News:

Change is coming. HOPE CHANGE UNITY

Main Menu

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Started by Neerb, March 02, 2011, 09:39:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tupin

I thought Zelda II was bad, but then I went back and played it. It's different, but still pretty good. It would be cool to have another 8-bit Zelda in the style of the original, but they wanted to try something different. I'm surprised they haven't tried it again.

Console Zelda games always sell better in Western markets, for some reason.

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

Neerb

Zero

Quote from: zephilicious on December 07, 2011, 05:49:06 PM
four swords adventures is better regardless of whether or not four swords counts. but even going there means you know i'm right.

Nope

zephilicious

i still dont know why were defending skyward sword in this thread.

let me break it down for you:

good zelda:
link to the past, links awakening, ocarina, majoras mask, oracle of ages, wind waker, minish cap

average zelda:
original, oracle of seasons, four swords, four swords adventures, twilight princess

bad zelda:
adventure of link, phantom hourglass, spirit tracks, skyward sword

see? all the way down there.
~~ <3

Zero

Doodle

YEAH

Neerb

Quote from: Doodle on December 08, 2011, 05:04:15 AM
Why not? It's pretty much an upgraded Four Swords mixed with ALttP.

I think he's implying that SS is good, not that FSA is bad.

Zero

I liked FSA. I had friends that were into it, so it kicked a lot of ass.

Quote from: Delibird on December 08, 2011, 08:38:38 AM
I think he's implying that SS is good, not that FSA is bad.

Yeah more or less.

I'm not incredibly far into Skyward Sword but I've enjoyed every minute of it.

zephilicious

Quote from: Michio Kaku on December 08, 2011, 12:49:21 AM
What's so terrible about it?

terrible is the wrong word. its not a bad game. just a bad zelda considering the quality of the rest of the series.

theres no exploring, no sidequests, 6 similar dungeons with a couple of repeated bosses, a control scheme that gets in the way more than it helps, a boring story (though the implications on the rest of the timeline are fascinating), too much filler, etc. I could go on.
~~ <3

Zero

so the skyloft sidequests aren't sidequests? what?

zephilicious

youre kidding yourself if you think thats anywhere near the scale of previous games.

its what? 10 quests? none of which are more than find this item/talk to this person

~~ <3

Zero

Quote from: zephilicious on December 09, 2011, 12:36:26 AM
youre kidding yourself if you think thats anywhere near the scale of previous games.

its what? 10 quests? none of which are more than find this item/talk to this person

The "scale" of the previous games wasn't even that large to begin with. In some of the games the most you can do is collect hearts/expansion items.

A Link to the Past had the Tempered Sword.

Ocarina of Time had 3 side quests, two of which were broken up into smaller quests to give the illusion of content. The Skulltulas were a intercourse ing chore, but we all did it anyway. The Biggoron's Sword was cool and poop, was fun to get, but wasn't fun to use. The Happy Mask questline was short and boring who gives a intercourse .

Link's Awakening had the seashell quest to get the ultra sword. That's it.(iirc)

I can't even remember what Seasons/Ages had. Sword Upgrade and hearts?

WW's Labyrinth was alright, and the Pictobox sidequest was meh. Other than that, what else could you do in the game? Collect Pieces of Heart and Joy Pendents? Yeah pretty much just that.

TP had the same Labyrinth crap that WW did(sorta), you could collect hearts/bugs, and do that Poe quest. I can't remember anything else.

Majora's Mask is really the only game in the entire series that I'd consider to have a decent amount of content outside the main game. Masks, shrines, hearts, skulltulas, darn I want to play it again.

So yeah I don't really think the Skyloft quests are a lot of content compared to past Zelda extra content, but that's not even related to what I said. You said there weren't sidequests and there certainly are.

EDIT: Though there might not be as many "true" dungeons, from what I've played its like the areas you explore themselves are dungeons. Going through the desert I felt like I was in a dungeon, lol.

zephilicious

naturally my post was laced with hyperbole.

i listed exploration and sidequests side by side for a reason they go together and skyward sword has neither.

every other zelda has at least half a dozen optional items and upgrades (granted skyward sword has its own bullpoop upgrade system, but no exploration or sidequests are involved) in the best cases (wind waker and majoras mask in particular) the main quest only requires traversal of maybe half of the game world, leaving the rest open for exploration and sidequests and random collectibles and whatever else.

the issue with the dungeons is not the number (on par with wind waker and more than majoras mask) but the similarity. aside from the 2nd lanayru dungeon (the only good one in the game) the rest have the same puzzles, the same enemies, the same structure, and in 1 too many cases the same bosses.

treating the outside areas as semi-dungeons works against the balance and pacing of the game. it leaves an overworld devoid of optional exploration, and dungeons that just feel like more of the same rather than the intermittent challenges they should be.
~~ <3

Hero_of_Darkness

Fastest-selling Zelda ever in US, with biggest first-day number ever for a Zelda.

Wait, what?

The Riddler

Quote from: Hero_of_Darkness on December 09, 2011, 04:28:42 PM
Fastest-selling Zelda ever in US, with biggest first-day number ever for a Zelda.

Wait, what?
>anticipation