Main Menu

You just obtained an ALL-CAPS NAME.

Started by bluaki, August 10, 2009, 02:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluaki

I can't think of many other games besides Pokemon that do it (probably because I don't play that many RPGs), but what do you think of games that use caps lock when referring to any in-game name of an NPC, item, monster, or whatever?

I don't even know why they do it. I'd guess it's from old gaming tech when there was no ability to emphasize certain text with color or whatever so they gave special names all-caps text, or perhaps a limitation with the text processing exclusive to English games. With more modern displays and hardware, I don't think there'd be any remaining reason not to just use regular letter case in the English versions.

Kilroy

Tradition, I guess? I assume it's a running joke at the Pokemon company or something, because you are right, there's no reason to keep the all-caps names.
1984 WAS SUPPOSED TO BE AN INSTRUCTION NOT MANUAL
"yes you are anusface, but i am better than!!" - taw, steam forums
 FOR NSF MASCOT

jnfs2014

Lotos

It annoyed me too.  I make my name with some lowercase, but then it looked funny compared to all the other names :-[

Custom

Quote from: Viewtifulboy on March 11, 2013, 07:28:20 AM
Good job! I, Viewtifulboy, declare you the CHAMPION!

I'm the official winner of the Viewtiful Victory roleplay championship!

Lotos

Captain Justice

Quote from: Talim on September 04, 2009, 05:26:53 PM
Yesterday, sort of. I was on the verge of crying. Why? I got into an argument with a couple other people from #nsider and it got me really upset. I didn't really cry much though
Quote from: Tsumaru on September 20, 2009, 11:29:22 AM
Can we ban Hoss, please?

Captain Justice

Quote from: Lotos on August 10, 2009, 04:20:33 PM
I think I remember you :O
I was on the Smash Boards like 98% of the time. I also showed up to the DK boards (lol dead), and Metroid sometimes.
Yesterday, sort of. I was on the verge of crying. Why? I got into an argument with a couple other people from #nsider and it got me really upset. I didn't really cry much though
Can we ban Hoss, please?

...̅̅̅

Lotos

Quote from: Echo on August 10, 2009, 04:39:35 PM
I was on the Smash Boards like 98% of the time. I also showed up to the DK boards (lol dead), and Metroid sometimes.

That would do it.

Captain Justice

lulz.....I kinda liked that board despite its average of 1 post every two days.

RawkHawk2010 had like 90% of the topics
Can we ban Hoss, please?

Lotos

Quote from: Echo on August 10, 2009, 04:47:48 PM
lulz.....I kinda liked that board despite its average of 1 post every two days.

RawkHawk2010 had like 90% of the topics

It had to be more than that; I frequently checked that board.

HTA!

HECTOR_THE_AXE

lol.
Anyway, haven't played Pokemon in a while, but the all caps helps me distinguish important stuff. >_>

bluaki

Quote from: HTA on August 10, 2009, 05:48:34 PM
the all caps helps me distinguish important stuff. >_>
That's what our modern text effects like bold, underline, highlight, and color are for.