Main Menu

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Started by Neerb, March 02, 2011, 09:39:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nayrman

Quote from: Michio Kaku on February 21, 2012, 07:50:58 AM
Other M wasn't even developed by Nintendo

also

I still find it really funny that you kids are so bad with the controls that you still consider them bad when its really you guys that suck.

I STILL haven't had any problems. The fetch quests are getting ridiculous though. I still haven't finished it but at least I'm getting closer.

"Lol you must just SUCK at it if you're having legitimate problems!" is what I'm hearing here. You're forgetting the split second delay, the fact that it uses the accelerometer more than anything else (causing that annoying bomb problem of it not going to "roll" half the time, etc.), it swinging if you're actually just moving the controller to get it to a different position (I've gotten hit by stun guns or whatever so many times because of this), and so on. Does it work better than most Wii games? Yes, but there are still PLENTY of legitimate problems with the controls.

Hero_of_Darkness

Quote from: Neerb on February 21, 2012, 08:43:41 AM
And yet those are the two favorites of almost everyone on the internet, which makes me think the number of dungeons is relatively unimportant.
They are now, but that sure as hell wasn't the case at release.

And that's not my point, anyway. They wanted to make this the longest Zelda ever, yet they decided to have less dungeons but more padding. Some of the padding was fun (mainly the stealth section in Eldin), it it put off way too many people, so most Zelda fans are never going to play this game again. Meanwhile, if they had used dungeons to make the game longer instead, chances are that it SS would have taken the spot as top Zelda in many fans' minds, especially since the dungeons in this game were all easily among the best in series. (Well, maybe except the first one.)

Also, you have to keep a pretty big point in mind here. Wind Waker was a rushed game, and Majora's Mask obviously wasn't that big of a project when compared to other Zeldas. Both worked with what they had and turned out great. Skyward Sword, however, does not feel like a game that took five years to make. They should have just kept the TP assets like they originally intended, released it in 2010, and started working on Zelda Wii U for 2013.  Skyward Sword is just wasted potential.

Zero

Hero_of_Darkness

Quote from: Nayrman on February 21, 2012, 09:08:58 AM
"Lol you must just SUCK at it if you're having legitimate problems!" is what I'm hearing here. You're forgetting the split second delay, the fact that it uses the accelerometer more than anything else (causing that annoying bomb problem of it not going to "roll" half the time, etc.), it swinging if you're actually just moving the controller to get it to a different position (I've gotten hit by stun guns or whatever so many times because of this), and so on. Does it work better than most Wii games? Yes, but there are still PLENTY of legitimate problems with the controls.
That's human error. You have to move it slower to get it into position. The only way to fix that is with mind reading. You just didn't get into the rhythm. At best, you only have an argument that it needed sensitivity options.

Zero

Quote from: Hero_of_Darkness on February 21, 2012, 09:25:10 AM
That's human error. You have to move it slower to get it into position. The only way to fix that is with mind reading. You just didn't get into the rhythm. At best, you only have an argument that it needed sensitivity options.

Pretty much this Nayr.

Nayrman

I don't think it's human error when I'm trying to do exactly what it wants me to do. This isn't the same thing as "pressing X to not die" and I press "A" so I die. At the very least it needs sensitivity options. And I tired moving it slower but the instant I do the enemy has already moved their shield, stun rod, what have you in the way. So then I have to wait for them to move it, or they attack me, or whatever. It's a pain in the ass, and painfully slows down what was previously a faster paced part of the Zelda games. I still want to know why there isn't a "hold to NOT swing" kind of thing going on to avoid all of the obvious problems that the motion controls could have.

Neerb

The fact that so many people can and did play the game without these problems means that the controls themselves are not the problem. It IS possible to play "correctly," and while the controls may not be as good as they could be, it's ultimately the player's fault if they fail where so many others breezed through. It's a perfectly logical argument; you're not "stupid" for not doing it correctly, but the plain fact is that you did not do it correctly.

Hero_of_Darkness

Quote from: Nayrman on February 21, 2012, 09:29:43 AM
I don't think it's human error when I'm trying to do exactly what it wants me to do. This isn't the same thing as "pressing X to not die" and I press "A" so I die. At the very least it needs sensitivity options. And I tired moving it slower but the instant I do the enemy has already moved their shield, stun rod, what have you in the way. So then I have to wait for them to move it, or they attack me, or whatever. It's a pain in the ass, and painfully slows down what was previously a faster paced part of the Zelda games. I still want to know why there isn't a "hold to NOT swing" kind of thing going on to avoid all of the obvious problems that the motion controls could have.
I had that problem. Then I got the rhythm down. It's not really that hard.

Why don't they have that button? Because it's a Wii Remote. :/

Zero

Quote from: Nayrman on February 21, 2012, 09:29:43 AM
I don't think it's human error when I'm trying to do exactly what it wants me to do.

uh...

zephilicious

If you have any room at all to blame human error the controls are not good. Good controls do exactly what the human expects at every moment in time (regardless of who the human is). Simple digital "if i press this then this happens" is a intercourse ing great way to do that. "if i swing the controller at roughly this direction is roughly this speed" is clearly not.

since you'll all call me out on being biased against motion controls, here's another example. pointing at a specific point on the screen to move the cursor to that point is good. pointing the controller to a specific point on the screen, pressing a button to move the cursor there, then moving the controller roughly some distance to move the cursor where you want it is not.

in almost all regards, twilight princess (a launch game with last minute tacked on controls) had more natural motion controls. nintendo has learned absolutely nothing about implementing motion controls. wii motion plus was not the solution.

~~ <3

Hero_of_Darkness

Quote from: zephilicious on February 21, 2012, 10:55:40 AM
If you have any room at all to blame human error the controls are not good. Good controls do exactly what the human expects at every moment in time (regardless of who the human is). Simple digital "if i press this then this happens" is a intercourse ing great way to do that. "if i swing the controller at roughly this direction is roughly this speed" is clearly not.

since you'll all call me out on being biased against motion controls, here's another example. pointing at a specific point on the screen to move the cursor to that point is good. pointing the controller to a specific point on the screen, pressing a button to move the cursor there, then moving the controller roughly some distance to move the cursor where you want it is not.

in almost all regards, twilight princess (a launch game with last minute tacked on controls) had more natural motion controls. nintendo has learned absolutely nothing about implementing motion controls. wii motion plus was not the solution.

You are biased. You just don't like the controls in general. There was no other way to implement it. Again, they only thing that they could have done but didn't do was give sensitivity options. When it gets down to it, you just want the sword to be button press. There's nothing wrong with the sword controls. It just comes down to preference and I've seen no evidence of the contrary. When I figured out the proper speed, it was easy. Move the controller into position quickly, but not swiftly, and then strike the second it gets there. It's skill-based.

Nayrman

Quote from: Hero_of_Darkness on February 21, 2012, 09:49:40 AM
I had that problem. Then I got the rhythm down. It's not really that hard.

Why don't they have that button? Because it's a Wii Remote. :/

By "hold down a button to not swing" I meant it as "Hey, I'm trying to just MOVE the sword, I DON'T want you to swing!" sort of thing. So much as twitching pretty much results in a sword strike when it goes into combat mode, which is a major pain.

I don't see how you could "get a rhythm down". There is no rhythm to be had. It's finnicky about how exactly it wants you to swing at points and simply put it just never quite worked for be. It either asks you to be WAY too specific (which it can't do) or it kind of spazzes and it requires multiple attempts and hope you get lucky. I very much prefer button pressing. Does exactly what you tell it to do because either you pressed the button or you didn't.

JrDude

Motion Controls could have been better, but there was nothing to base it off of. They basically had to work from scratch and experiment with what they thought was right in order for it to work. If there was ever a Zelda game with motion controls again, you can be sure it would be better. Regardless, Nayr and several other people would complain on how it's not perfect.
Regardless, it seems to not be getting a sequel like this since Motion Control is upgrading to an oversized touch screen.

I for one, never had trouble with the motion control. The only time I prematurely swung my sword was when I put my arm on my knee, and shook my knee.
Though, I did also have problem with whether Link did a Spin attack, or a Shield attack.
"SHIELD SHIELD" *SPIN ATTACK HYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH* *Smack by boss*
And sometimes I would try spin attacking and Link would shield. And then you have to get out of shield mode and back into sword mode to be able to spin attack.
"SPIN SPIIIIIIIN" *Kaching ching ching ching*
[move][/move]
Dude .

zephilicious

Quote from: Hero_of_Darkness on February 21, 2012, 11:22:29 AM
You are biased. You just don't like the controls in general. There was no other way to implement it.

I have provided very specific solutions to pretty much all of the problems with the controls. most of them dont remove motion controls.
~~ <3

Hero_of_Darkness

Quote from: Nayrman on February 21, 2012, 11:34:01 AM
By "hold down a button to not swing" I meant it as "Hey, I'm trying to just MOVE the sword, I DON'T want you to swing!" sort of thing. So much as twitching pretty much results in a sword strike when it goes into combat mode, which is a major pain.

I don't see how you could "get a rhythm down". There is no rhythm to be had. It's finnicky about how exactly it wants you to swing at points and simply put it just never quite worked for be. It either asks you to be WAY too specific (which it can't do) or it kind of spazzes and it requires multiple attempts and hope you get lucky. I very much prefer button pressing. Does exactly what you tell it to do because either you pressed the button or you didn't.

I know what you meant. There aren't any more buttons within easy reach to do something like that.

It worked for me. The problem is on your end. It sounds like you didn't take the time to learn the controls because you felt so strongly that you shouldn't have to learn the controls. Either that, or you had interference.

Actually, from what you describe, the latter seems very likely. It only messed up on me one time.

Quote from: zephilicious on February 21, 2012, 12:44:02 PM
I have provided very specific solutions to pretty much all of the problems with the controls. most of them dont remove motion controls.

I didn't see anything about the sword.