I Hate Metroid Prime 2

Started by ZGDK, January 05, 2008, 07:42:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VALOO

Quote from: Chain Chompesque on January 05, 2008, 10:53:42 AM
Quote from: VALOO on January 05, 2008, 10:45:59 AM
Quote from: Chain Chompesque on January 05, 2008, 10:37:52 AM
So, too, do I hate Trollers.

Backup? You said nothing about your horribly trollsome claim, just that you think it sucks. Why, I ask? And, please, nothing about how it "Wasn't true to the series" because Metroid Prime wasn't true to the series either, and of course THAT won eternal laud and glory.
Nah, Metroid Prime is the most Metroidy game other than the original and Super.  The first-person perspective means nothing since the atmosphere and gameplay is essentially exactly the same.

Prime 2 was a horrible game because it was repetitive, because the Dark World made the game frustratingly difficult, and just all in all because it failed in being a fun game.  The whole game felt like a chore to play because you always knew eventually you would have to go back to the Dark World and bubble-hop for hours while trying to find keys and fight ridiculously strong enemies.  It just wasn't fun.

In Prime you could get lost in the world with no worries other than how capable you were of defeating your enemies.  Prime 2 gave you way too much to worry about, I actually felt stressed while playing it.

So yeah, it sucked.

That's the POINT. I always felt you were supposed to feel stressed because it was such a dang ****ing atmospheric game. Really, all you have to do is go to a room like the Plain of Dark Worship and look at all the corruption. The ambient soundtrack also does it good. Besides, once you get the Super Missile, you can obliterate stuff easily. You can also freeze an enemy with a Dark Beam charge and then missile it for the OHKO--Even Dark Pirate Commandos.

I had no problem with the Light Crystals, because once you get the Dark Suit, you hardly have to worry about the atmosphere at all. Some of the enemies were extremely cool, like the Quad MB and the Aezbit. As for bosses...Quadraxis is all I need to say on the matter. I never thought it was a chore, and really the only complaints I have are things like the Boost Guardian, since it moves so quickly there's no way to dodge, and sections when bosses have very small amounts of time when you can hurt them. It made great use of items like the Spider Ball, since you could Boost Ball off of a track.
If you feel dread and just an overall feeling of not wanting to be where you are in a game, then you aren't really enjoying it.  It works in most cases to enhance the game, but not in Prime 2.  In Prime 2 it was just overdone to death.  You were always running from enemies down dark corridors while running out of all your ammo, all the while slowly running out of health because of the Dark World's air.  That's just too much to have to worry about in a game, IMO.

I respect that the creators were able to create an atmosphere like that but I definitely don't like it.

Games like BioShock and Prime 1 had just the right amount of fear and feeling like you were in charge of the game.  In Prime 2 you felt like you were at the command of the Dark World, not like you were in charge of your own life.

VALOO

Quote from: Chain Chompesque on January 05, 2008, 10:58:18 AM
Quote from: VALOO on January 05, 2008, 10:54:17 AM
Quote from: WiinolikePS3 on January 05, 2008, 10:38:42 AM
Quote from: VALOO on January 05, 2008, 10:34:15 AM
Quote from: Jono2 on January 05, 2008, 08:51:33 AM
Anyone who thinks that prime 1 is boring obviously doesn't play their games very long... :|

ahh well, I can't negotiate with non-glitchers. -_-
I play my games to, you know, play them. :|

Glitching is dumb and for prissy girly men and House!  ::)
That was creative.

What do you do, then, after you've beat the game and there's nothing to do afterwards?

Restart and play it again so you can do better?

If you've beat the game and there's nothing to do afterwards, get another game.  :robotveryhappy:

Tearing a game apart isn't that fun for me.

It is for me. I've beaten Pikmin 2 and Metroid Prime around twenty times, Metroid Prime 2 about six times, Metroid Prime 3 four times, Super Mario Sunshine near seven times...it goes on. Yeah, I like replay value.
I meant glitching, not replaying.

LinkXLR

I thought they were both great, they just had some down time.

That's me. :D ^

Also, join the Steam Nsider group for maximum fun.
Steam ID: KarthXLR

Jono2

Metroid Prime 2 was metroid Prime.5.  tons of the enemies were ripped straight from Metroid prime and given a color change.  it's not that it was frusturating, it's that it was boring.  The environments didn't make you want to explore them.  the whole atmostphere felt dingy, whereas in Metroid Prime, the planet felt alive, even if a bit disconnected.

After they saw what was done to Metroid Prime, they were like "okay, that isn't happening with this one.  lock down everything possible." and as such, the levels were nowhere near as interlinked (notice how all of the elevators are at the ends of paths, not in the middle of the worlds) and had much less spirit.  they put invisible walls to block off paths instead of programming in a real wall.  At one point, Retro even announced that people breaking the game would not be tolerated, as if someone playing your game over and over searching for new ways to beat it was a bad thing.

and as such, they paid the price.  MP2's sales were far fewer than Metroid Prime, and it ended up being an even glitchier game, even though the glitches were not nearly as fun to abuse.

90% of the game was ridiculously easy, the other 10% was boosty & Chykka (not that Chykka was terribly hard for me, but some people think so).

The key quest was stupid.  in Metroid Prime, you could collect nearly all the artifacts on the way through the game, and their hiding spots were cool and made you think.  the "hiding spots" in MP2 were either just sitting in the open, or you were told the room it was in.  Yeah, you were told the room it was in in prime as well, but the artifact hidden in the space pirate tower was better hidden than every single key in MP2.  they were all sitting out in the open.

beam ammo was also a factor, you felt that you needed to conserve it and save it for boss fights, so that's what you did, and it lead to some people thinking the game was hard, even though the power beam does almost as respectable job as the other beams, which was disappointing.

the beam combos were useless aside from the always great super missile & the sonic boom (because it went so fast).  the others were too slow/weak, and didn't justify the beam ammo used.

the story was lackluster, even in comparison to the first game.  you at least got lores in the first game, in this one, it was like "oh, we saw a meteor fall from the sky... our world split.  now we're all dead except for this one guy who is invincible, but is too lazy an ass to do anything about it".

screw attack wasn't implemented well, fixed in MP3.

gravity booster was a sad excuse for a % raise.

I could think of a couple more things, but I have to go study for chem. -_-

Quote from: LinkXLR on January 30, 2008, 09:10:54 PM
Quote from: famy on January 30, 2008, 08:36:30 PM
is big willy unleashed a will smith game

...I'm not even gonna touch this one.

SteamID: Lazylen

The Seventh

Quote from: Jono2 on January 05, 2008, 01:30:12 PM
Metroid Prime 2 was metroid Prime.5.  tons of the enemies were ripped straight from Metroid prime and given a color change.  it's not that it was frusturating, it's that it was boring.  The environments didn't make you want to explore them.  the whole atmostphere felt dingy, whereas in Metroid Prime, the planet felt alive, even if a bit disconnected.

After they saw what was done to Metroid Prime, they were like "okay, that isn't happening with this one.  lock down everything possible." and as such, the levels were nowhere near as interlinked (notice how all of the elevators are at the ends of paths, not in the middle of the worlds) and had much less spirit.  they put invisible walls to block off paths instead of programming in a real wall.  At one point, Retro even announced that people breaking the game would not be tolerated, as if someone playing your game over and over searching for new ways to beat it was a bad thing.

and as such, they paid the price.  MP2's sales were far fewer than Metroid Prime, and it ended up being an even glitchier game, even though the glitches were not nearly as fun to abuse.

90% of the game was ridiculously easy, the other 10% was boosty & Chykka (not that Chykka was terribly hard for me, but some people think so).

The key quest was stupid.  in Metroid Prime, you could collect nearly all the artifacts on the way through the game, and their hiding spots were cool and made you think.  the "hiding spots" in MP2 were either just sitting in the open, or you were told the room it was in.  Yeah, you were told the room it was in in prime as well, but the artifact hidden in the space pirate tower was better hidden than every single key in MP2.  they were all sitting out in the open.

beam ammo was also a factor, you felt that you needed to conserve it and save it for boss fights, so that's what you did, and it lead to some people thinking the game was hard, even though the power beam does almost as respectable job as the other beams, which was disappointing.

the beam combos were useless aside from the always great super missile & the sonic boom (because it went so fast).  the others were too slow/weak, and didn't justify the beam ammo used.

the story was lackluster, even in comparison to the first game.  you at least got lores in the first game, in this one, it was like "oh, we saw a meteor fall from the sky... our world split.  now we're all dead except for this one guy who is invincible, but is too lazy an ass to do anything about it".

screw attack wasn't implemented well, fixed in MP3.

gravity booster was a sad excuse for a % raise.

I could think of a couple more things, but I have to go study for chem. -_-
Gravity booster wasn't a sad excuse for a percent raise.  It saved me a lot of frusturation when navigating watery areas.
Yeah, screw attack wasn't very well implemented exploration wise, but I have found many uses for it so that I can get around faster, and even used it to dodge the final bosses attacks (not the one you face on escaping...).
There WERE lores.  Hello, Luminoth Lore projectors, GF Trooper scans, Space Pirate Logs!  Anyone?
I found the darkburst useful for the Chykka, and Sunburst useful for Quadraxis.
And if they thought the game was easy, there's always hard mode.  Try hard for a challenge.
I never found Prime 2 glitchy...
I don't remember them putting up invisible walls right in the open...
Also, many of the elevators in Prime 1 were at the edge of the area.  Both Prime 1's and 2's elevators had spirit IMO.
Prime 2 had really good atmosphere IMO.  In the ruined GF trooper underground area was creepy, as was the dark troopers.  Torvus Bog felt very alive.
And they didn't take Prime 1's enemies and give them a recolor.

You really are being overly critical and are OVEREXXAGURATING A LOT.
meh

Jono2

overexaggerating*

yes it was an excuse for a % raise.  there was one small water area in the entire game, and it didn't even have a dark water counterpart.  they could have easily just put in a gravity suit feature to the dark suit.

the screw attack was poorly implemented, and it is what caused most of the glitches.  try screw attacking into a morph ball hole and see what happens.  also, you can almost OHKO the last boss with it.  it's broken.

I noted that there were lores, but the story was uninteresting.

Yes, they're useful, but only if you go out of your way to pick up the ammo expansions needed to be able to use the beams, which is implausible in a speed situation.

hard wasn't hard.  22% metroid prime is hard.  23% prime is hard, and that isn't even skipping anything that important, it's the boss, level, & enemy design.  9% MZM is hard (kinda).  low% hyper mode MP3 is hard (hyper mode in a normal playthrough is easy).  MP2 hard mode is not.

again, you aren't a glitcher.  if you're looking for glitches, you find them everywhere.  on top of slopes, namely, and you don't find nearly as many standable objects just sitting around the room as you did in prime.  that's why it felt like a more complete world, because a normal civilization doesn't shave their walls to make nobody can stand on them.

there were very, very few if any walk-through elevators in prime 2.  here's my point:

Prime: All of magmoor caverns was dedicated to transportation.  this was the central hub.  you could get lost here in a straight line if you didn't know where you were going.  Tallon's ability to climb the crashed frigate lead you to a central elevator hub in the ruins.  the elevator right after thardus leads back to the caverns, interlinking the areas.  IIRC there's also one in the pirate base.  Also, Great Tree Hall.

MP2:  all were at the edges of the maps with the exception of the sky temple, which doesn't count.

There were many more "hub" rooms in prime 1 than prime 2, where you had multiple paths to take, and oftentimes, you chose the wrong one.  there were only a handful in prime 3, and only a few more in prime 2.

but the elevators in prime 2 were infinitely more cool.

I was creeped out every time I entered the chozo ruins.  I quit playing the game for a while because I was so terrified of the ghosts. :P

but for the GF trooper area?  you never had to go back there.  it was right at the start of the game and you didn't NEED to go back to the graveyard if you didn't want to.  you had to go back to the chozo ruins.

Phendrana drifts is the best metroid atmosphere in any metroid game.  you can't argue agains that.

the pirate base felt like their real HQ.  the pirate HQ in MP2 was nothing but a couple rooms.  the one in MP3 kicked MP1's ass though.

Magmoor, hub level.  even so, I loved it.

I hate deserts, and the bog just grossed me out (I have a fear of parasites).  deserts are boring to animate, since they're lifeless and bland.

sancutary fortress was awesome though, too bad it was so late in the game.  The hub level of MP2 (sanctuary grounds or w/e) was confusing, and most of the rooms looked generally the same.

Enemies recolored, but not changed:

Metroids (look what they did to them in MP3.  that's a change.  hunters & fissions as well.  darks are just what you'd expect.  no surprise there.

Most enemies' dark versions were just "dark this" or "___ ing".  they were the same as in the light but with a palette change and slightly stronger (on occassion).

Sheegoths, though the enemy did gain that stupid electric attack.

skreebats (another thing I didn't like about prime 3 is that they didn't change them from prime 1, even though they're a staple to the series)

zoomers (iirc)

Beetles

swarm enemies acted basically the same.

ingsmasher = omega pirate

Prime felt more real because there were standable walls.  you could jump around and get stopped by something jutting out of the wall.  a real civilization won't sand down the walls of their ancient ruins.  prime 2 had much less of this, prime 3 had almost none of it.

Prime felt more like the previous metroid titles.  they all have atmosphere.  they're all interlinked.  they all have a story without making you read.  They don't make you get useless items just to pass a wall (translator modules).  If MP2 was made in the 2d days, those translator doors wouldn't exist, and you would be blocked later on because you were lacking a vital piece of equipment.

beams & suits were expected.  hell, visors were expected (I guessed the echo visor to be in the game... 3 months prior to release?).  enemies were expected (because once you see them in the light, you see them in the dark) the controls were basically the same.  it was like Prime without the fun part; glitching.

Chain Chompesque

Quote from: Jono2 on January 05, 2008, 01:30:12 PM

Given a color change? A lot of them had completely new models (Shriekbats, for instance). Many of them were the same enemies, too. What, that's a bad thing now, all of a sudden? Oh, boo hoo, I still have to fight Space Pirates when I play Metroid. Oh, boo hoo, I still have to fight Goombas when I play Mario. Oh, boo hoo, I still have to fight Waddle Dees when I play Kirby. Oh, boo hoo, I still have to fight Tektites when I play Zelda. I also have no idea where you got the idea about the environments--Boring? What, a swamp lush with plant life and detail? A futuristic fortress LOADED with detail? (Seriously, look at most of the walls close up and you will find eerie amounts of detail that you wouldn't see otherwise.) A dark plain ravaged by storm and corruption?

QuoteAfter they saw what was done to Metroid Prime, they were like "okay, that isn't happening with this one.  lock down everything possible." and as such, the levels were nowhere near as interlinked (notice how all of the elevators are at the ends of paths, not in the middle of the worlds) and had much less spirit.  they put invisible walls to block off paths instead of programming in a real wall.  At one point, Retro even announced that people breaking the game would not be tolerated, as if someone playing your game over and over searching for new ways to beat it was a bad thing.

Is change such a bad thing? Really, they're easy to find, and they're just as interlinked. There are elevators to three different areas in the Agon Wastes and Temple Grounds, and I'm fairly certain there are in the Sanctuary Fortress and Torvus Bog as well. I can recall three elevators in Prime 1 that were not at the ends of corridors, Chozo Ruins, Phendrana Drifts and Magmoor Caverns. In the Phendrana Drifts and Magmoor Caverns, you can't go past them until you have the Spider Ball--Which is basically the same as blocking you off. That leaves you with just one elevator of that fashion. They needed invisible walls because you can't put a random wall in the middle of an open cliff. All Primes have had one way to beat them: You can't change that. You act as if there was some secret, underhand way of beating the first Prime.

Quoteand as such, they paid the price.  MP2's sales were far fewer than Metroid Prime, and it ended up being an even glitchier game, even though the glitches were not nearly as fun to abuse.

Glitchier? I've played it through six times, soon to be seven. Not one glitch. >_>

Quote90% of the game was ridiculously easy, the other 10% was boosty & Chykka (not that Chykka was terribly hard for me, but some people think so).

Then go play it on Hard Mode, whiner. It's there for more challenge.

QuoteThe key quest was stupid.  in Metroid Prime, you could collect nearly all the artifacts on the way through the game, and their hiding spots were cool and made you think.  the "hiding spots" in MP2 were either just sitting in the open, or you were told the room it was in.  Yeah, you were told the room it was in in prime as well, but the artifact hidden in the space pirate tower was better hidden than every single key in MP2.  they were all sitting out in the open.

It's not such a bad thing that you have to, gasp, actually take time to search for something on a fetch quest. It gives you time to get more expansions on your way. They also had to be sitting out in the open, (If "In an interdimensional rift" qualifies as out in the open) because the special Ing was carrying it. They were hardly out in the open when you have to go into a dark, poisoned bog or Spider/Boost Ball across platforms to get them anyway, eh?

Quotebeam ammo was also a factor, you felt that you needed to conserve it and save it for boss fights, so that's what you did, and it lead to some people thinking the game was hard, even though the power beam does almost as respectable job as the other beams, which was disappointing.

But you and I aren't those people, are we? I never felt once that I had to conserve it, because there was always an Ammo Station next to the three major bosses. I blasted the Light and Dark Beams off like crazy, using them on almost every enemy, and still had plenty of ammo to spare, thanks to the simple but ingenious system of getting ammo back. You could also never really run out, since you could charge to fire a normal shot when you were depleted.

Quotethe beam combos were useless aside from the always great super missile & the sonic boom (because it went so fast).  the others were too slow/weak, and didn't justify the beam ammo used.

They weren't really weak. The Darkburst could kill an Ingsmasher at close-to-full health, and the Sunburst did a hefty bit of damage as well. The point of them being slow is that you have to be skilled with them to use them correctly. I use them quite a bit. They're even fun to use. (Ever seen a bunch of wasps get sucked into a black hole?)

Quotethe story was lackluster, even in comparison to the first game.  you at least got lores in the first game, in this one, it was like "oh, we saw a meteor fall from the sky... our world split.  now we're all dead except for this one guy who is invincible, but is too lazy an ass to do anything about it".

So GF Logs, Space Pirate Logs, and Luminoth LORE don't qualify as lore? As for the story, there were many Luminoth that survived; U-Mos allowed them to save themselves and go into stasis tanks. He is not invincible, and is not too lazy to do anything about it. He doesn't possess the power to do so. In addition, the way you mutilate it, you could make any story sound bad.

Quotescrew attack wasn't implemented well, fixed in MP3.

I get the feeling you're just scrounging around for things to complain about now. Maybe it wasn't that great of an item--But it wasn't used a whole lot, and really wasn't that much of a pain.

Quotegravity booster was a sad excuse for a % raise.

Gravity Booster=Gravity Suit. It even has an extra boost function on it, but I don't see you whining about the Gravity Suit...
To be seen, stand up. To be heard, speak up. To be appreciated, shut up.
Also, you can't spell slaughter without laughter!

Join the Mushroom Kingdom wars!

Join the Pikmin wars!

Dumple Land! <-Click this one.
Labor! I said labor, dang it!
Time for transport!

Jono2

Quote from: Chain Chompesque on January 05, 2008, 08:54:08 PMYou act as if there was some secret, underhand way of beating the first Prime.

oh,

hohohoh

your whole argument fails just on that point.

metroid2002.com

come back after you've actually had fun with the games, mate.  ;)

I come from the side of gaming that takes games apart then puts them back together in a way that may be harder, looks better, is always faster, and well...

i can't find a place for stronger. :|

requires a stronger analytical sense?

yeah.  we're those underground groups that you look at on youtube and say "wow, that's incredible."  we're 20 minute mario 64.  we're an hour three minutes metroid prime.  we're 18 minute sonic the hedgehog.  We're 2:26 Ocarina of Time.

We're where TSA resided.

We are at SDA, and you won't find a place faster.

Chain Chompesque

Quote from: Jono2 on January 05, 2008, 09:02:06 PM
Quote from: Chain Chompesque on January 05, 2008, 08:54:08 PMYou act as if there was some secret, underhand way of beating the first Prime.

oh,

hohohoh

Genetic Fallacy. You have dismissed my entire argument because of where it came from/something unrelated. It's also a Red Herring, since you're dodging everything I'm saying.

Join the Pikmin wars!

Time for transport!

Jono2

Quote from: Chain Chompesque on January 05, 2008, 09:10:25 PM
Quote from: Jono2 on January 05, 2008, 09:02:06 PM

oh,

hohohoh

Genetic Fallacy. You have dismissed my entire argument because of where it came from/something unrelated. It's also a Red Herring, since you're dodging everything I'm saying.

you obviously didn't take the time to see my view of the subject, the view of speedrunners on the subject.  unnecessary items are frowned upon, and the gravity booster is one such item.

just look at the site, namely the metroid prime section.  I already argued against the same basic points a couple of posts ago, and though it wouldn't take me long to type up a response, I really don't feel like it at the moment.

for example, since you can skip the spider ball.  those "dead ends" you talk about are simply other routes that we choose to or not to take, simply because they're faster.  the spider ball is useless.  so is the gravity suit, grapple beam, all the beam combos, the charge beam... ahh, must I go on?

because the argument will only degrade to IT'S YOUR OWN OPINION, KEEP IT THAT WAY.

and since you haven't seen both sides of it, maybe you could stall getting to that point by looking at how hardcore metroid fans play the games?

By the way, your argument failed because you assumed that there wasn't some secret, underhand way of beating the first prime, because you are not informed of all of the ways it can be beaten.

Chain Chompesque

Quoteyou obviously didn't take the time to see my view of the subject, the view of speedrunners on the subject.  unnecessary items are frowned upon, and the gravity booster is one such item.

But then you own argument, right here...

Quotejust look at the site, namely the metroid prime section.  I already argued against the same basic points a couple of posts ago, and though it wouldn't take me long to type up a response, I really don't feel like it at the moment.

for example, since you can skip the spider ball.  those "dead ends" you talk about are simply other routes that we choose to or not to take, simply because they're faster.  the spider ball is useless.  so is the gravity suit, grapple beam, all the beam combos, the charge beam... ahh, must I go on?

...Defies itself. You're saying that they're frowned upon, yet you just listed loads of upgrades that aren't needed in the original, which you clearly support.

Quotebecause the argument will only degrade to IT'S YOUR OWN OPINION, KEEP IT THAT WAY.

But not all if it was. For example, you slapped the game for not having lores, when as a fact[/i] it does. That's not an opinion.

Quoteand since you haven't seen both sides of it, maybe you could stall getting to that point by looking at how hardcore metroid fans play the games?

Hardcore?  You don't need to try to beat the game while skimping on upgrades to be a "Hardcore" Metroid fan. If you're talking about a hardcore Metroid gamer, that's different--But I can be a hardcore fan without that. The only games I lack are Return of Samus and Metroid Prime Hunters, since the single player is supposed to be mediocre.

QuoteBy the way, your argument failed because you assumed that there wasn't some secret, underhand way of beating the first prime, because you are not informed of all of the ways it can be beaten.

That part of my argument did. On the contrary, you said that my entire argument failed.

Join the Pikmin wars!

Time for transport!

Jono2

I support the style of the game. they aren't needed in the original, but having to play the game through in that fashion without skipping anything isn't any fun, is it?  Plus, if the game was made without them, it would have sold so few copies.  I should've worded that properly.

Unnecessary items that you are forced to get are frowned upon.  you can't skip the gravity booster while still remaining within the game walls.  Translators, useless stuff like that.  when you're forced to take something, it's annoying.  it's saying "you don't have a choice but to make the game easier for yourself".  Easier isn't as fun.  I skip that energy tank in MP3, leaving myself with only one, not because it will make my life difficult, but that and it will be more fun playing through the game that way.

I didn't say it didn't have lores.  I said that the lores were boring in comparison.

yeah, the single player MPH is mediocre... I did contribute to the run of it though. I can't find RoS either. o_O

and it did all fail, because you based your argument on the assumption that there is only one path through each metroid game, that enemies like aren't skipped for time because after the first couple, they're boring to kill.  it's not fun to try jumps that are thought to be impossible.  it's fun when you succeed at making said jump.

Chain Chompesque

Quote from: Jono2 on January 05, 2008, 09:56:39 PM
I support the style of the game. they aren't needed in the original, but having to play the game through in that fashion without skipping anything isn't any fun, is it?  Plus, if the game was made without them, it would have sold so few copies.  I should've worded that properly.

There are ways of challenging yourself if you don't want to play it the same way. In Metroid, you can always go for low percent challenges. In the first two Primes, you could challenge yourself by never using Beam Combos on enemies, for instance. A no Dark/Thermal Visors challenge? Be creative. Personally, I'm content to play through the game the same way again.

QuoteUnnecessary items that you are forced to get are frowned upon.  you can't skip the gravity booster while still remaining within the game walls.  Translators, useless stuff like that.  when you're forced to take something, it's annoying.  it's saying "you don't have a choice but to make the game easier for yourself".  Easier isn't as fun.  I skip that energy tank in MP3, leaving myself with only one, not because it will make my life difficult, but that and it will be more fun playing through the game that way.

It's not always easier. It's an upgrade you need to progress, not always to ease gameplay. That's the style of Metroid. There are areas you can't access at first, but once you get a certain upgrade, you can come back and get through there. Sure, some upgrades are there mostly just for combat. But, like I said above, you can choose not to use them, even if you still have to get them.

QuoteI didn't say it didn't have lores.  I said that the lores were boring in comparison.

Direct quote from you: "you at least got lores in the first game". In the context of complaining about Metroid Prime 2, you are denoting that it does not have lores.

Quoteyeah, the single player MPH is mediocre... I did contribute to the run of it though. I can't find RoS either. o_O

I just read too many poor reviews on it to get it...for me, Metroid is a single-player game, and a Metroid based on Wi-Fi wasn't really something I wanted to spend my money on...oh well, maybe I'll get it if I can buy it for cheap.

Quoteand it did all fail, because you based your argument on the assumption that there is only one path through each metroid game, that enemies like aren't skipped for time because after the first couple, they're boring to kill.  it's not fun to try jumps that are thought to be impossible.  it's fun when you succeed at making said jump.

No, my entire argument was not based upon that point. I don't see where you made that connection. Your argument was fairly diverse and unrelated. I responded to each part of it, and as a result, mine was diverse and unrelated. For example, you complained that the Gravity Booster was a useless percent raise. How is that related to the fact that you can beat the first Metroid Prime while skipping some upgrades? You also complained about things like enemy rehashes; again, not at all related. The story? Still unrelated. That was a very small part of my argument, and you used a Part-to-Whole fallacy to blow it up as if it was my entire argument.

Join the Pikmin wars!

Time for transport!

Jono2

In plenty of cases, getting an item then just not using it is impossible.  you need said item to get out of the room that you got it in.  Why get the thermal visor if you're not going to use it?  that's why you skip it, because:

1. there's the temptation to use it when you'd normally need it.
2. You get a rush from pushing the game beyond what the developers intended it to be.  at least I do.

The beam combos in the primes weren't all that useful, save for the Super Missiles & Ice spreader.  the wavebuster was too much of a hastle to get for what it was worth, and though it was really powerful, the amount of missiles was better used for the ice spreader.  Though I never collect the super missiles anymore (going through the labs there is just a waste of my time), they were useful in destroying quite a few bosses (like Thardus, which you also don't have to fight).  But, you were given the option of using them.

Now, in prime 2, the beam combos weren't useful after you got the annihilator & sonic boom.  the lightburst was way too slow, and nearly never hit unless you were just a foot away, and even so, if the enemy was fast (dark samus), chances are you weren't going to hit anyways.  Ammo was simply better used on normal charged shots, and you were given no inscentive to do otherwise, because the game wasn't any easier or harder with or without the combos (again, with the exception of super missiles).  Sonic boom was only really useful because it hit instantly.

The emerald translator didn't do anything.  all it did was open up new areas.  it impeded progress until it was grabbed.

that is not metroid.  Metroid has classically had you getting lost somewhere, never really telling you where to go.  If you got yourself somewhere?  Too bad.  get yourself out, or try to procede.  Prime 2 started the "Put up walls so they can't advance" part of Metroid that it has now entered into (hyper grapple & grapple charge were MP3's versions of this).  The developers could have just put an impassible ledge that you couldn't go past instead of just saying "You can't go here until this is done!".

w/e.  I didn't mean to say that, i meant to say that the lores were boring in comparison. :P

The Wi-Fi on MPH was broken and hacked very, very fast.  Because of the nature of the series, glitches were found everywhere very quickly, and abused as such, which is a reason that Metroid remains a single-player series.

You wrote it with that mindset, and that's all that really matters.  If you don't know the whole story, you can't write an essay, because it will likely have vital parts missing.  If you know the cliffs notes, yes, you can get through the essay, but unless you've actually read the book, you miss the small details in the text.  Enemies that you've fought over and over tend to get boring.

How is the gravity booster being a useless % raise relevant to being able to skip items in prime?

you weren't forced upon useless upgrades in prime.

Cecil_and_Kain

I think you guys are over-analyzing what makes these games fun....