Main Menu

Stronghold of the Mysterious.

Started by Dill, October 03, 2008, 08:10:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

britneymahboy

Quote from: Dill on October 04, 2008, 08:16:10 PM
Quote from: britneymahboy on October 04, 2008, 11:55:09 AM
Cool; but what is "hape?"

If only you weren't so ignorant. Do you not know your English roots? Ape, coming from the ape, meaning insane, or uncontrollable. H, coming from the sound of a hiccup, meaning fullness, or happiness. When you combine the two, you get hape, meaning an unbound amount of happiness or excitedness.
Please, don't verbally castigate my ignorance as if I were some insolent child.  Only an insensate would scoff at someone for having made a perfectly fine inquiry.
As for the contribution of the word to the piece as a whole, it leaves me uneasy; it engenders a certain dissatisfaction.   It seems more of a heterodoxy of yours to say that one would become extremely happy at the smallest glimpse of "light;" it seems that supplanting "hape" with the word "hope" would make the work--at least for me--feel slightly more eloquent.   
NAMBLA

Dill

QuotePlease, don't verbally castigate my ignorance as if I were some insolent child.  Only an insensate would scoff at someone for having made a perfectly fine inquiry.

I could tell it was a pointed question, as there was another thread of mine where you posted specifically for the purpose of pointing out a typo I made. Either you are far too dumb to tell what I'm talking about when I don't spell something correctly, or you are an insolent child.

QuoteAs for the contribution of the word to the piece as a whole, it leaves me uneasy; it engenders a certain dissatisfaction.   It seems more of a heterodoxy of yours to say that one would become extremely happy at the smallest glimpse of "light;" it seems that supplanting "hape" with the word "hope" would make the work--at least for me--feel slightly more eloquent.

Why would one not be happy to see light? In this story, they did not anticipate light during their journey. If you were in a cave without a torch, and suddenly someone handed you a torch, wouldn't you not be happy as well?

Also, if you're going to look up words in the thesaurus, at least make it look like you didn't just turn from a babbling moron into a 15th century poet.

britneymahboy

Quote from: Dill on October 07, 2008, 06:28:51 PM
QuotePlease, don't verbally castigate my ignorance as if I were some insolent child.  Only an insensate would scoff at someone for having made a perfectly fine inquiry.

I could tell it was a pointed question, as there was another thread of mine where you posted specifically for the purpose of pointing out a typo I made. Either you are far too dumb to tell what I'm talking about when I don't spell something correctly, or you are an insolent child.

QuoteAs for the contribution of the word to the piece as a whole, it leaves me uneasy; it engenders a certain dissatisfaction.   It seems more of a heterodoxy of yours to say that one would become extremely happy at the smallest glimpse of "light;" it seems that supplanting "hape" with the word "hope" would make the work--at least for me--feel slightly more eloquent.

Why would one not be happy to see light? In this story, they did not anticipate light during their journey. If you were in a cave without a torch, and suddenly someone handed you a torch, wouldn't you not be happy as well?

Also, if you're going to look up words in the thesaurus, at least make it look like you didn't just turn from a babbling moron into a 15th century poet.
But 15th century literature is what I read...  Anyways, I truly thought It was a real word (it seemed like one at least) only after like a minute or two did I realize that it was a typo; I guess I just wasn't expecting one.  Also, a thesaurus is hardly apt for finding words by meaning;  I don't see how you would think that.  Although, I did write some words randomly, like "heterodox," that appeared a bit extreme when talking about such a trifling topic.
NAMBLA

Dill

Quote from: britneymahboy on October 08, 2008, 01:51:58 PM

But 15th century literature is what I read...  Anyways, I truly thought It was a real word (it seemed like one at least) only after like a minute or two did I realize that it was a typo; I guess I just wasn't expecting one.  Also, a thesaurus is hardly apt for finding words by meaning;  I don't see how you would think that.  Although, I did write some words randomly, like "heterodox," that appeared a bit extreme when talking about such a trifling topic.

Are you mad? A thesaurus is perfect for finding words by meaning, assuming that you have another word to explain it with. It's quite obvious that when you said eloquent that you looked up a more simple word, such as strong or powerful.

You also drew a bunch of random (if even real) words out of a hat, which shows that you do have access to literarily potent words, but refuse to use them with anyone except for myself. Which, although flattering, is quite sad. You could have easily won this argument by saying that I was an idiot for neglecting spell check in your native tongue.

britneymahboy

Quote from: Dill on October 08, 2008, 06:20:30 PM
Quote from: britneymahboy on October 08, 2008, 01:51:58 PM

Are you mad? A thesaurus is perfect for finding words by meaning, assuming that you have another word to explain it with. It's quite obvious that when you said eloquent that you looked up a more simple word, such as strong or powerful.

You also drew a bunch of random (if even real) words out of a hat, which shows that you do have access to literarily potent words, but refuse to use them with anyone except for myself. Which, although flattering, is quite sad. You could have easily won this argument by saying that I was an idiot for neglecting spell check in your native tongue.

I guess that you could if you had another, similar, word, but not by exact meaning.  I didn't mean eloquent in the sense of powerful but in the sense of beautiful and expressive.   I actually didn't use the thesaurus to find "eloquent" (I didn't even know it was a big word); I rarely do use it, because I'm afraid that a word might have a certain meaning but only for a special occasion.   Using words just because you saw it on the thesaurus  may end up causing malapropisms. 

Well, it was meant to flatter you, sir. I'm pretty sure all the words I used are real words--maybe.  And, just so you know, I would never, ever, call you an idiot for misspelling a word, even if it means winning an argument.  It was a common blunder that, at first, I failed to recognize. And neither would I start insulting you in my native language because I'm afraid that would cause even more confusion.
NAMBLA