News:

UH SOMETHING BROKE HANG ON

Main Menu

The Happening

Started by Zovistograt, June 15, 2008, 07:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zovistograt

I just came back from seeing "The Happening," a decent horror/drama film about biological destruction of the human race and stuff like that.

Basically, it's one of those kinds of movie where something is happening (whoamg) and it gets harder and harder to avoid it, until you think for sure that there is no escape.  A good example of this is if you've read "Prey" by Michael Crichton.

Despite the movie being mainly a horror/drama, the dialogue is surprisingly humorous.  It's the kind of comic relief that gives uneasy or even at times massive lulz to let down your guard.

Spoilers time!
[spoiler]The ending was a bit of a disappointment, but really, they only had two options: do what they did and just say "omg it's over let's get on with our lives BUT IT'S STILL HAPPENING SOMEWHERE ELSE AAAAAA" or they could just nuke the entire east coast.  I'm guessing they didn't want to go the "let's destroy everything to end the story abruptly" route, so I can't see how it could have been any better.  It's more of a movie to watch, not anticipate the ending of.

In any case, this movie has a great moral: either stop screwing up the environment, or just stay away from plants and live in a metropolis with no parks.[/spoiler]

Bottom line: you should see this movie if...
-you like horror films that has something happening that is harder and harder to avoid
-you like horror films with a guy and a girl who are in love and a little girl that is helpless and stuff
-you enjoy seeing a crapload of suicides

Anyone else see it?  Your ideas?

oh yeah score: 6/10
good, but nothing superspectacular.
"I lovat a gabber.  I could listen to maure and moravar again.  Regn onder river.  Flies do your float.  Thick is the life for mere." - James Joyce (Finnegans Wake, page 213)

Silverhawk79

I'd like to see it, because it looks good, and I like most of M. Night Shamalamadingdong's movies, because of that twist at the end. That, and the thing with the guy throwing himself under the lawnmower that I saw in the red band (R-rated) trailers was deliciously disturbing. <3

Zovistograt

Quote from: Silverhawk79 on June 15, 2008, 07:45:33 PM
I'd like to see it, because it looks good, and I like most of M. Night Shamalamadingdong's movies, because of that twist at the end. That, and the thing with the guy throwing himself under the lawnmower that I saw in the red band (R-rated) trailers was deliciously disturbing. <3
Yeah, the lawnmower was the second-best suicide.  Best was the old lady.
"I lovat a gabber.  I could listen to maure and moravar again.  Regn onder river.  Flies do your float.  Thick is the life for mere." - James Joyce (Finnegans Wake, page 213)

Jono2

i heard people talking about this at school... they said it was really cheesy and dumb. o_O

Quote from: LinkXLR on January 30, 2008, 09:10:54 PM
Quote from: famy on January 30, 2008, 08:36:30 PM
is big willy unleashed a will smith game

...I'm not even gonna touch this one.

SteamID: Lazylen

Zovistograt

Quote from: Jono2 on June 16, 2008, 12:06:36 PM
i heard people talking about this at school... they said it was really cheesy and dumb. o_O
It was ridiculously cheesy at times.

At one point, when there was actually some suspense, someone screamed in the back row "OHMYGAWDOHMYGAWDOHMYGAWD" and everyone burst out laughing.  It was the kind of mood a movie like this puts you in.