News:

UH SOMETHING BROKE HANG ON

Main Menu

New York Anime Festival

Started by Zovistograt, September 27, 2008, 08:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zovistograt

I just came back from 12 hours of extreme anime insanity.  I am on a crazy otaku high right now so here we go ^_^

STUFF THAT WENT DOWN:
-Hare Hare Yukai all day, right when you walk in

-Absolutely amazing cosplay, lots of gothic loli, Naruto (that's a given), and some really notable ones...like the 15-foot-tall No Face from Spirited Away.  I had a danceoff with it(?).

-Screenings, panels...Anime News Network was there and gave away free stuff.  I got a free Konata Figma.  Oh yes.

-Anonymous basically took over.  There were a ton of people in Guy Fawkes masks and one with a boombox playing what I think was the album "Lulz: A Corruption of LOL".  There was someone dressed up as Pedobear, there were tons of shops that carried 4chan and Anonymous shirts, and there was even one joke exhibition that consisted of /b/-style images that contained major spoilers (and some that were just funny).  People also yelled out random memes (as did the MC) for the cosplay contest which was the highlight of the night.

-Speaking of the cosplay contest, I must say, what stole the show was when one of the cosplay acts broke apart when the male lead went out of character and kneeled to the female lead and pulled out a ring.  Freaking proposed on stage.  In costume.  She said yes :3  Other high moments were a hilarious and well-done Anti-Sora thing and when a cosplay troupe Rickrolled us.

-Tons of furries, if you were wondering.  Multiple stores sold furry stuff, all the entrance staff had ears, and the guy organizing the huge line to get in also had a fluffy tail.

-Rie Tanaka showed up and sang stuff.  Awesome, considering she wasn't supposed to be there until tomorrow.

-etc. etc. I could go on but I won't D:

I bought liek $100 worth of crap, including a Hatsune Miku shirt which is awesome and a Haruhi armband and a Haruhi Nendoroid and two Lucky Star randomly-assorded mini figurines (I got their teacher for both of them olol) and LED finger lights which I did Caramelldansen with other crazy people in the middle of the exhibition floor with.   Works well.

One more thing.

THE LOLITA FASHION SHOW FEATURING--*is sworded*
unless you were actually there, you wouldn't get the joke D:
"I lovat a gabber.  I could listen to maure and moravar again.  Regn onder river.  Flies do your float.  Thick is the life for mere." - James Joyce (Finnegans Wake, page 213)

Midna_the_Imp

Yay! ^_^ It sounds like you had lots of fun! :D

Kaso

This is something us west coast people may never get. :c
Far too epic.

Riosan

Don't live in NY, couldn't care less.

I think anime conventions are just the stupidest things on earth: a bunch of people get together to circlejerk about TV shows and how they aren't in Japan.
[21:51]   <Smashin>   No one likes a sad fat kid.
[21:51]   Mystic has left #nsider (Leaving.)

Beatnik

I thought about going with my cousin, but I decided against it. I'm not quite obsessed enough.
"I like cigarettes, Mrs. Taggart. I like to think of fire held in a man's hand. Fire, a dangerous force, tamed at his fingertips. I often wonder about the hours when a man sits alone, watching the smoke of a cigarette, thinking. I wonder what great things have come from such hours. When a man thinks, there is a spot of fire alive in his mind-and it is proper that he should have the burning point of a cigarette as his one expression..."

Zovistograt

Quote from: Riosan on September 28, 2008, 05:03:07 AM
Don't live in NY, couldn't care less.

I think anime conventions are just the stupidest things on earth: a bunch of people get together to circlejerk about TV shows and how they aren't in Japan.
haha...that describes an anime club in a high school or college, not a convention.
"I lovat a gabber.  I could listen to maure and moravar again.  Regn onder river.  Flies do your float.  Thick is the life for mere." - James Joyce (Finnegans Wake, page 213)

Nayrman

I just went to Anime Weekend Atlanta last weekend, freakin awesome. *my impressions are on my youtube channel*
Those things are so much fun.
There was a pedo-bear at AWA too XD

Zovistograt

Quote from: Nayrman on September 28, 2008, 09:32:33 AM
I just went to Anime Weekend Atlanta last weekend, freakin awesome. *my impressions are on my youtube channel*
just the head or full-body?

Nayrman

Quote from: Zovistograt on September 28, 2008, 11:18:38 AM
full body...it was quite funny.
Where there any Jokers at yours? There were like ten at mine. Best costume I saw was this really well done King DDD. It's amazing how many smash characters there were...tons of links and a really good Sheik.

Did they have the usual "Lame anime" and "anime hell" type stuff? Those are always hilarious (Dr. Tran will FUCK YOU UP!)

Zovistograt

Quote from: Nayrman on September 28, 2008, 11:36:56 AM
Where there any Jokers at yours? There were like ten at mine. Best costume I saw was this really well done King DDD. It's amazing how many smash characters there were...tons of links and a really good Sheik.

Did they have the usual "Lame anime" and "anime hell" type stuff? Those are always hilarious (Dr. Tran will FUCK YOU UP!)
I only saw one Joker, actually, and it was a girl, oddly.

I'm not sure what you mean, unless you're talking about those booths that sell tons of Internet meme shirts.  And there were a lot of those.

Nayrman

Quote from: Zovistograt on September 28, 2008, 01:04:51 PM
Quote from: Nayrman on September 28, 2008, 11:36:56 AM

Did they have the usual "Lame anime" and "anime hell" type stuff? Those are always hilarious (Dr. Tran will f*** YOU UP!)
I only saw one Joker, actually, and it was a girl, oddly.

I'm not sure what you mean, unless you're talking about those booths that sell tons of Internet meme shirts.  And there were a lot of those.
I meant stuff where they show the lame anime that do the dumbest things...
some I saw in "Lame Anime":
Odin, "Blarg Dog" (a human voices dog noises...sounds horrible), an emo dracula and Frankenstein commits suicide!
They were all hilariously bad.
Anime Hell was similar to AMV Hell if you've ever seen any of those

Tupin

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

Zovistograt

I finally took pics of the stuff I got.

Everything, more or less.  The lights on my fingers are LED Finger Lights.  The red one is on the table.  It keeps falling apart.  Another notable thing is the Hatsune Miku shirt I'm wearing (two of my friends also bought it and wore it today ^_^).

Figurines, left to right:
mini-Nendoroid Nanako.  Randomly assorted.
Haruhi Nendoroid.  <3 it
Konata Figma.  Got it free courtesy of Anime News Network panel.  :3
another randomly assorted LS figurine...Nanako again!  It's a sign :O

Better pic of shirt + armband.  Notice I put the armband on upside-down this time.  Meh.

Java

I was gonna ask what the armband was because it reminded me of something else, but I saw the bottom picture.

Silly_Penguin

Cool, one of my friends went there and said it was awesome. Also, that's  a bunch of cool stuff!