Silver's House of Pancakes

Started by Dog Food, September 06, 2010, 07:19:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkyMyl

Awesome, the story gets to continue.

Silverhawk79

SkyMyl

Dog Food

*cough* OKAY, HERE IT IS. RIGHT ON TIME, OF COURSE. *cue MYL with his amazing trope references to "blatant lies" or whatever else he can find*

Chapter Six - The Number Six

[spoiler]Dear Trainee #6,

We eagerly anticipate your involvement in our project. Unfortunately, detailed knowledge of what has been previously expressed can not be so openly disclosed. Because of this fact, in order for you to learn more you must enter the realm itself and seek the answers.

You have exactly one (1) day less than a full business week. In other words, four (4) days, to decide. We hope you choose the correct option regarding this project. Furthermore, we believe you would substantially regret denying yourself this opportunity. In fact, it sounds like quite a deadly mistake indeed.

Thank you for reading. Please consider your choices carefully. We expect to see you soon.

~The Beta Testing Committee (TBTC)

I read the letter over and over again. It didn't seem to make sense. At all. And worse yet, it didn't give me a location. If I wanted to visit with these people, how exactly was I supposed to do that? In the end, I decided the letter was some stupid prank pulled on me by the entire pancake shack. They were getting back at me for going completely axe crazy out on them that one time...

So I threw the letter out and went to work at 5 AM sharp.

It was early and the sun was just starting to rise when I arrived. Night, Spencer and Skye were the only ones there that I could see. Night was just finishing up his shift and leaving. I skirted around him, avoiding eye contact and walking as quickly as I could towards my two friends. I could feel Night's icy gaze digging into the back of my head. I didn't let out a single breath of air until the tense moment passed and he was out of sight. And then I let out a sigh of relief (and a gasp for air), which alerted Skye and Spencer of my presence.

Spencer was right by his beautiful car, painted nicely with the SHOP logo. The trunk was open and Skye was carrying boxes and loading them up. Spencer's job is to drive from store to store (or house to house) selling the SHOP products. He works closely with Skye, who does the packaging and sometimes delivers as well. And he's a huge car fanatic, as well. Honestly, he may very well get off on talking about motors. A true aficionado, as it were.

"Hey," Spencer greeted. "I heard you went all Christine on us a few weeks back."

Was that ever going to go away? "You heard, too?"

"Skye told me."

"You and the rest of the shack."

"Stay shiny. Even if you get a little bit of grease in your engines, you can still run like a true beauty." Car talk for 'cheer up, kiddo, it's not that bad'.

"Hey, I've been sane since that one little incident. So I try to choke a guy once and now I'm all greasy or whatever? Once. It was one time. I think we should all remember that."

"Sure. You skid in the mud, now you know to watch out the next time. You've got that warning signal, the puddle, to look out for and you can swerve to avoid it."

"Yes. Right. Swerve. But what if I'm going sixty five in a thirty five zone and I'm tuning into the radio?"

"Keep your eyes on the road or you'll crash and burn. You gotta take it slow, easy on the pedal. But don't make the brake your best friend, either. You gotta treat every part like family."

"Um... What?" We turned to see Skye standing there, carrying a rather big box and attempting to look over it at us.

"Sky's the limit," Spencer replied, taking the box from him, "if you put your mind to it."

"Why limit yourself to the sky? I'd at least like to get to Jupiter," I mused.

"Too windy and not a good visual. On a clear day, sky is your best bet. There's a silver lining to everything. Just drive."

Skye looked confused. And I'll admit, so was I. His made-up proverbs were becoming more and more obscure that even I was having trouble following.

"Well, I better start opening up shop and... serving people food," I said with a sigh.

"Here," Skye mumbled, handing me a bottle of SHOP syrup. "If you want it, you can have some of this."

"It's the oil that feeds us early risers," added Spencer.

"Oh thanks," I said, taking it. "Do I get waffles with this?"

"Sorry," Skye apologized.

I shrugged. "Ah well, the syrupy goodness will just have to do." I opened the cap and squirted a bit into my mouth, allowing the warm, sugary liquid to slide down my throat.

"How is it?" he asked, watching me.

"It's... good. But I don't think I'm big on condiments for breakfast. Besides, one squeeze is enough sugar to last me for the day."

I left them to their dealings, giving Skye the syrup back, and opened up the shack for business. It was a slow morning. A really slow morning. As in, well, I might have sort of fallen asleep at one point in the back while no one else was around kind of slow morning. But as long as I don't say it out loud, we can pretend that event never happened and no one will ever have to know about that! Since sleeping on the job might kind of sort of not be a good thing. Moving on...

Mack the Manager was the first one to come in, as usual. He didn't even spare me a glance as he went into his office. But that wasn't unusual. He was a busy guy who didn't have time for friendly chatter around the water cooler like the rest of us. He actually did his job, and he did it well. Silver came in next, while I was cleaning the dishes, talking with Super. I couldn't help but remember that other time that Silver encountered me when we were near dishes, and I unconsciously shifted my feet at the memory.

"I'll probably get the money to you... soon," Silver said plainly to Super. Talking about the monthly bills, no doubt.

"By the end of the month," Super said dryly. "That should be self explanatory."

"Right, I'll get it you by then... hopefully."

"The end of the month was three days ago. You're late."

Silver looked at his watch, then back up at Super with a guilty grin. "Oops."

"And didn't you promise it to me by October 24th?"

"Things happen, stuff breaks..."

"Tomorrow." And without waiting for a response, Super left. For some reason, that conversation was reminiscent of something similar that happened to me... I just couldn't put my finger on the significance. Oh well, I shook off the feeling and greeted Silver.

"Hi Silver."

"Oh hey, good you came."

"Course I came. I said I would, and I still work here, and this is my shift, so..." But my voice trailed off. Instead, I blinked dumbly. Things started to shift and change colors right before my very eyes.

"I wanted to talk to you about..."

But his voice drifted away. Everything was drifting away. I gasped, realizing when it was too late what was happening. The last thing I saw was Silver's surprised and concerned face as I collapsed onto the ground. Out cold.[/spoiler]

Sorry, this is more of a "transition" chapter. Something in between a filler and plot chapter. It's a little on the boring side, but it's important because it brings you towards the rising action and is chalk full of references to things and details for later (or just for fun).
I get obsessively manic over things. It's a problem.

Magnum

Oh Vesperia, never change... never change

SkyMyl

Quote from: Poet Laureate on November 03, 2010, 06:43:06 PM
I opened the cap and squirted a bit into my mouth, allowing the warm, sugary liquid to slide down my throat.
I'm not entirely sure if I want the mental image this provided me.

Quote from: Magnum on November 03, 2010, 07:07:18 PM
OH MY GOD! SKY KILLED KJ!
Hey, I didn't do anything to the syrup! Maybe the cryptic car proverbs of Spencer got to her in a delayed reaction sort of way.

Silverhawk79

It seems my telekinesis classes have paid off.

Macawmoses

it wasn't exciting, but set the tone for some later reads

Dog Food

I started work on the next chapter today. So expect it up next week sometime...

And this chapter should provide background information on the main character, introduce more staff, and set up the plot that was briefly mentioned in the first chapter.

Silverhawk79

Bump so KJ doesn't forget about it.
And just because.

Dog Food

Technically, I'm only a day late. And here we are, the next chapter!

Chapter Seven - Ask the Questions

[spoiler]I first moved to the town in June of last year. A little over a year after Judas had left. Disappeared, without a trace... The people at the Pancake Shack were welcoming, to say the least. They let me right in and gave me a few advances in pay, despite having so little, so that I could afford a roof under my head.

I dug a hole in the sand. In the middle of the night, checking every few seconds to make sure no one was around. Paranoid. Empty, black. I crawled into the hole and gently piled the sand over me, save for my face. It was warm and comfortable enough. The icy water would wake me up before I drowned. I could sleep there and no one would notice...

"Ow!" I opened my eyes and cried in pain. There was a foot on my face. A cry and they pulled their foot back.

A guy stood in front of me. He blinked a few times, then, the scene in front of him registering in his mind, jumped back. Then another guy, dressed in a clown outfit, ran into him.

"What did you stop for-" He started, but then also saw me. As soon as it registered, he began laughing hysterically.

I had been frozen, but at that moment I felt my face turn red and I struggled out of my sand domain.

"I, uh, must of fallen asleep after... uh," I sputtered, but the laughing clown derailed my thoughts. "I'm... gonna go."

"Wait, hold on," the man wearing normal clothes, along with headphones, said. He was also smirking, but seemed a bit nicer. I stopped, waiting, my back turned. "If you don't have anywhere else to go, there's a pancake shack nearby with extra room."

"What, we're going to let a girl in? I think everyone would die," the clown grunted.

"We have a girl chef," the other reminded the clown. Then he turned back to me. "Hi, I'm Zovi. I DJ at the place. This clown here is Junior. He's exactly what he looks like."

"You might think I'm a clown, but once you get to know me you realize I'm not a clown. Then you really get to know me and you realize I really am a clown," Junior said.

It didn't make any sense to me. I just nodded slowly, pretending to comprehend. In truth, I was tired and achy, and I just wanted a bed to sleep in.

When Zovi noticed I wasn't fit to do much walking (sleeping like that for a week does some things to you), he got his colorful bus and drove it over. It blared music, all of his own creation, and lit up the entire beach. He ushered me into it, Junior not helping (except to laugh some more when he thought about me sleeping in sand), and brought me to the shack.

I didn't get to have much of a conversation with either one of them. They showed me to a little area I could sleep in, then said good night (Junior in the gaps he had in between laughing), and left. I never saw either one of them again. I learned that the DJ and clown act were leaving the shack to pursue other venues. Apparently the decline in clients because of Judas was really hurting their business. I never had a chance to say goodbye or even thank you. But it was thanks to them that I found a home.

The next day, everyone knew about my "home" in the sand. Everyone seemed to think it was hilarious, but they were quick to help. Silver called in Super and set me up with a cheap home. I was so surprised, yet honored by their generosity. It took me months to pay them all back, but eventually I did it. After almost a year, I was beginning to make a real income, rather than just scrounging around trying to repay debts.

Life was simple.

Now? Not so simple.

I woke up with a head ache. Where the hell was I? It was dark, cramped, cold. Excruciatingly cold. Hard to breath... I gasped for air. My eyes began to adjust and focused past the dark. Where was I? It seemed to be a long tunnel, with no visible beginning or end. My heart began to race. How did I get here? Where was the exit? Did anyone know where I was?

I stood up, wobbled slightly, but managed to stand upright. I was still so weak... Then my mind began to pain pictures in my head. I was at work... at Silver's House of Pancakes... Right? But how... I remembered falling. And I touched my head. Winced. Dried blood. But I was okay. Right? What the hell happened?

"Hello."

Sharp gasp, swing around, head swirls, I feel my breakfast rushing up my throat. I'm on the floor again. The syrup from the morning is everywhere. I groan and attempt to fight the pain and get back up.

He's in front of me. Standing right there. No wait, there's two of him. Who are they? Reaching out a hand, wanting me to take it... I try to move away. Something's not right. I'm on the ground again, can't stop it. It burns my throat, sends my stomach into a pit of fire, my eyes tear up.

"What the f-" But I can't finish my sentence, more of the syrup is bubbling up and pouring out. I just groan and stop trying.

I lay limp... falling asleep again...

When I woke up next, I was in a bed, wearing a large, clean shirt - not mine - and I felt... wet. I also felt immensely better. There was a dim light in the room, so I could see my surroundings for the most part. It was a small, clean room. Brown rug floor, cream walls. Only enough room for a bed and dresser. Otherwise empty. I wrung out my hair, water dripped everywhere. Had I been swimming? It was still cold, so I clung to the warm shirt I had on.

It took a moment for my eyes to really adjust. Behind me, I heard the voice again.

"Hello."

I turned around slowly. This time there was only one of him. Had there been a twin, or was I just seeing double?

"Who are you?" I asked. No time for formalities. I needed to know what was going on. "Is this a... hospital?"

He chuckled. "No, I'm afraid not. The best I could do for you, though. Must have had a small reaction to something you ate, perhaps?" He had a clear, formal voice, with a soft touch of amusement. Almost as if every sentence was hinting at something else, like he knew the answers but refused to give anything away unless it was in riddles.

"Maybe..." I waited a moment. He still hadn't answered my other question. He stood still, wearing a black tuxedo, smiling warmly. He reminded me a little of James Bond, and I almost expected him to greet me in the same way. "Sorry... Your name?"

"Ah, yes, of course," he said, continuing to smile. But he didn't answer my question. Instead he took a pair of black sunglasses out of his pocket and put them on. "It is not my job to give you truths."

"...What?"

"You must find the answers for yourself."

I blinked, dumbfounded. What was this guy telling me? "So, you aren't going to tell me why I'm here? Where the intercourse  I am? Or who the hell you are?"

"The answers are all around you. I never repeat myself."

"What. The. Fuck. Is. Going. On." It wasn't even a question. I just poured venom out into every word. Something inside me was roaring. I wanted answers. I was at my familiar workplace one second, somewhere else the next - waking up intercourse ing sick and delusional - and then I was in a small room, suddenly wearing only a shirt that I definitely didn't own and being talked to like a subordinate to some well-dressed guy wearing sunglasses in a dark, gloomy room.

"You are one of them," he finally said. He sounded as if he was reassuring someone, not him or me, of that fact. As if he was talking to someone that wasn't there.

"Who? One of who? I work for Silver's-"

"Not them." It was curt, not particularly angry, but quickly brushed away. "Something much, much greater than them."

"I... Well I think my family might have had some money. But they weren't that great, I mean-"

"No, I believe they weren't, were they? Genes, yes they had fine genes. Which, I suppose, is all that really matters to us."

I didn't respond. Did this guy actually know anything about my parents, or was he just saying whatever came to his mind? But he didn't seem to have anything left to say to me. With his smile, he turned around and headed for the door.

"Wait," I said quickly, fear rising at the thought of being alone. Suffocating, alone. "Where am I? Can I go?"

His back to the door, his hand on the knob. "You won't know until you try." And then gone. The door shutting quietly behind him. But even that noise bounced around my small room, resounding, and I shivered.
What the intercourse  was going on?

I don't know how long I stood there, doing nothing, not even breathing. It felt like forever. Silence had engulfed me. The world stopped turning, yet I was rooted to the spot.

Then, something broke.

I rushed to the door, freezing with my fingers grasping the handle. Will it open? What's on the other side? Can I go? Can I go?

...Can I go?

Where am I?

...I am one of them...

Who?

Who am I?

The answers are all around...

Find the answers for yourself...

...Find the answers...

...yourself...

I twisted the knob. One-eighty.

The door creaked open. My eyes widened.

Free?[/spoiler]

Silverhawk79

Very interesting. I'm wondering what's gonna happen aaaaaaaa

Also,

QuoteSilver called in Super and set me up with a cheap home. I was so surprised, yet honored by their generosity. It took me months to pay them all back, but eventually I did it.

WOULD YOU LIKE TO UPGRADE YOUR HOUSE SIZE? ONLY 100,000 BELLS.

Macawmoses

Silly Silver, you know she gets no say in the matter.

SkyMyl

I'm pretty sure that dude speaks entirely in movie trailer quotes.

Quote from: KJ on November 21, 2010, 09:57:13 AM
"Hi, I'm Zovi. I DJ at the place. This clown here is Junior. He's exactly what he looks like."
Wow, a Zovi mention along with a Jr mention. Awesome.

Quote from: Silverhawk79 on November 21, 2010, 10:20:34 AM

WOULD YOU LIKE TO UPGRADE YOUR HOUSE SIZE? ONLY 100,000 BELLS.
>No

Magnum

The cloaked guy is her brother, THEBIRD!

Cue dramatic music

Oh Vesperia, never change... never change