News:

<+Clu> have you tried barbecuing the computer

Main Menu

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Started by Neerb, March 02, 2011, 09:39:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BOREDFOREVER

I bought it yesterday.  It's alright so far.  This weak breakable shield poop is annoying, though.

JrDude

The whole game, I never had a problem with the shield except when I first got it (Wasn't paying attention to the health of it). Once I got a second one, it never even came close to breaking. I always repaired it anyway, but it wasn't ever close again.
And I got Shield Repair Potion III ready the whole time, never got used.
[move][/move]
Dude .

DededeCloneChris

Quote from: BOREDFOREVER on March 18, 2012, 04:31:59 PM
I bought it yesterday.  It's alright so far.  This weak breakable shield poop is annoying, though.
Bashing it against anything that isn't a sword won't break it.

Kayo

Quote from: NoiseHunterChris on March 18, 2012, 05:43:35 PM
Bashing it against anything that isn't a sword won't break it.
You're wrong. Try dealing with all those intercourse ing Deku Scrubs in Faron Woods when you lost a bit of your shield every time you bounce one of its seeds back at it.

Quote from: JrDude 益 on March 18, 2012, 04:50:09 PM
The whole game, I never had a problem with the shield except when I first got it (Wasn't paying attention to the health of it). Once I got a second one, it never even came close to breaking. I always repaired it anyway, but it wasn't ever close again.
And I got Shield Repair Potion III ready the whole time, never got used.
Yeah, I never lost a shield due to running out of health (I absentmindedly brought my wooden shield to the volcano though, and it broke immediately), but I always made sure I carried a Revitalizing potion, which I only used once.

Then I decided to spend my money and bugs getting a Revitalizing Potion ++, but soon after I got the Sacred Shield (which was awesome) and later the Hylian Shield (which is too much of a ninny to get). Never used that potion either.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Hero_of_Darkness

Quote from: Pennington on March 19, 2012, 12:24:13 PM
You're wrong. Try dealing with all those intercourse ing Deku Scrubs in Faron Woods when you lost a bit of your shield every time you bounce one of its seeds back at it.
You didn't get the timing right.

Kayo

Quote from: Hero_of_Darkness on March 19, 2012, 12:49:47 PM
You didn't get the timing right.
Um, the shield took a bit of damage every time, no matter what.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Hero_of_Darkness

Quote from: Pennington on March 19, 2012, 12:56:57 PM
That's not what I remember. Maybe when I get off my ass and try to do Hero Mode, I'll test it.

Neerb

Quote from: Pennington on March 19, 2012, 12:56:57 PM

I'm pretty sure that if you time your blocks correctly, it can go damageless against basically every attack. Note that a correct "block" isn't just holding your shield up and waiting to be knocked off balance, it's actually thrusting your shield forward to counter the enemy attack.

Kayo

Quote from: Neerb on March 19, 2012, 03:28:41 PM
I'm pretty sure that if you time your blocks correctly, it can go damageless against basically every attack. Note that a correct "block" isn't just holding your shield up and waiting to be knocked off balance, it's actually thrusting your shield forward to counter the enemy attack.
I had actually thought for a second that it was the other way around, and you only avoid damage when you have your shield prepared for a while.

I take shield damage every time, and I literally push the shield out at the last possible second to knock the seeds back. So, I've been doing what you said is the only way to avoid damage... and I've been taking damage.
[move][/move]

JrDude

I'm positive that your shield doesn't take damage by *ahem* OCTAROCKS (SP? Misspelling ruins the, "IT'S THIS NOT THAT" moment, but too lazy to look it up) when you thrust your shield at the right time.
Dunno about Hero Mode, never played that yet.
[move][/move]
Dude .

Doodle

You don't have to do it at the last possible second
You can do it a bit before the seed hits
YEAH

Kayo

Quote from: JrDude 益 on March 20, 2012, 02:08:01 AM
I'm positive that your shield doesn't take damage by *ahem* OCTAROCKS (SP? Misspelling ruins the, "IT'S THIS NOT THAT" moment, but too lazy to look it up) when you thrust your shield at the right time.
Dunno about Hero Mode, never played that yet.
I'm literally trying to remember if there were even any Octoroks in SS. Maybe in the Sand Sea?

I'm talking about Deku Scrubs. In the woods. They always. ALWAYS. wore my shield down.
[move][/move]

Neerb

Quote from: Pennington on March 20, 2012, 11:54:50 AM
I'm literally trying to remember if there were even any Octoroks in SS. Maybe in the Sand Sea?

I'm talking about Deku Scrubs. In the woods. They always. ALWAYS. wore my shield down.

First of all, those things in the woods are Octoroks; they aren't made of wood, and you can see their tentacles when you kill them. Octoroks were land-dwelling creatures in the original Zelda, and they brought them back for SS; meanwhile, Deku Scrubs haven't been in a game since FSA.

Second of all:

Skip to 1:08 and watch him get hit without shield, with shield simply raised, and then when he properly blocks, and notice what happens to the shield meter. NOTHING. With the weakest shield in the game.

Kayo

Quote from: The True Nicolas Cage on March 20, 2012, 01:17:27 PM
First of all, those things in the woods are Octoroks; they aren't made of wood, and you can see their tentacles when you kill them. Octoroks were land-dwelling creatures in the original Zelda, and they brought them back for SS; meanwhile, Deku Scrubs haven't been in a game since FSA.

Second of all:

Skip to 1:08 and watch him get hit without shield, with shield simply raised, and then when he properly blocks, and notice what happens to the shield meter. NOTHING. With the weakest shield in the game.
Weird, they behave exactly like Deku Scrubs/Mad Scrubs always have.

Anyway, watch also how his shield took damage. I'm just saying I always noticed losing shield energy from dealing with those things. Maybe it didn't happen every time, but it certainly happened a notable amount. And yes, that's when I had the shield prepared exactly like you say I should in order to block. Oh well.
[move][/move]

Neerb

Quote from: Pennington on March 20, 2012, 02:24:04 PM
Weird, they behave exactly like Deku Scrubs/Mad Scrubs always have.

That's because Deku Scrubs behave like Octoroks; they shoot rocks.

Quote from: Pennington on March 20, 2012, 02:24:04 PM
Anyway, watch also how his shield took damage. I'm just saying I always noticed losing shield energy from dealing with those things. Maybe it didn't happen every time, but it certainly happened a notable amount. And yes, that's when I had the shield prepared exactly like you say I should in order to block. Oh well.

Have you not read a word we've said? Did you not pay attention to the video? Or, perhaps, did you never read the instructions/pay attention to the tutorial.

Let me spell it out as plainly as I can, and you can review the video for visual aid:
"Preparing" your shield is NOT the same as properly blocking/deflecting. If you just flip your shield up and wait to take damage, your shield will get damaged; however, if you jerk the nunchuk at the correct time, you will thrust your shield forward, countering the enemy attack and leaving your shield undamaged.

The first time it hits him, his shield is not up, so he takes damage. The second time, he's just leaving his shield up, so his shield is damaged. The third time, he properly thrusts his shield forward, so the attack is countered and the shield takes no damage. Nothing "weird" about it; it's how everyone else has played the game since day 1, because there's a whole tutorial about it when you first train with your shield.