News:

<+Clu> have you tried barbecuing the computer

Main Menu

Started by Thirteenthorder, July 23, 2009, 07:07:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macawmoses

I keep hearing conflicting reports on the whole astroid thing. Some of what I heard suggests that it will be so far away on both loops that we'll hardly be able to see it. Other suggest it's going to graze by us. But I still haven't heard a number as high as 3% for that. Nonetheless, I find that more likely to kill us than some voodoo magic calendar and planet alignment.

Turok

I've heard stuff about the planets being in alignment. And because of the combined magnetic(gravitational?) force it will cause massive earthquakes, reshape the continents. So if that happens, then yes our world would end.

[spoiler]
QuoteSo is it Capcom JPN or US screwing the PC release over? Both?
QuoteNUKE THEM FROM ORBIT, IT'S THE ONLY WAY TO BE SURE

PC GAMERS

If you don't give us what we want, we'll nuke you from orbit.
[/spoiler]

Macawmoses

Quote from: TUROK on February 07, 2010, 05:06:54 PM
I've heard stuff about the planets being in alignment. And because of the combined magnetic(gravitational?) force it will cause massive earthquakes, reshape the continents. So if that happens, then yes our world would end.
That's a pretty big if, if you ask me. I don't see how the planets being aligned is going to cause a magnetic or gravitational force change. Any science on this?

Turok

Quote from: mackormoses on February 07, 2010, 05:19:47 PM
That's a pretty big if, if you ask me. I don't see how the planets being aligned is going to cause a magnetic or gravitational force change. Any science on this?
Google, AWAY!!!! No but think about it, every planet has a gravitational pull, if all of them are lined up? Screwy things could happen, to me this is just below asteroid collision on the plausibility scale.

*goes off to find again proof* (I know I'll find it, it has to be there. The Lizardmen did it!!!)

[spoiler]

PC GAMERS

[/spoiler]

Gwen Khan

Quote from: TUROK on February 07, 2010, 05:06:54 PM

in 2004 several planets (5 I think) were lined up and nothing happened

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000103&sid=aNcmvEpnXTd8&refer=us

RX-78-2

Quote from: mackormoses on February 07, 2010, 04:38:25 PM
Nonetheless, I find that more likely to kill us than some voodoo magic calendar and planet alignment.
That's religious Native American calendar for your information. ;)

I for one have never heard of this asteroid theory. Even if the asteroid does hit, will it be strong and/or big enough to completely end the world? I wonder....
I dunno hao 2 put imgs heer :(

****************Mack was here******************

Zero

Quote from: HorribleToad on February 07, 2010, 05:46:53 PM

I for one have never heard of this asteroid theory. Even if the asteroid does hit, will it be strong and/or big enough to completely end the world? I wonder....

Incidents like Tunguska(research it yourself) happen every hundred years or so, give or take. Incidents like that but on a much more massive scale have happened, like the impact of the Yucatan. Such an impact has enough force to cause climate changes, continent shifts(which mean raging earthquakes), and ultimately the demise of all life unable to adapt to the changes. Worst part about that is is that there is a level beyond that kind of asteroid. Such an asteroid if it hit earth would immediately destroy our entire atmosphere, boil away our oceans, and basically turn all land into one big glob of molten rock. These are several hundred kilometers across and I'd rather not think about the possibility of one hitting us, even though its there.

I believe Toutatis is the asteroid you guys are referring to, and it's estimated that its 35 miles long, which is definitely enough to cause problems for us, actually, more than enough. If it hit it'd be the equivalent to detonating all of the world's nuclear weapons THEN some. If the episode of the Universe I watched a few nights ago was right though, it won't hit us in 2012, but it could hit us in 2036. Another asteroid could hit the planet in 2028, and it's only a mile wide. Problem is, is that is still enough to cause severe problems for us. We'd probably die out either way unless we destroyed the asteroids, altered their courses, or adapted to the near impossible changes if hit. The reason they'd cause so much damage is the force involved, because these objects travel at 30,000mph+. The size only adds to the problem. Long story short, no matter the size, it's a really big problem.

I'm not sure how resourceful most of my information is though, I learned most of this from The Universe. Off topic, but I suggest watching it if you have interest in this sort of thing. It's pretty amazing what you learn about, from anti-matter to dark energy, they cover everything.

Chris8492

Quote from: HorribleToad on February 07, 2010, 05:46:53 PM

It's called Apophis.

April 13, 2036 3/100 chance of hitting so far.

It will pass earth on 2029 and then Earths gravity will have an effect on it's path directing it towards the suns gravitational field. When it loops around that, it will have another shot at hitting Earth which is in 2036.

"The projectile damage of this asteroid if it where to hit the Ocean anywhere would create a massive tidal wave about 3 miles high.

If it where to hit the ground, boulders of rocks would be thrown hundreds to thousands of miles away striking.

The shockwave of this impact is said to be as strong as 10,000 nuclear bombs. Anything hit by this shockwave would be neutralized instantly."

The debris from the impact would cloud the atmosphere, creating a mass winter. Any surviving species would suffer a terrible famine, shortage of shelter, no sun and desolate landscape making vegetation impossible to grow."

This is just a prediction from scientists.

My prediction on the Mayan calendar is that December 21, 2012 will not be the end of the world, but a big milestone to a event that will end life on Earth. There also was different Mayans calendars out their besides this one. Some ended in millenniums away from now.

RX-78-2

I'm sorry that I can't reproduce the source, but it's been confirmed that a 35? mile-wide asteroid was responsible for the extinction of the dinosaurs. Could this tell us anything about another asteroid and its effects on the Earth and its inhabitants? I think it may already have, seeing as you two (Zero and Razgriz) have shared such information.

I agree that any asteroid is a problem. But how are we going to find a solution?

Cornwad

The way you know nothing is going to happen in 2012 is because nobody has the same story. Some people say a planet is going to collide with Earth, some say a solar flare will burn up the atmosphere, and now apparently there's a giant meteor. The people who spread these rumors are severely misinformed and have little to know idea what they're talking about. I recommend watching the Bullpoop episode on it. Good stuff right there. This thread really shouldn't even be in Intelligent Discussion, as there's nothing intelligent about thinking something terrible will happen when it clearly won't. 

Tahrann

Quote from: Cornwad on March 07, 2010, 12:42:39 AM
The way you know nothing is going to happen in 2012 is because nobody has the same story. Some people say a planet is going to collide with Earth, some say a solar flare will burn up the atmosphere, and now apparently there's a giant meteor. The people who spread these rumors are severely misinformed and have little to know idea what they're talking about. I recommend watching the Bullpoop episode on it. Good stuff right there. This thread really shouldn't even be in Intelligent Discussion, as there's nothing intelligent about thinking something terrible will happen when it clearly won't.

From what I have seen, people like to deal in "what if?"s; "What if a the world ends in 2012?", "What if we don't have enough food to feed humanity anymore?", "What if another country decides to nuke us?", what if, what if, what if. There are many people who like feeling hyped up or "in the know" about stuff because they think they are going to be prepared for anything. The reason why we are dealing with so many "what if"s is just because we don't know how the world is going to end, so we just guess, and that is why there are so many theories. Why shouldn't we just live each day like we are looking forward to tomorrow, not fearing it?

So I agree with you, I don't even understand why we have a thread about this in Serious Discussion, cause we are not going to make it happen or stop by dealing in "what if"s.
Puts the lotion on the skin or it gets the hose again!

Chris8492

Ok then. Wait till the day to come and see what happens.  Then everyone will know.

duhhh....

RX-78-2

Quote from: Cornwad on March 07, 2010, 12:42:39 AM
This thread really shouldn't even be in Intelligent Discussion, as there's nothing intelligent about thinking something terrible will happen when it clearly won't.
Quote from: Tahrann on March 07, 2010, 10:57:49 PM
So I agree with you, I don't even understand why we have a thread about this in Serious Discussion
I think that this thread is here merely because it was meant to be seriously discussed as opposed to histrionic posts about who'll die, how, when, etc.

Macawmoses

Turok

Mack, you bumping this reminded me.

I was watching some History channel (Insta-nerd, I know) special on the Mayan calender, their calender is made up of cycles. You wanna know what the big deal is about 2012? Nothing, its the end of their longest cycle on the calender, after that, it starts over. Again.

Big deal, the world doesn't end because the second hand goes all the way around.

[spoiler]

PC GAMERS

[/spoiler]