News:

Our thoughts go to Silver and his family in this difficult time.

Main Menu

The Unofficial Arts Review Thread

Started by THEBIRD, June 22, 2008, 03:55:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

THEBIRD

The Unofficial Arts Review Thread

Welcome to the Arts Review Thread (ART). The point of this thread is for avid movie-goers or music-tuned people to submit their reviews for a movie, music album, or perhaps even a music video or TV show. Just write up a review using the following format:

Name: [Of movie, album, music video, TV show etc.]
Summary: [A quick, couple-sentenced explanation of the movie, album, music video, TV show etc. for those who haven?t seen/heard it, without giving anything away.]
Review: [Give your paragraph or two explanation of what you thought of it.]
Rating: [0-5 stars, including halves. Pretty much your review, in a quantity.]

New reviews will be featured in my ?New Reviews? post, so no one can miss it. Excellent reviews will be showcased in my ?Featured Reviews? post. To get a featured review, it would not only have to be well done, but it would also have to be helpful.

If there are people who don?t wish to write a review, but would rather talk about others, they are welcomed to the thread. You may come in and say ?The review on that new album was great. It helped me decide to actually buy the album, and I love it!? (things like that could help get a review featured.). But I don?t want chatting or spamming. And I especially don?t want flaming because someone liked something that other people hated. It?s all in the matter of one?s opinion.

THEBIRD

New Reviews

Zovistograt's--
Name: "Electron" - DJ Kurt
Summary: As far as I know, this is one of the latest productions of the hardcore artist DJ Kurt, one of my favorite hardcore DJ's.  It is an energetic track with spoken samples and his trademark style of synthwork.
Review: Kurt's always been about ripping up the dancefloor with driving synths and a peppy, not-too-bass-heavy kick (with the notable of exception of "Infexious" which is more of a bass-rich track).  "Electron" is one of those great tracks, but I'm seeing a little bit of a problem here: it sounds a bit too much like his other tracks.  That's not good...successful DJ's in any style of music should have a lot of variation in their tracks to make it interesting.  "Electron" is actually a great choon, but I hesitate to entirely praise it.  He reuses multiple synths from some of his earlier work, and the vocal sample itself is a bit...uhh...sub-par.  It's a welcome addition to any mix, though, and even if it doesn't exactly stand out among his other songs, it is still what you'd expect from Kurt: a high-energy thrill ride.
Rating: * * * *

THEBIRD

THEBIRD

Zovistograt

I'll give it a shot.

Name: "Electron" - DJ Kurt
Summary: As far as I know, this is one of the latest productions of the hardcore artist DJ Kurt, one of my favorite hardcore DJ's.  It is an energetic track with spoken samples and his trademark style of synthwork.
Review: Kurt's always been about ripping up the dancefloor with driving synths and a peppy, not-too-bass-heavy kick (with the notable of exception of "Infexious" which is more of a bass-rich track).  "Electron" is one of those great tracks, but I'm seeing a little bit of a problem here: it sounds a bit too much like his other tracks.  That's not good...successful DJ's in any style of music should have a lot of variation in their tracks to make it interesting.  "Electron" is actually a great choon, but I hesitate to entirely praise it.  He reuses multiple synths from some of his earlier work, and the vocal sample itself is a bit...uhh...sub-par.  It's a welcome addition to any mix, though, and even if it doesn't exactly stand out among his other songs, it is still what you'd expect from Kurt: a high-energy thrill ride.
Rating: 4/5
"I lovat a gabber.  I could listen to maure and moravar again.  Regn onder river.  Flies do your float.  Thick is the life for mere." - James Joyce (Finnegans Wake, page 213)

THEBIRD

Good review. Short and too the point, but you've got enough information in there to show why you like and dislike it. I've added it to the "New Reviews" section, and it should stay there for a while until new reviews come in.