Main Menu

Zelda Franchise

Started by Macawmoses, March 24, 2009, 03:46:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macawmoses

http://www.twgnews.com/2009/03/23/top-10-zelda-franchise/

Some comments on the LoZ Series:

2 - Items, useful ones

Having lots of items is great but only when you have more than one use for them!.. I'm looking at you Spinner!  This item could have been more useful if we were able to ride it for fun and attack enemies.  There was some fun stuff with it, but they missed an opportunity, too.  If you make some cool items, give us more chances to use it.  And don't limit it's usage, except if it's an almighty force like the Fierce Deity Mask.  I also loved the Cape and Cane in A Link to the Past.  Some were not necessary to win, but they added to your possibilities.  Why not have the ability to buy some items just for the heck of it?  A new Bow because you kept enough money in your bank account, and now you have tons of Rupees to spend.  There's a kid selling a Slingshot, it won't help you in your quest, in fact it's weaker than your Bow, but you want to feel like Young Link again so you buy it!

Do you agree with some of the points the article makes?

Nayrman

I agree with everything, especially the voice acting, music, and more epic boss fights...

Neerb

I agree 100% with this article, and I'm sure most other fans will too...  Which is why I'm 89% sure Nintendo won't do anything this guy is recommending.  Nintendo hates hardcore fans almost as much as Sega hates Sonic fans.

Friendly Hostile

I agree for the most part outside of voice acting and the comment about MIDI.  Not always do games need full orchestration.  There's a bit of charm to some of the music in Zelda because it's not orchestrated.  Not to say I'd be distraught over Zelda adapting more orchestrated music or going fully orchestrated.  But I don't see the continued use of MIDI as something holding the series back.

As for the voice acting...I just don't think it's desperately needed.  Most are opposed to full voice acting, and and I don't think I'd like some people speaking and some not like the article suggests.  That just feels half assed to me.   I see no issue with the text.  I mean, god forbid you be forced to read.

Neerb

Quote from: Friendly Hostile on March 24, 2009, 06:40:57 PM
As for the voice acting...I just don't think it's desperately needed.  Most are opposed to full voice acting, and and I don't think I'd like some people speaking and some not like the article suggests.  That just feels half assed to me.   I see no issue with the text.  I mean, god forbid you be forced to read.

I was thinking it would be like Super Mario Sunshine; characters such as FLUDD, Toadsworth, Bowser, Bowser Jr., and even Peach all spoke during story-related cutscenes, but Mario was the silent hero and the non-cutscene dialogue was text.  I thought it worked pretty well there, and I think it could work well in Zelda.

Friendly Hostile

Quote from: SmashBro25 on March 24, 2009, 07:20:55 PM
I was thinking it would be like Super Mario Sunshine; characters such as FLUDD, Toadsworth, Bowser, Bowser Jr., and even Peach all spoke during story-related cutscenes, but Mario was the silent hero and the non-cutscene dialogue was text.  I thought it worked pretty well there, and I think it could work well in Zelda.
Except the dialogue sucked in Super Mario Sunshine.

Nayrman

Quote from: Friendly Hostile on March 24, 2009, 09:31:26 PM
Quote from: SmashBro25 on March 24, 2009, 07:20:55 PM
Except the dialogue sucked in Super Mario Sunshine.
Because it was NOJ's first real attempt at voice acting outside of Star Fox. Besides, I think it's at least worth a SHOT. After all, it'll make the experience better if it works (again, text is a major buzzkill in supposedly dramatic scenes).

As far as the MIDI argument goes, I respectfully disagree. Nintendo spends 4-5 years (besides MM) between Zelda releases. The LEAST they could do is make it orchestrated and give it top quality stuff. MIDI (in terms of big once a generation games) is just somewhat lazy. Also, if Mario Galaxy gets full orchestra, why shouldn't Zelda? After all, Zelda is the face of top notch quality in every aspect. Mario is still meant for everyone including kids. I'm sure most people really didn't appreciate the music in that game like most of us gamers really did, yet Nintendo won't give one of the most epic franchises in gaming history things other franchises have been doing for years? (orchestra and voice acting. I mean really Square used both LAST generation, yet like always, Nintendo is too stuck in their old ways to try anything different).

That's just my opinion.

Friendly Hostile

I'm not saying I'd oppose full orchestration.  I was merely commenting on the idea that MIDI is holding the series back.  I personally don't think it is.

And I honestly don't see how text is a buzz kill in dramatic scenes.  Voices can allow for more emphasis, but again, I don't see it working against the games.  Is it that hard to add the emphasis where necessary in your head?

Nayrman

Quote from: Friendly Hostile on March 25, 2009, 09:31:25 AM
I'm not saying I'd oppose full orchestration.  I was merely commenting on the idea that MIDI is holding the series back.  I personally don't think it is.

And I honestly don't see how text is a buzz kill in dramatic scenes.  Voices can allow for more emphasis, but again, I don't see it working against the games.  Is it that hard to add the emphasis where necessary in your head?
MIDI comment - fair enough

In our own head is one thing, but when even middle of the road developers like Double Fine with their excellent voice work in their games (especially Psychonauts) can get VA's to work well in their games, the number one money grubbing Nintendo can at least put voice acting for the NPC's to make the game world a bit more alive and vibrant. And again, text is a buzzkill. We get a dramatic scene where Ganondorf is sitting on the throne, Midna is making her usual awesome dialogue and the plot is moving forward with great music and atmospheric surroundings, but the mood is killed because of the text on screen and the little "blips" every time the text changes. It's not "holding the series back" per se, but it's keeping it from going forward and it basically just screams "cheap" from Nintendo. Sure Mario I can understand. There really isn't any dialogue or story to begin with, but with all the people to talk to and such in Zelda, voice acting shouldn't be too much to ask for with Nintendo basically printing their own money...