News:

ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL.

Main Menu

Mario RPG's

Started by Thirdkoopa, December 20, 2009, 12:10:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thirdkoopa

If I was to pick partner's myself and only new ones, personally I'd go with something like:
-Bomb Boo (Super Mario Galaxy)
-Rex (Super Mario World)
-Blooper (Super Mario Sunshine)
-Kremling (Hey, Bumpties appear in Paper Mario yet don't in other mario games...Unless If you want to count SMW2)
-Monty Mole (Super Mario World)
-Bumpty (Yoshi's Island. See: My avatar)
-Snifit (Super Mario Bros. 2)
-Dry Bones (Super Mario Bros. 3)

Pretty good mix of old and new there.

Personally; I'd only really like having a Bumpty and Bomb Boo, and sorta a Snifit/Kremling. The other's are just ideas that I personally think would be cool. I wouldn't keep any hopes high considering TTYD Only added two new species to the set (Mouser; Ms.Mowz and the generic yoshi)
[21:11] <mackormoses> let's take a look at today's stats
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> stats today are high
[21:11] <mackormoses> holy intercourse ing poop
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> you adding all these standards
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> is really pushing us [/quote]
Quote from: JrDude φ on May 31, 2010, 08:32:13 PM
3 of my friends smoke weed. Why? Well I asked one time, and this is what they said: "Because I can blow out smoke and it makes me feel like a intercourse ing dragon"

JrDude

They also added a random fat wind spirit and a living shadow.

I also think it would be cool to add one of those upright mousers that throw bombs rather than a bob-omb maybe (though bob-ombs are cooler, it would be kinda creative)

I also think it would be cool if they brought someone we already know back from the past and make him a partner, IDK who, but when I thought of this, Prince Peasley came to mind.
[move][/move]
Dude .

Thirdkoopa

Quote from: JrDude ½ on December 22, 2009, 12:48:31 AM
They also added a random fat wind spirit and a living shadow.

I also think it would be cool to add one of those upright mousers that throw bombs rather than a bob-omb maybe (though bob-ombs are cooler, it would be kinda creative)

I also think it would be cool if they brought someone we already know back from the past and make him a partner, IDK who, but when I thought of this, Prince Peasley came to mind.
Personally, I'm starting to wonder what happened to that Paper Mario DS Rumor; There was something running around a while ago saying we'd get a remake on the DS Of the original Paper Mario. I'm trying to find info on that for this thread. Wind/Shadow: Those were created from scratch, like Watt in the first one, and Geno/Mallow in Super Mario RPG.

Could work, but I'd just rather opt for having a Bomb-Boo. Then again, Bomb-Boo could just disappear. Mouser is an ignored enemy, and only a smaller Mouser has been done before. Throwing enemies is a plus. Could sometimes get a "Lucky" And throw out special ones.

You mean someone from the Previous Mario RPG's who wasn't a partner? Only ideas that come into my head that make any sense are: Croco (Super Mario RPG), Pennington (PM:TTYD), Doopliss (PM:TTYD; Given the ending and whatnot), and Prince Peasley (Superstar Saga)

Given that, I'd probably want Croco the most. I don't know why but when I think "Galaxy Themed" And "Previous Mario RPG Character" I think Croco. You could head back to Yoshi's Island in one chapter, face off against him a few times, and then agree to join forces over having the same goal. As long as there's only one and it doesn't turn into another SPM, I'm quite liking the idea.
3 of my friends smoke weed. Why? Well I asked one time, and this is what they said: "Because I can blow out smoke and it makes me feel like a intercourse ing dragon"

Red

Quote from: Third K on December 21, 2009, 09:30:08 AM
Wait wait wait
TTYD Being your least favorite? wat? D;
I haven't played very many out of the Mario RPGs. I've only played the ones I listed, so yeah. It is an outstanding game, but I dunno. It didn't have the charm the others did, IMO.

JrDude

Quote from: Third K on December 22, 2009, 08:31:51 AM
You mean someone from the Previous Mario RPG's who wasn't a partner? Only ideas that come into my head that make any sense are: Croco (Super Mario RPG), Pennington (PM:TTYD), Doopliss (PM:TTYD; Given the ending and whatnot), and Prince Peasley (Superstar Saga)
Not necessarily, I mean someone from any old Mario game, though the only ones with roles that I can think of that would work are from RPG games.
[move][/move]
Dude .

Mystic

I'd love to see those red snake things from SMB2 as a partner.

Thirdkoopa

Quote from: JrDude ½ on December 22, 2009, 07:14:31 PM
Not necessarily, I mean someone from any old Mario game, though the only ones with roles that I can think of that would work are from RPG games.
Well:
SNES Era - Koopalings are the only one that comes into mind, and that makes little sense even If executed right. "HI GUYS I'M IGGY I WANNA BE A REBEL CN I JOIN U NOW?"
Sunshine - Uh, Pissnato? Forgot how to spell it.
Galaxy - Yeah; Rosalina's better off as an NPC.

And the other Mario Spin-offs don't have a great pool either. I think If we're to have a past partner who's had some character development, it should be from the Mario RPG's.

Quote from: Mystic on December 23, 2009, 07:54:50 AM
I'd love to see those red snake things from SMB2 as a partner.
You mean the Cobrat?
Have to say I'd agree on it being a cool partner. If they're adding a lot of new species next time, we need one from SMB2. The game just has such an obscure pool of partners to pick from.

Mystic

Yeah, Cobrat. That'd be badass.

Thirdkoopa

Quote from: Mystic on December 23, 2009, 09:02:00 AM
Yeah, Cobrat. That'd be badass.
Yeah. As a huge Paper Mario fan, I'm starting to think this is the best idea for a pool of eight partners:
-Goomba (You know this will probably happen)
-Koopa (^^)
-SMB2 Partner (Shy Guy, Snifit, Ninji, Cobrat, etc)
-Something from newer games (Bomb Boo?)
-Yoshi's Island Partner (Bumpty?)
-Donkey Kong Country or w/e Partner (Kremling?)
-? - Slot up for grabs. Could potentially be a new sprite or a character from the past
-^^

And I'm trying to find more info on the Paper Mario DS Remake; Seems it was just a rumor. I was suspecting that since we already have the original on the VC.

JrDude

Those would also make good enemies, though there'd probably be many new types of them, or maybe just 1, like Dark Cobrat, or something like that.

What I was thinking for a Koopa replacement, was a different colored Boomerang Bro, 'cause it makes sense, he throws a boomerang, and it comes back with the item or hits a switch, and it would make as much sense to make it just hover there as a Koopa shell can (you know, partner action button, hold, Koops stays stuck in 1 spot).
I also though maybe a Toad can take the place of Goomba, though I don't exactly know how he would attack and junk.

Another thing I'd like to see in a Paper Mario game is power ups, like Fire Mario, and maybe the new Propeler Mario (To hit high blocks and high places, instead of needing new boots, you need to find the power up then fly up there [then it disappears maybe], this would lead to some more creative levels instead of making the last levels "coincidentally" the only levels that have high jumping things)
Yet another thing I'd like to see is Partner + Mario attacks, (using an old partners as an example) like maybe Kooper goes in his shell and Mario kicks it at the enemy with a button, hits the enemy, then it comes back and you have to hit the same button again and again, each time Kooper gets faster, and he only goes back & fourth a limited amount of times (more times available upon leveling him up with the shine sprites or whatever), kinda like Bro attacks.
[move][/move]
Dude .

Thirdkoopa

Quote from: JrDude ½ on December 23, 2009, 10:20:34 PM
Stuff
I hate quote trees so I'll just respond to each idea
1)Yeah; I'm sure they'll throw in "Dark Cobrat" If the Cobrat species is used. PM Games have a tenancy to reuse sprites and just edit them a bit.

2)Koopa and Goomba replacement? I think the originals of those already fill in well, but for some reason I do see toad headbonking so I guess it could work. I just don't see how Boomerang Bro would work as well considering Kooper/Koops's disadvantage is suppose to be lack of hitting air enemies in battle. Or maybe we could just throw in Dry Bones as a Koopa replacement.

3)My idea for it was having suits replace the "Curses" Or maybe just as an item that works only on field to get certain things.

3.5) Coincidence - Yeah; While PM:TTYD Had reasons to go back to places, I'd love more reasons to revisit old places in the next PM Game. Make secret sidequests have secret parts that you've never been able to open before? Could lead to some cool optional bosses.

4)"Partner + Mario attacks" If executed right then yes, like having FP And only being able to do it once per turn. The problem with the M&L Games was that I felt it was pretty much most of what I was doing the entire battle. I'd like to see more ideas stretched around with this.

Speaking of M&L, Steal the room in M&L3/Bowser's Inside Story where you can face a stronger version of any boss you've faced before.

Gwen Khan

Quote from: Third K on December 23, 2009, 11:17:58 PM
I hate quote trees so I'll just respond to each idea
1)Yeah; I'm sure they'll throw in "Dark Cobrat" If the Cobrat species is used. PM Games have a tenancy to reuse sprites and just edit them a bit.

it's not just PM games that do that, every RPG does that

Thirdkoopa

Quote from: Gwen Khan on December 24, 2009, 07:50:02 AM
it's not just PM games that do that, every RPG does that
Well yeah. Mario RPG's just do it with almost say, every enemy.

Got M&L3 a few hours ago. Almost done with my PiT Re-run, and I must say; This game really lacked in character and in puzzles/exploring, but it rocked in Combat.

FruitFlow

SS Saga all the way.
I love the bro combo attacks.
"Many people see technology as the problem behind the so-called digital divide. Others see it as the solution. Technology is neither. It must operate in conjunction with business, economic, political and social system."

Thirdkoopa

Just beat BiS A few days ago. Well hell, I'm debating between Saga's, Paper Mario (Original, of course), And Bowser's Inside Story placement. I think It'd go like:
TTYD > SMRPG > BiS > Paper Mario (Or opposite way around on that and BiS) > Superstar Saga > Partners in Time > SPM

So I really don't know. Anyways, hate/like list and summary:
Like:
-Challenge Node! Please keep this and make it better for future Mario RPG's, both Paper Mario and M&L.
-Bowser > Baby Bros in a sense of ways.
-New Badge System
-Beans - They actually have a good use like those flowers in SMRPG.
-Soundtrack is pretty neat still; Not the greatest of Mario RPG's, but It's pretty neat.

Hates:
-Minigames - Oversaturation of this - They're no fun either. M&L1-2 had a few of these but they weren't the main part in I dunno, half the content?
-It's side scrolling in Bowser's stomach, the intercourse ?
-Most of the supporting cast sucks. I won't spoil to much Starlow is a horrible introduction character compared to all the others, Fawful just pales out, Midbus unimpressed mme, More dark variations of characters? Yeah, because we know how well THAT Exexcuted
-You want Bowser and M&L To level up? Nope. You have to level them seperately!

Overall, the game is better in combat than the previous two; However the plot is pretty lackluster along with supporting characters. If you have a DS, this is a must buy unless you don't like the M&L/Mario RPG's, since It's still pretty highly.