News:

<Clu> no nsfcd is basically a ghost town, it should be killed behind fences

Main Menu

Problem with setting up a static IP

Started by Kaz, May 03, 2008, 04:23:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaz

Before you ask, I'm doing it so that I'll be able to do some port forwarding to make it so that uTorrent isn't so gosh darn sluggish. I can't even pick up any seeders half the time.

Here's the problem...with Windows, when picking a specific IP to use, it asks you for more than that, right? Under the TCP/IP Properties of a connection (mine happens to be a wireless one through a router), if you choose to select a specific IP, it will ask for...

IP
Subnet mask
Default gateway
Preferred DNS server
Alternate DNS server

Now, I know how to find those. The catch? My CMD only gave me one DNS server option. Windows demands that you have a different alternate, but it won't give me one.

How can I get around this problem? CMD's ipconfig /all refuses to give me but one DNS server and I intercourse ing need that alternate...or no static IP.
Quote<+Mithos> My mom grounded me for being gay.

Mystic

Kaz

Quote from: Mystic Fury on May 03, 2008, 04:36:43 PM
What brand/model is your router?

linksys WRT54G

Regardless, this thread is now useless because I was informed that I can't currently set up a static IP anyway because my ISP will just nullify it and send me whatever IP they want because apparently you have to pay for a static one and I didn't know that.

:'(

so lock this thread, i will
Quote<+Mithos> My mom grounded me for being gay.