News:

<+Ice> i have a dildo factory line run by old women in my garage

Main Menu

What kind of game is Zelda?

Started by Neerb, August 03, 2008, 05:29:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

If you had to pick one, what type of game would you say Zelda is?

Action-Adventure
34 (91.9%)
RPG
3 (8.1%)

Total Members Voted: 36

tibar21

without a doubt its an action adventure game.
Super Smash Bros Brawl FC: 2622-1690-4267
Pokemon Soul Silver FC: 4855-9306-7114
Mario Kart Wii FC: 4898-5017-8746

Doodle

I would say it's an Action/Adventure. It might have some RPG elements in it, but not enough.
Zelda II was more of an RPG. You had to get experience points. Then when you got enough, you would choose to upgrade your health, attack, or magic.

I hated those experience points. >:(
YEAH

RaceDrv709

Whatever PsycoYoshi said. Where is it written that RPGs are ONLY turn based? The line between action/adventure and RPGs is blurred.
Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

tibar21

The type of game Legend of Zelda is is so obvious that this thread is pretty much pointless.
Super Smash Bros Brawl FC: 2622-1690-4267
Pokemon Soul Silver FC: 4855-9306-7114
Mario Kart Wii FC: 4898-5017-8746

Mutilator7

Everyone agrees, in an RPG you have levels and classes, in zelda its action-adventure with some puzzle, like in the dungeons

ThePowerOfOne

Quote from: tibar21 on August 14, 2008, 04:22:37 PM
The type of game Legend of Zelda is is so obvious that this thread is pretty much pointless.
Agreed.

Nayrman

Under the current "classification" system that rating places use (most namely the ESRB), Zelda is technically classified as an "Adventure/RPG".

I hardly see any RPG in this game besides the "name your character" part.
I'd say it's an Adventure/Action/Puzzle game in all.

And no, it doesn't require a turn-based battle system to be an RPG. *If you want to be really technical any game with a character is an RPG*.

Kaz

It's only an RPG in the sense that it fits a couple modern RPG standards and is, of course, a game where you play another's role. But when it comes to the modern version of the genre as a whole, no, it's not an RPG.

Action/Adventure it is.
Quote<+Mithos> My mom grounded me for being gay.

extraz

It can't possibly be an RPG for a few reasons

1. I absolutely hate RPGs and I love Zelda (the game, not the princess you sickos) so if If Zelda was an RPG the world would explode.

2. There isn't any annoying stats, turn by turn fighting, HP or MP (excluding Zelda II), or endless item configurations, and there also are no annoying party members.

Kaz

Quote from: extraz on September 18, 2008, 08:47:01 PM
2. There isn't any annoying stats, turn by turn fighting, HP or MP (excluding Zelda II), or endless item configurations, and there also are no annoying party members.

None of those are technically required for a game to be an RPG. Especially not turn-by-turn fighting.

And in a way, Zelda games do feature a variation of HP and MP, just with the generic catch-alls "health" and "magic."
Quote<+Mithos> My mom grounded me for being gay.

Sgt.Chilly

If we are gonna get technical. I'd have to say Action RPG.

Rayquarian

Quote from: QingXin on August 04, 2008, 08:22:55 PM
People, get it through your skulls. RPG doesn't refer to Final Fanasy turn based battles... RPG stands for "role-playing game".

You play the role of a character, and play as them, as if they were a second you. It doesn't necessarily mean turn-based battles...

In this case, you play the role as Link, and improve and upgrade him as you progress (if you choose to do so).
RPG games are actually games that borrow from the pen-and-paper RPG's, such as Dungeons and Dragons; in Zelda's case, it doesn't borrow enough from the pen-and-paper games to be considered an RPG.

Shujinco2

Quote from: Rayquarian on February 09, 2009, 08:03:42 PM
Quote from: QingXin on August 04, 2008, 08:22:55 PM
People, get it through your skulls. RPG doesn't refer to Final Fanasy turn based battles... RPG stands for "role-playing game".

You play the role of a character, and play as them, as if they were a second you. It doesn't necessarily mean turn-based battles...

In this case, you play the role as Link, and improve and upgrade him as you progress (if you choose to do so).
RPG games are actually games that borrow from the pen-and-paper RPG's, such as Dungeons and Dragons; in Zelda's case, it doesn't borrow enough from the pen-and-paper games to be considered an RPG.
Agreed.

Quote from: Mutilator7 on August 22, 2008, 08:38:08 AM
Everyone agrees, in an RPG you have levels and classes, in zelda its action-adventure with some puzzle, like in the dungeons
Earthbound doesn't have classes? If so, then what is Ness' class?

jnfs2014

60% Action/Adventure.

25% RPG-type.

15% Puzzle-type.

Kierou

Quote from: です on August 04, 2008, 10:57:36 PM
Action-adventure with some residual characteristics of an RPG.
This.