News:

UH SOMETHING BROKE HANG ON

Main Menu

I Hate Metroid Prime 2

Started by ZGDK, January 05, 2008, 07:42:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allegretto

Well number 2 to me is the hardest most complex metroid game, just play it alot it might grow on you =/

avengah

For what it's worth, here's my opinion. I've read the heated discussion in this topic and I felt I had to reply.

I have got both Metroid Prime 1 and 2, and some of the other Metroid games too. I have been through both Primes at least 6 or 7 times each, and I don't get bored of playing the game "the way it was intended" (for want of a better phrase). I consider myself a hardcore Metroid fan, I visit M2K2 on a regular basis, BUT (and this is a big but) I have NO desire to either Sequence Break it or Speed Run it. I am too much of a "completist" and I have to scan absolutely everything, every time, and take my time doing it so I can be sure I've got absolutely everything. If I miss even one minor non-log book scan, it annoys me.

What I'm trying to say is that there are many different types of Metroid fans, and some are quite happy playing the game the way it's meant to be played, and then next time, playing it the same way again. Personally, I wouldn't sell either game, and I love them both. I love the Dark World, and the way the worlds link, and because of that, MP2 has the slight edge in my opinion.

"Hardcore Metroid fan" does not equal "sequence breaker / speed runner". Playing the game the same way again and again does not have to be boring. There are many people like me, who love the games and have NO desire to try and "break" the game.

EDIT: Also, the beam ammo system is required. The beams are too powerful for you to be given unlimited use of them - the Light Beam is devastating agains the Ing, and the Dark Beam is great with the freeze + missile trick. Face it, if you had unlimited use of the Light Beam in Dark Aether, it would be too easy. There needs to be a limit to the number of easy kills you can get.

HOWEVER, as long as you get the Beam Ammo expansions as they become available, you should never really have too much trouble with ammo. I never used to use the beams much at first, but now I use them all the time. The time saved by killing enemies with the Light and Dark beams is greater than the time spent shooting crates with the opposite beam to refill, so it works out nicely.

And don't bother shooting darklings with the Dark Beam. Shoot crates instead to refill. And you always get what you need when you're low - if you have no Light Ammo, for example, shooting crates with even the Power Beam can yield 30+ Light Ammo, and if you've got no missiles, you'll regularly find a Double-stacked Missile refill (10 missiles) in a crate. In reply to the person who said you get what you need in MP1, I think this is more so in MP2 for this exact reason.

Cheers,

Matt

Silverhawk79

My problem with MP2 is that once you stop playing for a long time, and you pick it up again...you have no idea what to do.
Same with MP1, actually.

Gwen Khan

Quote from: Silverhawk79 on February 06, 2008, 06:07:30 AM
My problem with MP2 is that once you stop playing for a long time, and you pick it up again...you have no idea what to do.
Same with MP1, actually.

thats really true of many games, RPGs mostly

avengah

And to the person who said Ingsmasher = Omega Pirate, that is incorrect. Ingsmasher = Elite Pirate, but with a dark / light shield. I think Dark Ingsmasher = Phazon Elite. However, there are many unique enemies, too. Just because Splinter = Beetle, Green Kralee = Zoomer doesn't mean that ALL enemies are reused. There are some very novel additions in MP2.

EDIT: And if I put the game down for a while, when I pick it up again I always start a new file. There's no point continuing half-way through if you can't remember the first half. Start again!

Cheers,

Matt

Quote from: Silverhawk79 on February 06, 2008, 06:07:30 AM
Same with MP1, actually.
Yeah I know. I quit at the part where you have to find all those keys, and then when I tried playing it again I had no idea where I had to go where anything was anymore.
...̅̅̅