News:

<+Clu> have you tried barbecuing the computer

Main Menu

The SSB4 Wishlist - From modes, to improvements, to characters, to features!

Started by QingXin, August 07, 2008, 10:17:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QingXin

The Super Smash Bros. 4 Wishlist!!

Well, I distinctly remember Sakurai saying in some interview or maybe on the Dojo, "This game is so good, it's almost impossible to improve upon it" or something along those lines...

Welllll my Sakurai... I disagree. There's always room for improvement, and for a new Smash game, these improvements, along with new features, just may be added.

Basically, here's an accurate look (in my mind) of possible features or improvements to appear in an SSB4. This is mostly inspired by the SSB4 poll I held...

Gameplay
Loads of people seemed to dislike Brawl's fighting engine, and lean towards Melee's more. I think combining the two would be the best way to settle this. Have the fast paced fighting of Melee, with the superior dodging and snapping capabilities of Brawl. Smells good :|

Was tripping ever necessary? It's the most pointless element of any game ever created. I'd say keep it for banana slips and stuff, but the random slips have to go...

Broken Characters
Many people believed all the characters to be balanced at the release date of Brawl... But we all creeped up upon the truth that some characters were simply just too powerful, or broken.

Classic examples?

Snake's Strong Attacks (also known as "tilts") are amazingly broken. They nearly perform the same knockback as most character's Smash Attacks :P

Metaknight is a biggie, as his attack are way to fast for most characters to counter, and his priority is so high, that he could probably slice through any attack :O

I'm sure there's more, but we'll let them unravel themselves ;)

Adventure Mode
To say the least, the Subspace Emissary was shallow and stale, at best. The only parts where the mode really shined was the amazing cutscenes, but that was it. It would become frustrating at certain areas, and you'll blow your head off after seeing your character bounce all over the screen because of an unsuspected charge shot from a Scope Primid... Boss fights were also pretty shallow, and gave you no value in beating them, really.

What could you improve upon it? Well, first off, I'd say a Stamina damage counter would be more suitable for the side-scrolling portions of the Adventure moreso than Percentages. Also, Boss fights should require you to think up a strategy. Say, set up mirrors in certain areas and leading a Boss' energy blasts into one of the mirrors, striking the Boss and sending them towards the ground for you to beat on.

I also believe that maybe some "minigame sequences" (for lack of a better term), such as a 3rd person view of Fox flying his Arwing, or a side-scrolling mounted chase with Mario on Yoshi, chasing an enemy down while jumping over obstacles. It adds much more variety and excitement into the mode, in my opinion.

If not, then bring back Melee's Adventure Mode!!!

Character Costumes
It's not a BIG deal, but it would be nice to see some changes with Character models:

Team Battles - Lots of people dislike how your character MUST take the color of the team that they're on, making regular Red Mario + Green Luigi teams (as an example) impossible. A simple arrow above the character's head, or making the player's name's font a particular color works out fine, in my opinion.

Color Edit - With all this talk about Texture Hacking, it got me thinking... What if the next Smash Bros. game allowed players to edit colors on a character?

For example... Each character would have their default colors, and one premade edit color. That premade edit color can be changed by you.

So take Mario, for example. You'd be able to change his three primary colors, which are Red (Shirt and Cap), Blue (Overalls), and Dark Brown (Hair) into any color you want.

Or take Link. Change Green (Tunic), Yellow (Hair), and Brown (Boots and Bracers) to any color you want! I'm a little iffy on if skin would be allowed to change, since it would seem unreasonable to have a Pink skinned Link running around.

Alternate Costumes - Oh yeah, people have been asking for this for awhile now, and it started with Wario. Every character in Smash is eligible for an Alternate Costume, so there really is no excuse. Throw me a character name, and I can name an alternate costume for it  :)

Refined Stage Builder
Many people (including me) were disappointed in how shallow and limited the Stage Builder was. I'm a sucker for customization, and I adore it (just look at my Mii's...), but the Stage Builder didn't appeal to me as much (but people who receive my stages will disagree, as I send my Wii friends so many stages that they get mad at me). This isn't a complaint, but a recommendation...

1. Real-Time Backgrounds would be a win. Brawl featured three, paper 2-D backgrounds that really added no excitement or finesse to the stages. It'd be nice to see trees swaying on a forest background, or water dripping in a cavern.

2. The ability to add infinite land or ceiling. By this, I mean being given the option to have a land mass (as the ground or ceiling) extend infinitely off the sides and all the way down/up. I would love to build an indoor stage and call it "Endless Hall" with a real ceiling and ground that extends ad infinitum off the sides.

3. Water??? Where is it? Imagine, building a stage featuring multiple floating rafts in an endless ocean. That spells epic, for me.

Online Play
Online play in Brawl is probably one of the worst that Nintendo has come up with. Something more like Mario Kart Wii would be an epic win.

Friend Codes also become a hassle. Simple usernames would be fine and dandy. Also, voice chat is a must. You have no idea how many times people hate lag, and need to tell the other person, "crap, that was lag-caused!!!"

Speaking of lag, Nintendo surely fell short of this. The lag is absolutely HORRENDOUS. I play worse than I would on Offline simply because of the lag... This is why XBox Live and Playstation Network are so successful...

Another sweet feature would be Downloadable Content... Imagine downloading new stages, Event Matches, trophies, or even characters... O_O

Character Inclusions
Maybe Sakurai outta pay attention to his polls, as Ridley had one of the highest scores, and yet, he's included as a boss. Geno is also in this same position, but he's not represented at all. This is saddening, and Nintendo needs to open their eyes to the fact that fan appeal is everything. No one wanted an NES/Famicon accessory to become playable, so why'd you add it? Hmmmm? HMMMMMMM...???  >:(

Time Restraints
Did you guys take your time making this game? It seems rushed, to me. I mean, even with the TWO DELAYS, it still seems to most people that the game seemed to have been made in a rush...

Keep your promises, too... No clone characters? While they are less clonish, where's Ganondorf's sword? :(

That's really all I have to say. Posts your opinions, and I'll add it up here with your name included. That way, it becomes sort of the "SSB4 Wishlist", I guess...  :|

Here's the Character Wishlist, developed by me, and other people throughout the thread ;)

Newcomers :D
Ridley (too big my butt :|)
Samurai Goroh
King K. Rool
Bowser Jr.
Ray [insert model here]
Isaac
Krystal
Geno
Bomberman (Hudson is responsible for Mario Party and Mii [I think], btw... Just saying)
Mewtwo (not really a newcomer, but, whatever)
Megaman (Nintendo has a sorta solid relationship with Capcom)

Axed Characters :O
Lucario
R.O.B.

StarWindWizard7

Delete Friend Codes, add voice chat/communication, try to make online lag free like Mario kart Wii... etc...

OH, Add more Characters and 3rd parties.  :robotindifferent:

Nayrman

There are only three things we need:
1. FIX ONLINE GOD DAMMIT A LAG-FREE INTERNET SHOULDN"T BE TOO MUCH TO ASK FOR!!!
2. Make adventure mode like Melee's...it was much more fun instead of beating generic enemies in uniteresting locations
3. Put in characters people actually want, ya know, like Isaac, Anyone from Metroid, Goroh, Geno, etc. instead of worthless peripherals.

Playat

As nayrman stated, FIX ONLINE PLAY PLZ!!!.
I understand that Sakurai tried his very best to make smash go online but please make online better. You have Mario Kart Wii online features as a reference or something. Add voice chat

tibar21

There were a few characters that should've been in:
Geno
Ridley
Isaac
Krystal
Bowser Jr
and more.

the selection of stage builder pieces and backgrounds was dissapointing. It's impossible to make a stage look like it was actually made by the BRawl making people.
Super Smash Bros Brawl FC: 2622-1690-4267
Pokemon Soul Silver FC: 4855-9306-7114
Mario Kart Wii FC: 4898-5017-8746

Nayrman

Quote from: PLAYAT on August 07, 2008, 11:53:46 AM
As nayrman stated, FIX ONLINE PLAY PLZ!!!.
I understand that Sakurai tried his very best to make smash go online but please make online better. You have Mario Kart Wii online features as a reference or something. Add voice chat

More like Nintendo wants Mario to be the best at everything so they purposely made Brawl online bad to make Mario Kart look great or something.

Tupin

-Fix online Sakurai, or at least hand it over to Nintendo so they can make it have no lag. Sora is just a small company of like 30-40 people, and their servers are terrible.

-Make the adventure mode less tedious and actually fun to play.

-Add characters people actually WANT. What was the point of doing all of those polls (Japan-only, I might add) if you weren't going to use any of their suggestions?

-Don't delay it for frivolous reasons. The last one month delay in America was obviously just so Japan could have it for longer. Or better yet, release the same day all around the world.

-Take your time. Despite all of the delays, the game just felt very rushed.

-Don't say things you can't follow through on. No clone characters? At least 40 characters? I rest my case.

That said, Brawl is decent, but not as good as I expected it to be.

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

Java

- Don't get lazy half way while you're making the game.
Some things just really irked me because of how lazy the team got.

- If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Why mess with Break the Targets if nothing was wrong with it in the first place.
Nobody wanted to play generic stages with all 30-something characters.

- FIX "WITH ANYONE" ONLINE PLAY!
I STILL CAN'T EVEN CONNECT!  >:(

- Follow through on your promises (like Tuppy said).
No, half clones don't count as removing clones

- As everyone else said, add characters that people actually liked and don't remove characters that we did like. >_>

@ PLAYAT: I really don't think Sakurai tried his best to bring Online Play.

tibar21

it wasn't rushed.
They improved on decloning, changing many characters moves:
for instance: they changed falco's reflecter, side smash, standard A attack, etc.
Lucas's special attacks have different effects tahn Ness's. Lucas's A moves are nearly completely different from Ness's.
Fire Emblem characters have different movesets.
the only characters that are really clones are Toon Link-Link, and Ganondorf-Captain Falcon. Other than that they did a pretty good job on decloning. I was dissapointed with the Subspace though. Even though it had a great story line it wasn't fun at all. The enemies were just annoying and the boss battles required no specific strategy.
from what i hear online play wasn't good quality.
Every game has its flaws. This game just seems to have a lot because some people expected the impossible. I can't name any other game that has more fun modes than brawl. Overall the game is still great. The graphics are just insane.

QingXin

Quote from: tibar21 on August 07, 2008, 12:29:36 PM
it wasn't rushed.
for instance: they changed falco's reflecter, side smash, standard A attack, etc.
Lucas's special attacks have different effects tahn Ness's. Lucas's A moves are nearly completely different from Ness's.
the only characters that are really clones are Toon Link-Link, and Ganondorf-Captain Falcon. Other than that they did a pretty good job on decloning. I was dissapointed with the Subspace though. Even though it had a great story line it wasn't fun at all. The enemies were just annoying and the boss battles required no specific strategy.
Every game has its flaws. This game just seems to have a lot because some people expected the impossible. I can't name any other game that has more fun modes than brawl. Overall the game is still great. The graphics are just insane.
Okay...

1. Roy, the original clone, isn't even in the game... And Ike is a completely new character. You can't make a valid point about the two characters not being clones if one is a complete newcomer.

2. I really think they could've done a better job with the "de-clonification". Last time I checked, Ganondorf fights with a sword >_>

Also, they could've at least gave Falco or Wolf more original Special Moves... Star Fox Assault weapons, anyone?

3. No, everything people said weren't impossible. Sakurai just didn't make it possible.

Boy, I'm really straight forward, today :(

tibar21

Quote from: QingXin on August 07, 2008, 02:13:39 PM
it wasn't rushed.
Okay...

1. Roy, the original clone, isn't even in the game... And Ike is a completely new character. You can't make a valid point about the two characters not being clones if one is a complete newcomer.

2. I really think they could've done a better job with the "de-clonification". Last time I checked, Ganondorf fights with a sword >_>

Also, they could've at least gave Falco or Wolf more original Special Moves... Star Fox Assault weapons, anyone?

3. No, everything people said weren't impossible. Sakurai just didn't make it possible.

Falco and Wolf's special moves are are similar to Fox but they are also different. I mentioned Ike and Marth because they could've very easily made Ike a clone to save time, but they did it the hard way and gave him his new orginal moveset.

Java

Quote from: tibar21 on August 07, 2008, 02:18:07 PM
Quote from: QingXin on August 07, 2008, 02:13:39 PM
it wasn't rushed.
Okay...

Falco and Wolf's special moves are are similar to Fox but they are also different. I mentioned Ike and Marth because they could've very easily made Ike a clone to save time, but they did it the hard way and gave him his new orginal moveset.
You're right. They're extremely different.

Fox's reflector is blue, Falco kicks his reflector, while Wolf's is pink. Some difference. :|
Hey look they all go really fast in one direction if you use their Side Special.
Oh and if you use their Up Special, they all pause for a second and charge upwards.
One more thing LANDMASTER!

Please, what happened to the originality that we got in Smash 64.

The game had twice the development time of Melee and they couldn't make up original movesets.
I could get if they had a few similar moves, like the Blaster, but not three rip-offs of one character.
We had people on OldSider that could create better movesets (TamJammerz for one) for most of the characters.

QingXin

Oh, ok... Falco just kicks his out there, and Wolf's is just Pink O_O
Also, Falco Phantasm, Fox Illusion, and Wolf Flash are very identical. Did I mention Fire Fox/Falco/Wolf?

How can you give a character (Ike) with a sword as big as Ragnell Marth's movelist?

tibar21

Quote from: QingXin on August 07, 2008, 03:05:22 PM
Also, Falco Phantasm, Fox Illusion, and Wolf Flash are very identical. Did I mention Fire Fox/Falco/Wolf?

How can you give a character (Ike) with a sword as big as Ragnell Marth's movelist?
falco can use his reflector to attack
wolf's seems more powerful
Falco phantasm and fox phantasm are pretty much the same but wolf's side B is completely different, it can go diagnally in the air. Fox's fire attack is more powerful and has longer range than falco's. Wolf doesn't even have a fire attack. You should know that ike can swing that big sword around really fas. look at hi down smash.

Java

Quote from: tibar21 on August 07, 2008, 03:31:10 PM
Quote from: QingXin on August 07, 2008, 03:05:22 PM

falco can use his reflector to attack
wolf's seems more powerful
Falco phantasm and fox phantasm are pretty much the same but wolf's side B is completely different, it can go diagnally in the air. Fox's fire attack is more powerful and has longer range than falco's. Wolf doesn't even have a fire attack. You should know that ike can swing that big sword around really fas. look at hi down smash.
You're missing the point.

They're all variations of the same move.