UH SOMETHING BROKE HANG ON

Main Menu

Official 3DS Discussion Thread

Started by Thirdkoopa, January 06, 2010, 08:50:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kayo

Quote from: Doodle on September 19, 2011, 07:21:08 AM
I think that applies to most people
As in most of them I don't like at all. Like PMD and Ranger etc, never got into them. I don't see how people could play them.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Hero_of_Darkness

Quote from: Neerb on September 19, 2011, 08:59:18 AM
Those exist?

It's the biggest spin-off series. It fills the void of an open-ended Pokemon game with a strong story.

DededeCloneChris

Quote from: Hero_of_Darkness on September 19, 2011, 12:16:32 PM
It's the biggest spin-off series. It fills the void of an open-ended Pokemon game with a strong, cheesy story with darn scary logic.
Fixed.

Zero

Quote from: Hero_of_Darkness on September 19, 2011, 02:06:53 PM
Strong for a Nintendo game.

If you consider that plot a strong plot for a Nintendo game, then Golden Sun's plot must be intense for a Nintendo game.

Kayo

I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Hero_of_Darkness

Quote from: Kayo on September 19, 2011, 05:03:48 PM
PMD? Plot?

Does not compute
Compared to other Pokemon games.

Then again, I've never played PMD, so what do I know?

Neerb

After the lovely surprise that was Black & White, main series Pokemon stories have a new bar to reach, and PMD is no longer the only source of story-oriented Pokemon games.

Kayo

Pokemon R/B: No plot at all, just collect badges and become the very best. Team Rocket slows you a bit.

Pokemon G/S: Same as above, but now somewhere in the middle you have to deal with a Red Gyarados and a giant birdlike creature. Crystal added a traveling Suicune to the mix.

Pokemon R/S: Now we have two rival villainous teams (one which isn't exactly villainous). You must stop a team from harnessing the power of a landform-changing Pokemon in order to change the world as they see fit. And you meet them several times along the way and have to retrace your steps and revisit old towns a few times. In Emerald, it's even greater in that BOTH teams are villainous and competing against each other, and you have to worry about BOTH of them. In all cases it culminates with a strong climax that even alters the weather AND music of half the locations on the map.

Pokemon D/P: Now we take a step backward and there's again one villainous team who wants nothing but world domination. Plus, the two games are IDENTICAL, up to the very peak of the climax. The ONLY difference is which Pokemon Cyrus tries to use. He doesn't give a darn which power they have at all. In fact, if you're playing one game, the Pokemon from the other game may as well not even exist. You see nothing about Palkia if you're playing Diamond, and vice versa. This was the case in R/S too, but they brought both Pokemon in with Emerald. Platinum didn't really do that.

Pokemon B/W: The villainous team honestly thinks their intentions are good, with the whole liberation of Pokemon thing. Both cover legendaries are heavily involved regardless of the version you're playing, but how their powers help to achieve the villainous goal is still unknown.

Needless to say, Pokemon Emerald actually had the most complex, developed story.
[move][/move]

DededeCloneChris

Team Plasma had more things going on, though. Like N being some kind of savior and Dennis being a complete monster during his son's childhood.

Kayo

Quote from: NotAsagiChris on September 19, 2011, 06:47:39 PM
Team Plasma had more things going on, though. Like N being some kind of savior and Dennis being a complete monster during his son's childhood.
But none of this was revealed until the very end, which was an awkward place even. Thank god you were able to leave and re-enter the castle during the climax, otherwise I would have been insanely mad off. It can't compare to Emerald's plot in any way.
[move][/move]

Hero_of_Darkness

Quote from: Kayo on September 19, 2011, 05:56:32 PM
Pokemon R/B: No plot at all, just collect badges and become the very best. Team Rocket slows you a bit.

Pokemon G/S: Same as above, but now somewhere in the middle you have to deal with a Red Gyarados and a giant birdlike creature. Crystal added a traveling Suicune to the mix.

Pokemon R/S: Now we have two rival villainous teams (one which isn't exactly villainous). You must stop a team from harnessing the power of a landform-changing Pokemon in order to change the world as they see fit. And you meet them several times along the way and have to retrace your steps and revisit old towns a few times. In Emerald, it's even greater in that BOTH teams are villainous and competing against each other, and you have to worry about BOTH of them. In all cases it culminates with a strong climax that even alters the weather AND music of half the locations on the map.

Pokemon D/P: Now we take a step backward and there's again one villainous team who wants nothing but world domination. Plus, the two games are IDENTICAL, up to the very peak of the climax. The ONLY difference is which Pokemon Cyrus tries to use. He doesn't give a darn which power they have at all. In fact, if you're playing one game, the Pokemon from the other game may as well not even exist. You see nothing about Palkia if you're playing Diamond, and vice versa. This was the case in R/S too, but they brought both Pokemon in with Emerald. Platinum didn't really do that.

Pokemon B/W: The villainous team honestly thinks their intentions are good, with the whole liberation of Pokemon thing. Both cover legendaries are heavily involved regardless of the version you're playing, but how their powers help to achieve the villainous goal is still unknown.

Needless to say, Pokemon Emerald actually had the most complex, developed story.
That's not even remotely true. Cyrus's plan was to recreate the universe without emotion. World domination wasn't even a part of it. In fact, you're off with GS as well. Team Rocket's goal was to get Giovanni back.

You let your nostalgia get in the way of your judgement. Emerald had zero character development, a poopty rival, and the bad guys were just plain boring and gave up without a fight. The characters were basically robots. The story was definitely above average for the series, but to act like it was the uncontested winner is simply fooling yourself. DP and BW were far better in terms of character development and BW actually made you think and did a better job of feeling like an RPG than any other game in the series. The characters felt more like real people than the rest of the series.

Quote from: Kayo on September 19, 2011, 06:51:10 PM
But none of this was revealed until the very end, which was an awkward place even. Thank god you were able to leave and re-enter the castle during the climax, otherwise I would have been insanely mad off. It can't compare to Emerald's plot in any way.
Why was being able to leave N's Castle so important?