News:

<Clu> no nsfcd is basically a ghost town, it should be killed behind fences

Main Menu

Anime Is Dubbed To English, Right?

Started by JrDude, January 21, 2009, 05:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JrDude

Well since that's the case, do any American/Canadian/English shows get dubbed and watched in Japan? (or anywhere else actually)
I never really thought of it 'till I remembered FC's scene where they make fun of South Park, but IDK.
[move][/move]
Dude .

Nayrman

Like whenver anime is brought here, it depends on how popular it is.

I know Powerpuff Girls was brought over in the 90's.( The reason Japan got Powerpuff Girls Z) I also know Spongebob, and various superhero shows were also (not all, but some). I don't think South Park ever made it, but the "Chinpokoman" did get a lot of publicity over there. Oddly enough that episode is the reason FC paradied South Park. I'm sure the Simpsons were over there at some point... X_X;;

Tupin

Yes, American shows do get dubbed, but they are not very popular. The Simpsons are known more for advertising a soft drink than their actual show.

South Park is actually dubbed by Matt Stone and Trey Parker in Japanese, as they both apparently speak it fluently. I've heard sections of audio, and the characters sound exactly the same, but in Japanese. All of the episodes were released over there, excluding Chinpokomon.

Is there a link to the reaction of Japan to that episode?

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

Nayrman

Quote from: Tupin on January 21, 2009, 05:43:39 PM
Yes, American shows do get dubbed, but they are not very popular. The Simpsons are known more for advertising a soft drink than their actual show.

South Park is actually dubbed by Matt Stone and Trey Parker in Japanese, as they both apparently speak it fluently. I've heard sections of audio, and the characters sound exactly the same, but in Japanese. All the episodes were released over there, excluding Chinpokomon.

Is there a link to the reaction of Japan to that episode?
From what I understand they understood the parody but they weren't too fond of it (for obvious reasons).
I love how FC decided to add that South Park bit AFTER the episode was done. you can tell where they cut it too XD

Advertising a soft drink...and MR.SPARKLE!

I also remember vaguely of Dexter's Lab being dubbed, but it did horrible from what I understand...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgOH_GKkflQ
I still can't believe this show actually exists... X_X;;

Tupin

It was revealed around April Fool's Day, so most people thought it was a joke. XD

I laugh EVERY SINGLE time I see that intro.

It's absolutely ridiculous, and I don't think they even attempted to get it dubbed for America.

Wow, I'm still laughing as I type this...  :D

Edit: Apparently they ARE trying to get it distributed in America, but they are facing some roadblocks because they aren't sure if the original voice actors from the American version want to dub or not.

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

Nayrman

Quote from: Tupin on January 21, 2009, 06:01:37 PM
It was revealed around April Fool's Day, so most people thought it was a joke. XD

I laugh EVERY SINGLE time I see that intro.

It's absolutely ridiculous, and I don't think they even attempted to get it dubbed for America.

Wow, I'm still laughing as I type this...  :D
I too thought it was a joke the first time I saw it. I basically though there was no way someone would be dumb enough to try and sailor moon-anize 10 year old girls and give the letter "Z" at the end of something. Yet sure enough they did.
Of course Mojo Jojo is in it for some reason...even though it makes no sense story wise but whatever...
I've only seen the first episode, got so confused and wigged out I vowed to never watch a single clip of the show ever again...

JrDude

Wow, never heard of that, and it's somewhat recent due to the Cartoon Network logo being the newer one. XD
And Mojo Jojo HAS to be in it, he was the main villain, and he's awsome.
[move][/move]
Dude .

Nayrman

Quote from: JrDude on January 21, 2009, 06:32:11 PM
Wow, never heard of that, and it's somewhat recent due to the Cartoon Network logo being the newer one. XD
And Mojo Jojo HAS to be in it, he was the main villain, and he's awsome.
I know he's the main villain but it still makes no sense X_X;;

It'd be like in Batman Beyond if they Joker was still... *looks at "Return of the Joker* ... god dangit  :robotindifferent:

Gwen Khan

I know Beast Wars was shown over there, ruined the characters too

Level_9_Chao

I feel weird now for liking PPGZ. I remember downloading the subbed episodes as they came out like 3 years ago, I loved it... >__>

I know it's in English on Cartoon Network Phillipines.
Become a Failbook fan: Victory Road :3

The Game Boy Pocket.
Put it in your back pocket.
Sit down and it breaks.

Pachuri

Japan has American versions of weeaboos where all of them cosplay as simpsons and south park characters.

Zovistograt

A lot of anime is revealed or start around April Fool's Day because that is the start of the spring season of anime.
"I lovat a gabber.  I could listen to maure and moravar again.  Regn onder river.  Flies do your float.  Thick is the life for mere." - James Joyce (Finnegans Wake, page 213)

Nayrman

Quote from: Zovistograt on February 06, 2009, 09:31:56 AM
A lot of anime is revealed or start around April Fool's Day because that is the start of the spring season of anime.
New Fullmetal Alchemist in April YAY!!! And it follows the manga...which I need to read X_X;;

Zovistograt

Quote from: Nayrman on February 06, 2009, 09:42:52 AM
Quote from: Zovistograt on February 06, 2009, 09:31:56 AM
New Fullmetal Alchemist in April YAY!!! And it follows the manga...which I need to read X_X;;
Haruhi Season 2 and Hayate no Gotoku 2 are coming then too.  It will be a good season.
"I lovat a gabber.  I could listen to maure and moravar again.  Regn onder river.  Flies do your float.  Thick is the life for mere." - James Joyce (Finnegans Wake, page 213)