Main Menu

Now YOU can pay for the worst online ever!

Started by Nayrman, May 07, 2010, 06:29:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nayrman

http://kotaku.com/5533852/nintendo-still-figuring-out-this-online-subscription-fee-thing

Miyamoto recently spoke about Nintendo's online service, and admits they're trying to figure out how to go about this "online" thing they've heard so much about (ok, I'm exaggerating that a bit). Basically they're looking at various modes of what they should do, go the Xbox route and charge a flat fee, do something like the rumored PSN premium route and have it free with bonus stuff for those who pay, etc.

However, what I found amusing is that how Miyamoto finds the criticisms "unfair" and how he wants "all users to connect online". I'm sorry but that made me laugh so freaking hard. Shiggy, get something that's worth going online for, and we'll go online. But until you get a service that's easy and hassle free, actually works, and make some games that actually USE the service, I'm not so much as spending a penny on anything you produce that's supposed to be online.

Zero

DededeCloneChris

Quote from: Nayrman on May 07, 2010, 06:29:31 PM
http://kotaku.com/5533852/nintendo-still-figuring-out-this-online-subscription-fee-thing

Miyamoto recently spoke about Nintendo's online service, and admits they're trying to figure out how to go about this "online" thing they've heard so much about (ok, I'm exaggerating that a bit). Basically they're looking at various modes of what they should do, go the Xbox route and charge a flat fee, do something like the rumored PSN premium route and have it free with bonus stuff for those who pay, etc.

However, what I found amusing is that how Miyamoto finds the criticisms "unfair" and how he wants "all users to connect online". I'm sorry but that made me laugh so freaking hard. Shiggy, get something that's worth going online for, and we'll go online. But until you get a service that's easy and hassle free, actually works, and make some games that actually USE the service, I'm not so much as spending a penny on anything you produce that's supposed to be online.
You always exaggerate too much, regardless when you admit it a few times.

Anyway, if they're going to upgrade online, that's fine with me. I'll see what they can do. Oh, and also, I don't think it's going to be the worst online ever.

Silverhawk79

IF they start charging and IF they drop friend codes, I might actually use it.

Macawmoses

Quote from: Nayrman on May 07, 2010, 06:29:31 PM

Yet you chastize him for offering what no one else does for free. Personally, I'd say he's on a level playing field right now. When the service becomes something that needs paid for, then I'll think there's an issue.

Zero

Quote from: Sherlock on May 09, 2010, 09:55:44 PM
Yet you chastize him for offering what no one else does for free. Personally, I'd say he's on a level playing field right now. When the service becomes something that needs paid for, then I'll think there's an issue.

The problem is, is that while the service is free it isn't even worth a passing glance.

DededeCloneChris

Quote from: Zero on May 10, 2010, 03:24:50 AM
The problem is, is that while the service is free it isn't even worth a passing glance.
It is, though.

Nayrman

Quote from: AuraChannelerChris on May 10, 2010, 06:07:50 AM
It is, though.
Actually, no it isn't. Nintendo themselves have barely any online games, and the ones they do either suck or have a terrible service. The only one I could stand playing online at all was Mario Kart Wii. All my DS games lag up the ass, and most of the Wii games that I've played online lag terribly, and the overall service is laughable. Friend Codes, lack of voice chat (please, forcing people to use one, and only ONE, lame peripheral hardly counts), no type of gamertags, etc.

Sony does so much MORE for free, Nintendo needs to fix online before even considering payment options.

DededeCloneChris

Quote from: Nayrman on May 10, 2010, 06:17:21 AM
Actually, no it isn't. Nintendo themselves have barely any online games, and the ones they do either suck or have a terrible service. The only one I could stand playing online at all was Mario Kart Wii. All my DS games lag up the ass, and most of the Wii games that I've played online lag terribly, and the overall service is laughable. Friend Codes, lack of voice chat (please, forcing people to use one, and only ONE, lame peripheral hardly counts), no type of gamertags, etc.

Sony does so much MORE for free, Nintendo needs to fix online before even considering payment options.
In my opinion, Nintendo's performance in online games is above average, less or more.

Thirdkoopa

Zero: The problem is, is that while the service is free it isn't even worth a passing glance.
AuraChannelerChris: It is, though.
Quote from: AuraChannelerChris on May 10, 2010, 10:04:46 AM
In my opinion, Nintendo's performance in online games is above average, less or more.
...Wait what are we specifically arguing? If we're going to start throwing around "In my opinion" Like this then count me out of this debate. We have to consider to what say "Average" or "Above average" means - Would it mean you'd pay for it? What does it truly bring? So forth.

"Worth a passing glance" is very debatable. I've played a ton of Brawl matches and the likes on it - It's still worth a passing glance but it depends on the specifics. If you look at a list of most popular/wii games worth getting that I posted up somewhere long ago and was lazy to look for it you begin to realize that not many of them even have online.

So it's worth a passing glance even with few.

On the other hand it looks only average simply because it's the lowest and there's not much to ground break it lower or higher when the 360 and PS3 are obviously pretty excelled in just about everything. For a good deal of time I didn't even know that the Dreamcast (Last gen console) was equivalent in online in some ways with the Wii.

That being said, If we're paying for online in it's current state from Nintendo, it's not worth it unless you're addicted to said games and there's not even much in that alley to begin with. There's Monster Hunter Tri, TvC, Brawl, Mario Kart Wii, and uh...What else? In short it's going to need a good deal of improvements to at least consider my purchase. Sad thing is if they do it right they'll probably be similar in the cash they're banking in with Microsoft just from charging people a get-in fee.

Oh and weren't they going to make XBL free like a year ago? I forget. I just heard it around from some other people.
[21:11] <mackormoses> let's take a look at today's stats
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> stats today are high
[21:11] <mackormoses> holy intercourse ing poop
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> you adding all these standards
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> is really pushing us [/quote]
Quote from: JrDude φ on May 31, 2010, 08:32:13 PM
3 of my friends smoke weed. Why? Well I asked one time, and this is what they said: "Because I can blow out smoke and it makes me feel like a intercourse ing dragon"

Nayrman

Thirdkoopa, I think Microsoft was considering a free "basic" package that was just online games with the minimum. Chat in games, gamertag, lobbys, etc. But none of the perks of the silver and gold memberships. I haven't heard any info on this though since the initial rumor came out a few months ago.

Sony is supposedly planning a premium membership, that will cost a fee but will have a lot more bells and whistles, and will most likely be the equivalent of XBL Gold membership, which would be okay in my book.

As far as your "passing glance" and "what is average" ideas that you sprang forth, finding in average is kind of difficult, although I'm sure we can come to some sort of median ground to be a "basic" package for online.
My opinions on Nintendo's online stems from both standalone online and comparisons to Sony and Microsoft. The comparison one is easy, Nintendo is absolutely horrendous compared to the PS3 and 360. It's not even a competition. Nintendo would be better off facing the Dreamcast in online, and even then it would face some stiff competition from the little box that almost could.

Standalone, Nintendo's online is pretty bad. Their individual downloads system is atrocious, relying on the points method, and is severely lacking in non-retro games. DLC, add-ons, demos, etc. are inherently impossible by the system itself, so I'll chalk that up to Nintendo being absurdly lazy in the hardware department.

Now the real meat, the online games. Just from the fact that it does nothing to impress is a major flaw. Friend Codes, only one way to voice chat (and a bad one at that), and basically no real interaction makes online feel less like human vs. human but more you vs. very smart PC's. It's lack of community is what really hinders it. What keeps me going online on the few PS3 games I do go online for is because of the community and such. I just don't see the point of going online for the Wii since there's no reason to. Many of the games themselves are unsound, obviously Brawl being the big example. Terrible lag, no lobbys, often dropped connections, and so on. The basic structure itself needs to be completely revised for the online to move forward. In my opinion (lol) there isn't anything salvage-able. Nintendo's complete lack of focus on it is also inherently problematic, almost as if they don't care their online is bad. To be perfectly honest, the best course of action right now would be to scrap what they have currently, and for the next home console, just blatantly copy Xbox or Playstation. Sure the Sony/Microsoft fanboys will yell copy, but at this point Nintendo fans will take any improvement, and even now a rushed copy job would be a vast improvement.

Hopefully that clears up my opinions on the matter.  :P

Cornwad

I used to think the Wii had decent internet, but when I first got a 360 I was blown away. The monthly fee is a very fair asking price for Live. I have a PS3, but the online setup is pretty bad compared to the 360's. If Nintendo stepped up their game, I would buy 10x the Wii games that I do now.

DededeCloneChris

I think the FC system that we have is nice. The Wii is supposed to be aimed at family communities, and sometimes, it aims at online games. Also, Nintendo is smart when thinking about all kinds of different games, but most of them do lack online features. I admit the Xbox and PS3 have better online (which you have to pay for, and most of their games always have to focus on something...what was it? Oh yeah, FPSs!), and the Wii Points is a bit better than having to spend money directly into games. I'm honest when I'm saying this.

Zero

It is, though.

I think the FC system that we have is nice. The Wii is supposed to be aimed at family communities, and sometimes, it aims at online games. Also, Nintendo is smart when thinking about all kinds of different games, but most of them do lack online features. I admit the Xbox and PS3 have better online (which you have to pay for, and most of their games always have to focus on something...what was it? Oh yeah, FPSs!), and the Wii Points is a bit better than having to spend money directly into games. I'm honest when I'm saying this.

Uh, no, it isn't. There's a reason why Nintendo is almost constantly criticized for its internet service.

If you've ever experienced Steam, XBL, or PSN, then you'd KNOW that Nintendo's online service isn't worth a poop.  I haven't done anything online with my Wii since Sin and Punishment was released on the VC. The last game I played online with my Wii was during the first week of Brawl's release.

You don't pay for PSN for one thing, and if you think that XBL and PSN primarily focus on shooters, you may not be incorrect as that is probably the most popular genre at the moment, but you are certainly incorrect if you think that's all the services have to offer. Hundreds upon hundreds of online games that AREN'T shooters are available through Steam, XBL, and PSN. You say Nintendo is smart for investing time in variety when the fact is, is that the other services offer FAR more variety than the Wii has to offer.

Friend codes were probably invented by the same poop hole that came up with tripping in Brawl

The service is terrible, end of story.

DededeCloneChris

Hmm, oh well, I guess I ignored a few key-points.

Let's see what Miyamoto comes up with for online. ;)