News:

UH SOMETHING BROKE HANG ON

Main Menu

Official 3DS Discussion Thread

Started by Thirdkoopa, January 06, 2010, 08:50:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kayo

Quote from: Hero_of_Darkness on September 19, 2011, 09:06:17 PM
That's not even remotely true. Cyrus's plan was to recreate the universe without emotion. World domination wasn't even a part of it. In fact, you're off with GS as well. Team Rocket's goal was to get Giovanni back.

You let your nostalgia get in the way of your judgement. Emerald had zero character development, a poopty rival, and the bad guys were just plain boring and gave up without a fight. The characters were basically robots. The story was definitely above average for the series, but to act like it was the uncontested winner is simply fooling yourself. DP and BW were far better in terms of character development and BW actually made you think and did a better job of feeling like an RPG than any other game in the series. The characters felt more like real people than the rest of the series.
I'm the first one to discard the nostalgia glasses and name everything wrong with Gens 1 and 2, so don't go there. The rival does not make the story, and Emerald is the only one that had a legitimate PLOT that actually felt like, at least to me, a full story plot rather than a subplot. DP had no plot at all. Cyrus was dull and the legendaries sucked. I'll admit I said "world domination" because I couldn't remember what the intercourse  it was, but it was so boring and was nothing beyond text that I just don't like it. It's the kind of plot that, if you don't understand the text (say you're playing a Japanese version) you get absolutely ZERO information about it. At least in Emerald the climax of the story changed the weather around for half the region. Honestly, I thought that was REALLY cool. It showed how that conflict legitimately was affecting everything.

I loved B/W, I'm not denying that. I'm just not seeing how Reshiram and Zekrom make sense in the team's goal. They're more of opposites than any other legendary duo, which is really cool considering you get one, N gets one, and they fight. I'll give it that, and BW was actually my 2nd favorite series as far as storyline. You're needlessly bashing Emerald. Who cares how the characters gave up? There were TWO teams, TWO hideouts, and you were retracing steps around the whole region. It's INVOLVED. It was definitely better than DP, in which the struggles never left that little crater inside Mt. Coronet. Or whatever Spear Pillar is. I just liked how far outward the climax expanded. Instead of just having three little closed off lakes and a cave inside a mountain being your main focal points.

tl;dr who gives a intercourse  about character developments when the event seems to actually have an effect on the world. It's cool.

Why was being able to leave N's Castle so important?
Only because it would be a poor move to trap you inside the castle, considering how long it took and the battles you have at the end of it. It's good that you're allowed to leave and visit the PC/heal/shop. Doesn't seem important since we have it, but if you were forced to be trapped in there it would be a little unsettling.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

DededeCloneChris

To be fair, the castle had some healing facilities minus the shop.

Hero_of_Darkness

Quote from: NotAsagiChris on September 19, 2011, 09:18:19 PM
This. It had a PC too. The only thing the shop was needed for was getting balls anyway.

Quote from: Kayo on September 19, 2011, 09:15:21 PM
On the story point, we just have differing opinions. I can't call a story great when all of the characters are robots, but that's just me. Also, I'm not really bashing Emerald. It definitely felt bigger than any other Pokemon game in terms of story. It did the best job of integrating story and gameplay. At the same time, you could tell that it came from the same guys who made the first two gens. Characters sucked and writing was mediocre compared to Platinum and later. We have no idea why the bosses went after these goals other than "I like land/sea Pokemon!" Both plans were so obviously flawed that it was ridiculous. It was good by Pokemon standards, especially at the time, and after BW it's my second favorite plot simply because of the two teams, but that's as far as it goes. (Though, this is partially influenced by my feeling that Aqua and Magma were by far the most yawn-inducing enemy teams, imo.)

Kayo

Quote from: NotAsagiChris on September 19, 2011, 09:18:19 PM
It may have, but it still wouldn't be right to trap you in there until the game's over. Remember, if you didn't know what was to happen, you wouldn't think you'd be thrown into the castle right after the Elite Four. It's never good to trap players like that. Especially when they have to catch the all-important Reshiram/Zekrom... because you can't kill it. Maybe grab a pokemon with Hypnosis to make it easier to catch?

Trapping. Is. Bad.

Quote from: Hero_of_Darkness on September 19, 2011, 10:07:37 PM
This. It had a PC too. The only thing the shop was needed for was getting balls anyway.
Remember, you're FORCED to CATCH Reshiram/Zekrom to move on. You need the chance to go back and buy Pokeballs.
QuoteOn the story point, we just have differing opinions. I can't call a story great when all of the characters are robots, but that's just me. Also, I'm not really bashing Emerald. It definitely felt bigger than any other Pokemon game in terms of story. It did the best job of integrating story and gameplay. At the same time, you could tell that it came from the same guys who made the first two gens. Characters sucked and writing was mediocre compared to Platinum and later. We have no idea why the bosses went after these goals other than "I like land/sea Pokemon!" Both plans were so obviously flawed that it was ridiculous. It was good by Pokemon standards, especially at the time, and after BW it's my second favorite plot simply because of the two teams, but that's as far as it goes. (Though, this is partially influenced by my feeling that Aqua and Magma were by far the most yawn-inducing enemy teams, imo.)
At the time is the key phrase; wait until the remakes come out. I imagine they can improve Aqua and Magma well.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

JrDude

Quote from: Kayo on September 19, 2011, 10:10:09 PM
Remember, you're FORCED to CATCH Reshiram/Zekrom to move on. You need the chance to go back and buy Pokeballs.
This was the only reason you could go back. If catching them wasn't part of the story, they probably wouldn't have let you go back.
[move][/move]
Dude .

Kayo

Quote from: JrDude 益 on September 20, 2011, 02:33:34 AM
This was the only reason you could go back. If catching them wasn't part of the story, they probably wouldn't have let you go back.
...that's the point. Because the ending is in a sense trapping (you can't proceed without doing X but you need certain materials to do X) they have to let you out. Plus you can leave to train for Ghetsis who was disproportionately tough compared to the E4, if you want. I didn't, but it's not really a bad idea to do that.
[move][/move]

Hero_of_Darkness

Quote from: Kayo on September 20, 2011, 03:42:53 AM
...that's the point. Because the ending is in a sense trapping (you can't proceed without doing X but you need certain materials to do X) they have to let you out. Plus you can leave to train for Ghetsis who was disproportionately tough compared to the E4, if you want. I didn't, but it's not really a bad idea to do that.

It's a good thing Game Freak isn't stupid, then.

And Ghetsis wasn't as hard as he could have been if you weren't magically healed after the N fight. GF was very generous there.

Zero

I never played Emerald because R/S intercourse ing sucked the first time around. You kids put up with stupid poop.

ENDLESS SURFING YES GAME FREAK THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I DESIRE. MORE SURFING.

Neerb

Quote from: Zero on September 20, 2011, 05:39:01 AM
I never played Emerald because R/S intercourse ing sucked the first time around. You kids put up with stupid poop.

GameFreak: "Alright, alright, we get it: you don't want to surf very far. We'll make sure to have far less water in Sinnoh."
*makes D/P surfing the slowest possible way of travel*

One of the reasons I liked Unova so much was because they almost got rid of surfing altogether, leaving only a little bit of required waters and a bit of optional waters (which I still haven't bothered to explore) as well. It's a shame the land was so freaking SMALL, but I can sorta forgive it since the entire region is supposed to take up the same geographic area as New York City.

Doodle

Quote from: Kayo on September 19, 2011, 10:10:09 PM
It may have, but it still wouldn't be right to trap you in there until the game's over. Remember, if you didn't know what was to happen, you wouldn't think you'd be thrown into the castle right after the Elite Four. It's never good to trap players like that. Especially when they have to catch the all-important Reshiram/Zekrom... because you can't kill it. Maybe grab a pokemon with Hypnosis to make it easier to catch?
I assumed they just made it easier. I got him into the red and just threw a few ultra balls at him and I had him. :U
YEAH

Hero_of_Darkness

Quote from: Doodle on September 20, 2011, 06:45:27 AM
I assumed they just made it easier. I got him into the red and just threw a few ultra balls at him and I had him. :U
Like Dialga and Palkia, they had a higher catch rate than other legendaries.

Kayo

Quote from: Hero_of_Darkness on September 20, 2011, 04:42:45 AM
It's a good thing Game Freak isn't stupid, then.

And Ghetsis wasn't as hard as he could have been if you weren't magically healed after the N fight. GF was very generous there.
He was still pretty tough, but not near impossible. Challenges are good.

Quote from: Zero on September 20, 2011, 05:39:01 AM

Emerald is WAY better than R/S were.
Plus an open ocean is 200 times more realistic than a straight line of water bordered by parallel lines of conveniently placed rocks. Use a repel and it's actually pretty interesting to explore. The only thing with it is Wingulls and Tentacools. You people complain about everything. OMG THERE'S WATER BAWWWWW
Plus, the land part of Hoenn was already pretty big.

Quote from: Doodle on September 20, 2011, 06:45:27 AM
I caught Resh in a Premier Ball. ヽ(ยดー`)ノ
They still make sure you can get back to a mart just in case you're like most noob gamers who carry 3 pokeballs and a great ball like it'll catch everything.

Quote from: Hero_of_Darkness on September 20, 2011, 10:24:51 AM
Like Dialga and Palkia, they had a higher catch rate than other legendaries.
They're even higher than Dialga and Palkia. Their catch rate is the record highest for legendary Pokemon.
[move][/move]

Zero

Quote from: Kayo on September 20, 2011, 11:58:03 AM

Emerald is WAY better than R/S were.
Plus an open ocean is 200 times more realistic than a straight line of water bordered by parallel lines of conveniently placed rocks. Use a repel and it's actually pretty interesting to explore. The only thing with it is Wingulls and Tentacools. You people complain about everything. OMG THERE'S WATER BAWWWWW
Plus, the land part of Hoenn was already pretty big.

I believe you. It probably was better, after all, it had more content. You're fooling yourself if you think Hoenn's "open ocean" is "open" though. There are still conveniently placed rocks, theres just SO much more ocean than past games and if I wanted realism I sure as intercourse  wouldn't be playing Pokemon. If I was truly complaining about everything regarding R/S/E then I'd be saying its a poop game. It's not though. It just had too much intercourse ing ocean.

No one plays Pokemon because a Goldeen can support your weight.

Kayo

Quote from: Zero on September 20, 2011, 12:12:40 PM
I believe you. It probably was better, after all, it had more content. You're fooling yourself if you think Hoenn's "open ocean" is "open" though. There are still conveniently placed rocks, theres just SO much more ocean than past games and if I wanted realism I sure as intercourse  wouldn't be playing Pokemon. If I was truly complaining about everything regarding R/S/E then I'd be saying its a poop game. It's not though. It just had too much intercourse ing ocean.

No one plays Pokemon because a Goldeen can support your weight.
Well no it's not completely open, but it's not just straight lines either. Still, quit whining just because there's water. It's really not that big of a deal. NOW, you'd be right to complain if there was less land and more water, like taking a region the size of Johto and submerging half of it. But remember, Hoenn WITHOUT the ocean is pretty big (though the towns suck), so it doesn't take anything away from the game.
[move][/move]

Custom

tl;dr
pokemon is a bunch of bad games
you all are a bunch of furries and faggots

Quote from: Viewtifulboy on March 11, 2013, 07:28:20 AM
Good job! I, Viewtifulboy, declare you the CHAMPION!

I'm the official winner of the Viewtiful Victory roleplay championship!