News:

Our thoughts go to Silver and his family in this difficult time.

Main Menu

Control+V

Started by Kilroy, April 17, 2009, 02:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Riddler

E

Anarchy_Jas

"I know they hope I fall, but tell 'em winning is my muthaeffin protocol."

Mystic

What kind do you  have?
What kind would you like?
What service do you use?
Any experiences?

Mikoyan

Essay Topic: What is something someone has said that has profoundly affected you and why?

The majority of the past ten years of my life has been focused on getting into Princeton University. Instead of dwelling on my family life, I focused on the possibilities of my future. When I was eight, I walked to the library by myself and checked out books about all the different colleges and universities. I immediately fell in love with Princeton. No matter how hard my life became, whether I was living on the street or not, college provided for me the dream of residing in my own personal intellectual Utopia. With my imparted information about Princeton, I photocopied the pages that I read about Princeton keeping them with me to this very day.

When my parents would disappear into bars leaving me alone at the outskirts, I would climb to the roof of the house or to the top of a tree and I would read those pages. I read about what I hoped my life would be like one day. Performing this ritual, kept me motivated through difficult times. I am happy to have survived without a broken spirit. Not until I was older, did I realize that everyone is not always accepted into Princeton. This broke my heart and also fueled me to work harder. However, the thought of applying to Princeton University became my biggest fear because I had to convey my entire life in a few short writing samples and my transcript. Then from these representations of my life, people who had never met me would examine a part of me for admittance into their school. Those people are responsible for making or breaking my lifelong dream.

One night while staring at the bonfire with my best friend, the one consistent person in my life, he said to me came up to me, "Maria, wake up. There is no way that you can convey the all the obstacle you have overcome, your passion for life, your unending curiosity, your constant questioning, your thirst for knowledge, your unconditional kindness, your love of nature, your sense of humor or your optimism. Those people that will read your application don't know you. You are an amazing person and you will make a life for yourself whether you get into Princeton or not."

His words changed my life. What my friend said gave me new hope. If he wouldn't have said that to me I might not have applied to Princeton. I would have been too crippled by rejection to even apply. It made me realize that no matter where I go, I have the power to create my own life.

I have tried to convey who I am in this application. Yet, you do not know me. You are sitting and reading this application half way across the country. To admit me would be a leap of faith. To not admit me would crush my dreams. I wish that I knew you. I wish that you could look into my eyes and then decide whether to admit me or not. I know that you probably wish this as well. For behind every paper that you read is a person. I am not a paper. I am not an essay. I am human. My dream is to attend Princeton University. However, if I am not accepted, then I know that who I am today would not be the same without that dream. It held me together at times when I should have fallen apart. It gave me something to grab onto and pull myself up from the bottom. My friend reminded me that my strength, which has brought me this far, continues to give me strength to move forward. He reminded me to chase me dreams. He reminded me that while a certain proportion of my life is controlled by fate, I will always have the ability to rearrange the broken pieces into something beautiful.

I think I just had a stroke. ;_;

Thirdkoopa

[21:11] <mackormoses> let's take a look at today's stats
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> stats today are high
[21:11] <mackormoses> holy intercourse ing poop
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> you adding all these standards
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> is really pushing us [/quote]
Quote from: JrDude φ on May 31, 2010, 08:32:13 PM
3 of my friends smoke weed. Why? Well I asked one time, and this is what they said: "Because I can blow out smoke and it makes me feel like a intercourse ing dragon"

Mystic

<cookies> Mystic looks like L10's hair right now!

JMV

Boyah Forums | Join Boyah

SkyMyl

Thirdkoopa

[21:11] <mackormoses> let's take a look at today's stats
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> stats today are high
[21:11] <mackormoses> holy intercourse ing poop
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> you adding all these standards
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> is really pushing us [/quote]
Quote from: JrDude φ on May 31, 2010, 08:32:13 PM
3 of my friends smoke weed. Why? Well I asked one time, and this is what they said: "Because I can blow out smoke and it makes me feel like a intercourse ing dragon"

Silverhawk79

â—" â—¡ â—"

Anarchy_Jas

"I know they hope I fall, but tell 'em winning is my muthaeffin protocol."

SkyMyl

Live life as if you were to die tomorrow.
Learn as if you were to live forever.

Light

"He smelt like licorice and old books, she thought to herself, as tears rolled from her eyes, the color of muddy puddles."

If you can tell me the name of the movie this is from without searching for it, you get a cookie. Or a special rank. Idk really.
Holy crap all my sigs were always poop. Best leave this space alone.

Spud

Page created in 53.362 seconds with 7 queries.