News:

<+Clu> have you tried barbecuing the computer

Main Menu

Games of the Year 2008

Started by Macawmoses, January 13, 2009, 05:13:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macawmoses

http://8th-circuit.com/?q=node/447

So, there was 8C's selections. It's kind of different from numerous others, while others match up quite nicely.

However, which games do you think deserve the prize for the categories mentioned?

And some highlights:

Handheld GotY: TWEWY
Wii: Brawl
PC: Left 4 Dead
PS3: MGS4
360: GoW2 and Fable 2
Overall: Left 4 Dead

I don't agree with some like the Best Sports/Sim or Indie Release, but that's just me. I wrote up the Strategy game award, so I'm ok with it.

Comments in general though? What do you think deserves those slots? Etc.

Edit: Even inactive I'm more active than you guys =\

Doodle

Brawl for Wii game of the year? Meh. I think Mario Kart Wii would have deserved it more.
YEAH

Silverhawk79

No surprise Brawl won Wii GOTY, but...I really think NMH should have won.

Shujinco2

I don't know if this would have gone in any specific catagory, but I gotta say Mother 3 translation should have gotten something.

Then again, it really wasn't a release, and the game itself is old, so... IDK, but still.

Pachuri

ThePowerOfOne

I don't know why everybody picks Brawl for GotY, it wasn't even that different from Melee, it just had a few more characters and poopty online. Honestly, if I knew it would have sucked so bad I would have just saved that $50 and stuck to Melee.

StarWindWizard7

Brawl shouldn't of won GOTY, honestly.
AS much as I play Brawl and Love it........ It's Major hype disappointments and horrid online
is enough to hinder it to an embarrassing last place.

I agree, MK Wii should of took it's place.

Triforceman22

Why didn't far cry 2 win anything? :(
Not even Best graphics?
Wtf.

QuoteRobotnik: GET A LOAD OF THIS!!!!!!!!

Macawmoses

Quote from: Silverhawk79 on January 13, 2009, 08:14:59 PM
I nominated NMH for practically everything it got second in D: I agree.

Quote from: Shujinco on January 13, 2009, 08:19:07 PM
I don't know if this would have gone in any specific catagory, but I gotta say Mother 3 translation should have gotten something.

Then again, it really wasn't a release, and the game itself is old, so... IDK, but still.
It really didn't count.

Quote from: Phaze on January 13, 2009, 09:31:25 PM
I don't know why everybody picks Brawl for GotY, it wasn't even that different from Melee, it just had a few more characters and s***ty online. Honestly, if I knew it would have sucked so bad I would have just saved that $50 and stuck to Melee.
Waaaaaay different games. Still, Wii had titles like MKWii, NMH, Boom Blox, de Blob, etc.

Quote from: Triforceman22 on January 13, 2009, 10:44:07 PM
Why didn't far cry 2 win anything? :(
Not even Best graphics?
Wtf.
Did we even do best graphics? Meh, Far Cry 2.

Syncopathic

Quote from: Silverhawk79 on January 13, 2009, 08:14:59 PM
This.

It's one of the best Wii games I've played.
I can't wait for NMH2 to come out.
MORE FUCKWIN GAMES FOR THE WII.

Jono2

l4d doesn't deserve to win anything but Buggiest Game of the Year.  Online Co-op is nearly unplayable.

Quote from: LinkXLR on January 30, 2008, 09:10:54 PM
Quote from: famy on January 30, 2008, 08:36:30 PM
is big willy unleashed a will smith game

...I'm not even gonna touch this one.

SteamID: Lazylen

HTA!

lol TWEWY.

Brawl was amazing, deal with it,

Link3588

Quote from: Jono2 on January 14, 2009, 12:03:51 AM
l4d doesn't deserve to win anything but Buggiest Game of the Year.  Online Co-op is nearly unplayable.
No I believe that Fable 2 would take that title.

Jono2

Quote from: Link3588 on January 14, 2009, 07:07:44 AM
Quote from: Jono2 on January 14, 2009, 12:03:51 AM
No I believe that Fable 2 would take that title.

Left 4 Dead:
-Hunter is more useful running in and clawing than actually pouncing (what he's supposed to do)
-Smoker works about 50% of then time when he should.  Useless in 90% of situations.
-Boomer is ineffective if killed while barfing.
-You can knock down doors that you shouldn't be able to by meleeing them.
-You can melee forever by meleeing, swapping weapons, then meleeing again.
-If you melee a chain gun and jump on it, you go flying, usually to your death.
-On every campaign, there are at least 3 ways to skip significant parts of a level.
-If the survivors sit in a corner and melee, they're invincible to everything but a tank.
-Tank is useless against competent survivors.
-You can spawn up to 9 hunters at once, controlled by the AI, that lay dormant until the human players reach them (at which point they all pounce at once, giving a win to the infected) (You're not supposed to be able to spawn AI special infected at all)
-If you throw something at someone while in the elevator, they fall through the floor to their death.
-Hunter only hits 50% of the pounces he should.
-All weapons can shoot through walls, still do the same damage as if they were shot through straight air.
-Being hit by any environment item by a tank incapacitates you (while not a glitch, it's a flawed game mechanic)
-Hunters can pounce through doors.
-if you fall into a death zone as an unspawned infected, you die.
-some spawn points for infected can be avoided.
-there are "jesus rooms" in the game where no zombies appear for the survivors.
-you can throw infinite bombs.
-if you're healing while the map ends, you heal instantly.
-if you throw a projectile into the safe room at the end of a level, but don't carry it in, it doesn't carry through to the next level.
-you can spam voice commands over and over.
-the infected can block areas with objects so that the survivors have no chance of winning.
-one can swap teams, kill themselves, then swap back so that their team gets an easy win.
-it's impossible to boot anyone if they have a friend with them.
-matchmaking looks for the first dedicated server, and if it's full, it says so, then makes you try again instead of simply looking for an empty server.

There's more, but I have to get ready for school. -_-

Quote from: LinkXLR on January 30, 2008, 09:10:54 PM
Quote from: famy on January 30, 2008, 08:36:30 PM
is big willy unleashed a will smith game

...I'm not even gonna touch this one.

SteamID: Lazylen

Nayrman

No More Heroes = best Wii game. Fun story, fun gameplay, and everything the GAMER wants in a game. No dumbing down, no pulling back, it took its idea and went full throtle.
Brawl was overhyped, almost exactly the same as Melee (except a million times more broken somehow), and the single worst online I've ever seen. (It makes the DREAMCAST's online look good).