News:

<+Clu> Silverhawk79 is just wrong for me

Main Menu

Voltorb Flip game

Started by Night the Lucario, March 21, 2010, 06:59:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DededeCloneChris

Quote from: Cornwad on April 02, 2010, 11:28:47 PM
I actually recommend trying to finish it. I couldn't get Wifi to work so I got all 9,999 coins. It gives you a great sense of accomplishment once you're done. Goddarn voltorbs.
WHO are you, again?

ThePowerOfOne

Tried it, after an hour of trying to get enough for Ice Beam and Thunderbolt, I was convinced it was impossible.

Basically, I hate the Voltorb Flip with a passion.

Kayo

I like it, much more than slots.

It's free to play, and is based mostly on skill. It's like many other logic puzzles, using some of the same tricks as Sudoku and Hitori, which I am pretty badass at. I'm good at logic puzzles.

Last I played, I made it to level 8. I could do better though.. My goal is to see if theres a level 20, and I think I can do it. Wish me luck guys.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Mystic

I hate this game. It's a ninny, but so addicting ;_;

Drezford_the_Rebell

It definitely makes me feel smart, but after a while (say level 4) bullpoop starts to happen, and my awful luck catches up to me. 2 3-spaces and 2-voltorb in 4 equally plausible free spaces? Guess what I end up with. No seriously guess.

If you didn't guess voltorb shove yourself in a cheese grater.

PsychoYoshi

Levels 1 and 2 are usually foolproof provided you use the 'dead row' method shown in the video. The method still helps in L3+, but there is always a certain amount of luck built into the game. I'll still take it over the slots any day, though. At least there's some semblance of skill involved.

For those of you who don't understand the video:
1) If you have any rows or columns with 0 Voltorb, immediately open the entire row up. In order to maintain your current level in Voltorb Flip if you fail out, you'll need to open at least the same number of panels. (E.G., you need to open up 3 panels to stay at Level 3 if you lose).

2) If you have any rows or columns where the sum of the Voltorb and Coins equals 5, this is what people called a "dead row" and you don't need to open it (dead rows are 1 Voltorb/4 Coins, 2 Voltorb/3 Coins, 3 Voltorb/2 Coins, 4 Voltorb/1 Coin). Mark it as "dead" with your memo pad (I usually notate a dead row by marking it with both a 1 and Voltorb icon). As noted above, if you have a row without Voltorb, open it up (even if it's 5 Coins/0 Voltorb).

3) Cautiously begin flipping rows/columns with a high Coin total and a low Voltorb total (7+ Coins/1 Voltorb). 2s and 3s are usually (statistics can be a ninny) located at 'intersections' between a row and a column which each have a high Coin total. For example, if you see a square which belongs in a row with 10 Coins and 1 Voltorb and a column with 9 Coins and 1 Voltorb, there is a higher probability of a 2 or 3 being there than there is a Voltorb.

Once you determine that there's nothing left in the row besides 1s and Voltorbs, mark the row as dead.

4) In the best-case scenario, marking rows as dead will logically lead you from one 2/3 to the next, but at the end of a round, you'll oftentimes wind up four cards. They typically have a layout like so:

2/3 coins   Voltorb
Voltorb     2/3 Coins

or

Voltorb   2/3 Coins
2/3 Coins   Voltorb

In such a case, you have a 50/50 chance of intercourse ing up, but if you save such patterns for the end, you'll have enough panels already open to prevent the game from lowering your level.

I found it frustrating at first, but you'll get better at it with practice, and I can routinely maintain level 5 (usually ~500 coins) now. My best is Level 9.

Kayo

Wow PY, I didn't know whether you stay on a level or not was determined by how many panels you flip. THAT's why I always drop from 6+ down to 1 if I lose. >_>

Although, I think I might have kept a level.. 3, after slipping one card to find Voltorb. Could be wrong though.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

PsychoYoshi

Quote from: K on April 05, 2010, 03:32:38 AM
Wow PY, I didn't know whether you stay on a level or not was determined by how many panels you flip. THAT's why I always drop from 6+ down to 1 if I lose. >_>

Although, I think I might have kept a level.. 3, after slipping one card to find Voltorb. Could be wrong though.

It might not be a perfect 1:1 relationship, but it is relatively close. If the first card that you flip is a Voltorb, it'll kick your ass back to Level 1 without exceptions. There might be a slight curve built in (maybe you only need 2 cards to maintain Level 3), but the general rule is still that the more number cards you have successfully revealed, the better, even if they're 1s.