News:

<Clu> no nsfcd is basically a ghost town, it should be killed behind fences

Main Menu

Custom Icons, The Guide

Started by HTA!, January 15, 2009, 09:46:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HTA!

Custom Icons

Are you bored of that same old My Documents folder staring you in the face?
Wish you could add you own flair to your desktop?

In this guide, I'll show you that with a little know how and some artistic talent you can have you very own array of icons to play with as you choose.First off, I'm telling you right now GIMP or PS is a must for anything of quality, but if you insist on using paint then I can't stop you. D:

Get the latest version here.

Alright, now that you are all caught up we can get started, and for the sake of time and shortness I'll just make a simple icon for my Music Files

Step 1- The Size

-Most icons are relatively small, so we can stick to about 60 x 60 px for this one. And be sure to make it transparent!

Step 2- Making the Icon

-Now, this is not a tutorial on how to make a CD, but I'll give you a look at a few of the steps to you can see what I did, bare in mind that this will be pretty rough. Oh, and personally I like my CD's Golden.  :)

-Now I'll make the middle section: Just erase a small circle in the middle, then erase a larger circle with the opacity lowered, to give it a transparent look.

-Now, I'll add a few gradient flares and adjust the vector angles to give it that shiny look. Well, a low quality shine more accurately. Afterwords I redo my erasing to get rid of the center of the the flares and again add the small bit of transparency.

-That raps up the icon itself, click Save As and save it as CD.ico, you have to use this end tag or it will not work as an icon. Close out of GIMP and we'll head to our final step.

Step 3- Icontastic

-All we need to do now is use our Icon on the file of our choice, and to to do go into you My Computer app. and locate your folder. The problem is Windows doesn't let you alter its original folder icons, so to change them you will have to make a shortcut to the folder you want.

-Now you need to right click you folder, rename it if you like, and go to the properties option. Here, you will pick Change Icon, and from then on it should be fairly self-explanatory. Browse to find your Icon, set it to the folder and click okay!

And we are done. I'll post my icons so far here in the thread, but no one will want to use them so go ahead and make your own! Its easy, fun, and adds a new level of customization to your computer. Oh. and if you do make any post them here.

NSF's Custom Icon List-

HTA-

HTA!

O lord, finally.
Pictures were a hassle... :(

SkyMyl

HTA has attained asskick'em status.

HTA!