News:

<+Ice> i have a dildo factory line run by old women in my garage

Main Menu

MK Banned? Now featuring: Arguements about competitive play.

Started by Playat, November 06, 2008, 08:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should MK be banned from tournies?

Yes
8 (22.9%)
NO
27 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Dawei

Yoshi has a chaingrab on mk, if you are good at timing you can do a spike at the end (not that it works very good), and you get a free upsmash out of it which can kill him at like, 95% if it's fresh. He's still only 50-50 though since MK is too good. Not to mention no one uses Yoshi in tourneys since past that he sucks.

Playat

Quote from: Nayrman on November 07, 2008, 05:42:50 PM
Quote from: Cogs on November 07, 2008, 04:30:47 PM
Quote from: Ridley on November 06, 2008, 08:23:38 PM
No, get over it. MK is just a little broken. Nothing like characteres in melee.
Hahahahaha, no one in Melee was as dominant as Mk. At least Fox had bad/neutral matchups (with characters that are tournament viable. Don't give me that Yoshi s***, Dep).

Nayr, MK and Snake are about 55-45 in mk's favor. Snake destroys mk on the ground, but the milisecond snake is offstage he's done for. Just space your attacks well, get him off, and then up b him to his death at 30%. And no other "long range" character has anything on him. Marth? Space your attacks, get him off, gimp him with dair or whatever. Basically, MK is always the best choice. Period.

L9C, with mk not being banned, it won't be "MK/Snake/whoever" like you say. It'll be "mk/mk/mk". Why use someone else when he's always the best choice? Double blind picks, for example. You have no idea who the opponent will use. So you pick MK. Why? Because no matter who they use, you won't be at a disadvantage. You have a slight advantage in every case. Also, Marth was used more than Falco or Sheik, and Peach and Falcon were used a ton too. :P

DL, you are dumb. No one is as good as mk in Brawl. Don't give me that Ike or Pit bulls***, please.

Ridley, there is a time for banning. Akuma from SF2 is a good example. He's not just better than every character in the game. He's at LEAST 10x better than everyone. Some characters just completely destroy the metagame.

Qsmash, beating level 9 computers and other random scrubs who probably suck with MK, even with him being insanely easy to use, does not count.

And even after all of this, I'm not in favor of banning him. I'm completely neutral.
But Snake is the only character to genuinely have any sort of advantage over Metaknight.
I still want to know how Metaknight's attacks were made faster than Sonic's....
I guess we know why Sakurai didn't want to put DDD and Meta in Smash... it's obvious he played favorites with Meta (his reported favorite creation)

Its because Meta's sword, Galaxia, is a sword that can break the sound barrier (i think)

Mutilator7

Quote from: PLAYAT on November 07, 2008, 05:49:44 PM
Quote from: Nayrman on November 07, 2008, 05:42:50 PM
Quote from: Cogs on November 07, 2008, 04:30:47 PM
Quote from: Ridley on November 06, 2008, 08:23:38 PM
No, get over it. MK is just a little broken. Nothing like characteres in melee.
Hahahahaha, no one in Melee was as dominant as Mk. At least Fox had bad/neutral matchups (with characters that are tournament viable. Don't give me that Yoshi s***, Dep).

Nayr, MK and Snake are about 55-45 in mk's favor. Snake destroys mk on the ground, but the milisecond snake is offstage he's done for. Just space your attacks well, get him off, and then up b him to his death at 30%. And no other "long range" character has anything on him. Marth? Space your attacks, get him off, gimp him with dair or whatever. Basically, MK is always the best choice. Period.

L9C, with mk not being banned, it won't be "MK/Snake/whoever" like you say. It'll be "mk/mk/mk". Why use someone else when he's always the best choice? Double blind picks, for example. You have no idea who the opponent will use. So you pick MK. Why? Because no matter who they use, you won't be at a disadvantage. You have a slight advantage in every case. Also, Marth was used more than Falco or Sheik, and Peach and Falcon were used a ton too. :P

DL, you are dumb. No one is as good as mk in Brawl. Don't give me that Ike or Pit bulls***, please.

Ridley, there is a time for banning. Akuma from SF2 is a good example. He's not just better than every character in the game. He's at LEAST 10x better than everyone. Some characters just completely destroy the metagame.

Qsmash, beating level 9 computers and other random scrubs who probably suck with MK, even with him being insanely easy to use, does not count.

And even after all of this, I'm not in favor of banning him. I'm completely neutral.
But Snake is the only character to genuinely have any sort of advantage over Metaknight.
I still want to know how Metaknight's attacks were made faster than Sonic's....
I guess we know why Sakurai didn't want to put DDD and Meta in Smash... it's obvious he played favorites with Meta (his reported favorite creation)

Its because Meta's sword, Galaxia, is a sword that can break the sound barrier (i think)

Actually it can can "create tornadoes, waves of fire, and electric force fields", those don't break the sound barrier

Dawei

I think you guys are being dumb and thinking too hard. He was just made like that cause he was made like that. If we were being literal Mario couldn't use fireballs unless he was using the fire costume and other dumb things.

DededeCloneChris

Quote from: Dawei on November 07, 2008, 06:00:01 PM
I think you guys are being dumb and thinking too hard. He was just made like that cause he was made like that. If we were being literal Mario couldn't use fireballs unless he was using the fire costume and other dumb things.
No need to get angry either.

Anyway, I think it was easy to find Meta Knight broken, who knows, maybe all the characters are broken if you just keep searching for strategies.

.:DL:.

Quote from: Ridley on November 07, 2008, 04:00:26 PM
Quote from: darklink140 on November 07, 2008, 02:56:13 PM
He's not unbeatable at all.  There are many other characters who are way more broken than MK.  If you can't beat him, then just practice harder.  Exactly what Smash bro 25 mentioned.

Name one character more broken than him. :D Seriously, no matter how good he is, he shouldn't be banned.

Exactly.

And yes, I know no characters are as broken as him.  A mistake, Dawei.

Neerb

I think it ultimately depends on the player, not the character.  I mean, no matter how broken you guys say Metaknight is, I'm not gonna be winning any tournaments with him while I'm a mediocre player who mains with Pikachu.  :P

HTA!

*sigh*

I've looked at the posts and for the most part... few people have grasped the big picture.
This will basically not effect anyone here, its not like I'm going to go to people and tell them they can't use MK in our matches.
We aren't pro's... it doesn't matter.

HOWEVER, looking at it from a tourney perspective, MK is almost unfair.
Almost all his match ups (If I remember correctly) are better than 60-40 in MK's favor. He is simply too good to be used in tourneys where money is actually on the line, no one else stands a snowball's chance in hell against a well trained MK. So if the decision were up to me, I would say let the individual tourneys decide whether or not to ban MK; making the ban an option for the tourney runners to decide themselves.

Its more realistic than an all out ban in my opinion and that way people won;t whine (as previous posters here have  ::)) about how we need to learn how to beat MK or study his Meta Game more. Its happened to other fighting games, Brawl is not an exception.

Nayrman

Quote from: HTA on November 08, 2008, 07:55:38 AM
*sigh*

I've looked at the posts and for the most part... few people have grasped the big picture.
This will basically not effect anyone here, its not like I'm going to go to people and tell them they can't use MK in our matches.

Almost all his match ups (If I remember correctly) are better than 60-40 in MK's favor. He is simply too good to be used in tourneys where money is actually on the line, no one else stands a snowball's chance in hell against a well trained MK. So if the decision were up to me, I would say let the individual tourneys decide whether or not to ban MK; making the ban an option for the tourney runners to decide themselves.

Its more realistic than an all out ban in my opinion and that way people won;t whine (as previous posters here have  ::)) about how we need to learn how to beat MK or study his Meta Game more. Its happened to other fighting games, Brawl is not an exception.
I think Dawei said Snake is 55-45 Meta or something along those lines...
Basically Snake is the only one who can actually deal with Metaknight at least consistantly. As I've said before, Snake needs to be blatantly nerfed next game. B up cannot be a glide, attacks either need to be a poopload slower or a poopload less powerful for smashes...and so on.
But meh, it is the least balanced of all the smashes so far... X_X;;

HTA!

Quote from: Nayrman on November 08, 2008, 08:22:37 AM
*sigh*

I think Cogs said Snake is 55-45 Meta or something along those lines...
Basically Snake is the only one who can actually deal with Metaknight at least consistantly. As I've said before, Snake needs to be blatantly nerfed next game. B up cannot be a glide, attacks either need to be a s***load slower or a s***load less powerful for smashes...and so on.
55-45 is not consistent, its still a toss up...
Even then, you would need to have Dook level Snake skills (Basically beyond amazing) to even let that match-up work.
Only thing that needs to be lowered is tilt strength and Standard A strength really.

As for balanced, the top tier is horribly unbalanced, much worse than Melee.

MK and Snake are God and Demigod tier respectively (I know demigod tier doesn't exist :P), and characters like C. Falcon and Gdorf have no chance at all. Extremes on both ends.
In Melee, at least the top was shared rather evenly (Marth, Fox, Falco, C. Falcon, IC etc.) and all had a fairly even footing when it came to tourneys. Now, that is not the case. In Melee, you would even see a couple Mewtwo wins or Luigi wins... the only time a lower tier character would win in Brawl is if the other player was asleep. :(

Ridley

Quote from: HTA on November 08, 2008, 09:09:31 AM
*sigh*

Basically Snake is the only one who can actually deal with Metaknight at least consistantly. As I've said before, Snake needs to be blatantly nerfed next game. B up cannot be a glide, attacks either need to be a s***load slower or a s***load less powerful for smashes...and so on.
Even then, you would need to have Dook level Snake skills (Basically beyond amazing) to even let that match-up work.
Only thing that needs to be lowered is tilt strength and Standard A strength really.

MK and Snake are God and Demigod tier respectively (I know demigod tier doesn't exist :P), and characters like C. Falcon and Gdorf have no chance at all. Extremes on both ends.
In Melee, at least the top was shared rather evenly (Marth, Fox, Falco, C. Falcon, IC etc.) and all had a fairly even footing when it came to tourneys. Now, that is not the case. In Melee, you would even see a couple Mewtwo wins or Luigi wins... the only time a lower tier character would win in Brawl is if the other player was asleep. :(

All you said could be true but the people at the smash boards who actually play at those tournies for money don't want a ban either.
...Friend codes were probably implemented by the same people who wanted tripping in Brawl...
...It's quite obvious...

HTA!

Quote from: Ridley on November 08, 2008, 10:20:23 AM
*sigh*

All you said could be true but the people at the smash boards who actually play at those tournies for money don't want a ban either.
Do they use Meta-Knight?

Ridley

Quote from: HTA on November 08, 2008, 11:43:50 AM
*sigh*

Do they use Meta-Knight?

...I go to the Rob boards... So no, they use Rob.
...Friend codes were probably implemented by the same people who wanted tripping in Brawl...
...It's quite obvious...

HTA!

Quote from: Ridley on November 08, 2008, 12:22:48 PM
Quote from: HTA on November 08, 2008, 11:43:50 AM
*sigh*

Do they use Meta-Knight?

So... are you speaking for the Rob boards or for the entirety of Smash Boards... because I'm sure this notion to ban MK didn't come out of mid-air.

And if everyone opposed it, the matter would have been decided by now.

Red Alert

Quote from: Ridley on November 08, 2008, 12:22:48 PM

Overswarm (arguably the best ROB) is the biggest advocate for the banning of metaknight.