News:

<Clu> no nsfcd is basically a ghost town, it should be killed behind fences

Main Menu

Books for English

Started by Dog Food, February 26, 2010, 04:53:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dog Food

We're reading Cat on a Hot Tin Roof in my English class right now. Just got the book, I'll probably read it on Sunday. And after this book and essay, we'll be finishing up our unit of books (Long Day's Journey into Night, Death of a Salesman, and the one we are reading now). We've also read Huckleberry Finn, The Sun Also Rises, The Great Gatsby, Langston Hughes poems and All the King's Men. We should have read Moby Dick, too, but my English teacher hated that book so much. Same with Catcher in the Rye last year (oh well, read that one on my own anyway).

Not including the book we've just started, Long Day's Journey into Night and The Great Gatsby have been my favorites so far. The Sun Also Rises was a little dull for my taste; Huckleberry Finn was good at first but started declining with each chapter; Death of a Salesman was pretty good but I lost respect for Willy throughout that book; All the King's Men is a close third, but there was a small part of the ending that bugged me.
I get obsessively manic over things. It's a problem.

Red

The Great Gastby is one of the worst books I've ever read. I hated it so much. ;_;

How the intercourse  doesn't your teacher like Moby Dick? It's amazing.

Chris8492

The Lord of the Flies
Things Fall Apart
Shadow ofthe Wind

Those are the books i have to have read in under a month before the end of spring break. Each one has to have an essay written for it too. Pretty much have to read a book for each week an a half. If i said my list of books for the year, i would be here for a while. -_-

Turok

Quote from: RedSox on February 26, 2010, 05:15:24 PM
The Great Gastby is one of the worst books I've ever read. I hated it so much. ;_;

How the intercourse  doesn't your teacher like Moby Dick? It's amazing.
Moby Dick might as well me called "How To: Whaling"

jeez most of that book is just explaining how to kill the thing

[spoiler]
QuoteSo is it Capcom JPN or US screwing the PC release over? Both?
QuoteNUKE THEM FROM ORBIT, IT'S THE ONLY WAY TO BE SURE

PC GAMERS

If you don't give us what we want, we'll nuke you from orbit.
[/spoiler]

Kilroy

Lord of the Flies [done]
1984 [done]
Anthem [probably won't read]
The Good Earth
Of Mice and Men [probably won't read]
A Tale of Two Cities [done]
A Streetcar Named Desire
The Catcher in the Rye [done]
A Separate Peace
Ordinary People [currently reading]
Macbeth [currently reading]
Silas Marner
Pride and Prejudice
Crime and Punishment [done]

Anthem and Of Mice and Men we probably won't read because we won't get the time this year.

Boy, do I love Honors English.
1984 WAS SUPPOSED TO BE AN INSTRUCTION NOT MANUAL
"yes you are anusface, but i am better than!!" - taw, steam forums
 FOR NSF MASCOT

BOREDFOREVER

Quote from: Razgriz2489 on February 26, 2010, 05:24:58 PM

Things Fall Apart

One of my all time favorite books. 

Quote from: Agent Norman Jayden on February 26, 2010, 05:34:45 PM
Of Mice and Men
A Tale of Two Cities
A Streetcar Named Desire
Macbeth

Also all good.  Of Mice and Men is worth reading on your own, and the movie is good too.  Macbeth is my favorite Shakespeare play, and Streetcar is my favorite Williams.  Catcher is vastly overated.

jnfs2014

All of my "assignments" are a book of a type. (Ex. Fiction, Non Fiction, Biography, etc.)

Cornwad

Quote from: Agent Norman Jayden on February 26, 2010, 05:34:45 PM
Anthem and Of Mice and Men we probably won't read because we won't get the time this year.
Anthem is weird but is great, probably the best one on that list.

I feel sorry that you had to read Death of a Salesman. We have to read The Crucible, which isn't much better, but at least it has Daniel Day-Lewis.

Chris8492

Uh crap... i gotta do a 4000 word minimum essay response to each of the books im reading throughout spring break. So much for getting a break >:(

Rorschach

Quote from: Cornwad on February 26, 2010, 08:11:49 PM
Anthem is weird but is great, probably the best one on that list.
That pretty much describes Rand's works in general.

NiMa74

Since the start of high school:

The Pearl
The Old Man and the Sea
The Good Earth
Great Expectations
The Odyssey
The Stranger
A Separate Peace
The Count of Monte Cristo
Things Fall Apart

The Count of Monte Cristo was my favorite read. It's gotta be up there as one of my favorite books I've ever read. The plot's just so exciting. Things Fall Apart was just plain annoying, impossible to remember all the names and poop. The Odyssey we never finished because we only read fragments of it in English class. The Stranger was kind of good just because it was short, sweet, to the point, and not all that boring. The Pearl and The Old Man and the Sea were just intercourse ing painful to read (THEY DRAGGED ON FOR LIKE FOREVER), while Great Expectations was just plain poop. I don't care how highly regarded of a book it is, it's just complete poop and a waste of time. The Good Earth was okay, but I don't recommend it. And A Separate Peace was just intercourse ing depressing. Not because of the plot, because people die in books all the time (and this death was just plain unusual). I have my own immature reasons as to why that book was so intercourse ing depressing.

NiMa74

Quote from: BOREDFANBOY on February 26, 2010, 06:50:44 PM
One of my all time favorite books. 

Also all good.  Of Mice and Men is worth reading on your own, and the movie is good too.  Macbeth is my favorite Shakespeare play, and Streetcar is my favorite Williams.  Catcher is vastly overated.

I did not like Things Fall Apart really. It just seemed a little too bland to me. However, it's just way too intercourse ing confusing to figure out why Okonkwo killed himself. I mean really, for a guy who considers himself to be one of the toughest guys in his clan, he's a real vagina-y.

I, as well, read Of Mice and Men by myself. It was pretty good. I recommend it.

The Riddler

I can't really recall everything I've read.
In no particular order:
A good number of Shakespeare works (Macbeth, Romeo and Juliet, Hamlet), Oedipus, The Great Gatsby, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Pearl, Of Mice and Men, and the Death of a Salesmen are ones that I can remember in particular.

Java

I guess I'll do what NintendoMan74 did and post the books I've read since the start of high school:

9th Grade:
1. The Alchemist
2. Anthem
3. Romeo and Juliet
4. The Odyssey
5. Julius Caesar

10th Grade:
6. Metamorphosis (WORST BOOK I'VE EVER READ!)
7. Chronicle of a Death Foretold
8. The Count of Monte Cristo (Amazing book! The tests were killer, but the book was amazing.)

11th Grade:
9. The Great Gatsby
10. A Streetcar Named Desire
11. Their Eyes Were Watching God
12. Death of a Salesman (Not one of my favorites...)
13. The Catcher in the Rye (One of my favorites)
14. Huckleberry Finn
15. The Old Man and the Sea (I think this is the one we have to read 4th quarter.)

Rorschach

Grade 9:
Romeo and Julliet was the only story of note that year, everything else we read was poopty and no one here would ahve even heard of them.

Grade 10:
To Kill a Mockingbird
Dr. Faustus (Marlowe>Shakespeare)
The Chrysalids (some poopty Canadian sci-fi book that ended with debilitating silly-string)

Grade 11:
Lord of the Flies
Ender's Game (ISU)
Macbeth
The Old Man and the Sea