News:

<+Clu> have you tried barbecuing the computer

Main Menu

Occupy Wall Street

Started by Zero, October 11, 2011, 12:08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Custom

Quote from: Viewtifulboy on March 11, 2013, 07:28:20 AM
Good job! I, Viewtifulboy, declare you the CHAMPION!

I'm the official winner of the Viewtiful Victory roleplay championship!

BOREDFOREVER

I have opinions, too.  Here are some, related to some comments already made:

I'm one of those people with the degree looking at an absolutely abismal job market.  Yes, I have a job now, and am supporting my family.  But the job I do now is not in my degree field.  Not everyone can do construction (although you better intercourse ing believe I have applied for construction jobs).  Even manual labor is going tits up right now.  Every job market is flooded with overqualified applicants.

Here's the joke:  Companies REALLY don't want to hire college graduates for a lot of these jobs; they are afraid that someone who is overqualified will drop the position the minute something better comes along, and they don't want to waste money hiring and training people they think they might lose too soon.

And it hasn't been this bad for that long.  When I went into college a ton of fields were wide open.  Then mutual and hedge fund bankers start playing fast and loose, banks start doling out toxic loans, and the whole intercourse ing thing starts to fall apart.  The market floods with qualified, trained individuals from a variety of different companies that didn't make it out of the crash, and now you've got them applying for the same jobs fresh graduates are after.  Meanwhile, Johhny Hedgefund And Dick Toxic get bailed out and retain multi-million dollar bonuses.  AND they end up paying less taxes than your average janitor thanks to numerous loopholes.

Custom, I know where you're coming from.  We do have it better than some countries.  But it's not good enough right now.  If this slide continues, we will lose the middle class all together and we'll be just like some of those third world countries we sniff at now.  We'll have a rich as intercourse  1% ruling class and everyone else holding on for dear life and getting the intercourse ing poop taxed out of them.  And every time they get riled up, some rich poop hole will bring up gay marriage or flag burning to keep them distracted and in line.

Is this occupy movement worth anything?  I don't know.  The problem doesn't really lie with wallstreet anymore.  It lies with our own leaders, the ones who allow this kind of poop to go on.  And I see these rallys and wonder if these people have put any more thought into what they're really after than tea partiers have.  Yeah, things need to change.  But what, and how?  Wallstreet needs to be less greedy?  That's not going to happen.  It's their job to make money.  We need to look at tax law and industry regulation if we really want to get anywhere.  And that dude in the Guy Fawks mask holding a 99% sign really doesn't seem to be communicating that.  Nor does that retard jumping in at the end of the live shot to flip of the camera give the movement any kind of credibility.

BUT

Those dumb as brick Tea Partiers sure have made an actuall movement in Republican politics, just because there are a lot of votes to be had.  If Occupy can manage to outline even a couple of goals and get some Democrats to run those issues, it might be worth something.

CoasterKid93

Quote from: BOREDFANBOY on October 12, 2011, 07:58:40 PM
I have opinions, too.  Here are some, related to some comments already made:

I'm one of those people with the degree looking at an absolutely abismal job market.  Yes, I have a job now, and am supporting my family.  But the job I do now is not in my degree field.  Not everyone can do construction (although you better intercourse ing believe I have applied for construction jobs).  Even manual labor is going tits up right now.  Every job market is flooded with overqualified applicants.

Here's the joke:  Companies REALLY don't want to hire college graduates for a lot of these jobs; they are afraid that someone who is overqualified will drop the position the minute something better comes along, and they don't want to waste money hiring and training people they think they might lose too soon.

And it hasn't been this bad for that long.  When I went into college a ton of fields were wide open.  Then mutual and hedge fund bankers start playing fast and loose, banks start doling out toxic loans, and the whole intercourse ing thing starts to fall apart.  The market floods with qualified, trained individuals from a variety of different companies that didn't make it out of the crash, and now you've got them applying for the same jobs fresh graduates are after.  Meanwhile, Johhny Hedgefund And Dick Toxic get bailed out and retain multi-million dollar bonuses.  AND they end up paying less taxes than your average janitor thanks to numerous loopholes.

Custom, I know where you're coming from.  We do have it better than some countries.  But it's not good enough right now.  If this slide continues, we will lose the middle class all together and we'll be just like some of those third world countries we sniff at now.  We'll have a rich as intercourse  1% ruling class and everyone else holding on for dear life and getting the intercourse ing poop taxed out of them.  And every time they get riled up, some rich poop hole will bring up gay marriage or flag burning to keep them distracted and in line.

Is this occupy movement worth anything?  I don't know.  The problem doesn't really lie with wallstreet anymore.  It lies with our own leaders, the ones who allow this kind of poop to go on.  And I see these rallys and wonder if these people have put any more thought into what they're really after than tea partiers have.  Yeah, things need to change.  But what, and how?  Wallstreet needs to be less greedy?  That's not going to happen.  It's their job to make money.  We need to look at tax law and industry regulation if we really want to get anywhere.  And that dude in the Guy Fawks mask holding a 99% sign really doesn't seem to be communicating that.  Nor does that retard jumping in at the end of the live shot to flip of the camera give the movement any kind of credibility.

BUT

Those dumb as brick Tea Partiers sure have made an actuall movement in Republican politics, just because there are a lot of votes to be had.  If Occupy can manage to outline even a couple of goals and get some Democrats to run those issues, it might be worth something.
Quote from: whatwewishfor on March 14, 2014, 09:35:19 AM
DINAH I EAT DINAH EVERY NIGHT LAST NIGHT I HAD PIZZA HAHAHAHAH

Kayo

Actually contribute something once in a while instead of quoting other people's posts.

That first thing you said, BFB, is an interesting take on it that I frankly never thought of before.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

CoasterKid93

Quote from: Kayo on October 12, 2011, 08:13:19 PM
Actually contribute something once in a while instead of quoting other people's posts.

That first thing you said, BFB, is an interesting take on it that I frankly never thought of before.

Shut the intercourse  up, Kayo. I contributed more to this thread than you do to this board in a year.

Custom

Jesus Christ Kayo, you ran this thread down. If this forum has karma i would give you a NEGATIVE VOTE

Quote from: Viewtifulboy on March 11, 2013, 07:28:20 AM
Good job! I, Viewtifulboy, declare you the CHAMPION!

I'm the official winner of the Viewtiful Victory roleplay championship!

Bearissoslow

Quote from: CoasterKid93 on October 12, 2011, 08:14:49 PM
Shut the intercourse  up, Kayo. I contributed more to this thread than you do to this board in a year.

something about this made me laugh so much

okay i'll repsond to you post

Zero

Kayo i suggest you read through the thread a bit more.

Bearissoslow

Quote from: CoasterKid93 on October 12, 2011, 03:53:10 PM
"at the end of the day, socioeconomic responsibility is on your own shoulders. it's up to you to manage your own finances and making sure the ends meet."

Yes, I agree with this statement for the most part, but the problem STILL is that, after four decades of poor economic policy, the middle and lower classes remain in a state that's far less than adequate.

yeah, the problem lies in that no one's willing to admit how incredibly stupid the trickle down theory is and that reaganomics royally buttintercourse ed us for a good while. the system definitely needs to be arranged in a way that isn't completely idiotic and favoring of the high class, it's sending us down the poopter.

QuoteAlso, you write about how it's simply too bad that there exists a respectably sized group who simply cannot support themselves for a variety of reasons, and yet you still contend that it's up to them to support themselves. (Paragraphs 1 & 3)[I'm not misquoting you; you state "on your shoulders," which conveys personal responsibility]. Here's the thing: yes, you are right in that there is only so much the federal government, or state governments for that matter, can do. Of course, we do have specific programs in place to help these individuals, but we both know how well those programs are going. (PARTLY due to the fact that the federal government borrows from these institutions:http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/09/washington/09econ.html?_r=1&oref=slogin [Borrowing from a 2 trillion dollar social security SURPLUS in 2006]).

However, if these individuals remain unable to support themselves given the totality of this situation and current economic polices in effect, then basically what is being conveyed is a system that will continue to do nothing but perpetuate unemployment and economic malfeasance. That's not attempting to reverse a problem, it's just turning away from it.

no I agree, and as I've said, occupy wallstreet has the right idea for the wrong reasons. I'm overall glad that people are finally getting mad off enough to do something about it, but it honestly annoys the poop out of me when they parade their stories around like it's the saddest story since African child number twenty three. I do want this to do well, if I haven't shown that yet, and I would like for this to change some minds of conservatives who stand by the methods of governing that've sent us into the poopter.

QuoteFurthermore, in regards to your statement on education: "That's life kid. America's education system is in the poopter and unemployment is high. People aren't taking degrees as seriously as they would experience now. Is it bad? Yes. Am I supporting it? No."

That's not attempting to reverse a problem, that's just accepting it as something ("That's life kid") that cannot be fixed.

I should probably clarify then. I do want education to be reformed and for NCLB to get the intercourse  out of this state government because it's really chomping down on TEST SCORES TEST SCORES TEST SCORES and not enough on actual learning, just passive memorization a la Brave New World. as of now though, it's not something that could reasonably be fixed by the time a young adult is in college for it to significantly impact their education, or even within my education years, most likely. I don't wanna come off as "intercourse  it it's in god's hands" or anything, but it's kind of just something we can't fix for now, more in the future territory.

that and student loans will be eternal if there's really a god because he intercourse ing hates us lol

Quote(I truly hope I haven't misquoted anything that you have said, but given the context of the statements, I maintain my position).

nah you're fine now.

CoasterKid93

Whoever can form a policy adequate enough to resolve even half of these problems deserves a intercourse ing Nobel Prize.

The Riddler

Here's the thing. You don't think.

Silverhawk79

If this devolves into a poopstorm, I'll be mad. Just saying.

Bearissoslow

Quote from: CoasterKid93 on October 12, 2011, 09:08:23 PM
Whoever can form a policy adequate enough to resolve even half of these problems deserves a intercourse ing Nobel Prize.
pretty much

Kayo

Quote from: Zero on October 12, 2011, 09:02:27 PM
Kayo i suggest you read through the thread a bit more.
I actually don't really want to, lol. I don't give a rat's ass about what's going on here. It's just Custom and that Alex kid arguing about stuff that they can't do anything about.

In fact, I'm talking out my anus.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

PsychoYoshi

Quote from: Zero on October 11, 2011, 11:39:23 PM
Any sources for these statistics? Curious.

No source. General half-sarcastic observations. Never stated that they were truthful, but I am earnestly glad that you asked.

Quote from: Bearissoslow
and I would like for this to change some minds of conservatives who stand by the methods of governing that've sent us into the poopter.
Just conservatives? Both Team Red and Team Blue are complicit in the current state of affairs.