News:

UH SOMETHING BROKE HANG ON

Main Menu

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective

Started by Tupin, January 04, 2011, 04:10:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tupin

It comes out later next week, in case you haven't played the demo, it's on the Nintendo Channel or right here:

http://www.gamespot.com/misc/presentations/ghost-trick/FlashGameTest_en.swf

Basically, you are dead and you must use your soul to change the fates of people by possessing objects to change the acts of people. Here's what happens in the Wii demo, which has a different story than the real game.

You start off in a telephone. A girl walks by and reaches up for her headphones, fumbling with them over a fish tank. In this time, you are supposed to move to a nearby umbrella to push the headphones in the water. Then you go to a cart, up a Christmas tree, open a secret compartment with a present and finally set off the motorized ornament so she'll notice the present. If you didn't knock her headphones in the water, she won't hear it and you'll fail the objective.

So yeah, it's like that, but with semi-serious writing like Phoenix Wright. Day one purchase for me.

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

The Riddler

So, though I didn't post, I did play the Demo you posted the day you posted it. I got interested in it, and ended up getting* the game a week ago.
Played it obsessively, just finished it about 10 minutes ago.

Few things. For starters, it was a fantastic game and I never would have thought to try it if you didn't post. Thank you. The storytelling style is JUST like Phoenix Wright, but that's not a bad thing in the slightest. The story itself was, though a little hard to follow at times, wonderful. The characters were, in my opinion, all memorable, especially Missile. Even though you have the ability to "redo" as many times as you want, the game kept me on my toes and moving quickly around the levels. My blood was pumping trying to do stuff.

Dislikes: For some reason, I'm not satisfied with the ending nor the "twist" that comes with it. I can't see a second game following it, and just like the Phoenix Wright games, there is no replay value to it. I also can't imagine there being a sequel to it, but to explain that would require spoilers.

Ending thoughts in spoilers:
[spoiler]So, basically, you go back 10 years in the past because Yomiel was a "fresh" corpse, even though he'd been technically dead 10 years. You save him from his death, and thus the entire events of the game didn't happen. ...seems like a cop-out to me, even if it did end on a feel good note. Ray being Missile and Sissel being the black cat I did like, however. But with Sissel being the black cat, it was explained that he THOUGHT he was Yomiel because he could only see Yomiel's body... if this were a 3D world, this explanation would be ludicrous. Though the whole game was from a 2D perspective,  I felt as if it was believable that the characters could see from a 3D perspective. Kind of felt weird for me. And what happened to the piece of Temsik in Jowd's leg?[/spoiler]

Why I can't imagine a sequel:
[spoiler]First off, the way the game ended, none of the events during the game happened at all and everyone lives happily ever after, even the main antagonist from the game. You can't really follow that with a new conflict. As for using ghosts to manipulate poop with new characters... well, it was explained that the only reason Yomiel, Sissel, and Missle had "Ghost Tricks" was because they died while near Temsik, a meteorite that crashed in the Park. ...how many people could possibly be killed near that meteor while still maintaining a plausible storyline? Unless somehow the shard in Jowd's leg gets used, I just don't see it as working out.[/spoiler]

Bearissoslow

it was all right i guess but nothing amazingly perfect. it got an extra star for the good music but the plot got a little contrived at the end.

seriously, a intercourse ing cat?