News:

ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL.

Main Menu

My interpretation of The Mars Volta's "Bedlam in Goliath"

Started by Zovistograt, January 31, 2008, 07:46:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zovistograt

The Bedlam in Goliath by the Mars Volta is a story, so it should be treated as such.  After listening to the entire album multiple times, I have decided that it is the story of the most obvious sort: the story of David and Goliath.  However, it's no ordinary parable.  It is an epic rock opera of amazing proportions...but that is to be expected from TMV :P

So this rendition of the story of David and Goliath is a bit different...it has more to the story after the familiar "oh look I hit Goliath with a pebble now he's dead."  This is much deeper, and it focuses more on Goliath and his inner tempest.

Let's begin...keep in mind that this is MY INTERPRETATION and it may not be the right one at all :D

Characters:
David - a shepherd boy who sorta kills Goliath and becomes King of the Jews and all that.
Goliath - a really really really really really tall guy who has some issues.
The "Soothsayer" - Probably not his intended name but I'm using it for this.  Basically, he's the devilish force here.
God - ...yeah pretty much God, but not as forgiving as people might hope...

ABERINKULA: We begin with David mulling over his recent realization that he is to become great.  He does not think of himself as great, and is overwhelmed by his sudden need to become the "novice made to fight".  He is still not sure if Goliath should even be vanquished.  The idea of the living vs. the dead is also introduced here, which plagues the latter part of the story.

METATRON: God now comes into play, unleashing his reason and kinda arguing with David...it's the interaction that makes David a bit more confused and hardened at the same time.

ILYENA: David is now in a maelstrom of different ideas.  I'm...still not really sure about this one...

WAX SIMULACRA: David is preparing for the imminent climax of his fight with Goliath.  He is super pumped-up and seriously wants to do it...um...I think...D:

GOLIATH: Obviously, this is where David meets Goliath and, in a crusading moment, "kills" Goliath with a pebble from his sling.  Taken out of context, the song appears to be about the protagonist being drugged by something put in his drink, but that "drink" seems to be purely metaphorical in this case.

TOURNIQUET MAN: Here's where it starts getting good.  The "Soothsayer", as we call him, offers the dying Goliath a chance to save himself and gain immortality..."it's just the matter of the payment", as he describes expertly.  Devilish as this signing off of soul seems, Goliath starts to take the offer...but all is not right...

CAVALETTAS: I'm not sure, but this seems to be the last ditch reasoning with Goliath from God not to take this appealing offer.  God is warning Goliath that if Goliath turns on him, God will become his "epidemic", in which he will not be so lenient and forgiving.  Also, this song is freaking awesome.

AGADEZ: Goliath now poses his reasons for taking the Soothsayer's offer in a fury of passion, totally ignoring God.  And if God is the ruler of "time and space"...that's not a good idea imo...

ASKEPIOS: This is the scene where Goliath shockingly recieves his immortality.  The Soothsayer becomes increasingly dangerous-sounding, asking what Goliath brought to feed his appetite, but Goliath seems to be preoccupied by his own climax.  Looking back a second too late, he realizes that this may be a mistake.

OUROBOROUS: Obviously furious by Goliath's choice, God unleashes his fury on Goliath.  He reprimands a pleading Goliath and darns him to a life of sin, however eternal may be.  Also, this song is amazing.

SOOTHSAYER: This song seems to stretch from David and Goliath's time to perhaps more modern times...relatively speaking, of course.  As Goliath lives out his horrible eternal life, he goes more and more insane while the story with him as the bad guy circulates through what would become the very powerful Church, shown at the end of this track by the exerpt of what is presumably a high mass.

CONJUGAL BURNS: At present day, Goliath feels dazed, confused, distraught, and deeply disturbed.  His ultimate demise is never-ending, and he seriously goes insane.  Also, I am pretty sure that this would explain the front album art; Goliath, entirely out of place, is walking among an old world changed by time only by technology and creature comforts, such as umbrellas and satellite dishes and stuff like that.

*gasp*

In short, go buy this CD.  Even if you're not religious...although it sounds like it is very.  Really, I'm not very religious at all, but I don't care.  The Mars Volta is still my favorite modern rock band and they probably always will be.
"I lovat a gabber.  I could listen to maure and moravar again.  Regn onder river.  Flies do your float.  Thick is the life for mere." - James Joyce (Finnegans Wake, page 213)

OneManFreakShow

I stopped reading at Mars Volta.

I like their music, but what is with everyone's obsession with them?

major tom

In before this thread becomes the most popular one on the board (because it involves TMV)

I just plain don't 'get' the Mars Volta.

Zovistograt

Quote from: Co-Z on January 31, 2008, 09:19:41 PM
In before this thread becomes the most popular one on the board (because it involves TMV)

I just plain don't 'get' the Mars Volta.
It's simple: they are a one-of-a-kind acid-post-progressive-alternative-experimental-jazzy-whatever rock band that has insanely intricate lyrics and truly (if I may use the overused word) epic songs.
"I lovat a gabber.  I could listen to maure and moravar again.  Regn onder river.  Flies do your float.  Thick is the life for mere." - James Joyce (Finnegans Wake, page 213)

major tom

They're not too one of the kind.

They're more like, the modern Pink Floyd.