News:

Our thoughts go to Silver and his family in this difficult time.

Main Menu

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Started by Neerb, March 02, 2011, 09:39:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DededeCloneChris

Quote from: Delibird on December 29, 2011, 06:10:02 PM
Skyward Sword has as many dungeons as The Wind Waker; it just doesn't seem like it because for once you're actually doing stuff (a TON of stuff) outside of the dungeons as well, which is kinda awesome imo. Heck, that's the thing I love about Skyward Sword: you actually DO SOMETHING in the overworld. I don't want a boring hub with a bunch of dungeons attached, I want to feel like I'm actually going somewhere, and the action-filled forest, volcano, and desert did just that. Granted, sometimes it feels a bit overwhelming compared to the fields and towns of Twilight Princess or even Ocarina of Time, but I'd hardly say I miss going straight from dungeon to dungeon.
I agree.

This simple response is enough to voice my opinion. The overworld is awesome.

Hero_of_Darkness

Quote from: Nayrman on December 29, 2011, 02:33:18 PM
Still an utterly pointless fetch quest that requires you run around an overworld collecting things.

All I want is some dungeon crawling fun but the series just doesn't want me to anymore. X_X:;

Time for them to make NEW The Legend of Zelda?

DededeCloneChris

Quote from: Hero_of_Darkness on December 29, 2011, 07:04:22 PM
Time for them to make NEW The Legend of Zelda?
No, he cannot be pleased that easily! It's too easy.

Flying Chickens

Quote from: Delibird on December 29, 2011, 06:10:02 PM
Skyward Sword has as many dungeons as The Wind Waker; it just doesn't seem like it because for once you're actually doing stuff (a TON of stuff) outside of the dungeons as well, which is kinda awesome imo. Heck, that's the thing I love about Skyward Sword: you actually DO SOMETHING in the overworld. I don't want a boring hub with a bunch of dungeons attached, I want to feel like I'm actually going somewhere, and the action-filled forest, volcano, and desert did just that. Granted, sometimes it feels a bit overwhelming compared to the fields and towns of Twilight Princess or even Ocarina of Time, but I'd hardly say I miss going straight from dungeon to dungeon.
What I disliked about this is that once I did the entire overworld and got to a dungeon, by the time I finished the dungeon it felt incomplete and short compared to the overworld. It was a pretty cool mechanic, but usually I feel like I'm going to get a challenge when I get to a dungeon, not just relieved because I'm finally there.

Zero

Quote from: The Riddler on December 29, 2011, 01:47:05 PM
bug catching in SS sucks
bird catching sucks even more

jesus i hate this intercourse ing net

its so easy, lol

gotta be patient man

Neerb

Quote from: Michio Kaku on December 29, 2011, 08:05:12 PM
its so easy, lol

gotta be patient man

Birds always suck; bugs get easy.

Tumbleweeds are the worst, though; I freaking hate tumbleweeds. They spontaneously appear, usually when I'm fighting something, and they break if they touch anything, and you have to use a net, and it seems like EVERY OTHER THING needs them to be upgraded, the very idea of which is ridiculous. I have several ingrained connections to real-life things due to video games; if Skyward Sword has left a single lasting impression on me, left one "meme" that I will laugh to myself about for months to come, it's that I hate tumbleweeds.

Quote from: Ho Ho Hover Poultry on December 29, 2011, 07:26:06 PM
What I disliked about this is that once I did the entire overworld and got to a dungeon, by the time I finished the dungeon it felt incomplete and short compared to the overworld. It was a pretty cool mechanic, but usually I feel like I'm going to get a challenge when I get to a dungeon, not just relieved because I'm finally there.

I suppose the overworld does kind of undermine the dungeons; the whole game the dungeons felt more like a resting place than a big challenge. I didn't mind terribly, though, given how the dungeons were way more fun than frustrating this time around. Most dungeons are unnecessarily complex mazes, but these were streamlined and convenient and offered clever challenges instead of just trying to make the player forget where they are (not that I don't love many past dungeons).

Doodle

Quote from: Nayrman on December 29, 2011, 02:33:18 PM
Still an utterly pointless fetch quest that requires you run around an overworld collecting things.

All I want is some dungeon crawling fun but the series just doesn't want me to anymore. X_X:;
The intercourse ing Silent Realms were fetch quests? I'd slap the tadtones and other poop with that label, but the Silent Realms?
You make it out as if any part of the game not just taking you to the next dungeon is a terrible fetch quest. :U
YEAH

Ravioli

So

i need to convince my friend to buy this so I can bind and gag him then play it all day on his Wii

He's apprehensive because he believes it looks "kinda sucky". I don't really want to kill him because he gives me free weed, but I'm kinda low on options here.

Speak to me, dudettes. Is this really the magnum opus 11/10 Zelda IGN mad its pants over?

Nayrman

I'd rather just have a game of dungeons thank you. The overworld doesn't have THAT much to do in it.

Neerb

Quote from: Ravioli on December 29, 2011, 09:45:46 PM
Speak to me, dudettes. Is this really the magnum opus 11/10 Zelda IGN mad its pants over?

Hard to say because it's so different than the others. It's far more streamlined and action-oriented. I would say this is the perfect game for newcomers because everything is so much more convenient, but it's kinda misleading if they play the others later, plus... the motion control...

The motion control works; it's a perfectly useable system that many, including myself, found fairly fun. In fact, after beating the game, I think these controls should come back for Zelda Wii U. Unfortunately, however, there's an idiot bias about motion control that makes people trick themselves into hating it. Many people think that they can control games with their minds; "If I move the controller how I think it should move, the game should move accordingly, and if it doesn't it sucks." They don't realize how PROGRAMS work, and how motion control is really just like using buttons; if the game is programmed to work when you do one thing, and you do something different, then it's NOT GOING TO FREAKING WORK, and it's NOT because the game is broken, it's because you're a FREAKING MORON.

So, as for the game... I absolutely love it, but I honestly can't say if your friend will like it

I think The Wind Waker's still my favorite, though, because of the world and the characters and the story and the nostalgia.

zephilicious

Quote from: Nayrman on December 29, 2011, 09:47:04 PM
I'd rather just have a game of dungeons thank you. The overworld doesn't have THAT much to do in it.
the overworld doesn't have anything to do in it. aside from fighting the same enemies over and over again and dozens of required fetch quests

Quote from: Delibird on December 29, 2011, 11:16:42 PM
Many people think that they can control games with their minds; "If I move the controller how I think it should move, the game should move accordingly, and if it doesn't it sucks."
This is exactly what good controls should feel like. If you notice the controls at all its a less than perfect control scheme.
~~ <3

Ravioli

He was probably basing that statement off of nothing or god forbid that Gamespot review and he'll probably cave and buy it anyways.

Personally from what I've watched and heard I'm not expecting this to be my top Zelda but I'd love to be proven wrong.

I'm not really worried about motion control. SMG pulled it off perfectly, so I assumed Nintendo knew what they were doing. Guess I won't know til I try it out though.

The Riddler

I'm further into it now so I can have legit opinions:
The motion controls are cumbersome. They are not in the slightest intuitive and because there is no easy way to make sure they stay synchronized, it intercourse s you up from time to time.  The recenter was a cheap cop-out, pointing at the screen and letting the the sensor bar sync it up would have been immensely better. You can't recenter unless you're in an item that requires you to aim or the map, and as such poop like the bug net and your sword get ruined. I try to slash sideways with my sword and it goes up. That's not right. I try to catch a bug flying and he slams the ground with the net. Not to mention the flying/beetle controls. I've yet to have the beetle and loftwing go where I want them to without frustration. Lastly, I'm actually feeling physical strain on my wrist which shouldn't be happening: Every time something doesn't work the way it's supposed to I have to try it a thousand times before it does. In particular every time I have to flap to ascend on the bird, my wrist hurts.

The controls are *not* amazing. Anyone who thinks they are have their heads so far up Nintendos ass in fanboyishness it's ridiculous. The fact is the game relies on the constant use of the recentering, which it shouldn't. That's a very, very serious flaw in the game, and is poor design.

That all said: Comments on the game itself.
Love the characters so far, all of the npcs are quirky in their own ways and I love it. The story progression ain't bad, but I'm not really digging the whole "overworld is a dungeon" thing. It's nice for a while, but some of it gets stale.

Thanks to the broken controls, battling is difficult. It seems that everything blocks everything and I can only score a hit if I'm lucky. >Lizalfos has an armguard on the right. >Slash from Left. >Controls somehow make it a slash from right and he blocks it. Yep. Fun.

Like someone else said, the dungeons themselves feel short. I was particularly disappointed with the end of the Earth Temple (I just finished it.) Yeah the Indiana Jones idea thing was cool... but it was so quick and easy that I literally said "That was pathetic" when I finished it. The boss was cool though. I do  like that the bosses aren't simple three-pattern kills now.

The Skyward Strike doesn't get as much use as I'd like it to. It's weird trying to combo with it.

In terms of context with the bosses: The bosses are only there because that dude is trying to stop you. In every other game, bosses are there as "guardians" of whatever you're trying to get at the end. Kinda feels weird that the bosses aren't *supposed* to be in these temples.

The limited inventory space is bothersome, just let me upgrade my satchels without taking away item space thanks.

I got used to the Stamina bar. Whatever on that.

uh what else

>No flying at night.-intercourse  that.

Edit: oh right. I hatehatehatehatehate that when you first see the spot you have to place the tablets and it makes you think there will be three more (you place the first one the blue ninny gives you and it takes the bottom right corner. You'd assume there's a tablet for each corner.) Then the second one you get takes up two corners worth of space. The game made you think you'll be going to three areas but cut you short at two. I HATE that.

EDIT2: ONE MORE THING: The "Big Keys" of this game, the golden sculptures or whatever. When you need to put them in the big door, it's just a waste of intercourse ing time. It's not an actual puzzle, it's just an irritant. :|

Nayrman

Quote from: Delibird on December 29, 2011, 11:16:42 PM
Hard to say because it's so different than the others. It's far more streamlined and action-oriented. I would say this is the perfect game for newcomers because everything is so much more convenient, but it's kinda misleading if they play the others later, plus... the motion control...

The motion control works; it's a perfectly useable system that many, including myself, found fairly fun. In fact, after beating the game, I think these controls should come back for Zelda Wii U. Unfortunately, however, there's an idiot bias about motion control that makes people trick themselves into hating it. Many people think that they can control games with their minds; "If I move the controller how I think it should move, the game should move accordingly, and if it doesn't it sucks." They don't realize how PROGRAMS work, and how motion control is really just like using buttons; if the game is programmed to work when you do one thing, and you do something different, then it's NOT GOING TO FREAKING WORK, and it's NOT because the game is broken, it's because you're a FREAKING MORON.

So, as for the game... I absolutely love it, but I honestly can't say if your friend will like it

I think The Wind Waker's still my favorite, though, because of the world and the characters and the story and the nostalgia.

Unfortunately, the control DOESN'T work. In addition to what Riddler has said, there is also the problem of intent with sword strikes. I've found the game slices if even the tiniest bit of motion is applied. Making a lot of enemies a pain in the as, as I'm trying to move my sword to swing at it's open side (swing, blocked!). It's stupidly done. There needs to be a way to tell the game "No, I don't want to swing just yet, don't do it" so this kind of poop doesn't happen. I found the beetle and loftwing good enough for what they do. Pointing objects like the slingshot (and I'm sure eventually clawshot) work just fine. The Wii always managed to play laser pointer well, mostly because we've had that tech for thirty years now. But the sword fighting is a broken mess still. Is it actually functional compared to TP? Sure, it is at least playable to an extent, but it's nowhere near close to being what I would consider intuitive or fun.

The ovewrold is bullpoop. Not "convenient" in any way. I wouldn't mind so much if they were actual minidungeons, but they're not. They're annoying obstacles that serve to pad out the game than really give a sense of challenge or progression. Not to mention that there is still lack of anything to do once you get through it a second time aside for search for a few goddess stones, which I don't find doing much. In terms of gameplay, I think the series has been doing nothing but fall off a cliff lower and lower since Wind Waker. This series needs a massive overhaul next time, but knowing Nintendo they'll put in more annoying fetch quests and dowsing bullpoop instead of put the things Zelda is known for, dungeons.

DededeCloneChris

Quote from: Ravioli on December 30, 2011, 12:58:13 AM
He was probably basing that statement off of nothing or god forbid that Gamespot review and he'll probably cave and buy it anyways.

Personally from what I've watched and heard I'm not expecting this to be my top Zelda but I'd love to be proven wrong.

I'm not really worried about motion control. SMG pulled it off perfectly, so I assumed Nintendo knew what they were doing. Guess I won't know til I try it out though.
It is a very good game. It's really beautiful and has a very strong story to follow. Keeping a steady hand to fight enemies is the key element. Moreover, items stopped being the bosses' weakness (well, for the most part).

I'd say get it.