News:

<+Clu> have you tried barbecuing the computer

Main Menu

Official 3DS Discussion Thread

Started by Thirdkoopa, January 06, 2010, 08:50:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero

Quote from: Nayrman on September 13, 2011, 03:27:39 AM
And I've never liked mascots for entire consoles, or like what Mario and Sonic do. It's too much exposure all the darn time. Why can't they make their own sports games with a few recurring characters instead of more or less shoehorning in Mario for every little thing? Then again, nothing will be worse than the end of the Gamecube when he had to invade every third party sports game as well for absolutely no reason. It's just one of those "Can we have some real effort put into something different instead of just the usual cash grab Nintendo?"

Exposure=bad? Wait what? You're making about as much sense as hipster faggots that hate popular poop just because its popular. Who cares if Mario is in a lot of games, the mario sports games are actually more fun than most sports games, so what is it you want? Mario to not be as popular as he is?

Either way,, it isn't going to stop and surely you realize this.

Kayo

Calm down, guys. Nayr, if you want a new Nintendo mascot GL thinking of something that would replace Mario.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Nayrman

Quote from: Zero on September 13, 2011, 11:34:03 AM
Exposure=bad? Wait what? You're making about as much sense as hipster faggots that hate popular poop just because its popular. Who cares if Mario is in a lot of games, the mario sports games are actually more fun than most sports games, so what is it you want? Mario to not be as popular as he is?

Either way,, it isn't going to stop and surely you realize this.

There is such a thing as over exposure, and no, I'm not a hipster. I'd just like to see some darn variety with what Nintendo does instead of Mario in everything. Let's take a look at what Nintendo has in the pipe for the 3DS on games they're making. Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart, Mario Tennis, Paper Mario, Kid Icirus, Luigi's Mansion (Mario related), Fire Emblem, and Animal Crossing. See a trend here? All Mario all the time.

Quote from: Kayo on September 13, 2011, 12:01:15 PM
Calm down, guys. Nayr, if you want a new Nintendo mascot GL thinking of something that would replace Mario.

I'm not talking about replacing him as a mascot overall, but not just putting him in every little thing because Nintendo can. Surely Nintendo can come up with a fun set of characters to star in the sports titles instead of relying on the Mario face to sell things.

Tupin

Nintendo doesn't want to try anything different because they already have made investors mad and know that consumers rarely buy new IPs unless tons of money is thrown at marketing. Even then, it's not a guarantee...

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

Zero

Quote from: Nayrman on September 13, 2011, 02:21:18 PM

There is such a thing as over exposure, and no, I'm not a hipster. I'd just like to see some darn variety with what Nintendo does instead of Mario in everything. Let's take a look at what Nintendo has in the pipe for the 3DS on games they're making. Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart, Mario Tennis, Paper Mario, Kid Icirus, Luigi's Mansion (Mario related), Fire Emblem, and Animal Crossing. See a trend here? All Mario all the time.

From a business standpoint you can understand why they do it. When Nintendo DOES take risks, we get Wii Music.

Nayrman

I understand perfectly well why they do it business wise. And if I were in their position I'd probably do it too at the very least to ensure a return in the market. However, the gamer in me wants to see something different instead of the same old thing (in this case, Mario's face) on everything. So yes, business side of things I know why they do it, but the gamer in me demands something more from the biggest developer in Japan. I hope you can understand that part of it too.

Eh, more like their recent risk was courting the casual market, which resulted in Wii Music and the rest. Financially things worked at first, and then things kind of got worse, resulting in the end of the Wii's life being pretty much nothing. The thing is we could all see that bubble popping sooner or later, and ultimately it's kicking them now. Risk wise they also took one with Wind Waker because it wasn't what people wanted, and it was still a good game, it just didn't sell the bazillion copies Nintendo expects out of every release, which I think is part of their problem business wise. They seem to expect every game they make to fly off store shelves and be super mega sellers, so it results in them playing it safe to make things easily marketable. Now, could I be proven wrong really quickly with the WiiU when we actually get footage of that? Sure, but that's just how I'm seeing things so far. I almost wonder if the people in charge understand that the market for games is so much bigger than it was in the 80's and 90's and that it's very rare for any game to be that big a seller save for some very particular circumstances. Ah well, I'm almost surprised their stock fell further after last night considering it basically did what it was supposed to do, stabilize the 3DS, and I think it at least did that.

Tupin

I think investors want Nintendo to enter the iOS market, that's why they are disappointed.

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

Hero_of_Darkness

Quote from: Tupin on September 13, 2011, 04:04:41 PM
I think investors want Nintendo to enter the iOS market, that's why they are disappointed.
Bingo. It should be noted that the stock plummeted before the conference.

Investors don't really understand nor care about how the business works. They just know that the current trend is toward iOS, so Nintendo should move there. They feel that Nintendo is oblivious for not doing so. Think about how gamers feel about Nintendo's online approach, but worse. Basically, they feel that the 3DS "flopping" is due to handheld gaming being dead and that nothing will save 3DS, so it should be dropped. It's pretty nuts. They went as far as saying that the price cut failed because the 3DS didn't maintain the 200k units it sold on the first week of the cut in Japan. Even when 3DS blows up this holiday, they'll be dissatisfied when sales decrease again in January.

DededeCloneChris

Quote from: Tupin on September 13, 2011, 04:04:41 PM
Those iOS bastards.

Neerb

This is just plain insulting. They seemed to think the casual turn of the Wii was a permanent direction for the company, like they just want something to take on Apple. It's like they've never even heard of Nintendo until 2005.

Besides, what if the 3DS sells, huh? What if the Wii U does well? Do they simply not believe Nintendo can make a buck without waggle and shovelware? I almost laughed at the quote IGN had, "I don't think the games will help." Bullcrap; Mario Kart and Monster Hunter will sell consoles like... well, Mario Kart and Monster Hunter! I don't see Sony getting this crap pulled on them with their more expensive Vita, and the Vita doesn't even have as good of a parent as the 3DS has.

Hero_of_Darkness

Quote from: Neerb on September 13, 2011, 05:18:01 PM
This is just plain insulting. They seemed to think the casual turn of the Wii was a permanent direction for the company, like they just want something to take on Apple. It's like they've never even heard of Nintendo until 2005.

Besides, what if the 3DS sells, huh? What if the Wii U does well? Do they simply not believe Nintendo can make a buck without waggle and shovelware? I almost laughed at the quote IGN had, "I don't think the games will help." Bullcrap; Mario Kart and Monster Hunter will sell consoles like... well, Mario Kart and Monster Hunter! I don't see Sony getting this crap pulled on them with their more expensive Vita, and the Vita doesn't even have as good of a parent as the 3DS has.
I guess the investors weren't paying attention to what Monster Hunter did for PSP in Japan. Not counting Dragon Quest since that's huge on both consoles and handhelds there, there's only one franchise bigger on handhelds in Japan, and I think anyone with the slightest bit of sense can guess what that is.

JrDude

I stopped reading what you guys were saying by some point. But, I kinda agree with Nayr. Kinda. I like all the Mario games, but the 3DS JUST came out, I think they need to calm down on Mario a bit and save some Mario for later. It's like a water source. They're dumping all the water onto our faces instead of saving some of it when it is more necessary. If they keep this up, they're gonna run out of Mario poop to make to put on the 3DS before they should.
It's not too much Mario, it's too much Mario for this short period of time. Don't drown us in Mario, just hydrate us a bit.
[move][/move]
Dude .

Zero

Kayo

Quote from: JrDude 益 on September 14, 2011, 01:06:00 AM
I stopped reading what you guys were saying by some point. But, I kinda agree with Nayr. Kinda. I like all the Mario games, but the 3DS JUST came out, I think they need to calm down on Mario a bit and save some Mario for later. It's like a water source. They're dumping all the water onto our faces instead of saving some of it when it is more necessary. If they keep this up, they're gonna run out of Mario poop to make to put on the 3DS before they should.
It's not too much Mario, it's too much Mario for this short period of time. Don't drown us in Mario, just hydrate us a bit.
Less Mario more Pokemon I want my freaking remakes
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Hero_of_Darkness

Quote from: Kayo on September 14, 2011, 10:27:51 AM
Less Mario more Pokemon I want my freaking remakes
You'll get them...

... in Spring 2013...

... assuming Gray doesn't come first.