News:

<Clu> no nsfcd is basically a ghost town, it should be killed behind fences

Main Menu

Official NSF Super Smash Bros. Brawl Tournament Thread (Tourney 4 brackets up)

Started by King_Gamer28, February 18, 2008, 06:04:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

King_Gamer28

That's quite a mouthful for a thread title. Yeck.

Hi.
Let's not screw this up, guys, alright?

Keeping in mind there's no tl;dr option, just read this all once if you plan to sign up for any tourneys and it'll make everyone's life easier. Post any questions if you have them.

This is the official NSF Super Smash Bros. Brawl tournament thread. What this means is that now that Brawl is out, we allow a few days for people to sign up, then we're going to start hosting some tournaments for you all! We assume most people will be of similar skill once we get the game, and we hope that everyone will improve. Besides, nobody should be marginally better than everyone else, at any rate, considering we've played Melee for so long anyways, right?

Now, the backstory here is that I recently got my hands on some amazing tournament making software, which makes this a whole lot easier for me anyways (I was going to make this thread anyways). We'll try to have a few tournaments running simultaneously and thus you will have many options for what you want to play in. Many tournaments will be conducted with special twists, such as requiring you to play on a specific stage or as a certain character, etc., or with rule changes such as timed/sudden death, etc.

We'll always have one tournament per month, at least, that is the simple single-elimination "winner take all" tournament, with the standard rules. "Standard" rules is a 5 4-man stock match. The winner of said tournament gets a rank that SH is going to make for you.

During these tournaments, you'll be able to see the brackets in-action, as I can get them uploaded and posted pretty quickly. So, you'll be able to see progress relatively quickly.

Friend Codes: To do this, we'll also need everyone who plays to have each other's friend codes. Quite frankly, I don't care how you do it, but you'd better get them. If you ever sign up for a tournament here, and your friend code is posted in the Official Friend Code Thread, then it'll also be posted here, below. You have to love integration through a community? So, get them in there. Remember, PMs to find this stuff out are your friends, if they aren't posted.

Signing up: The basic premise is that you have two options on signing up for tournaments:

• Selection (No requirements): Sign up for one tournament at a time, at the time sign-ups are held. You may or may not make it in time to earn a spot this way, but it allows you to pick and choose what you want to play in.
  • Sign up in bulk (Prerequisite: See note) : Sign up for all given tournaments in the next 30 days. Secures you a spot in all tournaments for that time frame. DON'T select this option if you may not be able to make all these tournaments, because doing so pencils you in for ALL of them in the next 30 days. We plan to run more than one at a time, so DON'T DO THIS if you don't want to play in a good chunk of tournaments!
    (NOTE: You must participate in at least three (3) tournaments and win at least one (1) of them before you can actually choose to do this. After doing that, you can exercise this option one time. After you've used up your bulk sign-up, you have to participate in 3 more and win 1 more before you can do it again. You can rack these up consecutively, and save them, if you want. This is is to prevent tournaments from having loads of people signed up prior to its beginning leaving less spots open, but it also acts as a reward for people if they want to use it. Kinda like frequent flyer miles.)

Misc. Rules and such:

1. READ THIS: It should be understood that you and your opponent should need to find a time to play your match. It is NOT my responsibility.
2. All matches should be conducted ASAP. And by this, I mean if you don't get them done within the allotted time, and both players tried to get the game done, we're going to give the win to the higher seed and move on. In games where a higher seed does not exist, this will be judged on a case-by-case basis to determine what happens. Please, don't sign up for a tourney if you can't set up a match with the guy you're playing.
3. You're always allowed to pull out if you can't make a match for whatever reason.
4. Don't be an jerk, in general, concerning anything. Have good sportsmanship, please, or leave.
5. More rules/appendices may be added if need be.

King_Gamer28

TOURNAMENT LISTINGS

(All times ET)

2. "That's Final!" (Tourney #2) ~ In Progress

-Player limit: None
-Stock (4)
-Single-Elimination
-Stage: Random
-Items: HIGH frequency, ONLY Smash Balls

Info: The purpose of this tournament is to fight as you would any other time, but with more of a part played with the final smashes. Those will play the biggest part in this tournament, as we can probably predict. This may persuade you to change your character. Maybe?

Bracket:
All brackets generated randomly. If you have a bye, it's not because you're better than the other person, it's because that's how it worked itself out. I chose none of these matchups.

Due to the number of people in the tournament, four preliminary matches must be played to narrow the field down to 16 players. This is why there are so many byes this time around.

ROUND 1: A.S.A.P.

3. "Primavera de 2008 (Spring of 2008)" (Tourney #3) ~ In Progress

-Stock (3)
-Single-Elimination
-Stage: Distant Planet
-Items: Agree upon this - it doesn't matter.

Info: Spring is almost upon us! To celebrate Spring of 2008, you can expect to play all of your matches in a very outdoorsy environment, the Distant Planet.

Bracket:
All brackets generated randomly. If you have a bye, it's not because you're better than the other person, it's because that's how it worked itself out. I chose none of these matchups.

ROUND 2: A.S.A.P.

LIST:
1. King_Gamer28
2. Geno
3. Triforce_Luigi
4. Darkmario
5. wiiboychris
6. Depster
7. Skye8600
8. Mario766
9. Allegretto
10. Metroidhunter777
11. Radarr
12. ANDREWSCH
13. ChunkeyMonkey
14. WiseWarrior
15. Silverhawk79
16. WIIGAMER24

4. "The Boom-Bassa-Boom Festival!" (Tourney #4) ~ In Progress

-Stock (3)
-Single-Elimination
-Stage: You must agree on a stage beforehand. If you do not, pick Battlefield.
-Items: Bob-ombs, Smart Bombs, Motion-Sensor Bombs, Blast Boxes, high
-Character: You must choose Snake.

Bracket:

ROUND 1: A.S.A.P.

LIST:
1. King_Gamer28
2. Marth Xero
3. Darkmario
4. Philly Kid
5. JNeedForSpeed2
6. Metroidhunter777
7. ChunkeyMunkey
8. Java_Java
9. Depster
10. Lightningsword
11. Radarr

Ranked Tourney #2 (April) ("Tourney #5"): Sign-ups will begin soon, hopefully, when Tourney 2 and 3 are finished.

Friend Code List:
Your friend code is listed below ONLY if you've signed up for at least one tournament and it's also in the Official Friend Code Thread.

Allegretto
1332-7394-9119

ANDREWSCH
4511-0138-9078

ChunkeyMonkey
0774-3973-8856

Darkmario
3093-6749-5951

Depster
3050-7249-4136

Geno
4639-8624-8536

Hector_the_Axe
2449-4303-0604

Java_Java
0860-2929-3744

King_Gamer28
0387-8608-2112

La Pared
5455-9050-9658

Lightningsword
2234-6813-1429

Marth Xero
3737-9413-4893

Radarr
5327-0591-3518

SBSTN1
1289-7871-3587

Silverhawk79
3265-4746-1476

Skye8600
1246-8385-1071

Triforce_Luigi
5198-2104-5120

wiiboychris
4639-8651-4641

WIIGAMER24
5327-0658-5335

Tournament Archives:

Ranked Tourney #1

All-Time Victories List:

This is where those who have won first place and runner up victories will be chronicled.

(1st place finishes - 2nd place/runner up finishes - failures to reach top 2)

1st Place Finishes

Allegretto (x1)
1. Rank Tourney #1 (Tourney #1)

Runner-up Finishes

wiiboychris (x1)
1. Rank Tourney #1 (Tourney #1)

Dawei

Who "officialized" this?

Also, what are you basing your "standard" rules off of? Because even with my deep knowledge of Smash, I don't know any time when 5 stock was standard (or at least still is considered standard).

King_Gamer28

Quote from: Dawei on February 18, 2008, 06:10:30 PM
Who "officialized" this?

Also, what are you basing your "standard" rules off of? Because even with my deep knowledge of Smash, I don't know any time when 5 stock was standard (or at least still is considered standard).
SH did.

Also, I asked a good handful of people what they though a normal match should be and they all agreed upon a relatively low stock match. I mean, there never was a "standard", but if EVERYONE wants to disagree with me and tell me that something else should be used for a universally fair match, by all means, tell me.

Dawei

Quote from: King_Gamer28 on February 18, 2008, 06:16:16 PM
Who "officialized" this?

SH did.
Also, I asked a good handful of people what they though a normal match should be and they all agreed upon a relatively low stock match.
You haven't watch many Brawl matches I can assume. Nor do you pay much attention to "standards".

The official standard has already been practically confirmed to be 3 stock. 4 stock matches take 6-8 minutes on average. 5 stock is way to high for how long people live in Brawl.

King_Gamer28

Quote from: Dawei on February 18, 2008, 06:18:18 PM
Quote from: King_Gamer28 on February 18, 2008, 06:16:16 PM
Who "officialized" this?

SH did.
Also, I asked a good handful of people what they though a normal match should be and they all agreed upon a relatively low stock match.
You haven't watch many Brawl matches I can assume. Nor do you pay much attention to "standards".

The official standard has already been practically confirmed to be 3 stock. 4 stock matches take 6-8 minutes on average. 5 stock is way to high for how long people live in Brawl.
I've watched a LOT of gameplay videos, but not enough stock videos, quite frankly because not a whole lot exist. But, yes, matches do tend to take considerably longer, and a 5 stock match might be a bit, well, much.

I honestly wanted it to be 4, but it seemed like more people thought 5 was a better option. I think it's too high, really. I think 3 or 4 would be a better option. It will almost definitely be lowered to one or the other (likely 4, maybe 3). You are correct, mhm.

Depster

yeah, 5 is too much, even in melee...  Oh, will you put me on the waiting list?

Brawl Code: 3050-7249-4136    Message me yours!

Tupin

5 is too much for a tournament....

I think I'm going to go bump the Official FC Thread.

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

King_Gamer28

Quote from: Tuppyluver1 on February 18, 2008, 06:31:53 PM
5 is too much for a tournament....

I think I'm going to go bump the Official FC Thread.
I changed it to four. I agree wholeheartedly.

HTA!

Hmph....

I was expecting a continuation of SWW7's thread... and still am.

Dawei

Quote from: Hector_the_Axe on February 18, 2008, 07:31:16 PM
Hmph....

Me and mom are making one... when one of us gets around to it.

jnfs2014

Macawmoses

I like how the guys that run the board don't get input, but a user that averages a post a week in this board does. Quite curious.

Anyways, just  a reminder that any off topic posts will be deleted, free of charge.

HTA!

Quote from: Dawei on February 18, 2008, 07:34:23 PM
Quote from: Hector_the_Axe on February 18, 2008, 07:31:16 PM
Hmph....

Me and mom are making one... when one of us gets around to it.
I offered to do it, but Mack is a jerk  >:(

:P

Ridley

...Friend codes were probably implemented by the same people who wanted tripping in Brawl...
...It's quite obvious...