News:

<+Clu> was cute sure but it doesnt even mention homosexuality

Main Menu

Mack Interviews: Syntax Error

Started by Macawmoses, December 31, 2009, 06:49:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macawmoses

Someone decided it would be cool to do an interview show. Frankly, I agree. As such, I am going to start randomly interviewing users through different means until I find a setup I like.

I don't want all the interviews to be super serious, and I don't want them all haywire hilarious. I think a mix is ideal, as frankly, that's the case with the userbase we have. To give my new interview show credibility, I decided to start with someone well known across many sites - but not all that well known here - Syntax Error.

So, your position on NSF is Rocket Scientist. You're more or less a ghost to many a user - can you talk about a few of your interests, background, relation to nsf, etc

Syn: I have been working with web based technologies for a little more than 2 years, and I became heavilly involved with the phpBB Modding community about a year ago. I now serve as a MOD team member there, as well as a technical administrator on Ichimonai.com, WebSyntax.net (founder here as well), and playing intrim tech to another site on top of NSFCD.

How incredibly boring. Hobbies kind sir.

My hobbies are limited to TF2 and other multiplayer gaming. As, well as web development, of course.

How did you come to be involved with nsfcd?

This goes way back to our dear and beloved ex-tech admin, Vaatix, I asked him if I could borrow some hosting off his server, he obliged, and I offered some assistance, which wasn't taken up until a bit a later when [you] needed me to later on take his place when he left.

I love Vaatix.

He's like poop hole stepdad that everyone loves for whatever reason. I mean that in the nicest way, naturally.

Speaking of Vaatix, it's no secret you were integral in NS2's history. What were some of your achievements on there? And who is your favourite NS2 staff member that is currently on NSF's Admin team  tastyperson;

I started off at NS2 as a humble graphic artist, I later moved their new, and short lived Signature Generator feature, then I became KoH. I helped EJ rid the forum of a virus it had a while back, and I was made admin.
I can't say I did anything really notable there, the environment to try to fix anything was way too hostile and full of utter disagreement among the staff with no unifying admin to make a final call. Needless to say, I felt useless.

As for the 2nd question, that is a real hard one. I can't think of any off hand that meet those requirements.

;-;

Hehe. This is where the sarcasm tag would come in handy. Oh, I forgot, the most notable thing I did on ns2 was implement a sarcasm tag.

Haha. We should have one on NSF (hint hint Syntax :|) Speaking of your coding, you mentioned you are part of the PHPBB mod team. What's your favourite part of working with those chap?

The folks at phpBB have been an interesting bunch. Many of them play the same games I do, so we do that every once and a while. As for the networking, it has its perks -You get to hold conversations with some of the most brilliant of all PHP developers around. But just contributing to Open Source software is enough for me.

For those that don't know, phpBB is rather similar to SMF (our forum software) on that front, yes?

Yes, they are both the same type of software, in the same category as IPB (NS2), vBulletin, and Lithium (what NS1 was on).

Okay. NSFCD has been kind enough to host your site, websyntax.net. Tell us a little about the site and what your plans are for it.

Websyntax is a site that strives to aid people in their own wen development endeavors. It's userbase is anything but active, however I do have plans for it still.

(sneak preview) Instead of the article system I have now, I am creating a learning management sysetm, for users to learn any web based technology. I'll personally be managing the php section, and others will assist with things like HTML, Photoshop, and more.

And a note I may add in for my own behalf, our ever loved background colour system (which needs repair) was a php fix by Syn.

I mentioned that you are hosted by NSFCD. Tell us of the Silver frustrations - I know they exist. We know it exists. What has Silver broken?

Hehe, the fun part. Apparently MySQL uninstalled itself one day, which caused hell everywhere. It is then where we all learned the importance of back ups. [note to Silver: back things up :|] It was an unfortunate happening, though I don't know if it was through a fault on silver's end or not.

It wasn't - but let's say it is for the fun of it. Any other issues persist that we can blame on him? The election of Bush for instance?

nah. I don't want to get too political here, trust me. However, we should be able to blame him for stuff like not keeping the Tf2 server active enough.

There is more politick in that then you imagine.

Then I have underestimated his importance. Perhaps there is more to our favourite metallic hawk than just someone who likes to break things :U

Let's not get crazy. How about our favourite error? Do you have any messages you think NSFCD should know?

You have an error in your syntax, where user_id = 2444 :U

And that's Syntax Error.

jnfs2014

Syntax sounds pretty badass.

Also, I think all of the staff should be interviewed first.

And then me. :U

Custom

I like this Syntax guy. He should post more.

Quote from: Viewtifulboy on March 11, 2013, 07:28:20 AM
Good job! I, Viewtifulboy, declare you the CHAMPION!

I'm the official winner of the Viewtiful Victory roleplay championship!

Kilroy

Quote from: NOJ_CUSTOM on December 31, 2009, 10:55:35 PM
This sounds like my thoughts.
1984 WAS SUPPOSED TO BE AN INSTRUCTION NOT MANUAL
"yes you are anusface, but i am better than!!" - taw, steam forums
 FOR NSF MASCOT

Mystic

SkyMyl

This. I'm too lazy to type anything else out.
And tired. He just refuses to admit it.

Doodle

YEAH

Thirdkoopa

For sure.

Great interview, when should we expect another one?
[21:11] <mackormoses> let's take a look at today's stats
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> stats today are high
[21:11] <mackormoses> holy intercourse ing poop
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> you adding all these standards
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> is really pushing us [/quote]
Quote from: JrDude φ on May 31, 2010, 08:32:13 PM
3 of my friends smoke weed. Why? Well I asked one time, and this is what they said: "Because I can blow out smoke and it makes me feel like a intercourse ing dragon"

Macawmoses

You'll get one or two more this month and that's it (I have to do finals). after that I expect weekly.

JrDude

Interesting.

Quote from: mackormoses on December 31, 2009, 06:49:11 PM
I love Vaatix.

He's like poop hole stepdad that everyone loves for whatever reason. I mean that in the nicest way, naturally.
I've always thought this (not those exact words, but yeah).

But this interview didn't really help me know this guy, so I don't know whether he should post more or not.
[move][/move]
Dude .

Macawmoses

That sums him up. He lives for coding and the like. As such, that's what we talked about.

jnfs2014

And since without him, we'd probably still be broken and/or have begged Vaatix more than once to come back and fix what Silver broke.

Tsumaru

Thanks, Syntax.

Though it's our fault for the TF2 server, really.

Macawmoses

Quote from: mackormoses on January 01, 2010, 03:51:10 PM
You'll get one or two more this month and that's it (I have to do finals). after that I expect weekly.

Silverhawk79