Previous topic - Next topic

Rayquarian

Quote from: wiiboychris on March 04, 2009, 10:28:34 PM
Quote from: Rayquarian on March 04, 2009, 06:28:39 PM
Quote from: MasterYoungLink on March 03, 2009, 08:38:19 AM
Vivian from The Thousand Year Door.

She got the most use out of my partners. =D
You mean 'he', right?

I like Tippi; she actually had a background story.
Vivian's a girl. >_<
Are you sure?

According to Mariowiki,
Quote from: MarioWikiIn the Japanese version of Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, Vivian was biologically male. The is is explicitly stated in Vivian's character description, which is roughly translated as "One of the shadow group, Vivian appears to be a girl but is really a boy." Additionally, Goombella's Tattle reads: "That's Vivian. Of the shadow group, she's the youngest sister... er, brother."

DededeCloneChris

Quote from: Rayquarian on March 07, 2009, 04:17:03 PM

You mean 'he', right?

Vivian's a girl. >_<
Are you sure?

According to Mariowiki,
Quote from: MarioWikiIn the Japanese version of Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, Vivian was biologically male. The is is explicitly stated in Vivian's character description, which is roughly translated as "One of the shadow group, Vivian appears to be a girl but is really a boy." Additionally, Goombella's Tattle reads: "That's Vivian. Of the shadow group, she's the youngest sister... er, brother."
...But Vivian is a girl.

Rayquarian

Quote from: wiiboychris on March 07, 2009, 10:03:52 PM

You mean 'he', right?

Vivian's a girl. >_<
Are you sure?

According to Mariowiki,
...But Vivian is a girl.
Do you have evidence that Vivian is a girl?

DededeCloneChris

Quote from: Rayquarian on March 08, 2009, 07:42:01 PM

You mean 'he', right?

Vivian's a girl. >_<
Are you sure?

According to Mariowiki,
...But Vivian is a girl.
The hair, the smile, the title of the 3, the kisses at Mario...

HTA!

Quote from: wiiboychris on March 08, 2009, 10:34:01 PM

You mean 'he', right?

Vivian's a girl. >_<
Are you sure?

According to Mariowiki,
...But Vivian is a girl.

gay gay delusional gay

DededeCloneChris

Quote from: The Wise Man on March 09, 2009, 03:40:29 AM
Quote from: wiiboychris on March 08, 2009, 10:34:01 PM

You mean 'he', right?

Vivian's a girl. >_<
Are you sure?

According to Mariowiki,
...But Vivian is a girl.

gay gay delusional gay
Possibly in EarthBound.

GreatGonzales106

You mean 'he', right?

Vivian's a girl. >_<
Are you sure?

According to Mariowiki,
...But Vivian is a girl.
Her name...

Java

I'd have to say my favorites would probably be Goombella, Paper Baby Yoshi, and Admiral Bobbery.

Rayquarian

Quote from: GreatGonzales106 on March 09, 2009, 03:47:47 PM

You mean 'he', right?

Vivian's a girl. >_<
Are you sure?

According to Mariowiki,
...But Vivian is a girl.
Her name...
Maybe his name is a joke.  Did you consider that?

DededeCloneChris

Quote from: Rayquarian on March 17, 2009, 03:20:45 PM
Quote from: GreatGonzales106 on March 09, 2009, 03:47:47 PM

You mean 'he', right?

Vivian's a girl. >_<
Are you sure?

According to Mariowiki,
...But Vivian is a girl.
Her name...
Maybe his name is a joke.  Did you consider that?
No, because Vivian is a girl.

Neerb

Here's the entire Gender section of Vivian's profile on MarioWiki:

In the Japanese version of Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, Vivian was biologically male. The is is explicitly stated in Vivian's character description, which is roughly translated as "One of the shadow group, Vivian appears to be a girl but is really a boy." Additionally, Goombella's Tattle reads: "That's Vivian. Of the shadow group, she's the youngest sister... er, brother."[1]

While Beldam uses the term "majotachi" (meaning a group of sorceresses) to refer to her, Marilyn and Vivian as a collective, she also calls Vivian "Man" (as an insult). Female pronouns such as "her" and "she" are used when referring to Vivian, though this may be because it is considered proper to refer to transgendered persons by the gender they identify themselves with.[2] Vivian has also been described as a bishounen - a male possessing feminine characteristics. In The Thousand-Year Door, several characters actually mistake Vivian for a girl because of her effeminate appearance.

Since Vivian kisses Mario in one scene, the North American version of Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door was censored and Vivian was changed to a female character. All instances where attention was drawn to Vivian's gender were also removed, such as replacing Beldam's "Man" insults with "Plug-Ugly" in the English versions. The Australian version retained these changes, though some translations in the PAL region (such as the Spanish version) maintained the Japanese plot and portrayed Vivian as a male who wished to be female.

shadowmarioguy

Quote from: Smash Bro 25 on March 18, 2009, 09:45:57 AM
Here's the entire Gender section of Vivian's profile on MarioWiki:

In the Japanese version of Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, Vivian was biologically male. The is is explicitly stated in Vivian's character description, which is roughly translated as "One of the shadow group, Vivian appears to be a girl but is really a boy." Additionally, Goombella's Tattle reads: "That's Vivian. Of the shadow group, she's the youngest sister... er, brother."[1]

While Beldam uses the term "majotachi" (meaning a group of sorceresses) to refer to her, Marilyn and Vivian as a collective, she also calls Vivian "Man" (as an insult). Female pronouns such as "her" and "she" are used when referring to Vivian, though this may be because it is considered proper to refer to transgendered persons by the gender they identify themselves with.[2] Vivian has also been described as a bishounen - a male possessing feminine characteristics. In The Thousand-Year Door, several characters actually mistake Vivian for a girl because of her effeminate appearance.

Since Vivian kisses Mario in one scene, the North American version of Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door was censored and Vivian was changed to a female character. All instances where attention was drawn to Vivian's gender were also removed, such as replacing Beldam's "Man" insults with "Plug-Ugly" in the English versions. The Australian version retained these changes, though some translations in the PAL region (such as the Spanish version) maintained the Japanese plot and portrayed Vivian as a male who wished to be female.
Wow, I never knew that.  That's kind of... weird...

Anyway, my favorite character(s) would have to be Popple and Rookie from Mario and Luigi: SS, even though Rookie's true identity isn't game exclusive.  Also, the dice guy (can't remember the name) from Mario Party 3 was pretty cool because he had his own little backstory of being the Millenium Star.

Neerb

I think that, rather than a transgender-crossdresser-whatever, Vivian and her sisters' species (Shades or whatever) do not have a gender.  Therefore, Vivian is sometimes called "she" because it has feminine characteristics, and sometimes as "he" because masculine is linguistically dominant over feminine and is more proper as such.  Kind of like a backwards version of how cars and ships are referred to as feminine despite being masculine in appearance and technically genderless.

ANYWAY, in terms of my actually replying to this thread, my favorite partners would have to be either Vivian (American version only!) or Yoshi (mine was an orange one named Smoothie) from Thousand-Year Door, not just because of their awesome attacks and abilities, but also story wise.  The best part of that amazing game was the Glitz Pit mystery!

DededeCloneChris

Quote from: Smash Bro 25 on March 18, 2009, 07:06:45 PM
I think that, rather than a transgender-crossdresser-whatever, Vivian and her sisters' species (Shades or whatever) do not have a gender.  Therefore, Vivian is sometimes called "she" because it has feminine characteristics, and sometimes as "he" because masculine is linguistically dominant over feminine and is more proper as such.  Kind of like a backwards version of how cars and ships are referred to as feminine despite being masculine in appearance and technically genderless.

ANYWAY, in terms of my actually replying to this thread, my favorite partners would have to be either Vivian (American version only!) or Yoshi (mine was an orange one named Smoothie) from Thousand-Year Door, not just because of their awesome attacks and abilities, but also story wise.  The best part of that amazing game was the Glitz Pit mystery!
The Vivian here is a girl then! :)

The Riddler

Mallow.

And he get's his own depressing theme music. So he's cooler.

;_;