News:

<Clu> no nsfcd is basically a ghost town, it should be killed behind fences

Main Menu

15 Years of Playstation.

Started by Tupin, September 09, 2010, 06:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tupin

Today is the 15th anniversary of the Playstation, the system that showed America CDs were the gaming format of the future. So many good games, and it had one of the longest production cycles of all time, with 2006 being the last year of manufacture.

I got mine in 1998, and played it constantly. Mainly Spyro and Crash Bandicoot, as well as the occasional racer (Chocobo Racing, Crash Team Racing, both of which were awesome), and the usual licensed stuff. The Playstation and the move from cartridges in general fortunately/unfortunately helped out piracy, which had mostly been confined to floppies.

Who else remembers playing this awesomeness?

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

SkyMyl

Well actually, I had an N64, but my brother was the one with the Playstation. And he would always be getting discs that had numerous demos in them, including one that, for some reason, literally scared the poop out of me. But hey, I was four.

I do remember struggling with Symphony of the Night, and I vaguely remember Final Fantasy VIII (with my sis failing when she reached Adel). But I never really got to play it around 2000 because she would be playing FFIX, nonstop. My brothers have even confirmed that she would do nothing all day, for some days, but play FFIX, and whenever she went to the bathroom, they would sneak their playthroughs in.

Quote from: Tupin on September 09, 2010, 06:21:05 PM
and it had one of the longest production cycles of all time, with 2006 being the last year of manufacture.
...Sony was still making the original PS1 models right up to the same year the PS3 came out?

Tupin

Well, March 23, 2006 was the last day of production for the PS1, according to Wikipedia.

How odd, I also was scared by a PS1 demo, mainly the ones that had lots of violence and Um Jammer Lammy in them. That game always used to creep me out for some reason.

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

MoS

We had both a PS1 and N64. Me and my brother played the poop out of Metal Gear Solid and Resident Evil.

Magnum

Oh I just found this...

Yeah, I got the N64 and my sister got the PS1, but we traded constantly. She would always play Mario and I would play THE MOST BADASS FIGHTING GAME WITH THE GREATEST 'HERO' OF ALL TIME! BATTLE ARENA TOSHIDEN 3! FUCKIN' DAVID WAS THE MOST BADASS MOTHER FUCKER EVER! HE USED A CHAINSAW AS HIS WEAPON! LET ME REPEAT, HE USED A MOTHERFUCKING CHAINSAW FOR HIS WEAPON!

I'm good now.

Oh Vesperia, never change... never change

Eizweir

I never owned a PS1

And I missed out.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/xluxaeternax

formerly: Marth Xero, Xero, Roy Khan, Diego Armando, Lux Aeterna, and more I forget it was like 11 years ago jeeze

Turok

We had an N64. Got stuck with the system that (occasionally) felt like missed out on the good games. I'll see your Final Fantasy & raise you Perfect Dark, I used to say.

I did play Twisted Metal 2 at my neighbor's house, and then at home on our PC though. So I did get FF7, and 8, Metal Gear Solid despite not owning a PS1. yay PC ports.

[spoiler]
QuoteSo is it Capcom JPN or US screwing the PC release over? Both?
QuoteNUKE THEM FROM ORBIT, IT'S THE ONLY WAY TO BE SURE

PC GAMERS

If you don't give us what we want, we'll nuke you from orbit.
[/spoiler]