News:

Change is coming. HOPE CHANGE UNITY

Main Menu

So, how much do you know about competitive battling?

Started by Juliette, November 25, 2008, 10:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero

Quote from: Spiritombreeder on December 16, 2008, 07:12:33 PM
Quote from: Zero on December 15, 2008, 02:24:26 PM
Competitive pokemon consumes far too much time. The effort isn't worth the satisfaction of having an "unbeatable" team.

I was into it for a while but..meh

Its like a game of chess.  Your team can never be unbeatable, there's always a way to lose.  Its just your job in-game to do everything right.

Which is why I used quotations. I know this. But the fact of the matter is, competitive players are almost always trying to figure out ways to eliminate or make-up for their party's weaknesses.

That, coupled with EV training is just...unbearably time-consuming.

Juliette

Quote from: Zero on December 16, 2008, 09:36:48 PM
Quote from: Spiritombreeder on December 16, 2008, 07:12:33 PM
Quote from: Zero on December 15, 2008, 02:24:26 PM
Competitive pokemon consumes far too much time. The effort isn't worth the satisfaction of having an "unbeatable" team.

I was into it for a while but..meh

Its like a game of chess.  Your team can never be unbeatable, there's always a way to lose.  Its just your job in-game to do everything right.

Which is why I used quotations. I know this. But the fact of the matter is, competitive players are almost always trying to figure out ways to eliminate or make-up for their party's weaknesses.

That, coupled with EV training is just...unbearably time-consuming.
ah.  That's true, but really you find out from experience.

Also, the magic of shoddy battle :3.
better yet hell, just use an Action Replay.

Really all the crap given about it isn't even true.  Sure its an easy way, and some feel its being lazy, which it is I won't argue, but if you really just want to battle, hell use one.

So many commas lol.

Although it is real money out of your pocket, eh.

Wedge

EVs, or effort values, are "points" assigned to individual stats by defeating certain Pokemon. The total EVs cap at 510, with an individual stat capping at 255 (only 252 of those are actually used since you gain 1 stat point at level 100 per every 4 EVs). For instance, by defeating a Bidoof, you will gain 1 HP EV. By defeating 4 of them, you get 4 EVs, or one HP stat point at level 100.

IVs, or individual values, are points determined when the Pokemon is caught or bred. Each point in each stat, ranging from 0-31, gives you one stat point at level 100.

A Pokemon in the OU, Overused, tier is one of the (some % here) most used Pokemon. OU has nothing to do with power or whatever since it is determined by useage, just like UU and NU. BL and Uber Pokemon are Pokemon that are banned from UU and OU respectively due to overcentralization or other factors.