News:

<+Clu> was cute sure but it doesnt even mention homosexuality

Main Menu

So, how much do you know about competitive battling?

Started by Juliette, November 25, 2008, 10:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juliette

just out of curiosity.

Fill out this simple questionnaire please :3 

1. What are EV's?

2. What are IV's?

3. What is an OU pokemon and can you give an example?

Also describe what you know about competitive battling, if you can?

Macawmoses

Oh boy.

IV's are....individual values? I can't recall, I just know I knew. They, along with EV's, weren't meant to be exploited, if I recall correctly. They are the stats that determine where your Pokemons strength lies, and can have....31 points?

OU is overused, they are OU because they are proven good. Spiritomb, for instance, because it is a wall, and badass.

And...I don't know what else to say. Shoddy is used more now? Pokemon Platinum brings in way more weaknesses and strengths. etc.

Juliette

Quote from: mackormoses on November 25, 2008, 10:51:02 PM
Oh boy.

IV's are....individual values? I can't recall, I just know I knew. They, along with EV's, weren't meant to be exploited, if I recall correctly. They are the stats that determine where your Pokemons strength lies, and can have....31 points?

OU is overused, they are OU because they are proven good. Spiritomb, for instance, because it is a wall, and badass.

And...I don't know what else to say. Shoddy is used more now? Pokemon Platinum brings in way more weaknesses and strengths. etc.
You got it mostly correct.
In simple terms, the IVs of a pokemon range from 0-31, and add one stat point at level 100 for each one in a specific stat.
They're listed in the order of HP/ attack/ defense/ special attack/ special defense/ speed
They can be gotten once only in a pokemon and cannot be changed without hacking.  You can pass them down by breeding, though only three out of the 12 that the parents have.

EVs are effort values, gained by battling and defeating another pokemon.  Each pokemon gives different ones, and four EV's make a stat point at level 100.

OU is actually usage more then how good it is.
The tiers are

Uber
OU
BL
UU
NU
NFE

Uber is where pokemon too strong for OU belong
OU makes up the top 75% most used pokemon
BL is just list of pokemon too strong for UU
UU is the bottom 25% of pokemon
NU is, well never used.  I think its the bottom 25% of UU
NFE is not fully evolved.

The only real tiers as of now are OU and UU.

Smogon.com has everything you need to know, really.

Macawmoses

Yeah, Ghastly, for instance, add Sp.Atk, I believe. That's where EV training comes in, right?

Juliette

Quote from: mackormoses on November 26, 2008, 12:30:42 AM
Yeah, Ghastly, for instance, add Sp.Atk, I believe. That's where EV training comes in, right?
Yep.

To elaborate more,
each stat can have up to 255 EVs, and in total a pokemon can have 510.

However, only 252 is really needed, since its the highest number divisible to four that goes into 255.

For the record, gastly gives one spA EV.

Level_9_Chao

I'm not much of a competitive battler, although I have attempted EV training a few guys here and there in Diamond when I became aware of it.

I miss Red Version. Lol DVs.
Become a Failbook fan: Victory Road :3

The Game Boy Pocket.
Put it in your back pocket.
Sit down and it breaks.

ThePowerOfOne

I know a bit about competitive battling.

EV's are Effort Values, and different Pokemon give different ammounts, usually depending on what stat they are best in. Like Gengar is good in Sp. Atk, so he would give you 3 points to go toward Sp. Atk. I think thats it, I haven't played in a long time and I usually have people EV train for me.

IV's are Individual Values. I never pay attention to these. I just know at level 30 you can check a Pokemon's IV's, which you can pass down by breeding. They can go from 0-31, each stat has a certain number, 31 being the best.

An OU Pokemon is... I don't know, Over Used? Like Garchomp was before he was made Uber D: 

I don't do competitive battling much anymore, mabe i'll try to get more into it with Platinum.

Hishipi

Quote from: Spiritombreeder on November 25, 2008, 10:44:52 PM
just out of curiosity.

Fill out this simple questionnaire please :3 

1. What are EV's?

2. What are IV's?

3. What is an OU pokemon and can you give an example?

Also describe what you know about competitive battling, if you can?

1. Effort Values, a pokemon caught or hatched starts off with 0. You can have a maximum of 255 in any stat, but you waste 3 EVs that way so it's better to max a stat at 252, 4 EVs = 1 point in that stat, fainting certain pokemon get you certain EVs in varying amouns.

2. Individual Values, 1 IV = 1 Stat point in that stat, 0 being the minimum and 31 being the maximum. It is somewhat random about what IVs a pokemon has. You can however breed pokemon to pass on up to 3 or 4 (I forget D= ) IVs from the parents. IVs also determine Hidden Power type and base power for that pokemon.

3. an OU pokmeon is a pokemon that would over centralize the BL/UU metagame, Blissey and Skarmory are two OU pokemon, known well for the enormous Special Defense and Defense stats(respectively).

I knew a fair bit about the D/P metagame before Plat was released, after that I kind of lost interest so I don't know much there.
~Hishipi

jnfs2014

EV's= Effort Values. 4 EV's in Atk=1 Atk point. Max: 255 per stat.
IV's= Individual Values. Breeding will help this. Max: 31 per stat.
OU: Overused. Pokemon that EVERYONE has on their team.
Ex. Garchomp, Lucario, Alakazam.
Competitive Battling?
I know about EV's, IV's, Basic Movesets,
Ranking (Uber, OU, BL, UU, Never Used)

Hishipi

Quote from: JNeedForSpeed2014 on December 09, 2008, 07:30:44 PM
Competitive Battling?

Actually, Garchomp is uber. ;)
~Hishipi

jnfs2014

Quote from: Hishipi on December 10, 2008, 07:36:50 PM
Competitive Battling?

Says who?

Hishipi

Quote from: JNeedForSpeed2014 on December 10, 2008, 07:58:03 PM
Quote from: Hishipi on December 10, 2008, 07:36:50 PM
Competitive Battling?

Says who?
Says Smogon
http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/garchomp
~Hishipi

Zero

Competitive pokemon consumes far too much time. The effort isn't worth the satisfaction of having an "unbeatable" team.

I was into it for a while but..meh

Macawmoses

Juliette

Quote from: Zero on December 15, 2008, 02:24:26 PM
Competitive pokemon consumes far too much time. The effort isn't worth the satisfaction of having an "unbeatable" team.

I was into it for a while but..meh

Its like a game of chess.  Your team can never be unbeatable, there's always a way to lose.  Its just your job in-game to do everything right.