News:

<+Clu> have you tried barbecuing the computer

Main Menu

Snake and how to counter him

Started by Zero, April 22, 2010, 05:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero

This is more of a rundown of how Snake fits into the metagame, and what you can do about it.

So, some friends and I recently went to MLG Orlando to play Brawl and Halo 3. We ended up just playing Brawl and I made it to the second round, where I was then Snake'd beyond imagination. This guy was only a fraction of Ally's skill, so obviously I need some work, as I'm a melee player and the transition to brawl isn't as great as I'd hope it'd be. 2 years and tons of tournament wins, and I still can't do much at the big leagues.

Unfortunately there are no straight up methods to countering snake other than keeping him in the air and praying that your moves have priority all while making sure you dodge his laggy aerials(except for his uair and bair, which aren't all that laggy). Which is why the only characters that can actually dent a pro Snake player are MK, DDD, Olimar, and ZSS/DK(and that's if you're really intercourse ing good).

Snake is OP as freaking hell(no MK comments, we all know how amazing he is and it goes without saying). He is a superheavyweight, has above average speed, all his moves have way above average knockback for not being smash attacks, he is one of the few characters that can DACUS to his advantage, he has more than enough projectiles especially when you include his taunt, he has a spike that is really easy to land, he can grab release and combo effectively, his neutral A combo has amazing priority and knockback, and his ftilt has amazing reach, priority, damage, speed, and knockback. It can be debateable as to if this move is the most overpowered move in the game, except for the fact that should the Snake player screw up and miss, you have a few frames to counter the hell out him with a chain grab or a smash attack. When fighting a Snake, you need to exploit every last screw up the Snake makes otherwise you're going to get poop on.

I'm bringing this up, because there is a lot of debate going on as to whether or not MK is going to remain in his own tier or not. Many Snake players are appearing and making it blatantly obvious how OP he can be. Spam-nades and when they get close use a tilt? Yeah, cheap strategy but it works even in the big leagues. It's what I primarily saw at MLG, and it looks like Snake's usage rating is skyrocketing.

I implied earlier that it was possible to "counter" Snake's OPness and I was lying to a degree. If you're using DDD, chain grab the hell out of him, olimar? Same but make sure you dtilt. DK and ZSS are just great at intercourse ing with the Snake player, incapacitating him so he can't use his crap. DK can take out most of any shield with a well placed charged punch, and his utilt is great for juggling snake. I won't go in depth, but basically these characters CAN compete with Snake if used correctly. MK if used right can poop all over Snake....but Snake players usually have lots of luck on their side. Watch matches where Ally beats Mew2king, some of them are based on a c4 that just happened to blow up due to its time limit expiring. This is not to say Ally and Mew2king aren't equally skilled, but it just goes to show that Snake's definitely have lady luck on their side(actually...the utility snake has is just off the charts, luck doesn't have much to do with it, but you get what I mean.)

Discuss everything Snake related

Dawei

You went to MLG? Fucking sick. What was your tag?

But as for fighting snake, I don't have much to say. Even though I use him, I suck at any matchup against him besides Snake dittos. And in that case it's just who can blow the other person up better lol.

Zero

lol i wanted Zero but a buddy of mine convinced me to use Sinfull0666. I used Snake myself for most of the matches, but seeing as I wasn't prepared to face another Snake as Snake I decided to try to use MK and was royally intercourse ed.

I got my ass intercourse ing handed to me no joke. These guys play the game like every day, something I just can't do. Still, my ride there was free because I won all the play n trade tournaments in my county and got a free ticket there.

StarWindWizard7

I use snake, but I was better with him in the past then I am now. He is a main person of mine.

Every aspect/description you said about snake is 100% correct in every shape/way/form. It's really ridiculous how some characters are blatantly better then others in Some kind of way.
Snake ditto's are kind'a fun.

one thing I really like to do is take a grenade out and then shielding and rolling away, then taking the 2nd one and throwing it (or holding it then throwing it) then add that guiding missile thing...
I don't know, lol...it really depends on WHO I'm playing with..... and if I can get away with it all. :P