News:

Change is coming. HOPE CHANGE UNITY

Main Menu

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Started by Neerb, March 02, 2011, 09:39:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neerb

Quote from: Nayrman on December 30, 2011, 08:59:55 AM
Unfortunately, the control DOESN'T work. In addition to what Riddler has said, there is also the problem of intent with sword strikes. I've found the game slices if even the tiniest bit of motion is applied. Making a lot of enemies a pain in the as, as I'm trying to move my sword to swing at it's open side (swing, blocked!). It's stupidly done. There needs to be a way to tell the game "No, I don't want to swing just yet, don't do it" so this kind of poop doesn't happen. I found the beetle and loftwing good enough for what they do. Pointing objects like the slingshot (and I'm sure eventually clawshot) work just fine. The Wii always managed to play laser pointer well, mostly because we've had that tech for thirty years now. But the sword fighting is a broken mess still. Is it actually functional compared to TP? Sure, it is at least playable to an extent, but it's nowhere near close to being what I would consider intuitive or fun.

For you perhaps. I never had those problems; I realized very early on what the controller would recognize as a swing and what direction it would go in, I adjusted myself accordingly, and I spent the rest of the game thoroughly enjoying and fully immersed in a game where the game mimics my movements. Like I said, it's programmed to do very specific things based on the controls, just like using buttons, and it can be both fun and immerse if you just learn how to play the game properly. Of course, in the end, you may just not like motion at all because learning how hard to swing isn't as easy as "hit the red button with a B on it," and frankly that's fine (I know there are certain games I greatly prefer buttons for). In the end, however, it's still the player that has the problem.

As for Riddler, again, I didn't have these problems. I didn't have to recenter too often, and when I did it didn't break immersion because it literally does not take a second of effort. I played the game how it was supposed to be played, adjusting myself to the game instead of vice versa (like EVERY GAME; you don't hit R on Halo and get mad when it isn't the sprint button), and it was very fun.

Doodle

The ovewrold is bullpoop. Not "convenient" in any way. I wouldn't mind so much if they were actual minidungeons, but they're not. They're annoying obstacles that serve to pad out the game than really give a sense of challenge or progression. Not to mention that there is still lack of anything to do once you get through it a second time aside for search for a few goddess stones, which I don't find doing much. In terms of gameplay, I think the series has been doing nothing but fall off a cliff lower and lower since Wind Waker. This series needs a massive overhaul next time, but knowing Nintendo they'll put in more annoying fetch quests and dowsing bullpoop instead of put the things Zelda is known for, dungeons.
I really don't see how it's any worse than GO GET X or DELIVER THIS LETTER FROM PRINCESS ZELDA. Arguably those pad out the game as much as Skyward Sword does.
YEAH

Flying Chickens

Unfortunately, the control DOESN'T work. In addition to what Riddler has said, there is also the problem of intent with sword strikes. I've found the game slices if even the tiniest bit of motion is applied. Making a lot of enemies a pain in the as, as I'm trying to move my sword to swing at it's open side (swing, blocked!). It's stupidly done. There needs to be a way to tell the game "No, I don't want to swing just yet, don't do it" so this kind of poop doesn't happen. I found the beetle and loftwing good enough for what they do. Pointing objects like the slingshot (and I'm sure eventually clawshot) work just fine. The Wii always managed to play laser pointer well, mostly because we've had that tech for thirty years now. But the sword fighting is a broken mess still. Is it actually functional compared to TP? Sure, it is at least playable to an extent, but it's nowhere near close to being what I would consider intuitive or fun.

The ovewrold is bullpoop. Not "convenient" in any way. I wouldn't mind so much if they were actual minidungeons, but they're not. They're annoying obstacles that serve to pad out the game than really give a sense of challenge or progression. Not to mention that there is still lack of anything to do once you get through it a second time aside for search for a few goddess stones, which I don't find doing much. In terms of gameplay, I think the series has been doing nothing but fall off a cliff lower and lower since Wind Waker. This series needs a massive overhaul next time, but knowing Nintendo they'll put in more annoying fetch quests and dowsing bullpoop instead of put the things Zelda is known for, dungeons.
Hey now, I liked Twilight Princess. It was fun...

zephilicious

it was certainly more fun than skyward sword
~~ <3

The Riddler

Quote from: Delibird on December 30, 2011, 09:44:21 AM
For you perhaps. I never had those problems; I realized very early on what the controller would recognize as a swing and what direction it would go in, I adjusted myself accordingly, and I spent the rest of the game thoroughly enjoying and fully immersed in a game where the game mimics my movements. Like I said, it's programmed to do very specific things based on the controls, just like using buttons, and it can be both fun and immerse if you just learn how to play the game properly. Of course, in the end, you may just not like motion at all because learning how hard to swing isn't as easy as "hit the red button with a B on it," and frankly that's fine (I know there are certain games I greatly prefer buttons for). In the end, however, it's still the player that has the problem.

As for Riddler, again, I didn't have these problems. I didn't have to recenter too often, and when I did it didn't break immersion because it literally does not take a second of effort. I played the game how it was supposed to be played, adjusting myself to the game instead of vice versa (like EVERY GAME; you don't hit R on Halo and get mad when it isn't the sprint button), and it was very fun.
Every single time you have to recenter it breaks immersion because that function shouldn't be there. I AM playing the game the way it's supposed to be played and the fact you're wording it that was is insulting, so go intercourse  yourself. It goes out of sync far too easily and it intercourse s up everything you do in the game. You can't recenter it for your sword, so you have to deal with broken controls until you go into a map or use something like a slingshot. That Halo reference was retarded and as such YOU'RE retarded. As I said, I do everything that I'm supposed to: Slash from the right should slash from the right. But the game registers it as from the left. Sharp left turn while flying my loftwing? Nope let's dive slightly to the right. Thrust with my sword? Oh no, let's do- I think you get the intercourse ing point.

The game's controls are NOT perfect, are NOT intuitive, and are NOT immersive. You literally have your head so far up Nintendo's ass that you can't see it.

Ravioli

So it sounds like overworld exploration is one of the divisive pushes for Skyward Sword. How would you guys rate the overworlds in all the games SS included?

Sans SS I got: WW > MM > TP > OoT

The Great Sea was perfect. Not only was it gorgeous and intercourse ing huge, it was fun to explore just because of that. Its goodies were pretty well evenly spread throughout the islands and almost all of them had something interesting to find: chests, caves, fairies, puzzles, squids, minigames, sidequests, yea nigga. And say what you want about the triforce quest, I liked treasure map/salvaging trips so I didn't care about that.

Neerb

Quote from: The Riddler on December 30, 2011, 02:24:29 PM
You can't recenter it for your sword

That right there is false; you can center it by making a couple vertical slashes.

As for the rest of your post, I'll admit that I was a bit harsher than I should have been, but there's a reason the majority of professional critics have given it great scores; the game is not broken, tons of people can play it perfectly fine myself included. If you don't like the controls, that's fine, but it's still your problem, because the game works exactly like it's programmed to and it was clearly programmed in a way that the majority of customers find not only satisfactory, but excellent.

Quote from: Ravioli on December 30, 2011, 03:02:40 PM
So it sounds like overworld exploration is one of the divisive pushes for Skyward Sword. How would you guys rate the overworlds in all the games SS included?

Sans SS I got: WW > MM > TP > OoT

The Great Sea was perfect. Not only was it gorgeous and intercourse ing huge, it was fun to explore just because of that. Its goodies were pretty well evenly spread throughout the islands and almost all of them had something interesting to find: chests, caves, fairies, puzzles, squids, minigames, sidequests, yea nigga. And say what you want about the triforce quest, I liked treasure map/salvaging trips so I didn't care about that.

Hard to say; the overworld is heavily integrated into the story in this game. On the one hand, there's not really "exploration" because the story is already pushing you through it, so that's a downer (I really loved the Great Sea too). However, it's still fun because it pushes you through it; it's action-packed and filled with puzzles and enemies and treasures while previous games often had very little between dungeons if you didn't actively seek it out.

I guess if I had to compare it to one other game in the series, it would be MM: it's a great town with sidequests and named characters surrounded by a tight-yet-attention-grabbing overworld.

Nayrman

Quote from: Ravioli on December 30, 2011, 03:02:40 PM

The problem is that there isn't any real exploration. They're pretty small areas, and pretty linear, they're just set up in such a way that it takes forever to do, what with dousing and creating shortcuts. It's like Nintendo WANTED to make it more dungeony, but at the last second decided against it so it feels half assed. I just don't think it adds anything unless they went on full dungeon mode.

As far as favorite hubs go, I'd go and say Majora's Mask. Mostly due to the fact that people had a routine and you had to learn what these people would do on each day via groundhog day looping. It's a hub world that was an actual puzzle than just what's going on in Skyward. I think the great ocean is just too big and barren in WW. Each square has it's one thing to do and that's it, aside from the few hub islands. Otherwise there just isn't a whole lot to do to be honest with you.

Neerb

If only they could combine it all... a Wind Waker ocean with many islands to explore, and several of the islands (the plot-important ones) are huge with Skyward Sword terrain and Majora's Mask towns (and of course the dungeons).

Although, I kinda felt like SS was a prototype of that anyway; Skyloft is the closest they've gotten to Clocktown, the sky felt like a smaller Great Sea, and of course each section of the Surface was unique to the game... they just need to go all out next time instead of sacrificing one for the other (which I be the Wii U could do).

The Riddler

Windwakers ocean was nice but tedious, in that yeah it was huge but there was little substance. Yeah each plot had one island (if you can call most of them islands), but how many of those islands had any actual exploration? It was just a pain sailing everywhere. Would have been nice to cyclone to any square you wanted instead of the 7 or 8 they give you.

The game easily could have added more than one island per square that wasn't directly in the center of the square.

The Riddler

btw i still refuse to use the dowsing, it makes the game feel cheap. I'm doing my own exploration without it.

zephilicious

Quote from: Delibird on December 30, 2011, 03:09:04 PM
there's a reason the majority of professional critics have given it great scores; the game is not broken, tons of people can play it perfectly fine myself included.

there are two reasons and this is not one of them.

1. reviewers are almost always paid for their scores
2. reviewers are the biggest intercourse ing fanboys in the industry and zelda is nothing if not fanbait.
~~ <3

Zero

combat really isn't as hard as you make it out to be

Neerb

Kayo

Whoo, I got the game. Time to see what you intercourse s are complaining about. And what you other intercourse s are praising so much.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]