News:

<+Ice> i have a dildo factory line run by old women in my garage

Main Menu

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Started by Neerb, March 02, 2011, 09:39:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kayo

Quote from: zephilicious on December 17, 2011, 05:32:32 PM
as i explained several posts up, the motion plus could have been used to take over when the sensor bar is out of range, increasing reliability without removing the wii's existing and very intuitive input mechanism.
You sure you're not blowing it a little out of proportion? I'm sure it's not as big of a deal as you think.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Flying Chickens

Quote from: Pennington on December 17, 2011, 07:39:27 PM
You sure you're not blowing it a little out of proportion? I'm sure it's not as big of a deal as you think.
He's on a holy crusade against Skyward Sword right now. It's kinda funny.

Doodle

Quote from: zephilicious on December 17, 2011, 05:32:32 PM
as i explained several posts up, the motion plus could have been used to take over when the sensor bar is out of range, increasing reliability without removing the wii's existing and very intuitive input mechanism.
how would you even go from one to the other? I doubt you'd be able to get a seamless transition
the motion plus does the sensor's job better anyway.
YEAH

zephilicious

Quote from: Doodle on December 17, 2011, 11:07:34 PM
how would you even go from one to the other? I doubt you'd be able to get a seamless transition

it would be a simple matter of recording the position and speed of the controller relative to the sensor bar and using that to calibrate the motion plus positioning. as long as the sensor bar is visible initially (and it would be considering you have to point at the screen to start the game), and and is occasionally visible afterwards it would be completely seamless.

Quote from: Doodle on December 17, 2011, 11:07:34 PM
the motion plus does the sensor's job better anyway.

this is the point we're arguing, restating it does not constitute an argument.
~~ <3

Doodle

Quote from: zephilicious on December 18, 2011, 01:48:59 AM
it would be a simple matter of recording the position and speed of the controller relative to the sensor bar and using that to calibrate the motion plus positioning. as long as the sensor bar is visible initially (and it would be considering you have to point at the screen to start the game), and and is occasionally visible afterwards it would be completely seamless.

I doubt it'd be that simple, at least on a developer level. Plus all they'd be doing would be using the sensor bar to cover up a feature the motion plus makes use of
I think you just need to learn how to use it :U
YEAH

Kayo

Quote from: zephilicious on December 18, 2011, 01:48:59 AM

He's saying you can get a better result out of using the WMP than the sensor bar in that case, which is true.

tl;dr of this whole conversation: you're just doing it wrong and blaming the hardware for your failure
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

zephilicious

Quote from: Doodle on December 18, 2011, 09:22:20 AM
I doubt it'd be that simple, at least on a developer level. Plus all they'd be doing would be using the sensor bar to cover up a feature the motion plus makes use of
I think you just need to learn how to use it :U
it would be precisely that simple. compared to the complexity of developing an entire intercourse ing video game this is nothing.

and the motion plus is already covering up a feature that is integral to the design of the wii.
~~ <3

Zero

so zeph

why would nintendo not do this and WHY am i not having the same intercourse ing issues you are

zephilicious

because they thought it would be fun to do something completely different and because youre too much of a fanboy to look at the controls objectively.
~~ <3

Zero

Quote from: zephilicious on December 18, 2011, 06:18:26 PM
because they thought it would be fun to do something completely different and because youre too much of a fanboy to look at the controls objectively.

Woah now, I don't like Zelda THAT much.

I just don't have a stick up my ass. The controls are fun, and they work.

Neerb

Now that I actually have the game, I can throw in my two cents.

The characters are great. The art style is great. The environment is nice. The plot is cool. The orchestration is amazing (the part where Link follows Fi around at night for the first time was eerie). Most of the new mechanics, from collecting ingredients for forging items to a sprint button, are great. Skyloft is cool too; I really like the town, more so than any previous town in Zelda (though everyone having a quest like Clocktown would be good). I haven't gone through the sky too much yet, but frankly, I don't care; some of you haven't liked how linear the world is, but I don't mind so far.

Control-wise, I'm liking the game as well. The gyroscope works fine for menus, so I'm not desperately missing the IR, and the items work nicely too. The sword doesn't always work perfectly, unfortunately, but I can quickly get it back in line so that it isn't game-breaking, especially when I actually remember to fight with my shield.

The only problem I really have with the game so far, as Nayr said, is the fetching. I've only done two so far and I already don't like it. I mean, sure, exploring new areas as I do it is fun, but it gets fairly tiring when you get to the point where you're just running in circles. It also seems like Nintendo is REALLY REALLY proud of this "dowsing" mechanic and now they need to show me at every chance they get. It's like Miyamoto is Fi and he's popping out of my sword to yell "OH MY GOSH THERE'S A PUZZLE USE DOWSING." When I went into the first dungeon and Fi started panicking because I couldn't use dowsing anymore, I was just thinking "Geez, too bad I can't dowse anymore, I only have ten years of dungeon-solving behind me to help."

Another very small issue I have is how the dungeony overworld has gotten... TOO dungeony. I wanted to visit villages of various races, see some culture, walk through a forest, but instead everything is cliffs and plateaus and the only way I can talk to anyone is if I find them hanging out in a dungeon.

Over all, I love the game so far, and I wouldn't mind future games being like it... I just hope future games don't focus on fetch quests too much, and I'd like to see some smaller towns again.

Zero

I just want to point out that Zelda has never really had many "villages" or "towns" to explore. Kakariko, Kokiri(which was tiny as intercourse  and barely counts),Goron, and Hyrule Castle Town in OoT was probably the most we had. WW had the central island hub, the starting village, and the bird folk place(but counting this probably means you'd count the Zora Fountain).

You guys have mentioned both words a few times each and I think you're confusing Zelda with traditional JRPG's.

Neerb

Goron Villages, Zora Domains, Deku Palace, Kokiri Forest, Kakariko, the Rito's cave-post-office-tribe-thing; not all of them are towns in the rpg sense of stores and places to recover, but all of them are still towns. They're small, concentrated areas with a bunch of npcs living together that CLEARLY looks inhabited and generally is more of a cutscene-oriented place than a puzzle-oriented one. It's a purely aesthetic trait, as Skyward Sword is showing that we can have npcs in the field fairly easily, but I still wish we had these places, ESPECIALLY now that the field is practically a dungeon and a village would have offered a safe area of sorts. I feel like I'm always rushing in this new style of field, like I can't rest until I reach the dungeon... a village would certainly ease my mind, even if it doesn't actually add to gameplay.

Zero

We got Skyloft, but I see your point.

Still, in OoT at least, Goron and Zora domains were devoid of NPC's for the most part depending on what time you were in. Deku Palace in Majora's Mask was practically a mini-dungeon, do you remember what you had to do once you got there?

Kayo

Quote from: Michio Kaku on December 21, 2011, 03:42:39 PM
We got Skyloft, but I see your point.

Still, in OoT at least, Goron and Zora domains were devoid of NPC's for the most part depending on what time you were in. Deku Palace in Majora's Mask was practically a mini-dungeon, do you remember what you had to do once you got there?
All Deku Palace was was a little puzzle and a king to talk to. It was no more of a "town" than, say, Pirates' Fortress was.
[move][/move]