4 Dark moves leveling up. (Bite, Faint Attack, Fake Tears, Crunch) ..would you want a hidden type to apply here too? Even though Mawile is a single-type? Your reasoning didn't account for this.
Yeah, I've noticed it with others as well. Also, I would want it to apply to a single-type Pokémon if the type wouldn't normally be used for that Pokémon for resistances and weaknesses.

Quote from: K on January 16, 2010, 09:41:20 PM
Also, i noticed that EVERY water type can learn Hail, Ice Beam, and Blizzard (actually, maybe not Hail so much). Would it work here? No. Because if you think about it, if a pokemon can attack with water, can't it do the same with the same stuf, just frozen? But it doesn't work the other way around. Why can't Ice-types learn Surf? Are they too frigid to melt the stuff they attack with? I mean, some Ice-types have gotten Water Pulse, but come on. That's it?

Before I finish, I want thoughts so far on this. What do you think?
I'm not sure about the relevancy of this thought (I appreciate it though). I think that any Pokémon that can swim should be to learn Surf (that's all that Surf does in the field), regardless of its type. If it does something extra/special in battle--like how it's always shown as a giant wave that's somehow controlled by the Pokémon--I'd rethink this. However, maybe that's why some Ice-Types can't learn Surf, because they can't swim or control water. If you could give me an example (of an Ice-Type that can't learn Surf), that would help a lot. As for Water-Types attacking with Ice-Type moves, I'm not sure that they could just do the same but freeze it. That might go down to the individual Pokémon though.

RX-78-2

Quote from: bluaki on January 16, 2010, 10:07:30 PM
And you didn't seem to read the whole thing.Though I did include a bunch about adding a complete third type for earlier suggestions, I also included this.
Actually, I did; I just forgot to address that point. My bad.

Quote from: bluaki on January 16, 2010, 10:07:30 PM
Making STAB cover all moves that the pokemon can learn, which seems somewhat close to your argument of giving Charizard STAB for things like Dragon Claw and Dragonbreath just because it can learn them, goes close to nullifying the point of STAB in the first place.
Actually, rather than nullifying it, I think it supports it. It makes it a little bit easier to incorporate STAB into any Pokémon. How does that (ironically) nullify it? If it were especially broad, I would agree, but this is one more type we're talking about. I don't think that that's unreasonable. Four or more; yes--but three is okay.

JrDude

Quote from: Rius on January 16, 2010, 11:10:05 AM
So why didn't you point out it won't happen like you did the idea you didn't like?
The fact of why I didn't post why it won't happen is because I like the idea. The fact that I did say it for the other thing is because I don't like the idea, though it still won't happen.

QuoteWhether it could happen or not, you went through all of the trouble of pointing out the impossibility of it in two different posts, not counting these with me. Why would you bother in the first place? Not to mention you disregarded the idea as retarded before the second occurrence, so yes, it was because you didn't like the idea.
Like I said just now, I mentioned it because I don't like the idea, It's not because I don't like the idea that it won't happen, I like the take away the HM idea but I know that won't happen either (unless it fully moves to a 3D game like Pokémon XD, then it is a likely possibility).

QuoteThis was the reason I wasn't going to bother replying in the first place, but why not. Firstly, a fact is something that can be proved true or false. In casual conversation, a fact is something that has been proven to be true. So indulge me, prove the existence of God (or disprove the notion that the idea previously in discussion can occur). Since you know for a fact he exists, it should be easy to provide the evidence that's the foundation of this undeniable truth. Quantitative is preferred, as well as several trials that show this existence is consistent. I do not wish to downplay your religious beliefs like you inadvertently (or maybe intentionally, I don't know) have to others in your statement, but if you cannot prove God exists but still think he does, congratulations you have a belief; synonyms for belief include faith, credence, and opinion.You believe God exists, and you just forced your opinion in the form of stating it as fact. Those who deny facts are, by definition, ignorant of the matter, so your implication is that those of us who deny your fact are ignorant. Less extreme but kind of resembles the ideas of those people going around picketing fallen soldiers' funerals, doesn't it?
I didn't want to bring my religion in this thread, but it was the only example I could think of for this topic. I also indeed do think people who don't believe in God are ignorant, I just don't say it to their face.
Let me say it like this, facts aren't always facts, believing something basically means it's a fact to them, it is a fact in their opinion, but not a fact to others. To some people who don't believe in God, I and many others are ignorant for believing in God.

QuoteYou may go ahead and apply everything I said to the original point of discussion, saves me the trouble of typing it. And please, if you must respond, do so without involving religion; it's very detrimental to an argument. I doubt I'll reply back since these posts take too much of my time, but if it makes you feel better I'll read it and maybe laugh.
Go ahead and laugh, many things you and most others say make me laugh, even when they're being serious.
[move][/move]
Dude .

Kayo

Quote from: TerribleFrog 39 on January 16, 2010, 10:57:27 PMI'm not sure about the relevancy of this thought (I appreciate it though). I think that any Pokémon that can swim should be to learn Surf (that's all that Surf does in the field), regardless of its type. If it does something extra/special in battle--like how it's always shown as a giant wave that's somehow controlled by the Pokémon--I'd rethink this. However, maybe that's why some Ice-Types can't learn Surf, because they can't  or control water. If you could give me an example (of an Ice-Type that can't learn Surf), that would help a lot. As for Water-Types attacking with Ice-Type moves, I'm not sure that they could just do the same but freeze it. That might go down to the individual Pokémon though.
Rhydon and Nidoking can learn Surf. That has always puzzled me, how they can do it, since they are both very weak to water. You would think that a Rhydon swimming in the stuff that OHKOs it would be bad for him, but it's not. I have never used Surf on a Rhydon, due to its Sp. Atk being to low, but that goes into competitive battling. My point is, it seems much more likely that an Ice type would be able to Surf rather than a Rock-Ground type. Or a Normal or Fighting type, because there's also Linoone, Snorlax, and Hariyama, and probably others.

However, take a look at Regice. Look at its shape. I don't think that thing would be able to Surf (although, isn't ice supposed to float on water?) but then look at Starmie. Similar shape here, with the points, etc. But Starmie is so lightweight I guess it can do it better than heavy ol' Regice. Also, Glalie and Florlass look like they're not meant to be in the water. BUT, If Vaporeon can Surf, shouldn't Glaceon? But then the defense of that s the fact that Vaporeon is built like a fish. Fins, etc. Come to think of it, nearly all water-types are built like fishes, even the land-bound ones like Swampert.

So, back to this. Why can Snorlax Surf? I wouldn't think this sleeping behemoth would be capable of swimming distances carrying somebody. But GameFereak obvoiusly doesn't care about the safety of the player riding the Surfer, since it's possible to ride a Remoraid.

So anyway, that's just about it for the Ice-types. But look. Articuno. I think if any Ice-type can surf, it'd be Articuno. Although, It most certainly isn't built like an aquatic...thing, I could imagine it gliding across water. Suicune can, and I just realized, it doesn't look "fishy" at all. What does it do? Walk on water? Maybe, but it would have to be running. It can't stop and say on the water, but.. it can Surf. Somehow.

Back to my original point, I would like to bring Suicune here. It learns a decent array of Ice-type attacks, Aurora Beam, and others. It's not much, but if one Water-type got an Ice-type as a half-type, it would be Suicune. Just look at it. I think that thing looks pretty icy to me.

That's all i got on this. Discuss.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

JrDude

Surf is a complicated move, I always thought Snorelax could surf because he floats due to his roundness, and round things usually look like they can float, but that's just my kid analogy that past on to my current one.
And as I was saying, surf is complicated, it's basically just swimming, but then shouldn't just about any Pokémon be able to do it? But yeah, to surf, basically the Pokémon just needs to be able to swim, or look like it can float, and then you'll be able to ride on it, regardless of it's size.
And now Ice types + Swim. Ice type isn't the same as water type, it's ice, most ice Pokémon don't look like they can swim, except the ones that are part water, and why don't they look like they can swim? Because they're not supposed to.
Why Rhyhorn/Rhydon can learn Surf is beyond me, I didn't even know they could, I can't even think of a stupid reason of why. And Articuno doesn't look like a swimmer to me.

Now on the other topic, I think water can control ice moves, because it just needs to get colder to use them, they aren't weak against the coldness of ice, but ice can't use most water moves because, they control ice, and if they lowered the temperature to use the water, then it would also lower their temperature and make them melt/weak, because lower temperature basically means heat which is usually dealt with fire and ice is weak against fire.

I'm not sure how much sense that made, but I tried.
[move][/move]
Dude .