News:

ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL.

Main Menu

Your favorite RPG

Started by SkyMyl, March 28, 2010, 07:48:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkyMyl

All right, RPG fans/fags. It's time you revealed what your favorite RPG is. Yes, of all time. On any system, action RPGs included. If the only RPG you've played is a Mario RPG or two Final Fantasy titles, leave. We're talking hardcore, original RPGs here.
Then leave this topic alone and wait for someone else to make it, as your opinion is now invalid by your own rules.

My personal favorite RPG is The World Ends With You. Yeah, gameplay could've been tweaked, and scanning people definitely had room for improvement. But the story is one of the most original I've seen in a game, and the music was good enough for me to buy off iTunes. Definitely the most original game on the DS.
Note that MYL's experience with RPGs is limited to Squeenix games. So his reasons for holding TWEWY in this regard shouldn't be listened to.
Also lol itunes

So, post your absolute favorite RPG of all time.

Mystic

Pokemon
Kingdom Hearts

I haven't played a poop ton.

Custom

Final Fantasy III. I think. Let me check my collection.

Quote from: Mystic on March 28, 2010, 08:03:29 PM
Pokemon
Kingdom Hearts

I haven't played a poop ton.

>Kingdom Hearts

Quote from: Viewtifulboy on March 11, 2013, 07:28:20 AM
Good job! I, Viewtifulboy, declare you the CHAMPION!

I'm the official winner of the Viewtiful Victory roleplay championship!

Mystic

Macawmoses

Zero

Final Fantasy IX

It brought back everything I loved about Final Fantasy and more. Looking back, yeah it was slower than VII and VIII, but I didn't mind. The ability learning system is still phenomenal, the music is still spectacular,  The story was the best in any RPG at the time and still is, had the best graphics possible on the PS1, and was just simply amazing in every aspect I can think of. To this day the only flaw I can find in it is the last boss fight, which while epic and challenging, comes from nowhere. It isn't a bad fight at all and after you defeat the boss you understand everything and how he correlated with it all, but it really just came from nowhere. So essentially, it's only weakness isn't even that bad. It's a superb game and almost always blindsided when it comes to Final Fantasy games for some reason.

"It takes 30 seconds to even get to the battle..." is one of the most used negative comments about the game and it...is an extreme exaggeration.

Critics at the time hailed it as the best in the series but today, ten years later, it's practically forgotten. It's one of those sad games where it's truly amazing and part of a mostly amazing franchise, but extremely underplayed and underdiscussed in comparison to other games in its franchise. One theory I have for this is that it came out at the end of the PS1's life cycle and the beginning of the PS2's.

[spoiler]The saddest thing about all of this is, is that after Final Fantasy X, Hironobu Sakaguchi wanted to make a direct sequel to Final Fantasy IX. This makes sense, because IX didn't have complete closure at all. The Iifa Tree was destroyed, which means the world was supposed to end, and the true extent of Zidane's supposedly limitless power was never fully explained. There are so many things to finish with that world that he never got to do because of his departure from Square.

Yet, I still wait in vain for that great story to be concluded, and I'll probably keep waiting.[/spoiler]

EDIT: How can you argue with this? The best battle theme in any FF game?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MisQqT1IWIU

2-D

Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga

My mom actually caught me playing and was complaining that I should be doing school stuff and not "dicking around on Mario" >_<

Custom

Quote from: Skelator2112 on March 28, 2010, 10:19:29 PM

My mom actually caught me playing and was complaining that I should be doing school stuff and not "dicking around on Mario" >_<

Dicking around on Mario.
I can't stop laughing.

Quote from: Viewtifulboy on March 11, 2013, 07:28:20 AM
Good job! I, Viewtifulboy, declare you the CHAMPION!

I'm the official winner of the Viewtiful Victory roleplay championship!

Magnum

Tales of the Abyss.

I have no need to explain. It just rocks.

Oh Vesperia, never change... never change

The Riddler

Quote from: Skelator2112 on March 28, 2010, 10:19:29 PM

Hahahahahahaha

Thirdkoopa

Oh this one was dead obvious coming from me, but I can without a doubt say that It's at least my favorite RPG and potentially (Probably) My favorite game of all time. To beat that, It'd basically take a paper mario 3 that y'know, is improved in every way shape and form possible. And like hell, I've played through ever Mario RPG with the exception of Bowser's inside Story and Super Paper Mario - 3 Times and SMRPG a good 6 times (or 7, on my 7th or 8th run)

This one just pretty much takes the cake to me. Awesome characters. Awesome story/plot. Awesome way of introducing the standard cast for people who don't know who Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser are - Even then best way of retooling them. Awesome soundtrack. Awesome and one of the most balanced RPG's in terms of gameplay. Awesome replay value. Awesome everything

That awesome everything is just why I've played through it 12 times (Soon to be 13 once I finish the "God" Run) I can at least easily say that it was one of the best methods in use to make a sequel, one of Nintendo's better RPG's' and at least one of the best Mario RPG's to this day.

It just had...Everything to me. If you have yet to play this then go play it, now.
[21:11] <mackormoses> let's take a look at today's stats
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> stats today are high
[21:11] <mackormoses> holy intercourse ing poop
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> you adding all these standards
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> is really pushing us [/quote]
Quote from: JrDude φ on May 31, 2010, 08:32:13 PM
3 of my friends smoke weed. Why? Well I asked one time, and this is what they said: "Because I can blow out smoke and it makes me feel like a intercourse ing dragon"

Titus Andronicus

skies of arcadia legends fdslkdfskldfsldfsjkldfs
Tramps like us, baby we were born to die.