Previous topic - Next topic

DSWiiMaster42

Title: Worms: Open Warfare 2
Publisher: THQ
Developer: Team17
Consoles: Nintendo DS, Sony PSP
ESRB rating: Everyone 10+
Genre: Strategy/Shooter

One day when I was at the game store, I saw Worms: Open Warfare 2 there. I thought the idea sounded funny (worms killing each other with weapons), so I bought it. For those that are new to the Worms series (like me), after you set up the game, it will give you a tutorial on how to play. If you already know how to play, you can just skip the tutorial.

Story: 9/10
You have a team of four worms, and each worm has floating hands, similar to the floating hands Rayman has. The worms have hands because they use them to grasp weapons. You battle against other worm teams by using guns, bombs, and other weapons.

Graphics: 7.5/10
Not the best graphics on the DS or PSP because the levels are 2D, and there are a few 3D objects in the background. Only a few.

Sound: 9.5/10
The voice talents are very good. I love listening to the worms' voices, they sound so squeaky, and yet so cute.

Gameplay/Controls: 9/10
Like I said above, you battle against other worm teams by using guns, bombs, and other weapons. The controls are done really well: the B button jumps, B twice does a backflip, A uses the weapon you have, and Y switches weapons (or was it X? I forgot). Please note all of these controls apply for the DS version. The best part about the game is the online play. I'm usually on at night, and my team name is Dethklok.

Overall: 9.5/10
I love this game. Even though it's my first Worms game, I still love it. Hell, I've been playing it more than MPH! (I'll start playing MPH again in a few weeks, don't worry) I recommend this game a lot. And remember to PM me if you want to play. :)

Thanks to mackormoses for this badass sig!

SSBB friend code:1719-2939-0479
Characters I use: Ike (mostly), Sonic, or Captain Falcon
If you want to battle, please PM me.

Xbox Live gamercard: SegaSonic127

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/Slashrulez724 (my old account got deleted)

PXD

Let me be one to say that this review...could've been much better. It's not entirely horrible, but...at least in my eyes, it lacks a LOT of stuff to make it a full-fledged review. This would, however, make for a good mini-review, but if you're one to actually call it a complete review, I'd suggest going back to the drawing board and reworking it quite a bit.

First, while not entirely important, is the lack of pictures. Not only does it take away some of the professional effect from a review, it makes your review look like it had less time spent on it, and if you want people to take you seriously and know whether the game is good or not, you should aim to get in a few pictures if you can.

For games like this that're available on two systems, choose one to rate it on. Doing a combined one, mainly in terms of graphics, can give you some mixed opinions.

Next, before you even start the review, you should get to a point in the game whether you've either beaten the final boss for the main story, or at least have a good-enough grasp on it to write a review to mix in your opinions and general facts about the game. True, not everyone likes the same game, but many agree that certain games are awesome to play or should be avoided entirely, and that's the message you should be trying to make.

While sure, you don't have to write the review if you're nowhere near the end, it's a good idea to do it later. You never know if a major plot twist will change your opinion entirely, or if a noticeable error pops up that you feel like mentioning.

Your sections themselves are...disappointing to say the least.

Story - You've got the right idea: Give any background info, explain how the game starts out, and avoid any spoilers. Unfortunately, you stop short of going into deeper detail as to whether the story's a good one or not, whether the writing is pure genius, and whether it mixes well with the gameplay itself.

Graphics - Again, deeper details. Are there any actual good points to the graphics? How could they have been better then what they are? Do they add well to the rest of the game, or are they entirely out of place?

Sound - You failed to mention any music, much less other sound effects. Negative points to touch on would also be a welcome addition.

Gameplay/Controls - You put one sentence about something you already mentioned, and then add in a list of the controls (the fact you've forgotten what button switches weapons brings your professional look even lower - recheck/replay if necessary). After that, you made this seem more or less as a 'Let's play on Wi-Fi!' thread rather then a well-written, time-consuming review (making this almost, but not quite, insulting to those folks who do spend considerable time with their reviews - no offense meant).

The good thing about this is that you've got the groundwork, but you lack any significant examples, details, and other such things, which makes it questionable as to how far into the game you are. Explain how the game plays out (hence the name 'gameplay'). Bosses, weapons, ect.

I definitely hope to see this improved, if not, a far-better review next time around. Me and my pen will be waiting.

DSWiiMaster42

Quote from: PXD on February 15, 2008, 10:08:13 PM
For games like this that're available on two systems, choose one to rate it on. Doing a combined one, mainly in terms of graphics, can give you some mixed opinions.
Yeah, but I haven't played it on PSP so I was just talking about the DS version. I'll make the review better later.

Thanks to mackormoses for this badass sig!

SSBB friend code:1719-2939-0479
Characters I use: Ike (mostly), Sonic, or Captain Falcon
If you want to battle, please PM me.

Xbox Live gamercard: SegaSonic127

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/Slashrulez724 (my old account got deleted)