News:

ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL.

Main Menu

The World Ends With You review

Started by Zovistograt, May 10, 2008, 05:19:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zovistograt

So I went into Gamestop today, about to buy Mario Kart Wii.  When I was about to buy it, though, I had a thought akin to video game heresy: I wasn't truly excited about the game.  So I browsed around, thought about buying Ontamarama, put it back, and then stopped and saw that game that I saw in NP that looked good.  It was attached to three other games and it was the last one, so the guy had to forcefully rip the case off the copies of Final Fantasy whatever.

anyway

The World Ends With You is an action/RPG that plays out in a very cinematic fashion.  In fact, the cinematics are in some cases extremely long, and if you're itching for the action part and would rather do without cutscenes, this isn't exactly the game for you.  However, if you love a game that tells a good story and develops characters, I think you'll enjoy this.

image blatantly ripped off from Wikipedia

So basically, the main character, an extreme introvert named Neku, gets plopped in the middle of an intersection in Shibuya with a weird pin and the ability to read people's minds.  Then he gets a message that he must reach 104 in 60 minutes or he will be subject to "erasure."  Confused, he seeks answers while trying to stay alive in this demented semi-real extradimensional Game, and meets other Players who are trapped in the Game for the duration of 7 days.

In between cutscenes (this game is the opposite of most games...action comes in between cutscenes, not the other way around :P), you will fight monsters called Noise.  These Noise are extradimensional beings that, at least in the beginning, take the shape of frogs.  The game employs a crazy but ingenius new style of fighting called the "Stride Cross Battle System," where you simultaneously control Neku on the bottom screen using the stylus (attacking via pins, which are basically abilities), while your partner (at the start, it's Shiki, the possibly-anorexic girl) is controlled using the control pad (or ABXY for lefties like me) on the top, using combos that kill more easily and pass energy back and forth and stuff.  It seems complicated but it's sort of intuitive in a weird way.  You get used to it.

Stride Cross Battle System in action:

again, thanks Wikipedia...although Shiki's facing the wrong way ;_;

As for the characters, Neku isn't the most likeable guy (in fact, he's quite rude).  However, his character kind of works together with the other colorful characters in the game to create a great character-driven storyline that has plenty of room for twists and turns along the way.

The art in this game is AMAZING.  ABSOLUTELY AMAZING.  The intro sequence is enough to show that.  The boxart is enough to show that :P  I love this style...yeah...

As for the music, I'd say this game may contain the best music loops I've ever heard on a DS game.  My weakness is good electronica, and THIS is good electronica.  My foot is tapping while playing this game.  Good vocals, too.  Almost haunting.  And I don't even care that some of the songs are just 30 second loops XD

So scores.

Gameplay: 7/10 (well...you are doing the same thing over and over again if you think about it, but it's always something new.  The controls are nice and defined, although it may be tricky to get accustomed to them starting out.)

Art/Music: 10/10 (yesyesyes)

Storyline/Characters: 9/10 (great cast, it's all about the plot and the characters here)

Value: 8/10 ($40 for a work of art?  I'll take it!)

All together now: 9/10

One of the best DS games I've played in a while.  Verahnice.
"I lovat a gabber.  I could listen to maure and moravar again.  Regn onder river.  Flies do your float.  Thick is the life for mere." - James Joyce (Finnegans Wake, page 213)

Shiki

Oh, you're a player too?
Ask Zovistograt questions?

[The Mission]
[The Reaper's Game]
[Pins]
[Enough of the that!]

Silverhawk79

Neku

Quote from: Silverhawk79 on May 10, 2008, 06:22:24 PM
Don't make me lock this, guys.

AAH A REAPER!

Macawmoses

Quote from: Neku on May 10, 2008, 06:23:28 PM

AAH A REAPER!
shut up.

Nice Review Zovi, it is short, unique, and entertaining. More detail would be nice, though.

Neku

Quote from: mackormoses on May 10, 2008, 06:30:45 PM
Quote from: Neku on May 10, 2008, 06:23:28 PM

AAH A REAPER!
shut up.

Nice Review Zovi, it is short, unique, and entertaining. More detail would be nice, though.

Are you the game master?

Custom

Although i'm not Joshua or Beat. *looks at Neku and Shiki*
I love this game (its my favorite). Nice review Zovi.

Quote from: Viewtifulboy on March 11, 2013, 07:28:20 AM
Good job! I, Viewtifulboy, declare you the CHAMPION!

I'm the official winner of the Viewtiful Victory roleplay championship!

Neku

Quote from: Customrobo13 on May 10, 2008, 06:40:40 PM

Oh you're a player? I don't understand this mission..

Custom

Quote from: Neku on May 10, 2008, 06:41:41 PM

I didn't get the mission yet. I'm at Cat Street buying pancakes to improve my bravery.

Quote from: Viewtifulboy on March 11, 2013, 07:28:20 AM
Good job! I, Viewtifulboy, declare you the CHAMPION!

I'm the official winner of the Viewtiful Victory roleplay championship!

Neku

Quote from: Customrobo13 on May 10, 2008, 06:44:49 PM
Quote from: Neku on May 10, 2008, 06:41:41 PM

I didn't get the mission yet. I'm at Cat Street buying pancakes to improve my bravery.

I'm still on day 1. It says to go to 104, what the hell is 104?? DURRR.

Silverhawk79

Neku, I know you're Vocaloid.
Pick which account you wanna keep.

Neku

Quote from: Silverhawk79 on May 10, 2008, 06:47:09 PM

WHAT?! you're going to ERASE ME? NOO

ERASE VOCALOID PLEASE!!

Shiki

Quote from: Neku on May 10, 2008, 06:49:25 PM
Quote from: Silverhawk79 on May 10, 2008, 06:47:09 PM

WHAT?! you're going to ERASE ME? NOO

ERASE VOCALOID PLEASE!!

Watch out Neku the GM might come after you next D:D:D:D:!!!