News:

<+Clu> im 100% nigga

Main Menu

Super Mario Bros. 4: The Double Agent

Started by shadowmarioguy, October 04, 2007, 02:21:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadowmarioguy

Chapter 14: Perfect Chaos

"Mario, believe it or not, you now have amazing ice powers."  Skulleon took a deep breath.  "It's already happening."

"What's happening?" Mario parroted.

"Just look at you," replied Skulleon, "you're the hero you were months ago.  You challenged Metal Mario, putting your life at risk.  And now, you're doing it yet again.  You can no longer deny the position of a hero."

"Thanks, Skulleon.  It means a lot to me."

"No need to thank me; I'm only doing my job.  Your ice powers; they're just what you need to beat Chaos.  When you feel deep emotions for your friends, the true potential of your powers will awaken.  Emotions such as love for them, fear of them dieing, and courage to help them.  Remember my words: Be calm, be courageous, and never be afraid to do what's right."

http://www.freewebs.com/link2370/magmoor.mid

"As much as I enjoy watching you three tremble in fear, I was hoping we can finish this battle today!" Chaos snapped impatiently.

Luigi, Wario, and Waluigi were shaking in their boots.  Chaos had tossed Wario aside without showing any sign of effort.  What would happen when Chaos was actually trying to beat them.  Suddenly, it occurred to Luigi that Chaos might not be so tough if his opponents were behind him.  It sure looked tough for him to turn around that quickly.  Feeling a bit more brave, Luigi tossed a Fireball at Chaos. 

"Are you crazy?!  He's gonna' kill us now!" Wario shouted.

"Follow me!" Luigi called back, running toward Chaos's back side.

Hmm... I think I'll kill the fat one first.  He'll never expect it!, Chaos thought to himself. 

Luigi passed under Chaos to his back, followed by Luigi.  Wario waddled as fast as he could, but as soon as he got under Chaos, he slammed down on Wario, crushing him.

"Don't worry, he's not dead yet!  I'm sure he'll still be good for a plumber pancake!"  Chaos cackled as he swiftly turned around.  "What's a matter, your plan didn't work out too well?  It's okay, everyone has to die some time.  Just like your ignorant brother!"

"For your information, my brother's on his way back right now!"  Luigi shot back.

"Yeah, sure, and I'm going over to the Easter Bunny's house later for tea!  Ahahahahahahahahahaha!"

"Grr...  I have to shut him up!  He's driving me crazy!  And his jokes are terrible!" Waluigi roared. 

"I have an idea," Luigi whispered while Chaos was still laughing, "just give me the Cyber Star.  And then...  Got it?"  Waluigi nodded.

"Okay, skinny dude, hand it over," Chaos demanded.

"Sure," Waluigi complied, "here you go!!"  Waluigi shot a large, purple Fireball at Chaos.  It hit his middle eye, and the impact of the Fireball caused a shockwave that hit his other eyes.

"Curse you!  I can't see!  But as soon as I can, I'll make sure I kill you!!"

"Darn it!" Waluigi cursed.  "That was my strongest Fireball."

Luigi sprinted away while Waluigi hid behind a tall palm tree.  He waited in suspense for a few minutes and decided that he would risk a glance.  But before he got the chance the top of the palm tree was sliced into pieces, and Waluigi saw Chaos floating above him.  A strong tentacle grabbed him and tossed him forcefully into the ground.

"Now, for the last time, give me the Cyber Star!" Chaos commanded.

"I w- would..." Waluigi answered, on the ground in agony, "But I don't h- have it."

"So, you gave it to the green one and he ran away.  I'll be sure to find him."

"I'm right here!" Luigi screeched.  "I'm tired of running.  If you want the Cyber Star, you- ack!"

Luigi's 'speech' was put to a halt by Chaos.  A strong tentacle wrapped around Luigi's throat.  "That wasn't very nice.  You didn't let me have the last Cyber Star, so you forced me to take it from you."

Luigi fell to the ground, still unable to breathe.  Chaos's grip on Luigi's throat tightened.  "Since I'm feeling kind, I'll let you live.  But only so I can kill you in my perfect form!"

Chaos released Luigi and surrounded himself by the seven Cyber Stars.  He absorbed them all at once and began to grow, and grow, and grow.  Soon, he was taller than any of the buildings in Koopa Village.  He was now the same god of destruction that he was created as.  He was an enormous, snake-like creature with a mouth that extended far beyond its two piercing green eyes.  At the base of its body was a dark vortex.  Water was rapidly flowing out of it, covering the ground of the entire kingdom with a foot of water.  Perfect Chaos was born.

shadowmarioguy

Chapter 15: Just Made It

"Whoa, that's strange!" a green man in a cape exclaimed.  He was staring at his computer monitor, looking very puzzled.

"What is it?" inquired a robotic voice.

"I just picked up readings from Metal Mario.  There is also a high energy reading in the Mushroom Kingdom.  I think it could be... Chaos," the green one replied.

"What are you two babbling about?!" a voice thundered from afar.  Seconds later, a tall, robed man stepped in.  The darkness of the room hid most of the features on his face, and the robe covered his entire body.

"Well... Metal Mario and Chaos are alive."

"Hmm... Maybe that 'hero' didn't defeat Metal Mario after all.  And Chaos has escaped from his resting place..." His face curled into a wide smile.  "We could use this to our advantage.  Soon, our 'hero' problem will no longer exist!"

"Well Mario, so long!"

"Bye!  Wish me luck!" Mario called back to Skulleon.

"Wait.  Before I bring you back to your world, I need to warn you.  If you ever get near a man named 'Lord Shade', stay away from him at all costs.  His power is greater than anyone elses.  None who rivaled against him have ever succeeded.  Luckily, I think he's decided to leave us all alone.  After Chaos is beaten, all of your troubles should be over."

"I'll keep that in mind.  Whenever you're ready, take me back to the Mushroom Kingdom."

Abruptly, Skulleon shot a green blast at Mario.  He materialized and slowly drifted away.

Finally, Luigi could breathe again.  He was back on his feet in no time, only to see Chaos in his perfect form destroying Koopa Village.

"Leave these people alone!"  Luigi commanded.

"You're in no position to be giving me orders, little man.  Before I kill you, I think I'll have some fun with you!"

Chaos shot four whirlwinds from his base.  They went straight for Luigi, who dived out of the way.   Chaos fired another one, which took Luigi by surprise.  It shot him upward toward Chaos's mouth.  A huge energy beam fired out of it, sending Luigi flying into the wet ground.

"I- I can't beat him.  We're doomed..."  Luigi lay lifelessly on the ground.  Water rushed past him and brushed through his hair.  His clothes were soaking wet at this point.

Just then, Mario materialized right next to his brother.  "You okay, bro?" Mario asked softly, kneeling down next to Luigi.

"M- Mario?  It's a miracle..." Luigi said hoarsely.  "Bro, he hurt Wario and Waluigi severely.  You need to stop Chaos.  P- Please..."

"Just relax.  Everything's gonna' be okay.  I'm here now, and it's my turn to fight Chaos."  Mario stood up again and turned to Chaos.  "You!  Are you responsible for this?!"

"Is that... Mario?" Chaos wondered aloud.  "Oh yeah, I did all this.  Your brother insisted that you would be here, right before I almost choked him to death.  Of course, I wanted to kill him in my perfect form.  I get to kill you too?  What a treat!"

"Grr... I've had enough of you!  You talk too much," Mario snapped.  "You brag about everything you do, even though you're nothing more than a weakling.  Someone who hurts other people for personal gain."

"Why you!  I'll kill you for that!"

"Of course you will.  You kill everyone you don't like!  That's all about to change!  I'm one opponent you'll never beat!"

Chaos angrily fired clusters of yellow and pink energy blasts at Mario.  Mario froze them all with a giant Iceball and deflected them.  Furious, Chaos summoned a colossal whirlpool and sent it right at Mario!  But instead of getting out of the way, Mario put his hands out.  The whirlpool hit Mario dead on, and he seemed to disappear inside of it.  Just as Chaos thought he had won, the whirlpool froze and shattered into tiny fragments.  Mario stood there, smirking.

"This battle's over.  I won," Mario stated.  "Go back inside the Shadow Shrine where you belong."

"Never!!"

"Fine.  I'll finish this myself."  Mario charged an Iceball in his right palm.  He darted toward Chaos and gave him his strongest Ice Punch.  Chaos shrieked in terror as he froze and then broke apart into mere icicles.  Mario's attack wiped out most of his energy, causing him to doze off shortly after his victory. 

Bowser and Kammy came running down the ruined village.  Hurriedly, they grabbed Mario and left.

shadowmarioguy

Chapter 16: Possessed By Darkness

Luigi, Peach, and E. Gadd were all sitting at a round table, sipping hot cocoa.  After Chaos was destroyed, a rescue team had found Luigi, Wario, and Waluigi.  The Wario Bros. were rushed to a hospital, while Luigi's injuries were not serious enough for hospitalization.  Instead, he returned to Peach's Castle to tell the tale of how Chaos was beaten.

"Hmm... Are you quite sure?" E. Gadd asked with a puzzled look on his face.

"Positive," Luigi affirmed. 

Peach could tell by the look on Luigi's face that Mario wasn't okay.  "For some reason, I'm having trouble believing you," Peach sighed.  "If Mario beat Chaos, then were is he now?  The entire rescue team is out there, and they still haven't found him.  Are you absolutely sure that Mario beat him?"

Luigi nodded.

"Well, I don't see any reason for him to lie," E. Gadd stated.  "I'm sure the rescue team isn't looking for a dead man.  But if Mario is alive, then we need to find him.  The water level outside is still about of foot high, which is enough to drown in if your unconscious."

Mario was lying on an examination table.  The ordinary kind that you'd see at in a doctor's office.  His arms and legs were strapped down, and special 'element proof' gloves replaced his normal ones.  Mario sat up as best as he could and groggily scanned his surroundings. 

He was in a small, square room with tools everywhere.  They were hanging on the walls, and resting on the floor in large heaps.  There were scalpels of all sizes, wrenches, and the kind of gloves that Mario had on.  He grimaced at the thought of his captor using them.  That was when he realized that he couldn't escape.

He threw himself into a panic.  Mario desperately tried to shake himself free.  He attempted to free himself with a Fireball, but it was no use.  He was trapped.

"Hello, my incompetent nemesis," Bowser greeted him with an unfriendly smile as he walked in.  "Wonderin' where you are, aren't you?"

Kammy entered right behind him, and smirked wickedly at Mario.  "We have a wonderful surprise for you today!" she exclaimed.  "You'll love it!"

"Let me go!"  Mario spat.  "You know I could easily beat you!"

Bowser picked up a scalpel from the ground and held it close to Mario's throat.  "I could kill you, but what I have for you to experience is much, much worse," he said through his sharp teeth. 

Kammy pointed to a small chamber in the corner that Mario had not noticed before.  Slowly, she wheeled him into it.  Mario was struggling to resist the entire time, but his efforts finally gave out.  The chamber was a tall, purple machine with a glass slider door. 

Kammy closed Mario in and pressed a few buttons.  A red haze filled the innards of the machine, and Mario was forced to inhale them.  After the haze died out, Kammy took Mario out.  He was completely cataleptic.

"Let's get him back to his house before he wakes up.  He'll think this was all a bad dream."

shadowmarioguy

Chapter 17: The Prime Suspect is...

Lightning flashed.  Thunder crackled.  Mario sat up straight and let out a cry that weaved throughout the Mario Bros.' house.  Upstairs, Luigi nearly fell out of his bed.

"What was that?!" he bellowed in fright.  "That almost sounded like..."  Immediately he slipped out of bed, snatched a flashlight from the top of his dresser, and turned on with a click.   

He slowly opened his door.  Crrrrrrrreak.  Luigi shrieked and stumbled backward, falling onto his bed.  Hesitantly, he pointed the flashlight toward the open door, cutting through the impending darkness.  He got back up and crept over toward the exit of his own room.

You can do this Luigi, he thought, don't be a coward.  He turned a corner toward the staircase that lead to Mario's room.  As soon as he started his way down, he slipped and tumbled the rest of the way.  During his fall he had dropped his flashlight, which had shattered.  Darkness slammed in front of Luigi's face like a brick wall.

Don't worry about it.  You're already next to the door that leads to Mario's room.  Luigi got back up and staggered toward the door he knew so well.  After he bumped into a wooden door, he groped for the door knob.  At last, he found it.  He turned it and pushed the door open.  There, in the middle of his room, was Mario.

Peach's Castle was completely blocked off by yellow tape.  Several messages that said 'Halt, crime investigation is taking place here ' and 'Do not cross under penalty of law' were printed on the tape. 

"What do you think it means, bro?" Luigi asked, puzzled.

"I don't know, but I hope Peach is okay," Mario replied glumly.

"I'm fine," Peach responded, coming from seemingly nowhere, "but I'm afraid Toadsworth isn't."

"What do you mean?!" Mario thundered, although he already had an idea of what the response would be.

"Last night, there was an intruder.  He wanted to kidnap me, but Toadsworth kept him out of my bedroom.  He called the Mushroom Guards just before he was murdered, but by the time they got to the scene, the perpetrator escaped."

"I'm sorry.  I should've been there to stop him!" Mario screamed.

Luigi put a hand on Mario's shoulder.  "Don't worry; I'm sure we'll find the culprit."

"I hope so," Peach stated hopefully, "we should search for evidence."

No matter how hard they tried, nothing could be found.  The criminal must've been slick.  After looking for fingerprints, footprints, blood, and weapons, the three were worn out.  They decided to go around Toad Town asking for information. 

"I think I'm getting heat stroke," Mario complained.  "Can I go back to our house and get some rest?"

"Sure bro, Peach and I will finish asking people for info."

With that, Mario walked back toward his comfy home.

"It sure is weird how you said you found Mario in his bed in the middle of the night," Peach proclaimed.

"Yeah, I heard him scream in the middle of the night.  I went down to investigate and found him.  I asked him how he got back, and he claimed that he didn't know.  It sure is a mystery."

Peach glanced around, looking for anyone they hadn't already talked to.  That's when she saw a tall, thin Toad wearing a black pants and a grey vest running directly at her.  "Luigi!  Look!"

He immediately noticed the strange Toad and got between him and Peach.  Luigi shot a Fireball at the criminal, but he leaped high into the air, dodging it.  While airborne the Toad tackled Luigi to the ground.  They rolled around in the dirt for a minute until Luigi emerged victorious.  He put his foot on top of the Toad's body so he couldn't escape.  Peach called for help.

"What's the problem, Peach?" an officer asked.

"This man darted straight toward me.  Luckily, Luigi defeated him before he could harm me."

"I also have reason to believe that this is the intruder that broke into Peach's Castle last night and killed Toadsworth," Luigi added.

"I'll take him to the station and have him checked out.  Have a nice day, your highness."

shadowmarioguy

Chapter 18: A Dreadful Discovery

"Stop squirming!  Cut it out!" the guard snapped.  He dragged the handcuffed convict into the police station.

"Let me go!!" the Toad shouted, ignoring the guard's command.

With the help of his comrades, the Mushroom Sentry strapped the criminal to an uncomfortable, metal chair.  The chief stepped in, casually walked to his desk, and sat down.  He folded his hands on his desk and waited.

"Chief, sir, this rugged looking Toad attacked the princess."

"Ah," he replied, "were you the one who murdered Toadsworth?"

No reply.

"And are you, perhaps, working for Bowser?!" the chief inquired, his face beginning to turn red.

"Why would I be working for Bowser?  I'm just a calm, laid back, peace-loving Toad!"

"Yes, well, we'll see about that.  After we run some tests, we'll find out if you are responsible for invading Mushroom Castle or not."

"Bye Peach!  I have to check on Mario to see if he's okay!" Luigi called out as he dashed back toward his house.

Toad Town wasn't particularly crowded that day.  It seemed hard to find anyone to talk to, and if you did, they would hurriedly run off to their home.  Everyone was afraid of the crook that entered Mushroom Castle.  Even if he was in jail, he could escape and try to kidnap Peach again.  At last, Luigi reached to green, rusty pipe that lead to his home.

"Mario!" he called as he emerged from the pipe.  "Mario?!  Are you okay?!"  Luigi noticed that the front door was ajar.  He crept up the steps and peered through the opening.  Mario was talking on the phone.

"I'm sorry!  No, no one has figured it out yet.  No!  That fool called for help!  I couldn't just- What?  Okay.  Bye!"

Luigi gasped.  He didn't know what to do.  Silently, he fabricated a plan.  Luigi stood up straight, casually opened the door, and spoke in a relaxed tone, "So, who were you on the phone with?"

"Oh, no one really," Mario replied sheepishly.

"So, who didn't figure what out yet?" Luigi inquired.

"Umm... The police!  They didn't figure out who committed the crime yet!"

Luigi sighed.  "What fool called for help?"

Mario crossed his arms impatiently.  "Well, Peach did.  I wouldn't have called for help; I would've helped you myself.  You could've been killed!  What was she thinking?!"

"Okay, just asking.  I didn't want to sound like a cop or anything."

"It's fine.  You have a reason to ask those questions.  You are my brother, after all."

Luigi went to bed early that night.  He needed some rest.  Could Mario be the culprit?  Nah, I believe him.  He's saved the kingdom too many times to betray us.  And he explained the phone call to me.  I shouldn't suspect my own brother to be a killer.

The next morning, Mario and Luigi got up around 9:00 AM.  They sat at the kitchen table, drank some coffee, and watched the news.

"Just last night, a second crime has happened at Peach's sacred castle.  This time, the perpetrator got a hold of Peach, and almost took her away.  However, Peach was able to free herself and call for help.  The convict has gotten away yet again."

"Wow, some news report, huh bro?" Luigi stated.  "Do you think that criminal I caught the other day was related to this crime?"

"Hmm... I'd say-" Mario was cut off by the telephone.  He took it off the hook and answered it.  "Bowser?  What, oh, this is the guard Luigi saw yesterday?  What?!  The crook you caught has nothing to do with either of the crimes at Mushroom Castle?!  Yeah...  Bye."

Luigi nearly fell out of his seat.  "We have a serious mystery on our hands, and we need to solve it before it's too late."

shadowmarioguy

Chapter 19: Peach and Mario are Missing

"What do we do now?" Luigi inquired, looking very frightened.  "I thought that the Toad was the culprit for sure."

"I don't know..." Mario replied dreamily.  He sat back on the couch and stared at the ceiling.

KNOCK! KNOCK! 

"Who could that be?"

Luigi jogged over to the front door and opened it.  To his surprise, the unexpected guest was Peach.

"What are you doing here?"

"I came to stay here for the day.  It's way too dangerous at Mushroom Castle."

"While you're here," Mario intervened, "why don't you tell us what you can about the perpetrator.  After all, he nearly kidnapped you." 

Peach took a seat on the couch and shut her eyes.  She was deep in thought, trying to recall the life threatening events that had taken place.  "I remember seeing... The color red.  Maybe the red dot on a Toad's hat?  I also noticed that convict was taller than the average Toad, but not like a toothpick either."

"That's not very nice-" Mario bit his lip.  "Well... Never mind that.  I guess if he tried to kidnap you, we could at least make fun of him."

Nothing particularly interesting happened after that.  The three spent the rest of the day watching tv and playing board games.  Around 5:00 PM, Mario stood up and claimed that he would go to Mushroom Castle and see if anything strange would happen.

"I hope he doesn't get hurt," Peach whispered.

Mario trotted along the path through Toad Town all the way to the Mushroom Gates.  A tall guard in metal armor blocked his way.

"Hey, can I go in?  I want to see if I can find any evidence."

"No.  I'm afraid you can't," the guard replied firmly.

"Oh... But I was going to see if the criminal shows up so I can catch him."

"Very well then.  But if something suspicious happens, you will be the number one suspect."  The sentry stepped aside to let Mario in.

Mario dashed inside and up the red carpeted stairs.  He made several twists and turns, but he finally got to Peach's room.  The entire castle was deserted.  Peach wasn't there, so all of the Toads that stayed inside went home.  So no one noticed Mario come in.  No one noticed Bowser standing in the middle of Peach's room.  No one except for Mario.

Luigi slept with ease that night.  It was because Peach had relocated, which meant that the kidnapper would have trouble finding her.  She would be safe.  That's what he thought, anyway, until he got up.  Luigi's rushed frantically around the house, looking for Peach.

"Peach!  Peach?!  Where are you?!" he called.  At last, he noticed that Mario was gone as well.  Luigi snatched the phone and dialed 9-1-1.  "Help!  This is Luigi.  Mario and Peach have gone missing!!"

shadowmarioguy

Chapter 20: Could it Be?

"Now, explain everything again," the Police Toad commanded in a gruff voice.  "Clearly this time, please."

Luigi shuddered.  "I hate trying to recall events of a crime, but I have no choice.  Yesterday, Mario left the house and claimed that he would visit Peach's Castle.  He wanted to find evidence."

"What time?"

Luigi shut his eyes tightly.  Yesterday flashed through his head like a storyboard.  "Around five o' clock."

"Did you see Mario since that time?"

"No."

The Toad thought for a moment.  "What about Peach?  When was the last time you saw her?"

"Right before I went to sleep," Luigi replied crisply, "which was at about ten o' clock.  At that time, Peach was still up.  She was watching something on TV.  I remember getting up around eleven to go to the bathroom, and I didn't notice her anywhere.  But since I was tired, I didn't pay attention to the fact that she was gone."

"Ah, so the criminal had to act between five and eleven o' clock.  Thanks for the info; I'm sure the chief will be able to narrow things down."

The chief Toad sat at his desk.  He was stroking his chin with one hand, and tapping on the desk's wooden surface with the other.

"Chief, sir, I have some information regarding the 'big' crime."

"Let's here it," the chief replied impatiently.

"Well... Mario and Peach were kidnapped separately between five and eleven PM yesterday.  One went missing at Mushroom Castle, the other at the Mario Bros. house."

The chief sat up and glanced around the room nervously.  He spoke in a hushed tone.  "Which one went missing at Mushroom Castle?"

"Mario."

The chief swallowed hard.  "We noticed that Bowser's large footprints were engraved in the castle's wooden floor.  Due to additional info, we discovered that Bowser must have entered the castle just before five o' clock."

"You mean it was Bowser the whole time?!"

"No, I'm afraid not."

"Where am I?!" Peach screamed.  She looked around and instantaneously knew where she was.  She knew this place all too well.  Peach was in Bowser's Keep, locked up tightly.

"Ah, you're finally awake.  How you slept through your kidnapping, I don't know," Bowser chuckled.

"Well I don't know how you fit your fat figure into the Mario Bros. house!" Peach snapped back.

Bowser roared in anger.  "Grr... You'll learn soon enough not to insult me," he said through clenched teeth, "and besides, I didn't kidnap you.  My new assistant did.  Come out!"

A familiar figure joined Bowser next to Peach's cell door.  She saw the color red.  And he was taller than the average Toad, but not like a toothpick either.

shadowmarioguy

Chapter 21: One Year

Peach was stunned.  Shocked.  Not once did she suspect Mario.  But there he was, grinning at her.  "Mario!  How could you?  We trusted you!"

"Well that was the biggest mistake you ever made!" Mario snapped.

Peach jumped to her feet and pointed at Mario.  She stared long and hard at him.  In a low voice, she said, "Mario, you will pay for this.  I will not be made a fool of.  Mark my words, you will go to prison!"

Mario simply chuckled as he walked away with Bowser.  Peach glanced around her cell.  I have to get out of here.  But how?

Suddenly, the answer hit her.  "Luigi!  If he's not allies with Bowser too, then we just might have a chance.  But it's a very slim one," she moaned.

"I'm going," Luigi repeated firmly. 

"You mustn't!  It's far too dangerous!" Peach's secondary attendant shouted.  He was a small, wiry Toad with a teal dot on his hat. 

"Robert!  How many times do I have to tell you?!  I'm going to Bowser's Castle to rescue Peach and Mario!"

"No!  Now that Toadsworth is dead, I'm in charge when Peach isn't around.  And I command you to stay," Robert T. growled. 

"That won't work," Luigi muttered, "I have much more important things to do than wait.  Sure, I may be a coward, but when it comes to my friends I have to do something."  He stomped away, leaving Robert speechless.

"Uhh... Bowser, sir, would you hurt me if I told you we were under attack?" a shy Koopa asked sheepishly. 

"It depends..." Bowser murmured nonchalantly.

"Um, well, the castle's security has been breached.  By Luigi..."

"Darn it!" Bowser roared.  "If it's not Mario, it's Luigi?!  Do I ever get any fun?!"  He shot out a column of flames that burnt the Koopa to a crisp.  "I'll take care of this 'intruder' myself!"

Luigi crept across the stone floor toward a large door.  Suddenly, a group of ten Koopas rushed out of the door and at Luigi.  He charged at them and jumped into the air.  He landed on one and used the momentum to bounce backward.  Luigi shot a Fireball and knocked of six of them.  Finally, he leaped forward to grab the first Koopa's shell and tossed it at the remaining enemies.

"Bowser really needs some stronger warriors," Luigi sneered.

"But instead of fighting a bunch of wimps, why don't you fight the champ himself?!" Bowser chortled as he fell from the ceiling.

"Bowser?  You're behind all of this, aren't you?!" Luigi challenged.

"Hmm... I'm behind part of this.  But there's more to the mystery than meets the eye!" Bowser cackled.  "See if your peanut brain can figure it out!"

"Stop mocking me!!" Luigi cried as he jumped high in the air.

What's he doing? Bowser wondered.  Luigi grabbed onto a chandelier.  "That won't save you from me!!"

Bowser hopped up to Luigi's height and sliced at the chain to the chandelier.  But Luigi had already got off and landed on the ground.  Bowser dropped down to greet him.  "I'll admit," Bowser sighed, "you're fast.  But you can't win!"

"Oh really?" Luigi snickered.  "But I already have."

"Hm?"

The chandelier plummeted toward Bowser's head at an enormous speed.  Just as Bowser was about to get the bruise of a lifetime, he lifted his arm up and caught it!

"Oh, you mean that?  You thought I was that stupid?"

"I guess so," Luigi admitted.  "But it's still my duty to win.  I won't stop until my brother and Peach are safe!"

Luigi shot six green Fireballs at Bowser.  Nimbly, Bowser jumped into the air to avoid them.

"Hey Bowser!  I've got a present for you!  This is the attack my bro used to beat Metal Mario!!"  Luigi jerked his hands forward and shot an enormous green Fire Wave.  It was an attack known as the Ultra Fireball.  Bowser was sent flying from the castle.

"Phew, I did it," Luigi breathed.

Watching the whole thing from behind the door was Mario.  "Hmph.  So he beat Bowser?  How pitiful.  I had better wipe Peach's memory and get outta' here.  I don't want to leave any evidence."  He made a dash for Peach's cell.  She had fallen asleep.

"Good.  This is a little trick Bowser taught me."  Mario put his hand on Peach's forehead.  Small, purple waves emitted from her head.  After ten seconds, Mario pulled his hand off.

"Mario?!  Peach?!"

Quickly, Mario blasted a hole in the wall, grabbed Peach and made a dash for Mushroom Castle.

He was so close!  He had made it to the back entrance of Mushroom Castle.  But just as he ran inside, more than thirty Mushroom Guards were waiting for him.

"Mario, you are hereby accused of kidnapping Peach.  You are to show up in court one year from now.  In the meantime, you are to stay in prison."

shadowmarioguy

Chapter 22: Confession

One year.  All it took was one year for everyone?s infatuation with Mario to vanish.  He never left his tight, unwelcoming cell.  And no one came to it, either.  He spent one year all alone in prison, with barely anything to eat.  Whatever he was given was his meal for a whole week.

During this year, other things had changed.  Luigi continued his training sessions with the Master, and everything went on as if Mario was dead.  Also, Waluigi and Wario had officially healed.  They could walk, jump, run, and do just about anything they could do before.  Wario didn?t know if he was overjoyed or just plain angry when Luigi told him he was in jail.

?Hey, Mario!  Today?s your big day!? the stoic guard shouted.  ?See if you can muster enough energy to get up.  Take your time.?

Mario had laid on the floor last night, trying to figure out a way to avoid being found guilty.  But they all lead to a dead end, and eventually he had just fallen asleep on the ground. 

?C?mon, you can do it.?

Mario?s eyes opened and, for the three hundred fifty-sixth time, met the gray prison ceiling.  ?Ugh? Today? I go to court?? Mario murmured.  He rolled over and struggled to his hands and knees.

?There, just a little more.?

Mario used all of the strength he had to push himself up to his feet.  For a few minutes, he stretched and jumped.  Soon he could move freely again.

?Thatta? boy, Mario.  Now let?s get you to the court room.

?Court is now in session,? the judge avowed.  ?Mario, do you have an opening statement??

?Yes, your honor.  I am, without a doubt, innocent.  I?m sure all of my friends in this kingdom will stick up for me.   That is all.?  Mario glanced around the room.  The jury of Toads all looked back at him with a hateful look.

?Chief T., it is my understanding that you are going against Mario.  Do you have an opening statement?? the judge inquired.

?Correct.  I am here to prove that, even though she does not remember, Peach has been mistreated by Mario.?

Because Mario had wiped Peach?s memory, she could not recall any of the times someone had broken into her castle, nor the point in time that she was kidnapped by Mario.

?Very well then; only time will tell.  We will start with Chief T., since he is the most confident.?

?Thank you, your honor,? he replied.  ?I call Mario to the stands.?

Mario skeptically got up and walked to the stands.  He swore to tell the truth. 

?Mario, explain yourself.  What went on when you were scheming with Bowser?  Were you the only one that had broken in to the castle??

Mario had promised himself that he would never reveal any of this information earlier.  However, something came over him.  It felt good.  It was like a ray of warmth on a cold winter night.

?I will.?  Several gasps were heard from the jury.  ?It all started on that one night.  I couldn?t remember anything that happened between the moment I beat Chaos and then.  It was very late, and I had the strangest urge to do something evil.

?Unaware of what I had to do, I got up and walked toward Mushroom Castle.  I didn?t know what I was going to do or why.  But then, it all hit me.  I needed to kidnap Peach.  Maybe I would know what to do after that.  Of course, I never got to Peach that night.

?Just before her room was Toadsworth.  He realized my intentions and called for help.  Thinking I could still succeed, I killed him and almost entered Peach?s room.  Until I heard the guards coming.  I had no choice but to leave.  And I?m sure everyone knows what happened after that.?

?You? confessed?? Chief T. asked, dumbfounded.

?Well, this means that Princess Peach makes the decision of Mario?s sentence.  What shall it be??

?So it was all true!!? she exclaimed.  ?Mario, you messed with the wrong kingdom.  Although it was nice while it lasted, I sentence you to? death.

shadowmarioguy

Chapter 23: Awakening

Death?  Were those Peach?s true words?  It couldn?t be!  Mario?s heart sank.  Even Peach wanted him dead.

?Very well then,? the judge responded.  ?It was Peach?s wish.  And the rules of the Mushroom Kingdom state that any traitors sentenced to death must expire a certain way.  Mario? You will be thrown into the Pit of Despair.?

What did I just do?!  I confessed!  This is terrible!  I?m through.  I might as well just go without a fight.  Mario glumly got down from the stand and followed one of the guards.

Anyone who wanted to see also followed, which was basically everyone.  Even Peach wanted to see the one she once loved one last time.

They were lead through the castle to a door that was in the center of the castle.  Not even Mario had been through the door.  The guard opened it and they came to another part of the castle courtyard.  The only difference was that there was a metal cap on part of the ground.

?Mario, I?m giving you this chance to say goodbye to your loved ones.  Even though they may not love you back.?

Mario nodded and walked over to his brother.  ?Luigi, I know I am like a traitor to you, but please, listen.  Guard this kingdom with your life as I once did.  Become as strong as me, no, stronger than me.?

?Sniff, okay bro.  No matter what, you?ll always be my brother.  Let?s shake on it.?

The two shook hands.  It was such a touching scene, even the guard shed a tear.  Mario felt he should not push his luck with Peach.  He shamefully walked to the guard.

?Mario, even you deserve a fair warning.  The fall will not kill you, but the beast that lives down there will.  If you want to know, his name is Dragoon.  When you?re ready??

?I?m ready,? Mario sniffled.

The guard removed the metal cap from the ground, revealing a large hole.  Mario?s arms were tied to his back.  He looked over his shoulders and saw everything once dear to him.  Everyone burst into tears as the sentry pushed Mario down into the gap.

Down, down, and down?  Mario plummeted to his demise.  After what seemed like an eternity, he hit the ground hard. 

?Ahh? It?s been so long since Peach has fed me.  You look scrumptious!?

?So, you?re Dragoon?? Mario asked hesitantly.

?Yes, I suppose that is what the humans call me.  They treat me like a pet, but if I got loose, I could annihilate them all!? it replied.  ?Enough of that; it?s dinner time!?

Mario just sat on the ground like a helpless child.  He got his first good look at Dragoon.  It was a red, slimy dragon protruding from the ground.  Mario wondered if the slime was blood or lava.  It had piercing black eyes that seemed to surround its prey.

?I guess it?s over.  What is the point of living?  Everyone hates me??

?What are you talking about?!? a familiar voice roared.  ?You?re Mario, the hero of this world!  Don?t let anyone tell you otherwise!?

?Skulleon?!?  Mario shouted, scanning the darkness.

?I?m with you in spirit.  Don?t lose!  Beat this thing to another dimension!  You?ve simply lost your confidence.  If it makes you feel better, Bowser was controlling you!?

?Yeah it does!  Time to win!? Mario bellowed.  He burnt the ropes tying him up and got ready to fight.

?What does a wimp like you know about fighting?!? Dragoon taunted.  His jaws opened.

?Dragoon, you seem hungry.  Then EAT THIS!!? Mario shot a Super Iceball into Dragoon?s mouth, freezing it.  Then, he dashed up to it and punched it to a small pile of icicles.

?Skulleon, I mastered the Super Iceball!?

?I?m so proud!  Now get up there and tell them you are innocent!? Skulleon yelled with pride. 

Mario charged an Ultra Fireball and shot it at the ground.  It shot him back up the hole at amazing speeds.

?I can?t believe he?s gone!? Luigi cried.  Everyone turned to leave when Mario burst from the hole triumphantly.

?Hey guys!?

One word seemed to echo through the kingdom:

HUH?

shadowmarioguy

The new chapter is done and will be up in a sec  ;)

shadowmarioguy

Chapter 24: Pure of Heart

?Mario?!  H-  No one?s ever gotten out of there before!? the guard exclaimed, amazed.

Mario got up and brushed some dust off his shirt.  ?No one ordinary, right?  I?m not just anyone, I?m Super Mario!? he bellowed with pride.

?What?!  How can he be showing free will?!? Bowser roared.  ?That gas filled his heart with evil!  There?s no way!?

?Sir? I-? Kammy stammered sheepishly.

?Am going to work for several hours to fix this mess!? Bowser finished.  ?Just as soon as we climb back up Vista Hill.

Mario let out a scream that echoed through the kingdom.  It was a combination of a triumphant yell and a stressed one.  Everyone across the world heard it.  They had a feeling.  Mario is innocent after all.

It felt good.  Mario let out all of the darkness in his heart.  And out it came, with a jolt of pride and glory.  Once again, the kingdom had its safe feeling.  The one they used to have when Mario was good.

It had been one year.  One whole year since someone believed in Mario.  He turned to face the group of people before him.

?Mario- What happened to you?? Peach asked in a choked voice.

?I don?t know.  I feel like I?ve been controlled this whole time,? Mario replied.

Just then, everyone except for Mario screamed.  A black mist rose from Mario?s body.  It formed into a cloud of dark purple mist and slowly drifted north.

The guard stomped his foot.  ?That was controlling you!  And it?s heading up toward Bowser?s Keep.?

Chief T. butted in.  ?Case closed.  Mario?s innocent, and Bowser is guilty? again.?

?Well, don?t I get a hug or something?? Mario inquired sarcastically.  He was finally his old self again.

It was all over the news.  It was in all of the papers.  ?National Hero was Innocent the Whole Time!? was the main headline.  The change had reversed as quickly as it started.  Everyone believed in him again.

Back at the Mario Brothers? house, the two were conversing over what had happened.

?So, you can freeze things now?? Luigi questioned, astonished.  His eyes boggled when Mario said yes for the fifth time.

Mario nodded.  ?Yeah, Skulleon taught me how.  You remember; that bony guy??

?Hey!?

?Who said that?!?  Mario jumped from his seat. 

?It?s Skulleon.  I guess you?re not used to me speaking to you mentally.  I have something to tell you!  I can foretell that something eerie is going on.  Be careful!?

?All right!? Mario affirmed.  He turned to Luigi.  ?That was just him.  Apparently he?s nervous about something.?

Meanwhile, in the depths of Vista Hill, trouble was brewing.  The cloud had landed, and it seemed to say, This place is perfect.  Slowly, it began to form into the shape of a human.

?Ah, finally I can take the shape of a person!  I cannot live inside of Mario anymore, but I?ve gathered enough DNA to become his dark clone.  With my incredible power and identical looks, nothing can stop me from beating him!?

He reformed to the shape of Mario, except he was absolutely dark purple.  His skin, his clothes, and his features were all purple.  You could not tell where his mouth was unless he talked.  It was hard to tell when he blinked.  No one could tell when he breathed.

?Don?t try it,? a metallic voice came from nowhere.  ?I have a bone to pick with Mario myself.  Let?s team up.?

?You?re out of your mind.  I don?t need your help!?

?Hm?  Last time I checked I was responsible for Mario?s death.?

?Really?  Then why not.  The more the merrier!?

?Great.  What should I call you??

?Nightmare sounds like a good name for me.  And what about you??

shadowmarioguy

Chapter 25: Under Attack

From that point on, the two agreed to cooperate and ultimately destroy Mario.  What a combination they were!  No one knew it quite yet, but things were about to get hectic.

One week after Mario was found ?innocent??

?Finally, I think it?s finally safe to say it?s all over,? Luigi sighed.  He looked at his brother from across the table, who had been devouring his breakfast like he hadn?t eaten in ages.

Mario swallowed a mouthful of spaghetti.  ?Yeah, Bowser?s plan was a flop.  Chaos is gone, and I?m back to normal.  Everything should be as it was right before Metal Mario came into the picture.?  He turned to his plate.  ?Now all that I have to ?beat? is my dinner!?

Luigi sat back and let out a good laugh.  ?It?s great to have you back,? he chuckled.  ?So, I take it you still like my cooking??

Instead of responding, Mario crammed his last meatball down his throat.

?I?ll take that as a yes!? Luigi declared.  ?Alright bro; let?s get to bed.?

They both got out of their seats and turned toward the stairs leading to the bedroom.  Luigi started up, while Mario stayed behind.  He cocked his head to one side, as if he had just heard someone calling his name.

?What is it??  Luigi turned around and got ready to panic.

Mario?s face was earnest.  ?I don?t know.  But there?s something outside.?

Now Luigi panicked.  He dashed over to the window and looked out.  ?Hey!  Whoever is out there better leave!?

Mario glared at his brother.  ?Luigi!  Be quiet!  Do you want him to know we?re aware of him??

Luigi scurried away from the window.  ?Sorry,? he replied sheepishly.

Mario gave him a sympathetic look.  ?It?s okay.  Here?s the plan: I?ll go out the back, and you go out the front.  I?ll take the back because no good robber tries the front door.  We walk clockwise around the house.  When I get to the front, I go in, when you get to the back, you go in.  Whoever sees someone has to shout so the other can help him.  Got it??

Luigi nodded.  They both exited through their specified paths.  Mario was now in the backyard he knew so well, and yet he felt completely lost.

?Hey, I can light things up with some fire!? he concluded.  With that, he made a small Fireball in his hand and used it as a lantern.

Meanwhile, Luigi had not quite figured this out yet.  He ran from bush to bush, spinning around so he would not miss anything.  ?This is so scary.  Why do we have to split up??

Something hit him in the head.  He fell to the ground, out cold.  Mario heard the blow and rushed to his brother?s aid.  ?Luigi??

An Iceball shot out from nowhere and hit his leg, freezing it to the ground.  Mario whirled around.  ?What?  I didn?t do that!? 

He saw a figure land in front of him and throw a punch.  Mario blocked it and threw a few of his own combos.  To his great surprise, they were all blocked.  He heard a faint chuckle and then nothing.

?What just happened?  No one has ever blocked that combo before!  His fighting style; it was almost a duplicate of mine.  Who was that??

Mario picked up his brother and carried him inside. 

Briiiiiing!  Brrrrring!

Mario sat up.  He got out of bed and snatched the phone.  ?Hello??

It was Peach.  ?Mario?  Please come to Mushroom Castle at once.  And bring Luigi!?

?Okay, bye.?  Mario rolled his eyes.  ?I wanted to sleep in.  Oh well, it does sound important.

?Mario, Luigi, you?re here!? Peach yelled with joy.  ?Now I feel safe.?

Mario spoke up.  ?Safe from what??

?Them.  They appeared this morning.  They are going around, attacking people in the Mushroom Kingdom.  All they are bringing is destruction.?

Luigi was shocked.  ?Really?  We were just attacked last night!?

?Yeah, and whoever was responsible fought pretty darn well!? Mario added.

Peach looked worried.  ?Let?s think this over.  What can we do??

shadowmarioguy

Chapter 26: Mario's Decision

?So, exactly who are ?they? anyway?? Mario asked.  ?I mean, we need something to go by.?

Peach shrugged.  ?No one has really lived to pass on what they know.  All I know is that two people rumored to look like you are causing massive destruction.?

Mario smashed his fist on the ground.  ?Darn!  We can?t just sit around and do nothing!?

Luigi put a hand on Mario?s shoulder.  ?That?s not what we?re doing.  We need to think of a plan before we challenge them.?

?Yes, Luigi is right.  It seems like we?re doing nothing, but this is all we can do at the moment,? Peach added sympathetically.

Mario heaved a great sigh.  ?Okay then, where are they now??

?Well, I?ve heard that they are in Goomba Village moving toward Goomba Bay,? Peach replied.

Mario gave them a look of satisfaction.  ?Good.  I?ll be back in a few hours and they will no longer be a problem.?

He walked toward the exit, but Luigi stopped him.  ?You can?t just leave!?

Mario pushed his brother aside.  ?I?m going to pay the Master a visit.?  With that, Mario continued out the door into Toad Town.

?Mario!  Wait!  I?m coming too!? Luigi called out to him.

?No, Luigi!  We don?t want to lose you too!? Peach shrieked.  ?Besides, I?m sure Mario has a plan.?

Luigi gazed outside, lost in thought.  ?I hope so,? he said dreamily.

?No!  Swift T., you cannot become a warrior as strong as me like that!? the Master roared with frustration.

KNOCK KNOCK

?Who is it??  He answered the door and saw Mario standing before him.

?Hey, sorry to burst in like this,? Mario apologized.  ?I was wondering if you could answer a question.?

The Master walked over to Mario and studied the look on his face.  ?Mario, you are not on the battlefield at a time like this?  I had thought those tyrants had beaten you as well.  I was just training Swift here to help me face them.  Ask me anything.?

?Well? I was wondering if you could?uhh?? Mario stammered.  ?Could you tell me if I am strong enough to win?  Seeing as you can see things like that.?

?Hmm?  Let?s see?? the Master murmured.  ?Close your eyes.?

Mario shut his eyes tightly. 

?No,? he reprimanded in a stern voice, ?not like that.  Let it all go.  Close your eyes softly and yet make sure you cannot see.?

Mario obeyed.

?Ah, yes? If you concentrate your true power, you can save the day.?

?You mean I can win?!  Yes!  This time the odds aren?t stacked against me.  I have a better chance now!?  Mario dashed out and headed for Goomba Village.

?Knowing our karma, it would take a miracle to make it out of this mess alive.? the Master moaned.

Mario walked down the ruined path of Goomba Village.  There was destruction everywhere, and there were several buildings either on fire or run to the ground.

?Who could?ve done this??

shadowmarioguy

Chapter 27: Duel With the Darkness

Mario heard footsteps behind him and whirled around.  Standing before him was Nightmare himself.

?W- Who are you?  You look just like-?

?Ah, yes, I suppose I would look very much like you.  Allow me to explain.  First you will listen, and then you will die:

?About one year ago, you were kidnapped by Bowser.  In his keep, you were injected with dark matter, an ominous force that shouldn?t be trifled with.  You?d think that it put you under Bowser?s control, but I was the one who influenced all of your actions.

?However, I did more than just control you.  While in your body, I collected some of your DNA.  After inhabiting your body for an entire year, I have taken on your shape.  Make no mistake; with your DNA and my strength, I?m invincible!?

Mario shook his fist at Nightmare.  ?No way!  I?ll make sure to put an end to your destruction!?

Nightmare ignored Mario?s declaration and continued.  ?I haven?t quite introduced myself yet, have I?  I am Nightmare, Warrior of Shade!?

?Who?? Mario parroted dumbly.  Where have I heard that name before?

?As promised, I will now kill you.  Don?t worry; it won?t hurt that badly!?

Nightmare dashed over to Mario and threw a punch.  Mario blocked it and flipped right over Nightmare and shot a Fireball at him.  The dark warrior was one step ahead and had warped away.

?He?s fast,? Mario whispered as he scanned his surroundings.  ?Got you!?  He shot three quick Iceballs at a dilapidated building where he had seen movement.  ?Darn!  I missed!  Where is he now??

?Hey Mario, look behind you!?

Mario turned around and was amazed to see Nightmare standing before him.  Why couldn?t I follow him?  Maybe I need to use more of my power.  But I have to be careful, or I might hurt someone.

?There?s no way you?ll beat me if you can?t even see me.  I?m ending this.? 

Nightmare appeared behind Mario and delivered a painful kick to Mario?s side.  He fell to the ground in agony, hoping for relief.  He clutched his side, grimacing at the pain.

?Did I do that?  Oh, I?m sorry.  Maybe this will make up for it,? Nightmare chuckled. 

He picked up Mario by his ankle and tossed him into a nearby building.  ?Wow, I won already?  The great Mario has been defeated??

?Not quite!? Mario cried triumphantly as he emerged from the ruins.  ?I guess you?re not as tough as you thought!?

?Learn your place, fool!?  Nightmare appeared behind Mario and slammed his fists on his head.  Mario quickly grabbed his arms and pulled Nightmare toward him.  Then he stuck his knee out, ramming it into Nightmare?s chest.

Mario took a few steps back and caught his breath.  ?Not bad for someone with my DNA.?

Nightmare got up and brushed some dust off of his shirt.  ?I underestimated you.  That?s a mistake I won?t make twice.?  He shot a few Iceballs into the air.  Once they reached a particular spot, they stopped in their place.

?What are those, decorations?? Mario remarked sardonically. 

?You?ll see.?

Nightmare vanished and reappeared in front of Mario, who jumped into the air and prepared an Ultra Fireball.  Instantaneously, one of the Iceballs shot at Mario and froze him.

?Like it?  I call it the Homing Iceball Technique.  Get too close and they?ll home right onto you and freeze you.  Now to finish the job.?

Nightmare charged a Fireball in his hand.  ?I?m going to melt you to a mere puddle!?  He fired it.

?No you won?t!!? Mario declared as he broke free of his icy grasp and deflected the Fireball.  Flames sparked off of him like crazy as they twinkled in the daylight.  If I use more of my power, I?ll destroy this village for sure.  Maybe if I convert my Ice Power into energy I can win without blowing everything up.

?Sorry to break up your thoughts, but I have other things to do today!?  Nightmare scolded.  ?I?m sure you can increase your strength, but I won?t give you the time you need!?

Nightmare whizzed a Fireball at Mario.  ?I?ve got it!  I have to reverse his little technique!? Mario concluded as he deflected the Fireball.  Nightmare jumped out of the way, but got too close to an Iceball and was frozen.

?Hah!  I guess I outsmarted you!? Mario snickered.  He sprinted over to Nightmare to finish him off.  Just as he got close, Nightmare broke free and backhanded Mario to the ground.

?Think you can beat me with my own technique?  Hah!?  Nightmare kneeled down and unleashed a deadly series of painful punches.  After a few minutes, Mario was covered in bumps, bruises, and wounds.  ?Now I guess I?ll just get rid of you for good.?

He picked up Mario and tossed him into Goomba Bay.  ?Let?s see you get out of this!?

Deep under water, Mario?s body sank.  Down, down.  Drowning, drowning.