News:

Change is coming. HOPE CHANGE UNITY

Main Menu

advice on my main? (spoiler, I guess)

Started by ssbmfan5, February 10, 2008, 07:38:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neerb

Puh-leez:  "Tourney Playerz?"  If they're really that good, then they should be able to use stage enviorments, items, and FS to their advantage, not just whine about them cause their opponents can use them too.

Dawei

Quote from: Smash Bro 25 on February 11, 2008, 04:27:23 AM
Puh-leez:  "Tourney Playerz?"  If they're really that good, then they should be able to use stage enviorments, items, and FS to their advantage, not just whine about them cause their opponents can use them too.
What a beautiful argument. It definitely hasn't been used millions of times, and then ripped to shreds.

Why are items and poopty stages like that banned? Quite simply, it gives  the other player an unfair advantage. If you are a way better player, but your opponent continuously item camps in the cave of life so you can not kill him, does that make him better? By your stupid logic, it sure does.

If I want to play a match to determine skill, no one should be allowed an unfair advantage such as an FS or some type of item. Items spawning near you is luck. Luck /=/ skill.

Oh, and get this. It isn't all Final destination. Want to know a tourney legal stage? Poke floats. With that in mind, any one who actually says tourneys are all about flat, boring stages, should gtfo.

tollhouse2006

Quote from: Dawei on February 11, 2008, 08:11:24 AM
What a beautiful argument. It definitely hasn't been used millions of times, and then ripped to shreds.

Why are items and poopty stages like that banned? Quite simply, it gives  the other player an unfair advantage. If you are a way better player, but your opponent continuously item camps in the cave of life so you can not kill him, does that make him better? By your stupid logic, it sure does.

If I want to play a match to determine skill, no one should be allowed an unfair advantage such as an FS or some type of item. Items spawning near you is luck. Luck /=/ skill.

Oh, and get this. It isn't all Final destination. Want to know a tourney legal stage? Poke floats. With that in mind, any one who actually says tourneys are all about flat, boring stages, should gtfo.
Smash Bros  is all about pressure.   You should be ready for the worst.  I could understand not putting items on very high but skilled players should still fight on cheap stages.  You can't conquer the game unless you master everything.  I agree btw that players who only use items are losers but you should still suck it up and face them head on.  Big deal they got an advantage.  Simplifying the stages to flat courses with no items isn't going to make the game fun.
Friend Code: 2622-1690-4267  Finally have wifi

Dawei

Quote from: tollhouse2006 on February 11, 2008, 02:11:36 PM
Quote from: Dawei on February 11, 2008, 08:11:24 AM

Smash Bros  is all about pressure.   You should be ready for the worst.  I could understand not putting items on very high but skilled players should still fight on cheap stages.  You can't conquer the game unless you master everything.  I agree btw that players who only use items are losers but you should still suck it up and face them head on.  Big deal they got an advantage.  Simplifying the stages to flat courses with no items isn't going to make the game fun.
Yes, you need to pressure your opponent into screwing up and punishing it. That IS smashbrothers, whether it is at a casual level or a professional level. I happen to know a real, professional player, and one his big things is pressuring the opponent so they must think quickly or get attacked, or if they think wrong, they also get attacked.

Why play on cheap stages? So whoever is using the faster character gets to the advantage position and can completely dominate with little effort? Does that really show skill? Giving someone an advantage destroys skill. And no, I don't want to hear "Well if they are really skilled they should be able to nullify their advantage." What if it is the top two players in the world? The skill difference isn't large enough to make it so the other person has a fighting chance.

There is also the fact that you can not turn off capsules and boxes. If you could turn those off, there is a higher chance items would be allowed. When you are comboing some one with something kickass, and an exploding capsule spawns right between you and your opponent and you F-smash and die, does that mean he is more skilled than you? I highly think not.

Finally, did you even read the last paragraph? POKEFLOATS IS TOURNAMENT LEGAL. That right there anally violates anything you will ever have to say about flat stages only. And for it not being fun, you are so very, very wrong. It's the common "smash noob" belief. Playing tournament style all the time isn't fun. That is because you play with your same group of friends over and over again, not caring who wins or lose, or whatever. I play tournament style 99.99% of the time and it is fun every single time. Just the environment of tourneys, as well as the players, makes the game fun.